The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2019, 09:30 AM   #61
Wiener48
Banned

This is exactly how it is and works, so it is, pointed!

Sorry, but face it, if someone buys juwels for hundrets, or watches for 100-200 do you really think these guys are behind you on a list???

No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Put yourself in the AD shoes, customer A puts his name on a list back in 2017. Customer A is planning to buy a Tudor today. Customer B calls a year later and says he wants the same watch. Customer B has purchased over $300K over the years.
If you were the owner of said AD what would you do?
There’s also Customer C who will bundle a bunch of lady DJ and Cellini if you include a BLRO and Daytona C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 10:15 AM   #62
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiener48 View Post
This is exactly how it is and works, so it is, pointed!

Sorry, but face it, if someone buys juwels for hundrets, or watches for 100-200 do you really think these guys are behind you on a list???

No...
Yeah, someone replied that any dealer with integrity should make it happen. I'm not saying it's fair, but that's the way business works in most cases. Your best chance would be to find a small AD that doesn't have whales for customers.

It's the Golden Rule. And I'm not talking about the ethical golden rule, I'm referring to the business version.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 05:40 PM   #63
Wiener48
Banned

Nice idea, but small ones get no watches, or much less then others...
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 05:41 PM   #64
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Your best chance would be to find a small AD that doesn't have whales for customers.

Not sure there’s too many of those around these days

Sent from my iPhone
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 07:49 PM   #65
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
Is this fair ? I thought when you put your name on a waiting list with a Rolex AD it meant you would be dealt with in turn. I went into my Rolex AD in Guildford, Surrey, UK. The AD is called Prestons. So almost 2 years ago I put my details on the list ready for a Daytona with a Black or White Face.

Today I called into the AD to ask where I am now on the waiting list ? The answer was this. "The Manager will decide on the list who she contacts. It is in No order of how long you have been on the list, she will decide".

If they expect Loyality, then they should also give it back. I was also going to buy a Tudor from them, not now.....
At least someone finally told the truth.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 07:52 PM   #66
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
If they expect Loyality, then they should also give it back. I was also going to buy a Tudor from them, not now.....
just playing devils advocate but loyalty means past history, not buying a Tudor later. You cant shortcut loyalty with an IOU for something later.

Unless you are going to leverage a DD purchase or something at the same time there is just too much competition from far bigger spenders to get the watch. Its a business and its only natural for an AD manager to allocate based on who is most important to the business's bottom line.

It sucks, but its fair and its how most people here would run their own business. Big customers get preference because big customers can make a much bigger dent in your success if they take their six figure annual spend elsewhere if you cant get them what they want.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:41 PM   #67
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I put my name down in May last year for an Explorer at an AD in Chester (there is only one so not hard to figure out!)- even got an email confirming this. After getting impatient I enquired at an AD in Liverpool (not Goldsmiths) in August and had one within the week, I have since bought a black GMT and a diamond dial date just for the wifes Xmas prezzy from the same AD and will buy future watches from them.

I walked past the Chester AD this past weekend (13/01/19) and there is an Explorer in the window! - it goes to prove 'waiting lists' are a myth as far as I am concerned.

Find a good AD and vote with your wallet I say.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:48 PM   #68
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I forgot to mention in my post above - I think a lot of people will remember how ADs are acting now they hold all the power re supply and should the Market switch back to grey dealers selling new watches under retail (everything goes in cycles I believe) will look forward to sticking it to them!
Old 15 January 2019, 09:02 PM   #69
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMilgauss View Post
I forgot to mention in my post above - I think a lot of people will remember how ADs are acting now they hold all the power re supply and should the Market switch back to grey dealers selling new watches under retail (everything goes in cycles I believe) will look forward to sticking it to them!
AD's also remember how fickle customers are and know a lot will go back to secondary dealer discount shopping when the market returns to normal. IMO there is a clear divide between AD customers before the shortage and AD customers who are there because of the shortage and dont want to pay premiums. The latter customers will disappear in time and the AD isnt stupid and isnt bending over backwards for them either.

If you want an AD relationship then stick with them. You may overpay at one end of the cycle but you will way underpay in an environment like today and dont have to pay secondary market prices.

Too many people want a watch at an AD at retail now. Next year they want a watch from a secondary dealer at the biggest discount possible. Cant have your cake and eat it too

they are sticking it to customers who wouldn't be customers anyway otherwise, and those non-customers are looking forward to "sticking it to the AD" later. It doesnt make sense because many wouldn't even be there anyway under normal circumstances. Plus its just a watch and the pricing probably evens out in the end whichever purchase channel you choose. But you kind of have to choose and cant mix and match.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 January 2019, 09:15 PM   #70
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
AD's also remember how fickle customers are and know a lot will go back to secondary dealer discount shopping when the market returns to normal. IMO there is a clear divide between AD customers before the shortage and AD customers who are there because of the shortage and dont want to pay premiums. The latter customers will disappear in time and the AD isnt stupid and isnt bending over backwards for them either.

If you want an AD relationship then stick with them. You may overpay at one end of the cycle but you will way underpay in an environment like today and dont have to pay secondary market prices.

Too many people want a watch at an AD at retail now. Next year they want a watch from a secondary dealer at the biggest discount possible. Cant have your cake and eat it too

they are sticking it to customers who wouldn't be customers anyway otherwise, and those non-customers are looking forward to "sticking it to the AD" later. It doesnt make sense because many wouldn't even be there anyway under normal circumstances. Plus its just a watch and the pricing probably evens out in the end whichever purchase channel you choose. But you kind of have to choose and cant mix and match.
Fair points
Old 15 January 2019, 09:18 PM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair points
i have no issue with secondary market customers at all. It makes sense a lot of times both financially and timing wise depending on what your collection is going to be.

As an AD customer though, it would absolutely make me furious if someone normally a secondary market customer got a watch from my AD before me even if they got on the list first. Because otherwise, why in the world have i been buying from one AD all this time
Old 15 January 2019, 10:03 PM   #72
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i have no issue with secondary market customers at all. It makes sense a lot of times both financially and timing wise depending on what your collection is going to be.

As an AD customer though, it would absolutely make me furious if someone normally a secondary market customer got a watch from my AD before me even if they got on the list first. Because otherwise, why in the world have i been buying from one AD all this time
Completely agree - I paid the premium on my first Rolex buying new from an AD when at the time it could be had for less 'as new' elsewhere (different market and not a 'hot' model) and why I was prepared to wait for the more desirable pieces I wanted further down the track. I will always support my AD - it was just hard finding one was my point I guess
Old 15 January 2019, 10:04 PM   #73
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:

they are sticking it to customers who wouldn't be customers anyway otherwise, and those customers are looking forward to "sticking it to the AD" later. It doesnt make sense because many wouldn't even be there anyway under normal circumstances. Plus its just a watch and the pricing probably evens out in the end whichever purchase channel you choose. But you kind of have to choose and cant mix and match.
I agree with Tyler, sticking with an AD and building a relationship carrys a lot of weight.

My AD confirmed to me last week that lists do in fact exist, however, there is more than 1 list. I had never asked to be on any list until last week, but thats a different story for another time, hopefully an incoming tale.

The lists, as he explained to me, are:

VIP client list ... the clients who continually spend big money at the jeweller and dont have to even ask to be on any list ... they occasionally get called and asked if they are interested in sought after pieces as a courtesy. Note: They are not always called first, but factors like having very recently made a big purchase means they can be given a call. Good sales staff worth their salt will know if they can move a watch on to a VIP with no issue to keep them sweet based on their conversations during the last sale. Its what good sales people do.

VIP client list, who have requested to be on a list ... As above and speaks for itself. These clients tend to be on numerous watch lists though, and depending on whether they have purchased a sought after piece recently usually means they move down the next list in some form of fairness to others. There is an element of flipper in this list though, and the AD's are cautious whether they are dealing with a known collector or simply a VIP that wants to turn over a few grand profit for shts and giggles and petty bragging rights. (His words not mine).

Repeat client list ... Clients who are repeat customers and have requested to be on a list for a specific watch but have a spend history that doesnt give them the VIP status. This list usually pays off at some point, with some patience, as these buyers tend to also be collectors and not simply filling safes with watches that never see daylight.

Everybody else list ... Potential clients who are hedging their bets at numerous AD's and hoping lady luck smiles on them that all of the above dont want the watch they have asked to be on the specific list for. Usually a customer that was never seen before and are usually never seen again even if they have had luck enough to buy the watch they have asked for.

Its business at the end of the day,

The VIP's have the cash and dont hesitate to say yes or no if they are interested, immediate revenue for the jeweller on the day the watch arrives, and, a good possibility than an additional sale could take place at the time the watch is being collected. (Wife saw some diamond earings she likes while sipping champagne during the buyers watch sizing taking place). It happens.

The repeat clients sometimes pass on the opportunity due to other factors of life at the time of the offer, so the next on the list is called, and so on, and it is by sheer luck after those calls have been made that a new or potential client has been getting a call these days.

There are other factors that get taken in to account, but essentially this is how it has been working lately ... for the jeweller .. I say jeweller here as its more than just watches that they sell, and refering to them as simply an AD, tends to give the impression that watches are the only thing keeping the doors open. I understand that we tend to only be interested in the watches here on the forum, but the whole "relationship" thing comes from the complete package a jeweller offers in my experiance.
Old 16 January 2019, 12:18 AM   #74
bombafra1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
The lists, as he explained to me, are:

VIP client list ...
VIP client list, who have requested to be on a list ...
Repeat client list ...
Everybody else list
My question is:
how to enter such lists? let's assume I have the money but, till no AD decides to call me back I will be part of "Everybody Else list" with almost no chance to get what I dream of
bombafra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 03:50 AM   #75
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I enquired at an AD in Liverpool (not Goldsmiths) in August and had one within the week, I have since bought a black GMT and a diamond dial date just for the wifes Xmas prezzy from the same AD and will buy future watches from them.

David M Robinson

They’ve been good to me too

Goldsmiths won’t get another penny from me!!

Sent from my iPhone
Old 16 January 2019, 04:08 AM   #76
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
If youre paying their bills they will be putting you right at the top. If you are just after 1 watch and only to return in 3 years to buy another sought after model, don't expect your name to be anywhere near the top.

You can ask yourself why a shop would sell you a DaytonaC to you, when they can bundle it with a Platinum Daytona/DayDate or 3 Datejusts? They only get a small amount of DaytonaC's in and that shall stretch their bottomline. How else would they survive if they only sell sports models to people who "patiently" wait? It's a fair game, so if your pockets are deep enough you build up that relationship with them. Otherwise your alternative is grey market.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 04:25 AM   #77
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

There was another thread where a guy in UK got a Sub, SS Daytona, another PM all in three months. He mentioned his AD name, do a search and give that AD a call. Good luck!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 04:51 AM   #78
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Lists are really are really a polite way to say we may be in touch. Of course stores will sell hard to get pieces to their best customers when ever they can. New customers may walk into the store and buy PMs for both and be offered a hard to get SS which just came in just as an afterthought and courtesy for their business.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:43 AM   #79
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
I had a call from the manager at Goldsmiths in Canary Wharf regarding the Tudor GMT
A month or so before Xmas,,
, L rang and asked was I still interested as he working his way down the
List for the next allocation ,,,
So for normal people there is a list I believe but that don’t include vips ,,big spenders and long term clients/ wis types,,,
Just the way it is and I accept that but I also believe that right place at the right time with the right attitude can pay dividends,,
I passed but thanked him and he said “ talk after Basel 2019 “ , lol,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:50 AM   #80
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
I had a call from the manager at Goldsmiths in Canary Wharf regarding the Tudor GMT
A month or so before Xmas,,
, L rang and asked was I still interested as he working his way down the
List for the next allocation ,,,so for normal people there is a list I believe but that don’t include vips ,,big spenders and long term clients/ wis types,,,
Just the way it is and I accept that but I also believe that right place at the right time with the right attitude can pay dividends,,
I passed but thanked him and he said “ talk after Basel 2019 “ , lol,,,
My AD is Aurum too.

I was told when they get an allocation piece they get supplied a list from head office which has presumably been vetted - they have access to all WOS, M&W and Goldsmiths lists as well as the purchase history of every customer in all their stores. The list is 10 long and they go down the list. I happened to inquire about an allocation piece whilst picking another watch up and was offered it if the AD rang everybody on the list and they turned it down. I got that watch the next day so the AD has some latitude (for a variety of reasons I suspect the AD didn’t ring everybody on the list, as it happens).

I was also told that ultra-high demand pieces (his example was the BLRO) get allocated by head office before they ever hit the store. The AD manager then get told Mr High Roller is coming in tomorrow to pick up a BLRO, please do the needful”.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:05 PM   #81
DP63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombafra1 View Post
My question is:
how to enter such lists? let's assume I have the money but, till no AD decides to call me back I will be part of "Everybody Else list" with almost no chance to get what I dream of
Thats frustrating, without a doubt. You (and many like you) may indeed have the money, but the problem is that the AD doesnt know that for sure, he can only assume you do, and based on my AD telling me they have had more than their fair share of people declining offer's when called (which inspires some confidence that they do actually get around to making calls from lists ... and ultimately why I decided to finally put my name on the list), it makes the whole waiting game the frustrating scenario we are in at present as enthusiasts.

At this point in time, with demand outstripping supply, unless you are a big spender, the relationship you have to work at building with an AD is the key to being foremost in a sales assistants, or the owner/manager's mind in my opinion. That can be done based on how you present yourself to them as a minimum and on having at least some history of purchases at the other end of the non-vip scale. I think going in as a complete stranger to an AD and asking to go on to a list and then sitting back and expecting a call that will produce the watch you desire (without at least an occasional visit to remind them you are serious) is insane. This may have worked when there was less demand, but its not the case at present.

I look at it from the AD's point of view, and based on my personal experiance, I'm no VIP by any stretch of the imagination compared to some of the clients at my local AD, but I have a good history that is regarded as a regular purchasing customer (not just watches), and I know I am in a better position than a complete stranger to the store as far as being concidered for the BLNR I am currently on the list for.

Here's a scenario:

BLNR comes in this week as part of the AD's order.

Am I (or other clients with a relationship who are fresh in their memory as seeking the BLNR) going to be called first, or that guy they vagely remember from 5 or 6 months ago that they have'nt seen since? ..... Thats before the list is even pulled from the drawer or off of the computer.

I'm not saying that a buyer with no relationship or history would never get the chance, without a doubt, there are tales of "right place at the right time" purchases, and so there should be, I'm just looking at it from a salesmans perspective of keeping his clientbase happy and keeping repeat business coming in the door. In a nutshell, I personally think that the lists are not concrete in respect of next on the list, or 1st refusal, 2nd, 3rd etc, and are in fact far more likely to be fluid, regardless of where your name is on whichever list.

Old 16 January 2019, 08:42 PM   #82
HappyFish
Banned

Quote:
Here's a scenario:

BLNR comes in this week as part of the AD's order.

Am I (or other clients with a relationship who are fresh in their memory as seeking the BLNR) going to be called first, or that guy they vagely remember from 5 or 6 months ago that they have'nt seen since? ..... Thats before the list is even pulled from the drawer or off of the computer.

The best way not to get the watch from your AD is to call and visit him daily for a free Nespresso!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:45 PM   #83
DP63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
The best way not to get the watch from your AD is to call and visit him daily for a free Nespresso!
Old 16 January 2019, 08:49 PM   #84
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Best way is to work your way down.
Start with a Platinum DD/Daytona, then DD RG, then YM2 YG, then a Skydweller on leather strap... Once you've cleared all their crappy models you tell them to give you some good SS pieces. Only way you can get on their radar is by scooping up their hard-to-sell pieces and demand to get their highly desirable ones.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:59 PM   #85
bombafra1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

At this point in time, with demand outstripping supply, unless you are a big spender, the relationship you have to work at building with an AD is the key to being foremost in a sales assistants, or the owner/manager's mind in my opinion. That can be done based on how you present yourself to them as a minimum and on having at least some history of purchases at the other end of the non-vip scale.
Let me share my experience. I'm in the list for BLNR in my home town AD since early 2018 (almost one year ago). He told me the story about VIP having fast track, no outlook if I would ever receive a call and bla, bla, bla...
Then I visited for the very first timean AD in Middle East (not fancy place as Dubai is). I asked for BLNR and they replied me: "Give me name and phone call and in 3 months timeframe maximum your watch will be available. Just do not ask for discount: on professional SS discount is 0".
Trust me or not, I came back about 3 months later (no call received) asking about the status of my order, they checked and told me: "Come tomorrow and you'll get your watch". Of course I bought it. Leaving the shop I put my name in the list for a white Daytona
Maybe it also depends on how we, as buyers, educate our dealers.
bombafra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:42 PM   #86
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
David M Robinson

They’ve been good to me too

Goldsmiths won’t get another penny from me!!

Sent from my iPhone
Bingo! - absolutely, great service.
Old 16 January 2019, 09:56 PM   #87
MrPear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Best way is to work your way down.
Start with a Platinum DD/Daytona, then DD RG, then YM2 YG, then a Skydweller on leather strap... Once you've cleared all their crappy models you tell them to give you some good SS pieces. Only way you can get on their radar is by scooping up their hard-to-sell pieces and demand to get their highly desirable ones.
This is bang on the money.

Drop £28k on an olive dial rose DD and just see how quickly you can get that BLNR.
MrPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:05 PM   #88
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPear View Post
This is bang on the money.

Drop £28k on an olive dial rose DD and just see how quickly you can get that BLNR.

Not really a ‘real world’ solution though...

Sent from my iPhone
Old 16 January 2019, 11:28 PM   #89
MrPear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Not really a ‘real world’ solution though...

Sent from my iPhone
This is steel model Rolex in 2019, we are far from real world!
MrPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:46 PM   #90
DP63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPear View Post
This is steel model Rolex in 2019, we are far from real world!
True, its a sureal world for steel sports Rolex at the moment ... but its a fantasy that someone would drop £28k on a watch they dont want just to get the £7k watch they do want? In the real world, you'd just go to the gray dealer and pick it up today for a £3k premium and leave the other £25k in the bank. These watches may not be available immediately at MSRP, but they are not impossible to find, if your desire is immediate and your finances allow it there is no waiting period or list to stress about.