The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 August 2011, 02:06 AM   #1
eric23
"TRF" Member

Zenith?

Any thoughts on Zenith watches? I am going to an AD today to look at this one;

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/c...flow/3/35/1062

I am thinking of getting a Panerai soon but I want to look at a pile of watches first to see if there is different one I want. I am thinking of a Sub or an SD too but I already have a few Rolex.

Thanks,

Eric
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 04:54 AM   #2
eric23
"TRF" Member

I tried it on I like it but I am not sure might be a bit too busy. Going to bring my wife for a second look this weekend.
Old 18 August 2011, 05:26 AM   #3
unknown
"TRF" Member

LOL

what a coincidence .... I just played 2 hours with this watch !
My friend bought one today and he came to visit me ( in fact he came to show his new toy)

It's a very nive watch
nice size , good finishing, legendary chronograph movement ....... AND A BARGAIN !!!

Old 18 August 2011, 05:31 AM   #4
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
LOL

My friend bought one today and he came to visit me ( in fact he came to show his new toy)

It's a very nive watch
nice size , good finishing, legendary chronograph movement ....... AND A BARGAIN !!!

Thanks for the photos, It just looks so nice!
Old 18 August 2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Zenith is just an overall great watch company. Don't forget that Rolex used to fit the Daytona with Zenith movements up until 2000 if I am not mistaken. Perhaps 1999.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 07:27 AM   #6
LouS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Black
Zenith is an outstanding watch at a good price - a robust, accurate base movement that is still a pack-leader 42 years after it was introduced and fit and finish as good or better than anything at comparable price. The Stratos just doesn't happen to be my kind of thing.
LouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
I tried some on for the first time yesterday. The Striking 10th may very well be my next - loved it. Although 42 mm, it wore very similarly to my GMTc. The dealer gave me a nice hard covered book on Zenith - in English which is nice considering I'm in Portugal.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 12:19 PM   #8
DFM1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me keep buying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
I tried some on for the first time yesterday. The Striking 10th may very well be my next - loved it. Although 42 mm, it wore very similarly to my GMTc. The dealer gave me a nice hard covered book on Zenith - in English which is nice considering I'm in Portugal.
This thread is really very timely. I just tried on the Striking 10th this morning and loved the watch as well. It will be my next watch. As Lou stated above, the fit and finish are superb and the 42mm was just perfect. I was also very impressed with the watches history, movement and accuracy. There was NOTHING not to like about this timepiece and look forward to adding it to my collection very soon.
DFM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 11:32 PM   #9
eric23
"TRF" Member

The only down point I can find is that most of their movements are not COSC Certified Chronograph. That might kill the sale for me.
Old 19 August 2011, 12:05 AM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM1 View Post
This thread is really very timely. I just tried on the Striking 10th this morning and loved the watch as well. It will be my next watch. As Lou stated above, the fit and finish are superb and the 42mm was just perfect. I was also very impressed with the watches history, movement and accuracy. There was NOTHING not to like about this timepiece and look forward to adding it to my collection very soon.
I have often given thought to getting one, however I have often given thought to others as well.

Maybe one day, I do think it would be a great watch to have.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 01:28 AM   #11
conrail
"TRF" Member

Zenith makes some fantastic watches and movements, but their dial designs are really all over the place. Something for everyone though! I don't believe you can buy them at ADs in the US though - please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Certainly there's plenty on the secondary market though and some great buys to be had!

The Striking 10th watch they have out now looks awesome, IMO
Old 19 August 2011, 12:07 PM   #12
LouS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
I don't believe you can buy them at ADs in the US though - please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
You're wrong on that. Zenith does not have a super-broad dealer network in the US, but there are more than a few ADs, including the ubiquitous Tourneau (not my personal fave). Just check out their website to find one.

here's some gratuitous shots of a Charles Vermot LE chronograph - Eric, please note COSC cert. Although honestly, if there is one movement about which there is little question regarding COSC-standard accuracy, it is the Primero, whether certified or not.

..and a little Striking 10th
Old 19 August 2011, 10:38 PM   #13
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouS View Post
You're wrong on that. Zenith does not have a super-broad dealer network in the US, but there are more than a few ADs, including the ubiquitous Tourneau (not my personal fave). Just check out their website to find one.

here's some gratuitous shots of a Charles Vermot LE chronograph - Eric, please note COSC cert. Although honestly, if there is one movement about which there is little question regarding COSC-standard accuracy, it is the Primero, whether certified or not.
Good to know, thanks (maybe I was confusing it with Tudor re US AD sales..). Sweet movement shot btw! How is the "fit and finish" on the Striking 10th. Quality? I love the look of it.
Old 19 August 2011, 11:22 PM   #14
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice watch, Thanks for the photos, I really like the look of the Zenith!
Old 20 August 2011, 12:05 AM   #15
DFM1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me keep buying!
Quote:

..and a little Striking 10th
Looks great Lou. How long have you had it and how do you like it so far? Thinking about acquiring one soon and just wanted the opinion of someone who actually owns one! Thanks in advance. Drew
DFM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 04:53 AM   #16
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

I tried searching for ADs on their website yesterday and could not find any. All I found was a list of their worldwide boutiques. I called customer service and found one near me in Northern Virginia. Going to check out the pilot chronohraph this weekend.

Captain Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 10:04 AM   #17
LouS
"TRF" Member

Thanks gents. Fit and finish is exemplary. I could just gush away - people who know me know that I am a major Zenith aficionado - but I'll mention three things to this experienced watch crowd.

One is, this watch wears large. It measures 42mm, but because the design is "all dial" it has a lot of wrist presence. That can be either a negative or a positive, depending on where you sit on the watch size debate. I am a vintage collector, so it looks a litle largish to my eye - but wearable.

Two is, the chrono hand on the Striking 10th has a bit of bounce to it, as a result of the speed of rotation and method of transmitting power to it. It is accurate, and stops exactly on a hashmark each time, but bounces a bit as it rotates. Doesn't bug me, but it's there and looks a hair sloppy compared to the super smooth track of the normal Primero. Check it out for yourself when you go look at the watch.

Three is - and this is a pet peeve - the overlap of the sbidals obscures part of the track of the minutes subdial on the regular chrono. It irritates me - no, it actually wounds me - that a serious chronograph house like Zenith would sacrifice functionality to design in this way, especially as this compromise was not present on any of the vintage models.

Don't take any of this as a negative review - I just think that the postiives - legendary movement, elegant design, superb finish - are self-evident, and you guys would appreciate my mentioning some less obvious stuff.
Old 23 August 2011, 12:06 AM   #18
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirkwood View Post
I tried searching for ADs on their website yesterday and could not find any. All I found was a list of their worldwide boutiques. I called customer service and found one near me in Northern Virginia. Going to check out the pilot chronohraph this weekend.

I like that watch too!:)
Old 23 August 2011, 01:28 AM   #19
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Zenith is a great company that has a lower profile amongst non-WIS. Top notch movements (best chronograph in the world) with reasonable prices for what they are. They remind me of JLC a lot, a true watchmaker's watch, you cant go wrong.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 02:05 AM   #20
Captain Kirkwood
"TRF" Member

I was not impressed with the pilot chrono. Looks better in pics than in person. The dial appears to sit very close to the crystal. And the luminous markers looked cheap and plasticky to me.

But the Striking Tenth... that watch is nice! If you don't mind the overlap.
Captain Kirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2011, 12:11 AM   #21
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
.. the chrono hand on the Striking 10th has a bit of bounce to it, as a result of the speed of rotation and method of transmitting power to it. It is accurate, and stops exactly on a hashmark each time, but bounces a bit as it rotates. Doesn't bug me, but it's there and looks a hair sloppy compared to the super smooth track of the normal Primero. Check it out for yourself when you go look at the watch.
I did notice this bounce when I first tried one on a couple of weeks ago, but was in such awe of the beauty that I ignored it. I am back home and quickly sourced out my local dealers and went to check it out again. The bounce is still there, and bothers me a little bit. It's understandable considering the chrono hand is moving much quicker, but I think I prefer the cleaner movement of the 36,000 vph.

I also noticed that the price of the Striking 10th was much higher than any of the other El Primeros. I'm sure it is partly due to the mechanics of the chrono hand, but wonder if a premium is also charged due to a higher demand?
Old 27 August 2011, 12:45 AM   #22
eric23
"TRF" Member

I reallt like that Striking 10th but the price is way to high for me.

I ended up going with a used Rolex SD.
Old 27 August 2011, 12:59 AM   #23
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

For chrono, zenith certainly has a soft-spot for WIS.
Dickson Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2011, 01:39 AM   #24
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Are the hands gold on the one in the pics?? Or is it just the lighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
LOL

It's a very nive watch

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2011, 02:42 AM   #25
LouS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I also noticed that the price of the Striking 10th was much higher than any of the other El Primeros. I'm sure it is partly due to the mechanics of the chrono hand, but wonder if a premium is also charged due to a higher demand?
I think it's due to that and also, until the new 38mm line of chronographs came out this year, there was no other way to get the multicolor subdials which many people find appealing except on a Striking 10th - the multicolor subdials are a Zenith trademark since the original Primero in 1969. Which gives me a nice opportunity to toss in a couple of pics of the vintage...

Old 28 August 2011, 04:08 AM   #26
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Very nice. The multi-coloured dials are largely what attracts me to the Striking 10th.
Old 31 August 2011, 10:03 AM   #27
enronforme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love 'em all
I have an open faced chronomaster being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

Bob
Old 31 August 2011, 10:38 AM   #28
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enronforme View Post
I have an open faced chronomaster being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

Bob
Very nice. Congrats. let's see some pics when it arrives.
Old 31 August 2011, 10:44 AM   #29
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's due to that and also, until the new 38mm line of chronographs came out this year, there was no other way to get the multicolor subdials which many people find appealing except on a Striking 10th - the multicolor subdials are a Zenith trademark since the original Primero in 1969. Which gives me a nice opportunity to toss in a couple of pics of the vintage...

LouS,

I have been thinking about this watch over the past few days. I think I prefer it to the modern Striking 10th. I hope you don't mind answering a few questions:

1 - What is the numbering to 100 used for? I was guessing that the chrono hand moves a full circle in 100 seconds (as opposed to 10 seconds on the modern version), but then I don't think the tachymeter would work.

2 - what is the case width (excluding crown).

Thanks, Rich
Old 31 August 2011, 11:16 AM   #30
LouS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LouS,

I have been thinking about this watch over the past few days. I think I prefer it to the modern Striking 10th. I hope you don't mind answering a few questions:

1 - What is the numbering to 100 used for? I was guessing that the chrono hand moves a full circle in 100 seconds (as opposed to 10 seconds on the modern version), but then I don't think the tachymeter would work.

2 - what is the case width (excluding crown).

Thanks, Rich
Rich,

The 0-100 is just a decimal scale. I understand that time is usually reported in this way (i.e. 1.25 minutes instead of 1min 15 sec) in some sports and industries. The second sweeper makes a complete sweep around the dial in one minute, just like any regular chronograph.

It is 38mm in diameter without the crown. It wears large because the lugs stick straight out rather than wrap around the wrist.

Here's the Striking 10th and the vintage to help you compare

The best part is, IF you can find one it is much cheaper than a Striking 10th. But as with all vintages, beware of fakes or frankens - many have been tampered with. They are all about 40 years old too, so wear and tear play a role as well. I've posted a guide to these models on another forum - I'm not sure it's OK to put an external link here, but Mr. Google should help you find it.

If all that vintage hassle turns you off (I thrive on it!), then know that Zenith has released a line of 38mm regular (non-striking 10th) chronographs this year, and this color scheme is available. I understand they are to start hitting retailers in late September.