The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 August 2018, 08:43 PM   #1
skippy1
"TRF" Member

Icon9 Rolex 1675 HELP (for a complete dope) **UPDATE**

Calling all vintage experts. Should I buy this watch??????

(After finding more pics, I now think the service dial and hands are LUMINOVA and not Tritium)

Let me start by saying that I know very little about vintage Rolex. Even so, I've always really liked the 1675. I recently stopped by a small Rolex AD who had a 1675 from roughly 1960 or so (nice pointy crown-guards).

The thing is...it's been completely refurbished, (I think in the 90s) Pretty much everything has been swapped out (for genuine Rolex parts). The AD said they knew the bezel had been replaced in the 90s but wasn't sure about everything else.

- Replacement dial (Luminova?)
- Replacement hands (Luminova?)
- Replacement bezel and insert
- Replacement bracelet and clasp
- All that seems to be original are those pointy crown-guards

The replacement parts don't bother me much. I'm not big on patina and am just thinking of adding this as an everyday piece in the rotation.

My question is, with all of the replacement parts is this worth $11000.00 or will I lose my shirt if I get tired of it and try to sell it in a couple of years?

Sorry for the long post and thanks to anyone kind enough to weigh in.

See my one not so great wrist shot below (told you I was a dope)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1675-1.jpg (288.2 KB, 500 views)
skippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 09:19 PM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Don’t buy it for 11k. You will hate yourself eventually if you do. For that amount you can find yourself a nice, fairly early matte GMT that looks even more dope on your wrist. Trust me.
Old 18 August 2018, 10:08 PM   #3
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Not worth it. If you don’t care about vintage but want a Rolex GMT look at the BLNR for less than 11k.
If you want a vintage Pepsi a correct example can be found for similar money.
I would pass.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Woody
"TRF" Member

I like the watch and it is the type of example that I would buy.....but then I am not a collector and I like to have my watches to wear. That said I think it is priced on the high-side so probably worth some negotiation. At the end of the day you should buy what you like and IMO it is best not to make your decisions based on future resale value etc..........Good luck with your decision and thanks for sharing the details.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 11:23 PM   #5
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
If you REALLY like it, but it. That’s pretty high for that watch IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 11:25 PM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I like the watch and it is the type of example that I would buy.....but then I am not a collector and I like to have my watches to wear. That said I think it is priced on the high-side so probably worth some negotiation. At the end of the day you should buy what you like and IMO it is best not to make your decisions based on future resale value etc..........Good luck with your decision and thanks for sharing the details.
I agree you should buy what you like, but speaking from experience, and, like many collectors and even casual collectors, there’s a very, very, very great chance you’re going to try to sell it down the road. And when you do, you will get nine million questions, unparalleled scrutiny, and, very likely, offers way below what you want. I’m going through that right now, and it’s exhausting.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 11:41 PM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well the dial isn’t luminous per its markings. All you need to do is view it with your hand cupping the watch to check. No glow would indicate hands and dial are tritium.

A replacement bezel and/or insert aren’t a deal killer. As long as it’s all authentic parts then it’s a fairly good Pepsi.

But the price is something you’d have to weigh against your patience.

For a 2-year ownership window it seems high. But could you see a 10-year, or longer, ownership horizon?

If so, then the high price they’re asking is just pennies a day above average prices to get what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 12:06 AM   #8
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
It'd be a nice watch to wear if at say 7K but for 11K I think you could find something with original dial, hands and insert. Do you want a daily wearer, or something that will be admired by the vintage experts?

My 1675 has a replacement insert and I still like it, but I paid 2013 prices and am not so strict with my watches as many of the members here (also I do not spend as much, many of the members here are rather more established than I am.) I buy my watches to wear, I don't have any really special watches. If you're in the same boat and can talk the seller down a bit, this might be a good watch for you.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 02:30 AM   #9
Cheutc
"TRF" Member

At 11k you can pretty much get a 16750 all original matte dial
Cheutc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 03:28 AM   #10
omitohud
"TRF" Member

I’ll buy all $11k matte dial original 1675 or 16750 in decent condition, please. Let me know if anyone is selling. Cash on hand. PM me soon.

$11k is a tad high for that watch. If u can get it below $10k, it’s a very wearable and handsome watch. Although for that kind of money I would look for a nice Pepsi 167xx with box n papers. Except for the crown guard, with all the service parts, that watch looks like a 5 digits anyway. My 2 cents.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 04:34 AM   #11
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Swing by HQ Milton in San Francisco, great selection of pieces typically.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 08:28 AM   #12
skippy1
"TRF" Member

I'd like to take a moment to give a sincere thank you to everyone who was willing to take the time to weigh in on my dilemma. I really do appreciate it.
Since, not one person (not one) thought it was a good deal, I'm going to pass on the watch.
I really do think I've been bitten by that vintage bug though. There's just something about that smaller and thinner case that gives the watch some inherent charm I think is lacking in modern Rolex. Now I just need to find a 1675 or 16750 in good condition that won't completely bankrupt me. A few people said I should be able to find one for around $11000.00, but I can't honestly find one.

Thanks again and good luck to all.
skippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 09:35 AM   #13
Woody
"TRF" Member

I am not a great one for giving advice but all I would say is that if I have any regrets in my life it is over the things I didn't do/buy.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 08:31 AM   #14
yashparikh03
"TRF" Member

11k is too high . I would not go above 6k since its all replacement part.
yashparikh03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 05:43 PM   #15
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy1 View Post
I'd like to take a moment to give a sincere thank you to everyone who was willing to take the time to weigh in on my dilemma. I really do appreciate it.
Since, not one person (not one) thought it was a good deal, I'm going to pass on the watch.
I really do think I've been bitten by that vintage bug though. There's just something about that smaller and thinner case that gives the watch some inherent charm I think is lacking in modern Rolex. Now I just need to find a 1675 or 16750 in good condition that won't completely bankrupt me. A few people said I should be able to find one for around $11000.00, but I can't honestly find one.

Thanks again and good luck to all.

A nice late 70’s 1675 sold close to your ideal price, $mid 12’s. It was all correct but had service insert. It sold really quick though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2018, 07:15 PM   #16
chows99
"TRF" Member

11,000 is hard to get a decent condition 1675. U need to up budget to at least 12,13. Look at watchrecon to get a sense of the price.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote