The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 August 2018, 10:17 PM   #31
kcornwell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Thanks again for the help. You guys are awesome!
kcornwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 10:38 PM   #32
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
You did the right thing passing on it. It’s pretty unsettling buying something fake. I’m a bit more comfortable with the risk because I have a few good deals already sealed. You were wise how you approached it.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:18 PM   #33
kcornwell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I wish I had bought it though! I don't mind some risk. I have a Rolex dealer here a mile from my house.
kcornwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:36 AM   #34
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Once again, we've got this sort of thing:

"The dial is fake"
"I disagree, the dial appears to be genuine to my eye"
"Run away and don't look back"
"No, someone got a great deal on a genuine 1680"

What's a newbie....or, for that matter, even someone who's been doing this for a while, and still learning...supposed to make of comments like these without any supportive evidence. As it stands, I STILL don't know if that watch is legit!
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:55 AM   #35
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Once again, we've got this sort of thing:

"The dial is fake"
"I disagree, the dial appears to be genuine to my eye"
"Run away and don't look back"
"No, someone got a great deal on a genuine 1680"

What's a newbie....or, for that matter, even someone who's been doing this for a while, and still learning...supposed to make of comments like these without any supportive evidence. As it stands, I STILL don't know if that watch is legit!
I was referring to the dial itself...the watch may not be legit at all, the evidence of why I think it’s real is simply in the level of detail I see in this particular example..basing this solely off a few grainy pictures...would I have spent $1200 on it..no
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:13 AM   #36
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
I was referring to the dial itself...the watch may not be legit at all, the evidence of why I think it’s real is simply in the level of detail I see in this particular example..basing this solely off a few grainy pictures...would I have spent $1200 on it..no
Chris, I totally understand. This was more of a commentary about this dilemma:
Take a watch. It's either real, or it's not. It's binary. It should be that simple. Yet....
In this watch's case (no pun intended) I wouldn't presume to claim it's real or not simply because I can't say with 100% certainty it's one or the other.

All too often, someone will post "Fake!" and six comments later someone else will post "It's real."

What's a prospective buyer, or even enthusiest, supposed to make of that?

Sorry....not having a particularly good morning.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:59 PM   #37
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Chris, I totally understand. This was more of a commentary about this dilemma:
Take a watch. It's either real, or it's not. It's binary. It should be that simple. Yet....
In this watch's case (no pun intended) I wouldn't presume to claim it's real or not simply because I can't say with 100% certainty it's one or the other.

All too often, someone will post "Fake!" and six comments later someone else will post "It's real."

What's a prospective buyer, or even enthusiest, supposed to make of that?

Sorry....not having a particularly good morning.
No need to apologize dude..I understand, and I agree with you honestly, it is frustrating, especially when I voice my opinion and others just respond with “lol” or some other just overly confident response...what the hell is that? It is funny how many people on here seem to be vintage Rolex experts, when in reality, don’t know squat..I sure as hell have NEVER claimed to be an expert on anything Rolex related, especially when it comes to anything in the vintage world...one of the aspects that I love, for me anyway, of this hobby are all the small nuances between the different references...when I think I know absolutely all there is to know I’ll find a new hobby...good thing for me is that’ll likely never happen..having been a member for years and learning all that I have from the true experts when answering my own or others questions with such amazing and detailed responses is what makes this place very special for me and I’m going to make it a point to do the same bc you’re right, not outlining why I feel a certain way is doing no one any good..hope the rest of your day got better buddy and have an excellent weekend
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote