The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 19 December 2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Bought New Seiko 1978 Golden Tuna but make crucial mistake.

I stumbled upon on of these 1978 Golden Tuna reissues last week at a Seiko boutique.

Been interested in the vintage one for awhile, but didn't want to deal with the possible headaches associated with an 40yr example....servicing...etc.

So this really caught my eye...I did most of the QC checks...crown was smooth...date worked...no dust under crystal. Cool. I bought it.

Then couple of days later (wore it in the daylight) I noticed what I forgot to check and should have checked first given Seiko's track record.

The dreaded chapter ring is misaligned.

$%$$! Of course this all I see now when I look at the watch.

Being a limited edition piece, there are no more that can be swapped out, so off to Seiko service it goes.

The boutique agrees that it wasn't right and it's worth sending to service, but as accommodating as they are, word on the forums is that Seiko Service considers this to be acceptable and usually doesn't "fix" the issue....They usually just send a letter saying it's all good, don't bother us with that silly nonsense.

So, I'm afraid I'm in for some drama....why Seiko can't install the chapter rings in alignment I have no idea....

So, if you buy one of these and this "flaw" bothers you, check it out throughly because Seiko screws up the chapter rings even on their limited, higher end references...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20181218-124830-576x1024-144x256.png (69.5 KB, 813 views)
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 10:41 PM   #2
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Is this issue due to the printing of the marks on the ring or the physical alignment of the entire ring? If it's the latter, this would be a simple fix for an independent. I'd do it for you as well.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 12:56 AM   #3
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

i have heard that the issue can be either installation error or printing defect.

If Seiko doesn't resolve, I'll take you up on your offer! Thanks!
Old 20 December 2018, 10:37 AM   #4
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I stumbled upon on of these 1978 Golden Tuna reissues last week at a Seiko boutique.

Been interested in the vintage one for awhile, but didn't want to deal with the possible headaches associated with an 40yr example....servicing...etc.

So this really caught my eye...I did most of the QC checks...crown was smooth...date worked...no dust under crystal. Cool. I bought it.

Then couple of days later (wore it in the daylight) I noticed what I forgot to check and should have checked first given Seiko's track record.

The dreaded chapter ring is misaligned.

$%$$! Of course this all I see now when I look at the watch.

Being a limited edition piece, there are no more that can be swapped out, so off to Seiko service it goes.

The boutique agrees that it wasn't right and it's worth sending to service, but as accommodating as they are, word on the forums is that Seiko Service considers this to be acceptable and usually doesn't "fix" the issue....They usually just send a letter saying it's all good, don't bother us with that silly nonsense.

So, I'm afraid I'm in for some drama....why Seiko can't install the chapter rings in alignment I have no idea....

So, if you buy one of these and this "flaw" bothers you, check it out throughly because Seiko screws up the chapter rings even on their limited, higher end references...
Looks good to me
Old 20 December 2018, 01:56 PM   #5
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside7 View Post
Looks good to me
same here
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 01:57 PM   #6
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
Is this issue due to the printing of the marks on the ring or the physical alignment of the entire ring? If it's the latter, this would be a simple fix for an independent. I'd do it for you as well.
I think on some of the newer watches the chapter ring has feet on them so they can't move much. At least that is what I was told once before. I haven't personally looked at one myself.
Old 20 December 2018, 01:58 PM   #7
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Servicing a Gold Tuna is not hard at all and the parts are pretty easy to get. The only thing that sucks is if someone broken the crown release lever. Then it can be tough to work on.

Congrats on a cool watch.
Old 20 December 2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Dude. I’m ocd. Alignment is literally my job. That looks fine
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 02:50 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
It would be OK for a Turtle, but the rehaut does look like it's shifted clockwise slightly, which I wouldn't accept on a higher end LE piece like this.
Old 20 December 2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
It would be OK for a Turtle, but the rehaut does look like it's shifted clockwise slightly, which I wouldn't accept on a higher end LE piece like this.
Yeah, the pic I uploaded was too small to get the effect unless you are able to zoom in like on a smartphone.

The chapter ring is so off that the second hand won't hit the 12 o'clock marker at all. It's off a second left and right, so no direct hit on 12.

They might be able to get me another one rather than sending it back for.service. It just shouldn't be this way on a LE piece.

