The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2019, 06:07 PM   #1
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Speedmaster sizing question

Hi!

I currently only have one watch, and will probably only buy another one to have as more of a beater or to have something to wear when I have to send it for service etc. I’ve been looking and I haven’t found many that I really like, but the Speedmaster is just amazing. The thing is that I have very tiny wrists, around 6.25”.

At first when I tried it months ago I thought it was way too big. But now I just tried it on again over the holidays and I thought that, while big, maybe it’s okay? What do you think?

When looking around I also got to see the FOIS, which I also really liked, and it’s even smaller at 39mm. But I keep looking at the two photos and I can’t see a difference. Is the ~3mm size difference only from the missing crown guards? Or is there more to it and I just don’t see it? Do you think this fits me better than the professional, or is it the same fit?

Unrelated question: is there an OEM (or otherwise) rubber strap with a deployment clasp that I could get for the Speedmaster? I don’t like leather, and my current watch is on a steel bracelet already so it’d be nice to have something different. Maybe nato could be another option but I’m not a fan of regular buckles, which is why I’m asking about a deployment clasp specifically…

Thank you!!

mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 10:12 PM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

The speedy pro looks too big on your wrist on bracelet. The FOIS will wear smaller... I’d also suggest looking at a pre-owned speedy reduced model which is smaller. Not aware of rubber w deployant for speedy but there is a cordura fabric w deployant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 12:28 AM   #3
thewheel82
"TRF" Member

From the photos and where you have positioned on your wrist it does wear a bit large. Try wearing the watch positioned above your wrist bone. It will be more comfortable and should help with the sizing.

I too have less than large wrists at 6.5"-6.75", more flat than round. I wear a triple date Speedmaster which is similar to the one in the below link which provides dimensions. It wears perfect on my wrist.

https://www.bernardwatch.com/Omega/S...r-Date/OMG3209
thewheel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 12:49 AM   #4
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
No one to judge but you.
I have a 6.5” wrist and wear 40, 42, 43 and 44mm watches only.
I love the way they feel and look.
What others think is useless to me.
Old 12 January 2019, 12:55 AM   #5
Bushido
"TRF" Member

The dial size on the Speedy pro and FOIS are the exact same. The difference in case diameter is solely due to the crown guards on the Pro. On the wrist, the Pro will have a slightly bigger look but they wear very similar.

I'm certain you can get leather, fabric, and NATO straps which will go nicely with the FOIS. I can't recall any rubber options. However, Omega has more recently released smaller sized divers which come with rubber straps so maybe there's a compatible option? I would call your OB/AD and ask.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:17 AM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Hi!

I currently only have one watch, and will probably only buy another one to have as more of a beater or to have something to wear when I have to send it for service etc. I’ve been looking and I haven’t found many that I really like, but the Speedmaster is just amazing. The thing is that I have very tiny wrists, around 6.25”.

At first when I tried it months ago I thought it was way too big. But now I just tried it on again over the holidays and I thought that, while big, maybe it’s okay? What do you think?

When looking around I also got to see the FOIS, which I also really liked, and it’s even smaller at 39mm. But I keep looking at the two photos and I can’t see a difference. Is the ~3mm size difference only from the missing crown guards? Or is there more to it and I just don’t see it? Do you think this fits me better than the professional, or is it the same fit?

Unrelated question: is there an OEM (or otherwise) rubber strap with a deployment clasp that I could get for the Speedmaster? I don’t like leather, and my current watch is on a steel bracelet already so it’d be nice to have something different. Maybe nato could be another option but I’m not a fan of regular buckles, which is why I’m asking about a deployment clasp specifically…

Thank you!!

My wrists are like 6.5 inches and I wear the classic speedy pro, however I have rather flat wrists and am a hair over 6 feet and so can pull it off. The other thing to consider is that there are older models from the late 60's that run like 39mm. I'm no expert, but other may be able to help you find the reference. I considered this, but was told that I should not really use the chrono all that often and that was a no go for me as I need that function for my job.

