The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 August 2018, 10:27 AM   #1
Kjp061987
Banned

Watch: PAM512
Newbie AP acquisition advice

I’m close to getting the green light from the wife and curious to hear opinions on best way to acquire an AP when you don’t live near an AD or Boutique. I’m in Dallas/Fort Worth area, and our local AD stopped carrying AP early this year. I rarely visit Houston which is the closest AD, but I have trips in the next 6 months to both NYC and London. Has anyone had success getting on a waitlist over the phone? Will a London AD even consider dealing with a customer that is not local? Just looking for some advice on how to proceed and be taken seriously. I’m in no rush, and certainly don’t mind waiting to acquire at retail. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kjp061987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Just my opinion, but especially since you are starting out fresh, I would use ADs purely for browsing, sizing and trying things on if they have it. Use trusted, proven reputable grey market sellers to buy everything. I have gone this route for over 25 years and have saved thousands on practically every purchase, not counting the tax, with no wait and most of the time shipped to my door. There are many excellent sellers on this forum alone. Happy to refer some to you via PM and I am sure many others will chime in and can do the same. I have gone over this in detail in several posts but regardless of how you proceed, happy hunting!
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:22 AM   #3
T3F
"TRF" Member

In December, I was looking for a 15400 blue dial but didn't live near any retailers. I called all the boutiques in the U.S., and none of them had one until the Bay Harbour one. I'd never stepped foot in the store, but they still assisted me and, after a few phone calls and email exchanges, I had the watch on my wrist the following day. A few months later, I got on the waitlist for a 15202ST and got it last month.

Long story short, if you know what you want, boutiques (or at least the Bal Harbour one) will sell to you over the phone.
Old 20 August 2018, 12:13 PM   #4
Kjp061987
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Just my opinion, but especially since you are starting out fresh, I would use ADs purely for browsing, sizing and trying things on if they have it. Use trusted, proven reputable grey market sellers to buy everything. I have gone this route for over 25 years and have saved thousands on practically every purchase, not counting the tax, with no wait and most of the time shipped to my door. There are many excellent sellers on this forum alone. Happy to refer some to you via PM and I am sure many others will chime in and can do the same. I have gone over this in detail in several posts but regardless of how you proceed, happy hunting!

Thanks for your feedback! I’d love to hear from you regarding trusted sellers. I’m not opposed to the grey market, but even a silver dial 15400 is above retail at the moment.

Old 20 August 2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Kjp061987
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
In December, I was looking for a 15400 blue dial but didn't live near any retailers. I called all the boutiques in the U.S., and none of them had one until the Bay Harbour one. I'd never stepped foot in the store, but they still assisted me and, after a few phone calls and email exchanges, I had the watch on my wrist the following day. A few months later, I got on the waitlist for a 15202ST and got it last month.

Long story short, if you know what you want, boutiques (or at least the Bal Harbour one) will sell to you over the phone.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’ll give Bal Harbour a call.

Old 20 August 2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjp061987 View Post
Thanks for your feedback! I’d love to hear from you regarding trusted sellers. I’m not opposed to the grey market, but even a silver dial 15400 is above retail at the moment.

15400s can absolutely be had grey for retail. They list them a bit over ( they all usually do) but ultimately they will move them for retail and less depending on their inventory. There's a few here marked up around $1k, which in my book means they can be had for retail and of course no tax. FYI, aside from my 15407 last week, I have purchased every single AP and Rolex under retail and most of the time saving huge. Just take your time and shop around.
Old 20 August 2018, 04:22 PM   #7
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Is it the 15400 silver you are after?

Until we know what model & dial you are looking for advice is going to be very generalised.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 07:24 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you want a 42mm ROO you have a good chance, even in London, if you want a RO then no real chance for a tourist.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 10:05 PM   #9
Kjp061987
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Is it the 15400 silver you are after?

Until we know what model & dial you are looking for advice is going to be very generalised.

Yes, sorry. Just a minor detail to leave out of my original post. :bangs head:

15400 silver or blue dial is what I’d be looking for.

Old 21 August 2018, 12:00 AM   #10
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
@Kjp061987, why not reach out to the Vegas boutique, where you've already made contact with a salesperson, and ask to be put on a list? You can still drop by the NYC and London boutiques on your travels.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 01:43 AM   #11
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Yes, sorry. Just a minor detail to leave out of my original post. :bangs head:

15400 silver or blue dial is what I’d be looking for.

Ok well that’s two different routes!

Silver is a standard issue model so you can go boutique with 0% discount (maybe some freebies), AD and try for some discount if any or go TS, last time I looked they were just under retail. But following the trends of other brands discounts are not what they used to be!

The blue however is boutique only so you’ll have to find a boutique willing to add you to the list and wait it out or grey/TS and pay a premium, in this scenario getting at retail is a discount

Blue obviously is the more popular one hence the above but I’d try and find both to try on and get a feel and not just buy based on price, as you’ll only regret it! Mind you if a blue comes up at retail take it as if you do change your mind it would be an easy move.
Old 21 August 2018, 01:57 AM   #12
Kjp061987
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
@Kjp061987, why not reach out to the Vegas boutique, where you've already made contact with a salesperson, and ask to be put on a list? You can still drop by the NYC and London boutiques on your travels.

Thanks for the reply! I will reach out again to the salesperson at LV, but when I was there in April, they were not taking names for blue dial.

Old 21 August 2018, 02:02 AM   #13
Kjp061987
Banned

Quote:
Ok well that’s two different routes!

Silver is a standard issue model so you can go boutique with 0% discount (maybe some freebies), AD and try for some discount if any or go TS, last time I looked they were just under retail. But following the trends of other brands discounts are not what they used to be!

The blue however is boutique only so you’ll have to find a boutique willing to add you to the list and wait it out or grey/TS and pay a premium, in this scenario getting at retail is a discount

Blue obviously is the more popular one hence the above but I’d try and find both to try on and get a feel and not just buy based on price, as you’ll only regret it! Mind you if a blue comes up at retail take it as if you do change your mind it would be an easy move.

Thanks for your input! I was lucky enough to see the silver dial and was blown away. I’d always leaned towards blue dial, but I’m not sure I’ll ever actually be able to see one in person, so that’s a tough pill to swallow.

My main concern is not getting the face time necessary to prove myself as an authentic buyer that will keep and love the watch forever. I am sure boutiques get several phone calls daily about a blue dial 15400. I think that’s where I will start though, as I’m not opposed to waiting for the perfect piece.

Old 21 August 2018, 02:06 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Thanks for your input! I was lucky enough to see the silver dial and was blown away. I’d always leaned towards blue dial, but I’m not sure I’ll ever actually be able to see one in person, so that’s a tough pill to swallow.

My main concern is not getting the face time necessary to prove myself as an authentic buyer that will keep and love the watch forever. I am sure boutiques get several phone calls daily about a blue dial 15400. I think that’s where I will start though, as I’m not opposed to waiting for the perfect piece.

I’ve heard variations in this policy but I think blue 15400s must be a second purchase at a minimum.
Old 21 August 2018, 03:12 AM   #15
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Bal Harbour and NY are only boutique that'll get you a 15400 blue dial w/out giving you flack of purchase history. One of the Westime boutiques offered me a 15400 blue IF I bought a ladies watch with it.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 03:14 AM   #16
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’ve heard variations in this policy but I think blue 15400s must be a second purchase at a minimum.
Wonder what their purchase criteria is for the 15202 or even the 15407
Old 21 August 2018, 03:16 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Wonder what their purchase criteria is for the 15202 or even the 15407
I think you need two buys to get on the list for 407 but the list is several years long. I bet that list is fluid based on purchase amount.

I think it was 1 buy to get in the 15202 list but could be two now. I’d have to check.
Old 21 August 2018, 05:45 AM   #18
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I will reach out again to the salesperson at LV, but when I was there in April, they were not taking names for blue dial.
It could possibly be a timing thing. I called a couple boutiques about this time last year and couldn't even get a call back. Called again in November/December, and got an a waiting list at Bal Harbour with 25% deposit. I wonder if chances are better later in the year, when next year's allocations are determined?

Of course, the market is always changing, and what worked for me last year may not work this year.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #19
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Bal Harbour and NY are only boutique that'll get you a 15400 blue dial w/out giving you flack of purchase history. One of the Westime boutiques offered me a 15400 blue IF I bought a ladies watch with it.
I recently heard that the NY boutique will not add a first-time customer to the blue 15400 list. This is a relatively new policy change/development.
Old 21 August 2018, 06:45 AM   #20
SC11
Banned

Quote:
I think you need two buys to get on the list for 407 but the list is several years long. I bet that list is fluid based on purchase amount.

I think it was 1 buy to get in the 15202 list but could be two now. I’d have to check.
Not that bad then!

Some could say easier then the Rolex game!

And of course they are dynamic
Old 21 August 2018, 07:10 AM   #21
N&M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712+RO+3 Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac10000 View Post
I recently heard that the NY boutique will not add a first-time customer to the blue 15400 list. This is a relatively new policy change/development.
not only in NY.
In Amsterdam and Geneva you have to be their client to be signed in list.
In Moscow they don't make new names for blue list
N&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 08:37 AM   #22
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We should all take caution when we are told what will "get you on the list" for something. I had it explained to me by a few boutique managers, after long chats, that when they give you a "minimum requirement" to get on a list for something, this will almost always mean the minimum requirement to get you at the back of the line, and be assured that all customers with more significant purchases and longer relationships will continue to jump ahead of you. This entire "get you on the list" ploy is pretty ruthless but really the only power they have to keep customers loyal to a location and buy retail. Also seems to be a huge disadvantage to then be chained to one location and at their mercy, not to mention their allocations, when everyone else has the world's boutiques, dealers and grey sellers at their disposal to find the best deal at that time.
Old 21 August 2018, 10:22 AM   #23
mustangtornado
"TRF" Member

I’m also in Dallas and am just as disappointed as you as losing local AP...I purchased 2 APs from them last year. Bal Harbour has been fantastic every time i’ve been...the staff are consistently amazing. Just purchased from them for the first time this year and it won’t be the last. Take wifey down to Miami, stay at the excellent Four Seasons Surfside, 60 seconds from the Bal Harbour mall. Try on some watches, chat with the sales people and tell them what you’re interested in.
mustangtornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:20 AM   #24
Kjp061987
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtornado View Post
I’m also in Dallas and am just as disappointed as you as losing local AP...I purchased 2 APs from them last year. Bal Harbour has been fantastic every time i’ve been...the staff are consistently amazing. Just purchased from them for the first time this year and it won’t be the last. Take wifey down to Miami, stay at the excellent Four Seasons Surfside, 60 seconds from the Bal Harbour mall. Try on some watches, chat with the sales people and tell them what you’re interested in.

Ha! I like your style and think I could talk wifey into doing exactly that. Thank you for sharing your experience!