We shall see what happens.
Old 20 December 2018, 05:14 PM   #11
seikomatic
"TRF" Member

I would more concern if the second hand actually is dead on the minute markers for a quartz movement

Seiko's QC is rather poor for there are complaints about the misalignment of the hour and minute hands when you wind to 6:00..do remember to check this next time before you pay for it.

seikomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 03:32 AM   #12
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
there are complaints about the misalignment of the hour and minute hands when you wind to 6:00..do remember to check this next time before you pay for it.
This is common on a lot of brands. Definitely not just Seiko.
Old 1 January 2019, 06:37 PM   #13
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The saga continues.

Seiko was able to get me a replacement watch.

It was aligned worse than the first one and the indice at 6 o'clock had poorly applied paint....it never even made it into my hands, the store rejected it due to the defects.

So, my original watch goes to Seiko service to get the CR aligned.

The store has been very gracious in assisting me, so no issues there, but why these are coming out of Japan with issues, especially on a LE piece, is quite fascinating...
Old 1 January 2019, 09:44 PM   #14
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Dude. I’m ocd. Alignment is literally my job. That looks fine
Look at the 6 hour marker and the chapter ring alignment, that looks fine from someone with OCD with a job in alignment?

Or do you work at Seiko
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 10:12 PM   #15
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
It should be right. You paid a fair amount of money for this watch and I hope Seiko will make it right. Keep us posted.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 03:15 AM   #16
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
Look at the 6 hour marker and the chapter ring alignment, that looks fine from someone with OCD with a job in alignment?

Or do you work at Seiko
I have a feeling that will be Seiko Service position as well....

The store didn't disagree with me at all regarding the defect, so we shall see what happens next.
Old 10 January 2019, 01:24 PM   #17
vintage navitimer
"TRF" Member

Watch: hard to pick one
Best of luck to you with getting it resolved. I agree this shouldn't be with a LE piece . . . shouldn't be with any ProSpex piece. However, just as Seiko has their issues with chapter rings . . . I have seen many Rolex Submariners and Sea Dwellers that have bezels that don't line up. Go figure!
vintage navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 01:26 PM   #18
vintage navitimer
"TRF" Member

Watch: hard to pick one
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post

Or do you work at Seiko
Hahahahaha
vintage navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:28 PM   #19
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

So just a quick update...

The lesson here is NOT to impulse buy Seiko without thorough and complete examining of the QC. I suppose this could be said for any brand, but considering the confusion within Seiko service that this problem is causing, I feel compelled to single them out.

So, the Tuna is at Seiko COSERV in NJ and it appears to be stuck in some sort of watchmaking /service quicksand. Apparently since it is a LE reference there are multiple parties in the company involved and nobody is quite sure what to do...well this and some key manager that is supposed to handle this sort of thing is never really there to actually handle this sort of thing.

So the wait continues. I am curious as to how much longer this will take to make a decision to fix it (or deny it is an issue) and get the watch back to me. Left to their own devices, without me bugging them to death, how long would it organically take to resolve this on their own?....It will be interesting to find out.

The store has been very helpful and responsive, so I can't knock them in all of this....

So, again, if you buy a higher end Seiko, check everything that might bother you before you buy it....

Will update when I know more....any bets how much longer it will be?...lol
Old 24 January 2019, 05:45 PM   #20
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Well I for one could see the issue but perhaps there was nothing out of specification.

We have discussed ad nauseum the potential problems faced when we return new watches for warranty work justified or otherwise.

The store would agree with you as ‘the customer is always right’.

Will wait for an update.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 05:03 AM   #21
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
The ring is shifted 25s forward.

I am not sure I would even mess with it.

But regarding the vintage quartz watches....the Seiko movements were made very well...if you picked up a good example it would last you a very long time.

I have a 6159-7010 which is an amazing piece of Seiko tech considering when it was made. 36k bph movements are amazing to listen to.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 04:37 AM   #22
pokpok
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Any updates on this?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the SBBN040 but unfortunately I will have to purchase it online without examining for misalignment.

I think this is the 1st misaligned chapter ring for this watch S23626/SBBN040 I've seen posted online. Hopefully yours get fixed or replaced asap.
Old 1 February 2019, 05:50 AM   #23
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokpok View Post
Any updates on this?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the SBBN040 but unfortunately I will have to purchase it online without examining for misalignment.

I think this is the 1st misaligned chapter ring for this watch S23626/SBBN040 I've seen posted online. Hopefully yours get fixed or replaced asap.

The watch is now in the service system for "repair", which it seems that Seiko has agreed that there is indeed a problem and are working to resolve it..not sure what that will entail....so they didn't flat out reject it as "within spec"...well at least not yet.

The have had the watch for about 6weeks now.

The store ordered another one for me, to expedite things, but that chapter ring was off center as well and the marker @ 6'o'clock was messed up too. The store refused it and sent it back.

So, I am a Seiko fan and have too many of them already, I say that to avert the flaming I will be getting for my next statement.

There is something wrong with the QC @ Seiko. Two $2400 quartz LE watches the dealer got were not right. The second one was essentially unsaleable.

Clearly they can get things very right when you look at the quality of the GS line, but when it comes to some of their other references, including LE like this Tuna reissue, there is not that attention to detail.

So, that being said, if you are interested in this reference and things like misaligned chapter rings etc would bother you, then I would not buy one until you can actually look at it in person or at least look at good, clear pics of the actual watch you will be getting. If you get a bad one, it takes time and effort to get it looked at....let alone get it resolved.

Like I said originally, I clearly made a mistake when buying this watch. It was a surprise impulse buy and I didn't fully check it for everything...that is on me and the misaligned chapter ring is on them. Don't be like me!
Old 1 February 2019, 06:25 AM   #24
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I had to send in my SBDC051 (not an LE, just a standard 6R15 diver) for the same issue. It went to the NJ service center. They had it for over a month before finally notifying me they were sending it back without doing anything. I called them up immediately and was told by the "technician" (Note: NOT a watchmaker) that it was fully within Spec and didn't warrant a replacement chapter ring. He even went so far as to tell me "No alignment of chapter rings is ever 100% correct." That's BS. I got him to admit that it was not perfect, but he wouldn't touch it. For a brand new $1000 watch, it shouldn't have that issue, IMO. Same goes for Marine Masters and these golden Tuna's. Luckily, my MM300 SBDX017 doesn't have the issue.

My GMT II LN rehaut engraving isn't perfectly aligned, either, but I can live with it because it's not something I am constantly looking at and noticing. I have to go out of my way to see it. But a minute track misalignment is distinctly evident...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 07:25 AM   #25
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
I had to send in my SBDC051 (not an LE, just a standard 6R15 diver) for the same issue. It went to the NJ service center. They had it for over a month before finally notifying me they were sending it back without doing anything. I called them up immediately and was told by the "technician" (Note: NOT a watchmaker) that it was fully within Spec and didn't warrant a replacement chapter ring. He even went so far as to tell me "No alignment of chapter rings is ever 100% correct." That's BS. I got him to admit that it was not perfect, but he wouldn't touch it. For a brand new $1000 watch, it shouldn't have that issue, IMO. Same goes for Marine Masters and these golden Tuna's. Luckily, my MM300 SBDX017 doesn't have the issue.

My GMT II LN rehaut engraving isn't perfectly aligned, either, but I can live with it because it's not something I am constantly looking at and noticing. I have to go out of my way to see it. But a minute track misalignment is distinctly evident...
That is what I am afraid of happening to me with this one, but since this is a LE and they have had "multiple" people involved in this process because it is an LE, then hopefully it will be different.

The thing is if they are going to make LE references for collectors and enthusiasts, they have to be right. We know they can do it because the GS are usually spot on, so that needs to transfer over the the other lines in terms of at least blocking and tackling. Make sure it's lined up...that's it.
Old 19 February 2019, 04:09 AM   #26
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

<<<<<<UPDATE>>>>>>>

The Tuna has returned.

Seiko decided that the chapter ring was indeed an issue and they fixed it.

Not sure whether they replaced the ring or adjusted it, but it's centered now and the seconds hand hits the markers.

The boutique did a great job in facilitating the repair, so all in all the outcome was very good.

I do think Seiko is having a bit of an issue with QC, but they fixed it and that's ok with me.
Old 19 February 2019, 08:54 AM   #27
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Good to hear

The crucial mistake I made was to read this thread and then check the chapter ring on my new turtle
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:59 AM   #28
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

All's well that ends well. Good to hear they took care of you.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:37 PM   #29
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am glad it is right for you. Great watch.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:21 AM   #30
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nice that you got it resolved, time to enjoy it