The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 January 2019, 09:21 AM   #31
alwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116523, 114060
Ok guys i now have a better idea and understanding of why buying a Hublot even if you can afford it, is not the best idea if you don’t truly love it. Because its almost like paying for the hype and attention. Something completely out of my ordinary. Anyways, thanks for the responses everyone! Really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 09:22 AM   #32
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
I could be totally off but I think most of the big bangs when they came out were ETA movement based. Not to say anything is wrong with that as the ETA movements are workhorses and proven. However for the price the Hublots were requesting and the movements being ETA based it threw some of the hardcore watch fans off.

Personally I like the style of the Hublot. I find them to be quite sporty and casual. And yes they do have an AP feel due to the bezel.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 09:50 AM   #33
alwo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i agree a non WIS watch aimed at casual buyers, and that isnt the worst thing necessarily but we are all WIS here... the reverse is true of GS. Its kind of a WIS brand and casual buyers don't get it.

yeah.. researching more about the brand and seeing how they market their image, i can conclude that they are targeting a complete different demographic and i feel like most of us here are not that targeted customer base.

Old 4 January 2019, 11:26 AM   #34
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
All this hate has made me decide to strap on the Big Bang tomorrow instead of my Daytona.
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 11:35 AM   #35
alwo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
All this hate has made me decide to strap on the Big Bang tomorrow instead of my Daytona.

i dont think its hate at this point, i think i asked a demographic that views Hublot types of watches differently, im pretty sure if Richard Mille owners view Rolexes differently as well.

Old 4 January 2019, 12:14 PM   #36
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
I may be strapping on my first Hublot soon
Old 4 January 2019, 01:04 PM   #37
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwo View Post
Ok guys i now have a better idea and understanding of why buying a Hublot even if you can afford it, is not the best idea if you don’t truly love it. Because its almost like paying for the hype and attention. Something completely out of my ordinary. Anyways, thanks for the responses everyone! Really appreciate it!

I think this is true for any brand or piece, not just hublot. Never be driven by ‘hype’ - stick to what you love to look at wear.

P.S. is there really that much hype and attention surrounding Hublot ?!

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 01:14 PM   #38
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I actually like the look of a few models and their use of materials but can’t get past the pedestrian movements for that $
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 08:26 AM   #39
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I’m totally with you on the Spirit of Big Bang model. I don’t have RM money either Check out the Spirit of Big Bang Blue Ceramic...
I’ve seen it on the website! I think it’s a fun looking watch! cannot wait for your incoming pics
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 08:31 AM   #40
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
I’ve seen it on the website! I think it’s a fun looking watch! cannot wait for your incoming pics
Will do. I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on it...
Old 6 January 2019, 01:27 AM   #41
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

I just think Hublots aren't very appealing looking. Admittedly, they look better in person than in photos, but I never lay awake at night thinking about a Hublot where I do other watches. That's the reason I don't own one.

Also, size. 48mm isn't a reasonable size.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 12:43 PM   #42
stevec0
"TRF" Member

I get why some people don’t love the brand due to some gauty designs. However, the classic fusion range is really something. Trying it on in person, they have an amazing feel on the wrist. Most hublot’s are straps, and I have the day the straps are insanely comfortable and look great, I think both in formal and casual, depending on the color classic fusion you choose.
Ps- in terms of value you can probably land a BNIB classic fusion for -30% all day from smaller AD’s and grey market.
stevec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 11:45 AM   #43
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I think they have some good looking models & they have a following. Its just that I've never seen one that I badly wanted & the early ones with ETA movements going for $8K were kind of off-putting.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 08:12 PM   #44
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

Hublot Calssic Fusion Titanium is a great watch, lots of admirers when I wear it....
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 02:13 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
I think they have some good looking models & they have a following. Its just that I've never seen one that I badly wanted & the early ones with ETA movements going for $8K were kind of off-putting.
The BBs were going for double that, that was the whole problem with their forced exclusivity, if they had priced the ETAs fairly they would not have gotten half the stick, but then no footballers either.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:35 PM   #46
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
OP have you actually tried on and looked at Hublots? Or are you just concerned with the perception and what others think? You said you wanted a more fun, contemporary and flashier watch and Hublot fits the bill for most people looking for a watch in those categories. If you try it on and actually like a watch you quickly forget about what others think, perceive, or resale value. Try one of the Classic Fusions then go from there.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 11:37 PM   #47
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec0 View Post
I get why some people don’t love the brand due to some gauty designs. However, the classic fusion range is really something. Trying it on in person, they have an amazing feel on the wrist. Most hublot’s are straps, and I have the day the straps are insanely comfortable and look great, I think both in formal and casual, depending on the color classic fusion you choose.
Ps- in terms of value you can probably land a BNIB classic fusion for -30% all day from smaller AD’s and grey market.

Have to admit that my perception of the brand changed after seeing the classic fusion line in person. Great designs with great movements. Super comfy on the wrist too. May become a part of my collection at some point.
Old 10 January 2019, 12:32 AM   #48
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post

Have to admit that my perception of the brand changed after seeing the classic fusion line in person. Great designs with great movements. Super comfy on the wrist too. May become a part of my collection at some point.
I feel the same way. I really like their ceramic models, ie, the Spirit of Big Bang 42mm. The 42mm case size is very wearable on a thin wrist like mine. The Tonneau shaped case and cambered case back curves nicely around the wrist. Also, the ceramic material is probably very comfy and light on the wrist.
Old 16 January 2019, 04:04 AM   #49
stevec0
"TRF" Member

I gotta say, after this whole AP code disaster, no one should say that hublot is just a copycat of AP and lacks innovation blah blah blah...it took AP years to make the code and they keep talking about how they use “double curved sapphire glass”...that’s been done on so many brands dating back 2 decades...on the other hand, hublot says, double curved sapphire? How about a full sapphire case...oh and let’s figure out how to make them jewel colored. It’s time for a hublot forum on TRF.
Old 16 January 2019, 04:11 AM   #50
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I gotta say, after this whole AP code disaster, no one should say that hublot is just a copycat of AP and lacks innovation blah blah blah...it took AP years to make the code and they keep talking about how they use “double curved sapphire glass”...that’s been done on so many brands dating back 2 decades...on the other hand, hublot says, double curved sapphire? How about a full sapphire case...oh and let’s figure out how to make them jewel colored. It’s time for a hublot forum on TRF.
no Hublot actually says "Magic Sapphire" ... and maybe we will put this magical material on the next bitcoin edition
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 04:23 AM   #51
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nobody is doubting Hublot's technical innovation and prowess (atleast not me). And I generally do think they get a bad wrap with regards to "stealing" the genta design.
But it would do them a whole lot of good to tone down their style and reduce the number of limited editions.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 04:53 AM   #52
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Nobody is doubting Hublot's technical innovation and prowess (atleast not me). And I generally do think they get a bad wrap with regards to "stealing" the genta design.
But it would do them a whole lot of good to tone down their style and reduce the number of limited editions.
thats what i am saying. its a lot of cool stuff and innovation (even if i dont like the case designs). I dont want to spend that much money on something that is that ridiculous.... i mean seriously what is a Big Bang One Click Chen Man anyway? Ice Bang? That one really should have been a limited edition for a movie, but sadly no.

i need a Thesaurus to figure out some of it. Either that or im not cool enough. Its serious money on something that is kind of immature in how it comes across. I guess it could be a mid life crisis watch, but other than that i cant really warm up to the whole atmosphere around it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:30 AM   #53
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
If you have money to burn and you enjoy Hublot then I would say buy one. Don't ever get tired of it though and trade it in or sell it. That will be a very disappointing day for you. I learned my lesson but it took me 3 times! Never again...
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:11 AM   #54
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thats what i am saying. its a lot of cool stuff and innovation (even if i dont like the case designs). I dont want to spend that much money on something that is that ridiculous.... i mean seriously what is a Big Bang One Click Chen Man anyway? Ice Bang? That one really should have been a limited edition for a movie, but sadly no.

i need a Thesaurus to figure out some of it. Either that or im not cool enough. Its serious money on something that is kind of immature in how it comes across. I guess it could be a mid life crisis watch, but other than that i cant really warm up to the whole atmosphere around it.
That's the other thing that generally bothers me as well. The product names are kind of childish and I can't take the actual watch seriously.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 03:20 AM   #55
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That model actually sells well. It's a ladies piece & with the white MOP dial, a lot of strap options go well with it.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:41 PM   #56
alwo
"TRF" Member

thank you everyone for the suggestion and tips!

Old 31 January 2019, 05:05 AM   #57
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I like the Unico. My problem with it is that why they have to put the quick strap change button on top of the lugs? Why not under.

When you put the quick strap change button on top of both lugs, thats 2 buttons of which pressed, the watch falls off your wrist. I want those buttons under, not on top of the lugs.

Otherwise, the horrible resale value, which also means good deal maybe found in the used market.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:16 AM   #58
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Even more frowned upon is posting about hublot in the Rolex discussion
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 03:20 PM   #59
MCHI09
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I like some Hublots. The meca 10 is nice
https://www.hublot.com/en/collection...ack-magic-45mm
MSRP is spicy and I haven't seen one come up for sale at a meaningful discount
MCHI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 04:25 AM   #60
stevec0
"TRF" Member

I'm getting the Titanium Classic Fusion 45mm Chrono delivered tomorrow. tried on again and couldn't resist.