The FIOS does give the appearance of being smaller. They do have many strap options, I especially like the Snoopy strap which is like a nylon material. Your best bet is to go to the local AD and talk with them about strap options. Good luck.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #7
gooter
"TRF" Member

If it were me, I would look for something smaller; I think both are too large.

With that said, no one other than you really cares what a watch looks like on your wrist- and your opinion is the only one that matters. Wear whatever you want if it makes you happy!
gooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 07:54 AM   #8
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
No one to judge but you.
+1

I am the opposite with a 7.5" wrist but wear some watches that are 38-39mm. Try them all on and get the one you want, the 42mm Speedy looks big in the photos but IMO not too big
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 11:06 AM   #9
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I have the FOIS, better for small wrist
Old 12 January 2019, 02:21 PM   #10
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
No one to judge but you.

Yeah I agree that what matters is how the owner feels but I do like to hear what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
My wrists are like 6.5 inches and I wear the classic speedy pro, however I have rather flat wrists and am a hair over 6 feet and so can pull it off. The other thing to consider is that there are older models from the late 60's that run like 39mm. I'm no expert, but other may be able to help you find the reference. I considered this, but was told that I should not really use the chrono all that often and that was a no go for me as I need that function for my job.

The FIOS does give the appearance of being smaller. They do have many strap options, I especially like the Snoopy strap which is like a nylon material. Your best bet is to go to the local AD and talk with them about strap options. Good luck.

Yeah the snoopy strap could be another nice option! Will stop by the local AD to see what they say…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
The dial size on the Speedy pro and FOIS are the exact same. The difference in case diameter is solely due to the crown guards on the Pro. On the wrist, the Pro will have a slightly bigger look but they wear very similar.

I'm certain you can get leather, fabric, and NATO straps which will go nicely with the FOIS. I can't recall any rubber options. However, Omega has more recently released smaller sized divers which come with rubber straps so maybe there's a compatible option? I would call your OB/AD and ask.

That’s what I thought, I felt they looked pretty much identical in size, thanks for the confirmation! Thanks, will check with my AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
The speedy pro looks too big on your wrist on bracelet. The FOIS will wear smaller... I’d also suggest looking at a pre-owned speedy reduced model which is smaller. Not aware of rubber w deployant for speedy but there is a cordura fabric w deployant

Yeah I do think it looks bigger on the bracelet, specially since it’s not sized to fit so it’s even more pronounced. Will look for that cordura strap, could be a nice option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooter View Post
If it were me, I would look for something smaller; I think both are too large.

With that said, no one other than you really cares what a watch looks like on your wrist- and your opinion is the only one that matters. Wear whatever you want if it makes you happy!

Yeah I’m still unsure, but I really like it and haven’t been able to find another watch that I like as much as this one so maybe I’ll get used to it being a little big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I have the FOIS, better for small wrist

It’s funny how just the crown guards do make a difference in fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewheel82 View Post
From the photos and where you have positioned on your wrist it does wear a bit large. Try wearing the watch positioned above your wrist bone. It will be more comfortable and should help with the sizing.

I too have less than large wrists at 6.5"-6.75", more flat than round. I wear a triple date Speedmaster which is similar to the one in the below link which provides dimensions. It wears perfect on my wrist.

https://www.bernardwatch.com/Omega/S...r-Date/OMG3209

Maybe it’s odd to wear the watch like this but it’s how I’ve always used it so that’s why I put it there for the photo… it does make the size difference a bit more pronounced tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
+1

I am the opposite with a 7.5" wrist but wear some watches that are 38-39mm. Try them all on and get the one you want, the 42mm Speedy looks big in the photos but IMO not too big

Good to know someone else thinks similar to me, big but not too big. Will have to go to the AD to get more wrist time and see how I really feel about the size!
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:47 PM   #11
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I think the Speedmaster Pro works on your wrist. It's a fantastic watch to own, and I strongly recommend it. You might enjoy a nice strap for it, too.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote