The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2019, 05:07 AM   #1
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Grand Seiko Warranty

I read online that Grand Seiko only keeps replacement parts on discontinued models for 10 years, and that generally, repair work done by GS is a nightmare since most of their work involves sending it out to Japan.

Is this true? What has been everyone's experience?

Also, I've done a lot of shifting around in my collection, with tons of trades to settle into my rotation.

I've moved from the SBGV007, to the Peacock, and now to the Snowflake (SBGA211).

Call me crazy, but I think the Snowflake is so much nicer and more comfortable than the Peacock.

I've narrowed down my main collection to the GMT Master II and the Snowflake for now. I've always heard so much about the Snowflake and thought it was overblown, but sheesh, its such a beauty, and don't get me started on that sweep!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSsnowflake.jpg (62.0 KB, 188 views)
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 05:20 AM   #2
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I bet no one here knows this answer for certain. This has been asked for years on the net I have yet to hear of an issue.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 05:50 AM   #3
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I've only heard second hand on other (Seiko-specific) forums that only the Spring Drive movements have to be serviced in Japan.

I am pretty certain that the 10-year retirement is fact for standard Seiko watches, at least 10 years from the date they stop manufacturing the movement, but I am not sure about that for GS. I might be inclined to think differently, considering there are very few watchmakers qualified to work on Spring Drive watches...

If it's a real concern for you, it might be worth discussing with a GS AD. Otherwise, like Terry said, no one really knows for certain. Even my points presented are simply guesses, at this point.

Nice Snowflake, though!
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:09 AM   #4
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I think there is a sticky on WUS under the GS forum that discusses this. The OP works for GS IIRC.
Old 9 January 2019, 06:13 AM   #5
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Link: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f642/f...e-4203962.html

And quote:
Q: I have read online that Seiko will only make parts for Grand Seiko for 10 years. Is that true?

A: There has been much confusion in regards to this statement. The Grand Seiko Manual, under the After-Sale Service, states the following:
"·SEIKO makes it a policy to typically keep a stock of replacement parts for Seiko (not Grand Seiko) up to 10 years. Replacement parts are those which are essential to maintaining the functional integrity of the watch.
·Please keep in mind that if original parts are not available, they may be replaced with substitutes whose outward appearance may differ from the original."

Please be advised, for Grand Seiko the spare parts supply period is up to 30 years.

This statement is in reference to keeping stock up to 10 years/30 years after a watch or movement has been discontinued. In some situations, parts can also be manufactured if necessary, but may not always be possible. Grand Seiko is is made with longevity in mind and it is important to know that the parts themselves should easily stand the test of time if taken care of properly. No manufacture can stock parts for all of their watches indefinitely, but some brands do offer the possibility of servicing or manufacturing parts for vintage pieces. This typically comes at a very high cost. Seiko is not currently offering this service.
Old 9 January 2019, 02:48 PM   #6
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Link: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f642/f...e-4203962.html

And quote:
Q: I have read online that Seiko will only make parts for Grand Seiko for 10 years. Is that true?

A: There has been much confusion in regards to this statement. The Grand Seiko Manual, under the After-Sale Service, states the following:
"·SEIKO makes it a policy to typically keep a stock of replacement parts for Seiko (not Grand Seiko) up to 10 years. Replacement parts are those which are essential to maintaining the functional integrity of the watch.
·Please keep in mind that if original parts are not available, they may be replaced with substitutes whose outward appearance may differ from the original."

Please be advised, for Grand Seiko the spare parts supply period is up to 30 years.

This statement is in reference to keeping stock up to 10 years/30 years after a watch or movement has been discontinued. In some situations, parts can also be manufactured if necessary, but may not always be possible. Grand Seiko is is made with longevity in mind and it is important to know that the parts themselves should easily stand the test of time if taken care of properly. No manufacture can stock parts for all of their watches indefinitely, but some brands do offer the possibility of servicing or manufacturing parts for vintage pieces. This typically comes at a very high cost. Seiko is not currently offering this service.
Yep that is Joe Kirk, so he would know.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 09:38 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good answers. Thanks for the question and information.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote