The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2019, 08:32 PM   #61
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Cathay Pacific’s The Pier First Class Lounge in Hong Kong

(https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....-kong-airport/)
+1

HKG: The Pier. It's out of the way compared to most of the other lounges (gate 63), but unless seriously pressed for time, I always go there. 2nd favorite is The Wing. I haven't checked The Bridge 1st class, but I was underwhelmed by Business, so I skip it completely.

SIN: Singapore Airlines First or Business are nice, although I've seen the Business lounge get pretty packed.

LAX Int'l, both Quantas 1st & Business are nice

LAX Domestic: T4 AA Flagship

I've had hit or miss luck with the Centurion lounges. Last month I was going through MIA & it was literally standing room only. They should have put a sign either at the desk or at the bottom of the elevator; no point in walking each corridor trying to find a seat.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:28 AM   #62
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the last two Amex lounges i visited were so overcrowded i just left. Dallas is awful. IMO it defeats the purpose so they need to do something to control capacity even if it means you have to pay to enter in addition to having the correct card. Its gotten ridiculous. A couple of years ago it was great as i remember using the seattle lounge frequently when it was new and there was always plenty of seating
Agreed. PHL is platinum and black card only, but was still pretty busy.
Friday midday in MIA and Friday afternoon in PHL probably wasn't helping either
Old 16 January 2019, 12:37 AM   #63
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Agreed. PHL is platinum and black card only, but was still pretty busy.
Friday midday in MIA and Friday afternoon in PHL probably wasn't helping either
i thought they still let in levels below platinum but you have to pay. No idea. I do know they changed the guest policy but it hasn't helped.

I dont have a black card, but i cant imagine there are many of those in that lounge. Like 1 maybe. The first thing i would do with a black card is refuse to fly commercial ever again

i think calling it the centurion lounge makes it aspirational for platinum card holders, not actually a lounge for centurion card holders
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:03 AM   #64
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Favorite Airport Lounge?

Quote:
i thought they still let in levels below platinum but you have to pay. No idea. I do know they changed the guest policy but it hasn't helped.

I dont have a black card, but i cant imagine there are many of those in that lounge. Like 1 maybe. The first thing i would do with a black card is refuse to fly commercial ever again

i think calling it the centurion lounge makes it aspirational for platinum card holders, not actually a lounge for centurion card holders

Some lounges only let in plat/black cards (PHL), others let any amex holder pay $50 to get entry. Agreed, doubt there's many black card holders.

Funny enough, as we were getting situated (w/ our 1 year old) a guy was walking past us in the aisle on his way to coach had his phone open to the iPay screen showing a black amex business card Forget private some fly coach

We flew to FL private (not my dime) and it is just so hard to beat... Especially when you have one of these that wants to run around constantly!
Old 16 January 2019, 02:01 AM   #65
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i flew american flagship first recently out of their main hub in Dallas and they didn't even have a lounge in the terminal. Probably the last time ill fly AA in international first class. Went to the AMEX lounge and had to leave as there were no seats there either.

Its being renovated or something, but no contingency plan at all from what i saw.

In general european lounges are so much better than ones in the states. Because "premium status" is so devalued on US carriers and they all get access to overcrowded sub par lounges/upgrades etc .You can also get lounge status with a CC (like AA admirals club membership with a citi card). On my connecting flight there were 125 passengers and the announcement at the gate said there were 87 elite passengers on the flight. When the majority have status, its no status at all. Totally ridiculous.
Agreed. That's actually the problem with some lounges in Asia too - they're good, but insanely overcrowded because of passengers with status. I've been to the Cathay Pacific First lounge in Hong Kong and was unable to find a seat, which was pretty upsetting as I was an actual first passenger to JFK.

The best ones are definitely the lounges that are exclusive for passengers only flying in First. For instance, the Private Room for Singapore Airlines is only for passengers flying in First, and the Lufthansa First Class Lounges are only for passengers flying in First or belong to an ultra-elite circle where you fly 600K miles in J/F every two years.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:17 AM   #66
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Agreed. That's actually the problem with some lounges in Asia too - they're good, but insanely overcrowded because of passengers with status. I've been to the Cathay Pacific First lounge in Hong Kong and was unable to find a seat, which was pretty upsetting as I was an actual first passenger to JFK.

The best ones are definitely the lounges that are exclusive for passengers only flying in First. For instance, the Private Room for Singapore Airlines is only for passengers flying in First, and the Lufthansa First Class Lounges are only for passengers flying in First or belong to an ultra-elite circle where you fly 600K miles in J/F every two years.
thats why i like the concorde room. You have to have a international first class ticket to get in... or have a concord room card which is next to impossible to obtain as its a status level so far above the normal top tier its rare anyone not ticketed would even be in there.

Status is nice and I've had top tier status before as well. I absolutely dont think me with status and flying economy should be entitled to a full lounge though when ticketed first passengers dont even have room
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:28 AM   #67
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
The JAL Sakura Lounge at Narita, JPN is large and always a welcome stop before I jump on a 13 hour flight home.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote