The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10 February 2011, 03:46 PM   #1
iiinycboi
"TRF" Member

Autheticating Rolex help

Hello everyone!

I am new to these forums and i was recently pass down a vintage watch from my father. Ever since then i started to develop a taste for collecting watches and want to know more about them!

Anyways, i recently acquired a 1655 Explorer II with the orange hand aka steve mcqueen(without papers and box) I have started reading up on the watch and the 3 different generations of the watch. I started comparing the watch to pictures i found in these forums and i noticed some strange inconsistencies with the dial and band.

The dial says T swiss T on the bottom which i believe is the original dial for the watch. The second hand is the luminous dot which i believe makes the watch the second generations of the 1655 series.

Now when comparing with the pictures online i started to noticed that the crown logo is the first generation crown with the smallest oval hole. I believe 1655 dials uses the 2nd version of the crown logos? And it also has no spacing in between the crown logo and the triangle on top (where the number 12 should be)

The T Swiss T does not line up with the lines that are shown on other people's watches.

Also i quickly checked the band and noticed the head links are 593 when the 1655 second generation comes with 580 bands. There are also no reference on the band.

Is there other things i should be looking at to try and authenticate Rolex watches? I believe if you open the watch there should be 2 purple gears if it is an authentic Rolex.

Can someone give me some pointers in spotting fakes and authenticating Rolex watches?

Sorry for the long first post! Thank you and any help is very appreciated!
iiinycboi is offline   Reply With Quote