The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2018, 07:23 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Supercar vs. Sports Car

Curious what you guys with experience think.

I read an article recently that was titled something like "The things you don't know about owning a Super Car (exotic)".

One thing that really stood out is the idea that they are really tough to drive.

The comment made specifically was that you don't simply take out your Ferrari or McLaren to go to the grocery store or the gym.

Apparently you take these cars out to go from point A, to point A. Meaning, you simply take them out for a drive and then return it back to the garage.

I find all this pretty interesting. I love the idea of someday owning an exotic car. But I drive my GTS all the time. If it is nice out, I am driving.

Curious if anyone has any experience and thoughts on this.

Thanks,

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I rented one in Dubai a few years ago. The novelty wore off in about 4 hours. Maybe that’s the point A to point A threshold for those owners, or the reason they all seem to have really low miles.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 08:20 AM   #3
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
I think it's the same as the watch world with those who keep the stickers on their safe queens versus those who wear it every day because they love it.

I drive my 458 any time the mood strikes - whether that's up the coast for a nice drive or to the store to get some last minute groceries for dinner. I bought the car to enjoy it! Rock chips and all.
Old 28 December 2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
I think it's the same as the watch world with those who keep the stickers on their safe queens versus those who wear it every day because they love it.

I drive my 458 any time the mood strikes - whether that's up the coast for a nice drive or to the store to get some last minute groceries for dinner. I bought the car to enjoy it! Rock chips and all.
What year is your 458? IIRC the one I rented was a 2014.
Old 28 December 2018, 08:26 AM   #5
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Nonsense I say. There are quite a few TRF members here that own multiple exotics that could jump in here. But, the most recent two cars I have, in the summer months, the cars would be out to restaurants, car shows etc. I have also gone to the gym regularly with them and have looked for any other excuse to take them for a drive.
I am relentless on asking my wife if she needs me to pick up anything from the grocery store, or birthday gifts, gift cards at retailers etc.
Owning the exotics have made me a better husband and father as I am always readily available for any husband or daddy duties!!
Here are a couple of fun pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 08:34 AM   #6
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
What year is your 458? IIRC the one I rented was a 2014.
2012 Italia. I had a very specific list of options I was looking for and after a 6 month search, found one that fit the bill perfectly. There are definitely times where it isn't the most exciting car to drive, i.e. bumper to bumper traffic; backing into a parking space and praying your depth perception keeps the CF rear diffuser unmarred - but the thrill of doing even mundane things like randomly picking up my nephews from school keeps the love alive for me.

Then there's pounding the pavement ... I've been fortunate to drive a lot of cars but nothing even comes close to the planted feeling of the rear end or the battle cry of the flat plane V8 screaming its way to 9000 rpm.

In a perfect world the sound system / infotainment system would be better but I'll take the exhaust note over tunes every day and twice on Sunday.

How did you feel the novelty wore off on the one you drove?
Old 28 December 2018, 08:40 AM   #7
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Nonsense I say. There are quite a few TRF members here that own multiple exotics that could jump in here. But, the most recent two cars I have, in the summer months, the cars would be out to restaurants, car shows etc. I have also gone to the gym regularly with them and have looked for any other excuse to take them for a drive.
Speaking my language! Reminds me how lucky I am that I don't have to put them up for the winter. Love the AMG too.

Fun pic from last weekend's brunch and winery run:

My friend just bought that 2006 GT for his wife with 825 miles on it ... been using it for daily duties for a few weeks now.
Old 28 December 2018, 08:41 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I am relentless on asking my wife if she needs me to pick up anything from the grocery store, or birthday gifts, gift cards at retailers etc.
Owning the exotics have made me a better husband and father as I am always readily available for any husband or daddy duties!!
Here are a couple of fun pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice !

I think it’s great to use whatever you have - only so much enjoyment can be had simply from possessing rather than using.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 08:42 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I once heard the NSX did more for ferrari’s reliability than ferrari would have done on their own. The 360 apparently forward were designed to be everyday drivable and reliable. I had a mechanic friend who told the new Lambos were also more reliable and drivable once audi bought them.l (he mentioned lots of cross compatibility of parts as well).
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 08:45 AM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
2012 Italia. I had a very specific list of options I was looking for and after a 6 month search, found one that fit the bill perfectly. There are definitely times where it isn't the most exciting car to drive, i.e. bumper to bumper traffic; backing into a parking space and praying your depth perception keeps the CF rear diffuser unmarred - but the thrill of doing even mundane things like randomly picking up my nephews from school keeps the love alive for me.

Then there's pounding the pavement ... I've been fortunate to drive a lot of cars but nothing even comes close to the planted feeling of the rear end or the battle cry of the flat plane V8 screaming its way to 9000 rpm.

In a perfect world the sound system / infotainment system would be better but I'll take the exhaust note over tunes every day and twice on Sunday.

How did you feel the novelty wore off on the one you drove?
The car was amazing and I loved a lot of the experience driving out in the desert. No speed cameras and crazy fast. But after a couple hours I realized I was more intensely excited driving a Prado at 190 kph than a 458 at 260 kph. Probably being on the verge of catastrophe in the Prado compared to being “in control” in the 458 made the exotic experience less adventurous. Once that notion settled in the ride was over.
Old 28 December 2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I think todays exotics and even hypercars are easier to drive. For someone who has never driven a 90's or older supercar, even an early Dodge Viper would be a handful to them. lol. Actually, to most, anything prior to the 90's with a decent amount of torque would be scary to them.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 09:22 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Over the years have enjoyed a variety of vehicles from Bentley and Ferrari to Big Arse F250 Superduty.... and a dedicated open wheel track car. In the end i feel it's best to use the right vehicle for the 'job at hand`. Lightweight flywheel and clutch is great for track, yet a pia for street use. New Ferrari, McLaren, etc are computers on wheels. So modes make the car, to some degree, more versatile.

The F40 was the last true drivers car from Ferrari. jmho

Road course track a Formula 2000 or Formula Atlantic... or CSR / DSR. Road legal cars are very slow by comparison.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 10:20 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I prefer to be able to use the things I own. For that reason I’d rather have a 911 and put on 10-15k miles per year. None of that point A to point A crap. Some can afford to do this with exotics. That’s awesome.
Old 29 December 2018, 04:44 AM   #14
SRT313
Banned

The guy with the McLaren down the street seems to have no problem driving his daily in the summer.
SRT313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 05:14 AM   #15
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Although neither is a supercar an interesting comparison can be made with the Lotus Elise and Alfa Romeo 4C. Both are pure sports cars to the extreme that are great fun to drive but almost unusable as a daily driver to 90% of us. Both sold like hotcakes at their US introductions, then the market flooded with them a year later when the would be owners realized how spartan they were. Having driven both I would love to have a 4C as a retirement fun car but my practical side knows a Porsche Boxster would be infinitely more reliable and usable.
I’ve never owned an exotic but I dailyed both of my Porsches, a 987 Cayman and a 991 Carrera. I put 62K miles on my 911 before I sold it. My personal hero is a local chap who is seen pretty regularly driving his McLaren F1 as well as other special cars in his collection. The F1 has rock chips on the front!
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 08:01 AM   #16
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Although neither is a supercar an interesting comparison can be made with the Lotus Elise and Alfa Romeo 4C. Both are pure sports cars to the extreme that are great fun to drive but almost unusable as a daily driver to 90% of us. Both sold like hotcakes at their US introductions, then the market flooded with them a year later when the would be owners realized how spartan they were. Having driven both I would love to have a 4C as a retirement fun car but my practical side knows a Porsche Boxster would be infinitely more reliable and usable.
I’ve never owned an exotic but I dailyed both of my Porsches, a 987 Cayman and a 991 Carrera. I put 62K miles on my 911 before I sold it. My personal hero is a local chap who is seen pretty regularly driving his McLaren F1 as well as other special cars in his collection. The F1 has rock chips on the front!
Puts a smile on face to know some of these owners are driving these cars and not letting them sit in a garage!!!
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 08:07 AM   #17
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I've had a 458 for three years. I am essentially a point a to point a driver. That being said, I am in such a happy mood the entire day after my morning drive.
During the drive, I am completely engaged with the car. I'm listening to the engine for the correct shift points, watching the drivers I come across, and watching for the rozzers. The sound is just beautiful, and I hear it in my mind for many hours. No other car I have driven gets my full attention, and I love it.
It took me close to 4 months to get used to the car. That's after owning a 430 for 3 years and tracking that car twice.
I will be taking it to Daytona at the end of January. The Ferrari club has the track the Monday after the Rolex 24 hours. That is how you learn about your Ferrari.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 08:33 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

^^^

458 spider is what I’m after...

Love the 570s spider too.

But have always wanted a Ferrari.

That said, not sure I can pull the trigger.

Old 29 December 2018, 11:36 AM   #19
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
My wife makes them all her daily drivers, gym, Costco, grocery store etc. I drive them everywhere as well weather is ok and parking is not sketchy.

Once you realize it’s only a car it gets easier. However, mine are usually so dirty it’s embarrassing.
fastmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 11:36 AM   #20
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Don’t get the GTR guys started on this debate, we’ll never hear the end of it.

In my head, a super car is one that is rare, specialized and designed from the ground up to be a super car.

Cars that are generally accessible with mass produced parts, engines, etc., are not in my humble opinion “super” instead they are a “sport” model within a wide model series.

The word “hypercar” also gets thrown around. There are some insanely capable sedans and even SUVs, but it’s not always about 0-60, 1/4 mile times. Ex. LFA vs. GTR.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 12:31 PM   #21
exador
Banned

Supercars are very different beasts today than when the name was first coined in the 70s and 80s.

With traction control, antilock brakes, paddle shift gearboxes, power steering and four wheel drive on some, any Schmuck can hop in and drive one quickly.

And with so many models on the market, the concept of which cars are ‘super’ has become blurred...
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 02:01 PM   #22
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
I'm not sure about the need for a Supercar. I think I want one but would want to drive all the time.

I went for the M6 because I knew it would have the power, driving excitement and ability to be a daily driver.

I don't have the garage space right now but that will likely be changing in next few years. I guess I'll have to seriously contimplate the idea of owning a Supercar in the not so distancent future.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 03:29 PM   #23
77T

My thoughts go to timing. What is super today is sports tomorrow. The borders are constantly changing as yesterday’s super ages out.

I think cars that are called supercars by most are not a supercars. Mostly they are super sports cars.

Supercars are the absolute pinnacle of a brand's engineering and design. Once you’ve driven one to the grocers, it’s less super IMHO. 100 engine hours later and you’re already off-peak by maybe 10%.

What a crying shame to tether them to the roads where they’ll lose their specialness, their superness, their essence. They deserve the track and techs that can wring out their optimal performance for you to enjoy.

There, I said it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 04:03 PM   #24
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
While I have never been lucky enough to own one, the 720S is commonly referred to a something that could be driven everyday.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 04:07 PM   #25
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
458 spider is very nice. I think you should go for it. It's obviously a very bad itch of yours and if you don't experience first hand, and like right now, it'll always be a nagging itch. I also think you could get away with it being a daily driver.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 08:42 PM   #26
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I prefer to be able to use the things I own. For that reason I’d rather have a 911 and put on 10-15k miles per year. None of that point A to point A crap. Some can afford to do this with exotics. That’s awesome.
Totally agree.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 09:41 PM   #27
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
I only have one car and most would think it not appropriate as a daily driver but that exactly how I use it, including shopping bags in the small trunk.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 11:04 PM   #28
Keadog
"TRF" Member

The death of the manual transmission has saved me a lot of money and lust for cars I can't afford.

I had a '15 911TT and although neither exotic nor a supercar, it was very fast but also very easy to drive. Never driven a Ferrari, Lambo, etc so I can't comment there, but the two scariest cars I owned and drove were a '69 Pontiac GTO from new (lots of "go" for the era but very little "stop") and an '88 Turbo Cabriolet 911. That car could be really scary - you never knew for sure when that big single turbo would kick in and trailing throttle oversteer was very real at the time.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 12:33 AM   #29
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I’m truly on the fence with how I want to proceed. I’m a driver. And if the weather is good and the roads clear, I’m driving my GTS. Weekends of course.

Sounds tho that this will not change if I upgrade.

That said, I truly love the GTS. And it’s paid for. If I go “up” I’ll have to finance the rest. And I despise debt. Despise it.

I could pay the cash for it, but I like my emergency accounts at a somewhat irresponsible level. Meaning, I’d be better off with some of it invested. However, being a small business owner, I like to be sure I have enough to weather any kind of significant storm. So if I take a chunk out, I’m still not putting myself at risk. Or I suck it up and get a payment. It’ll be the only one I have.

That said, my investment accounts are in order. My retirement accounts are in order. I own my home and own one I’m now renting out. The rental pays all monthly fees for both. I have no kids and my father is fighting a massive battle with cancer (yes, this plays a role in my thinking).

And truly, I’m ready to spice things up a little. I don’t want to be at the end of my years and say I haven’t done it. Clearly, as some of you guys know, this is a true bucket list for me.

God forbid something did happen and I needed the cash, I imagine I could move it along relatively easy. Especially if I’m willing to move it cheaply. I figure there will always be someome looking for a deal. And even with just the payment of my GTS, I’ll have a lot of equity in the car. So that feels somewhat safe.

Going to look at a 14 458 spider this am.

I’ll report back.

Old 30 December 2018, 12:39 AM   #30
Kimber007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadog View Post
The death of the manual transmission has saved me a lot of money and lust for cars I can't afford.
The manual transmission is far from dead. You just need to buy the right kind of cars.
Kimber007 is offline   Reply With Quote