The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 August 2018, 03:32 AM   #1
Mumfsnuff
"TRF" Member

Daytona 6263/0

Hi y'all,

I discovered my close family member has a gem of a watch. He bought himself a 6263/0 Daytona to celebrate a milestone. I think it is from 1978 based on the serial number (55XXXXX).

(By the way, I almost blew his mind when I told him the value. He almost sold the watch off cheaply after being upset about the first RSC quote he received in the late 80s. I attach the only picture I have. Sorry for the poor photography. It's all he gave me. Must have been shaking he was so excited. I would be!!!)

Anyway, he took it to the local RSC and received a quote. I am hoping to get some advice about some of the suggested scope of work as I am weary about some of the suggested changes to the watch which will swap out some vintage parts with current parts.

However, what about their suggestions for the following:

1. Restoration Overhaul - This is what we want to achieve, but it looks like some movement and other parts may be replaced, or RSC won't do the work. We will clarify what RSC expects will be replaced in the movement on this front. Do you have any advice? I don't want to devalue the watch. Would allowing RSC to replace movement parts with newer ones be an issue?

2. Crown/Tube/Gaskets - I don't like the fact that they want to replace the crown with a current model version. Any suggestions/comments? I don't think they will service the watch without doing so. What about the tube and gaskets?

3. Crystal - I don't like the suggestion to replace with a current crystal, but perhaps this isn't a big deal. Either way, I think there are some on this forum (new old stock) for $200

4. RSC noted "Please note that the watch was originally designed with a black insert." I assume they are referring to the bezel? Can anyone comment on this. From what I have seen in my research some had a black bezel and some had the stainless. My relative says he doesn't recall that ever being changed. Any info you could provide would be great.

Thanks and I really appreciate advice from those with knowledge of these high end pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Red crop.jpg (211.1 KB, 317 views)
Mumfsnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 06:17 PM   #2
edtheaussie
"TRF" Member

Hey mate,

Can't really help with authenticity, but would suggest trying to keep it as original as possible, as new parts will decrease value significantly.

Im not sure how strict the RSC is, but know that omega will only rarely not replace vintage parts, so would probably suggest having the watch serviced by a reputable third party watchmaker.

Also if you can get some clearer photo's post em!, so the knowledgable members can help out!
edtheaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 07:22 PM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

That is a beautiful piece. Replacing crown will increase water resistance, but I definitely wouldn’t advise him to swim in it. I would simply insist that a movement service is carried out only and no visible parts replaced. Crystal is not such a concern, but unless it has chips/cracks it can be polished using toothpaste for example. Anyway, wait for the real experts to chime in as they may also be more local.
Old 19 August 2018, 08:42 PM   #4
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Do not send to a RSC. Google LAWW or Bob or Philip Ridley. They are excellent with vintage work and will know how to handle it. It’s doubtful that it had a different bezel, leave it. The original crystal is important to keep unless you can find NOS original to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 02:13 AM   #5
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
It looks like a 6265/0 to me but take the bracelet off and check both the serial number and the ref number .
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Mumfsnuff
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. RSC identified the model and serial number. So I hope they’re right! Would love to hear more thoughts. I’m also thinking of using a 3rd party reputable company to service.
Mumfsnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 12:59 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Whatever watchmaker you use, whether it's an RSC or good independent, remember that safety should come first. If you need to replace crown/tube/crystal/gaskets to ensure a seal, I'd do it, but try to keep the originals (not usually possible at an RSC.) Everything else ... leave alone!

Just for the record ... there are plenty of vintage collectors who have no problem going to an RSC, but they just give clear instructions on what to leave alone, usually the dial/hands/case.

(Photo courtesy of Jedly1)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5856.jpg (261.9 KB, 116 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 01:01 AM   #8
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Yeah I would just do a movement service
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 05:24 AM   #9
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Whatever watchmaker you use, whether it's an RSC or good independent, remember that safety should come first. If you need to replace crown/tube/crystal/gaskets to ensure a seal, I'd do it, but try to keep the originals (not usually possible at an RSC.) Everything else ... leave alone!

Just for the record ... there are plenty of vintage collectors who have no problem going to an RSC, but they just give clear instructions on what to leave alone, usually the dial/hands/case.

(Photo courtesy of Jedly1)
I would go with safety first, but keep all original parts. Congrats!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote