The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 November 2018, 04:02 AM   #1
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Rolex warranty card no good?

I just read an article that said if you buy a Rolex on gray marker the 5 year warranties are no longer good as of 2016. So basically only the original owner can use the 5 year warranty and it is tracked by Rolex ? Is this correct or am I reading it wrong
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 04:08 AM   #2
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
Warranties prior to July 30 2015 that were bumped to 3 year warranties have now expired, however July 1, 2015 should have what remains of their 5 year warranties that follow the watch assuming it was swiped and filled out accordingly per Rolex at original time of purchase.
mulgogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 04:10 AM   #3
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Yes but I read that only the original owner can use the 5 year warranty. Rolex will not honor a watch warranty if your name is not on the orginal card ?
Old 29 November 2018, 04:12 AM   #4
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

I am reading that you can transfer a warranty if you are the original owner only to a new buyer ? But with that being said do you have to physically make this request to Rolex or do you just have to possess the Rolex warranty card ?
Old 29 November 2018, 04:17 AM   #5
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Yes but I read that only the original owner can use the 5 year warranty. Rolex will not honor a watch warranty if your name is not on the orginal card ?
False. As long as the warranty was properly activated by an AD at the time of original sale, the warranty will travel with the watch for the full five years, irrespective of whose name is on the card. The pitfall here is if the watch was purchased "new" from a gray, and the warranty was not properly activated. Some are, some aren't.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 04:20 AM   #6
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I am reading that you can transfer a warranty if you are the original owner only to a new buyer ? But with that being said do you have to physically make this request to Rolex or do you just have to possess the Rolex warranty card ?
There is no recorded title transfer involved with aftermarket watch sales, and Rolex keeps no record of such sales.
Old 29 November 2018, 04:23 AM   #7
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
As long as the AD swipes it when they sell it, you should be good. Warranty follows the watch.

For Rolex, an undated card is a red flag bc they are swiped and dated at purchase, different for other brands where they don't swipe, I.E. Omega.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 04:24 AM   #8
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
False. As long as the warranty was properly activated by an AD at the time of original sale, the warranty will travel with the watch for the full five years, irrespective of whose name is on the card. The pitfall here is if the watch was purchased "new" from a gray, and the warranty was not properly activated. Some are, some aren't.

Exactly this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 04:24 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
This, yes, follows the watch, irregardless of name on the card.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 04:28 AM   #10
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Awesome’s thanks guys
Old 29 November 2018, 05:13 AM   #11
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
I just read an article that said if you buy a Rolex on gray marker the 5 year warranties are no longer good as of 2016. So basically only the original owner can use the 5 year warranty and it is tracked by Rolex ? Is this correct or am I reading it wrong
Nonsense, speaking from first hand experience

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 05:31 AM   #12
praveen
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 39 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
Nonsense, speaking from first hand experience

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Good to know.
praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 05:38 AM   #13
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

It can say Mickey Mouse on it; doesn't matter. Rolex just doesn't want the name area left blank. That's why they instruct the AD to write XXXXXXXX on it if the customer doesn't want to divulge their personal info.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 05:40 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This is the case currently, but if your AD has a warranty withheld policy for 1 year then during that year it may be that only the original buyer is covered, at least it should be but Rolex are as ever not sharp in implementing new policy effectively.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 09:23 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
The Grey Market is not the used market. Any watch properly purchased from an AD will have a 5 year warranty, regardless how many times it is sold.

A new Grey Market watch was imported, bypassing the distributor, so the AD never sold these to a retail consumer. Grey Market products seldom have a valid warranty, such as those from Costco, Jomashop, Alan Furman, etc. .
Old 29 November 2018, 10:02 AM   #16
Mikel212
"TRF" Member

"Rolex warranties are now totally untransferable. You are probably now wondering what are the impact of this announcement. Here’s the thing : when you buy a watch from an authorized dealer, you also get a little green card with your information and the Authorized Dealer’s stamp. This warranty card is just not transferable anymore since the Rolex warranty policy update."

Rolex website doesn't elaborate on their 5-yr warranty except that there is one.
Mikel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 10:08 AM   #17
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel212 View Post
"Rolex warranties are now totally untransferable. You are probably now wondering what are the impact of this announcement. Here’s the thing : when you buy a watch from an authorized dealer, you also get a little green card with your information and the Authorized Dealer’s stamp. This warranty card is just not transferable anymore since the Rolex warranty policy update."

Rolex website doesn't elaborate on their 5-yr warranty except that there is one.
I'd ask for a link to the source, but the statement is categorically wrong, so it doesn't matter. Rolex offers a full warranty. In the US, that term has a legal meaning, and part of the meaning is that the warranty is fully transferable to all owners for the duration of the warranty. For anyone who wants the legal nuts and bolts, I covered it in another thread:

Quote:
Here's the lowdown. (TLDR version: Rolex designates its warranty as "full," meaning it it is fully transferable to all consumers during the duration of the warranty, provided the watch was originally purchased by a consumer from an authorized dealer.)

- Rolex designates its warranty as "full."

- 15 U.S.C. § 2303(a)(1) states that full warranties must meet the minimum requirements for warranties, as stated in § 2304.

- 15 U.S.C. § 2304(a) states the minimum requirements for full warranties.

- 15 U.S.C. § 2304(b)(4) states, "The duties under subsection (a) extend from the warrantor to each person who is a consumer with respect to the consumer product."

- 15 U.S.C. § 2301(3) includes in its definition of consumer "any person to whom such product is transferred during the duration of an implied or written warranty (or service contract) applicable to the product." The definition expressly excludes buyers who procure goods for resale; ergo, grey sellers would not be considered consumers, and therefore can be excluded under a full warranty.

- Exclusion of transferability to certain consumers would render the warranty limited, rather than full, pursuant to U.S.C. § 2303(a)(2); the warranty would also have to be designated as "limited." Since the warranty is conspicuously stated as full, it must adhere to the transferability requirements of 15 U.S.C. § 2304(b)(4), which apply to all consumers as defined in 15 U.S. Code § 2301(3).
Old 29 November 2018, 10:53 AM   #18
2-reef
"TRF" Member

I bought a DSSD from a local watch store I’ve used for over 10 years. It had the name of the original owner and I had to send it in for warranty repairs. No issue except Rolex said they had to keep the watch for 10 days to ensure it wasn’t stolen, then charged me a small, amount to validate authenticity... then they repaired it under warranty.

They only want the warranty card to prove it’s under the 5 years they couldn’t care less who’s name is on the card.
2-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 11:14 AM   #19
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-reef View Post
I bought a DSSD from a local watch store I’ve used for over 10 years. It had the name of the original owner and I had to send it in for warranty repairs. No issue except Rolex said they had to keep the watch for 10 days to ensure it wasn’t stolen, then charged me a small, amount to validate authenticity... then they repaired it under warranty.

They only want the warranty card to prove it’s under the 5 years they couldn’t care less who’s name is on the card.
I have never heard of such a thing as holding it for 10 days. Do you have that in writing? How would they know if it's stolen? Do you think Rolex keeps a stolen Rolex serial number database? That would be useful, but how would that work? I call Rolex if my watch is stolen so I can update the database? How would I prove I ever owned the watch? What if I sold it and just wanted to get the guy in trouble? Police report? Of the thousands of police agencies, I would send their report to Rolex?

If I'm wrong here, that would be great, but I would like to see something in writing on this whole "stolen Rolex" 10 day thing or if there is even any such thing as passing a stolen watch filter at all.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 11:40 AM   #20
withnail_jet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
It can say Mickey Mouse on it; doesn't matter. Rolex just doesn't want the name area left blank. That's why they instruct the AD to write XXXXXXXX on it if the customer doesn't want to divulge their personal info.
Awesome, I never knew this. I have one I bought from a grey with this on it and was always wondering what would happen should I need warranty service...thanks!
withnail_jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 01:57 PM   #21
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:

This is all you need to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 03:01 PM   #22
ROLMARINER
Banned

Watch: 500C, BLRO
Quote:
As long as the warranty was properly activated by an AD at the time of original sale, the warranty will travel with the watch for the full five years, irrespective of whose name is on the card. The pitfall here is if the watch was purchased "new" from a gray, and the warranty was not properly activated. Some are, some aren't.
Having recently purchased a 500C, BLRO, and DJ41 from grey dealers I have the three warranty cards, there are person's names on them, and there are imprinted AD's names on them.

How does one go about finding out if the warranty cards were swiped? Would any local AD be able to swipe my cards for me to confirm they are valid? Is it poor etiquette for me to contact the original AD for each to confirm the swipe occurred?
ROLMARINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 12:11 PM   #23
2-reef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I have never heard of such a thing as holding it for 10 days. Do you have that in writing? How would they know if it's stolen? Do you think Rolex keeps a stolen Rolex serial number database? That would be useful, but how would that work? I call Rolex if my watch is stolen so I can update the database? How would I prove I ever owned the watch? What if I sold it and just wanted to get the guy in trouble? Police report? Of the thousands of police agencies, I would send their report to Rolex?

If I'm wrong here, that would be great, but I would like to see something in writing on this whole "stolen Rolex" 10 day thing or if there is even any such thing as passing a stolen watch filter at all.
I only know what Rolex Toronto told me. At first they said come in and wait, if the watch is slow it is a simple regulation, and I can take it home with me.

When they saw my name was not on the card, the receptionist said this changes how they repair. She said they had to keep it for 10 days to validate it was not stolen. They would not touch my watch for 10 days then do the regulation.

I didn’t ask how they would do this, and I really didn’t care as I knew the watch was fine. Sure enough 10 days later they said the watch was with the technician and when tested I could have it back.

They did write on my invoice, the watch was verified as authentic, and the charge for authentication, they did not even list the regulation under warranty.
2-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 12:47 PM   #24
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLMARINER View Post
How does one go about finding out if the warranty cards were swiped? Would any local AD be able to swipe my cards for me to confirm they are valid? Is it poor etiquette for me to contact the original AD for each to confirm the swipe occurred?
Those are all good questions, to which I don't know the answers. I would start with a local AD and see if they can confirm. My gut tells me it would be bad form to check with the original ADs, but if you have the cojones, it's worth a shot.
Old 4 December 2018, 01:01 PM   #25
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Those are all good questions, to which I don't know the answers. I would start with a local AD and see if they can confirm. My gut tells me it would be bad form to check with the original ADs, but if you have the cojones, it's worth a shot.
Thanks, my feeling is that it would be uncool to go to the original AD's as they may have associates unaware of their practices. But that said I'd be too nervous to ever hand them in for Rolex service without knowing that all is on the up and up. I have time before I have to worry too much about this but its something I need to address. Perhaps one of the trusted service techs on the forum could run a SN check.
Old 4 December 2018, 01:11 PM   #26
AirborneSFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
My two cents are when buying a used watch that is out of warranty to factor in service. That will gain you a two year warranty and peace of mind. After that point I feel the watch (in the case of a used one) is really mine.

Regarding a "hot" watch. I know regular RSC's will confiscate them but I am not sure if independent RSC's do the same. My thoughts are they would.

Forgot to address the original topic - I was told the warranty goes with the watch UNLESS purchased grey market.
AirborneSFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 01:15 PM   #27
psv
"TRF" Member

As long as the card is properly filled out and activated, the warranty transfers. If the card has been altered, e.g. the original purchaser’s name blacked out, that voids the warranty.

Also, Rolex bought internationally - you need to present a copy of the purchase receipt at the time of service, I’m speaking from experience.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 01:21 PM   #28
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
My two cents are when buying a used watch that is out of warranty to factor in service. That will gain you a two year warranty and peace of mind. After that point I feel the watch (in the case of a used one) is really mine.

Regarding a "hot" watch. I know regular RSC's will confiscate them but I am not sure if independent RSC's do the same. My thoughts are they would.

Forgot to address the original topic - I was told the warranty goes with the watch UNLESS purchased grey market.
The warranty goes with the watch even if in the grey market. The issue is that if the original AD didn't swipe the warranty card for some reason before it went to the grey dealer, what are the consequences for the new owner?

My understanding is that if it wasn't swiped a) Rolex wouldn't service it and b) might confiscate it pending a SN search to ensure it wasn't reported stolen. So while I'm still in the early months owning my grey watches I'm going to try to find a way to confirm that they're swiped properly before ever going near a Rolex SC.
Old 4 December 2018, 08:42 PM   #29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLMARINER View Post
If your warranty cards are named and dated then there's no reason why they haven't been swiped. An AD swipes the card to activate the warranty and take a watch out of inventory with Rolex. The AD would have no logical reason to sell a watch to a customer with a name and date on the card but not swipe it in the process. It's an almost religious practice by ADs to follow.

I wouldn't contact the ADs personally out of respect to those who flipped their Daytona and BLRO. But, there's nothing holding you back from doing so.

Are all of your cards from the US ADs or are any overseas? If US, there's about a 0% chance the cards weren't swiped since RUSA is pretty strict about that.

Rolex terms state that a warranty card must be named and dated to be valid. I haven't seen where they also state they must be swiped by the AD. So, I think you're safe regardless.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 11:03 PM   #30
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-reef View Post
I only know what Rolex Toronto told me. At first they said come in and wait, if the watch is slow it is a simple regulation, and I can take it home with me.

When they saw my name was not on the card, the receptionist said this changes how they repair. She said they had to keep it for 10 days to validate it was not stolen. They would not touch my watch for 10 days then do the regulation.

I didn’t ask how they would do this, and I really didn’t care as I knew the watch was fine. Sure enough 10 days later they said the watch was with the technician and when tested I could have it back.

They did write on my invoice, the watch was verified as authentic, and the charge for authentication, they did not even list the regulation under warranty.

I got my pre loved sub serviced on the spot when they replaced 4 slightly damaged screws in the bracelet. Gave them the watch and the card, they added my details to their database, listed the serial under my name, replaced the screws and gave me the paperwork as a receipt. Took up 30 minutes of my time and left with the card and the watch.

This was at an RSC in Sydney AU
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote