The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2019, 07:41 AM   #1
j.mo
"TRF" Member

In the market again. This time for a gold model

So I'm back in the market again, this tome.for a precious metal version. I bought my first rolex april of 17 for a birthday present on a personal achievement. Well, I've decided to possibly make it a tradition and step it up for another achievement ive made. I have a 116610LN sub and now I'm possibly headed for a gold gmt. But I'm noticing, wow, prices have gone up! I purchased my sub from thanh for $7500. Wheres the best place to turn this time?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
j.mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mo View Post
So I'm back in the market again, this tome.for a precious metal version. I bought my first rolex april of 17 for a birthday present on a personal achievement. Well, I've decided to possibly make it a tradition and step it up for another achievement ive made. I have a 11610 sub and now I'm possibly headed for a gold gmt. But I'm noticing, wow, prices have gone up! I purchased my sub from thanh for $7500. Wheres the best place to turn this time?

Thanks guys!

A reputable pre owned or "trusted seller" is your best bet. Also as a word of caution, most of the preowned PM GMTs sell for about the same price (same model vs same model) If you find one too good to be true.....
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 07:48 AM   #3
j.mo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
A reputable pre owned or "trusted seller" is your best bet. Also as a word of caution, most of the preowned PM GMTs sell for about the same price (same model vs same model) If you find one too good to be true.....
When I bought mine it was a common factor that the precious metal was a steep discount to stainless. Have things changed over the past 2 years? I couldnt buy a sub for what I bought mine for new to save my life, and the discounts don't seem to be in existence for pm

Old 15 January 2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Congrats on the achievements--nothing more fun than shopping for a PM watch.

Stainless models have become harder to source, so the trickle up/halo phenomenon has occurred where all prices have gone up and some buyers are getting PM instead of waiting months/years for SS.

Don't kid yourself though, discounts are absolutely available for PM models, you just have to find a model you want and zero in on it and shop around. Visit enough ADs and you'll find one willing to play ball, especially if the model's in the case. You'd be hard pressed to find ADs willing to quote discounts over the phone unless they know you though.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:37 AM   #5
nick800
"TRF" Member

I got 20% and no tax on a YG Blue Dial Sub this year.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:43 AM   #6
CarpenterGold
"TRF" Member

I'm in a similar boat and would love to hear your thoughts on the trusted sellers vs sticking with an AD. I feel pretty confident I can get a discount on the watch I have in mind, though still likely will end up 5-10% more than going with DavidSW or someone like that...

I like the idea of building up the relationship with my local AD, but a 10% difference is some real money in a PM rolex.

Any thoughts on how you various folks would think about the question would be appreciated.
CarpenterGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 09:06 AM   #7
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

From an AD the best you can really hope for is ~20% off on PM.

From a trusted seller you can do better depending on the specific model you’re looking for.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 10:06 AM   #8
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Back to Thanh. He’s a great guy and will take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 11:02 AM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterGold View Post
I'm in a similar boat and would love to hear your thoughts on the trusted sellers vs sticking with an AD. I feel pretty confident I can get a discount on the watch I have in mind, though still likely will end up 5-10% more than going with DavidSW or someone like that...

I like the idea of building up the relationship with my local AD, but a 10% difference is some real money in a PM rolex.

Any thoughts on how you various folks would think about the question would be appreciated.
go with an AD if they can get close to the grey market price, otherwise go grey
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 11:08 AM   #10
CarpenterGold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
Thanks, that's how I'm leaning at the moment... just have to see how close is close :)
Old 15 January 2019, 11:09 AM   #11
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
So I'm back in the market again, this tome.for a precious metal version. I bought my first rolex april of 17 for a birthday present on a personal achievement. Well, I've decided to possibly make it a tradition and step it up for another achievement ive made. I have a 116610LN sub and now I'm possibly headed for a gold gmt. But I'm noticing, wow, prices have gone up! I purchased my sub from thanh for $7500. Wheres the best place to turn this time?

Thanks guys!

You might check with ADs in Oregon as the state has no sales tax. You might be able to get 20% off on a PM. There's nothing wrong with developing a relationship with an AD. If that is too expensive than likely a TS.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 11:28 AM   #12
j.mo
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys! How much of a discount is there in room to negotiate with a TS do you think? I find it hard to believe these $25k watches are flying off the shelves, and with close to 50% margins.

Old 15 January 2019, 12:24 PM   #13
nick800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
I already posted that I got one for 20% off no tax. That’s less than I could negotiate any grey for a similar “NIB”, and I got my name on the card.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:24 PM   #14
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I already posted that I got one for 20% off no tax. That’s less than I could negotiate any grey for a similar “NIB”, and I got my name on the card.
true, but its hard to get 20% at a lot of ADs right now
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:39 PM   #15
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I got 20% and no tax on a YG Blue Dial Sub this year.
What? No incoming pics? Let's see it!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:11 PM   #16
j.mo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watch I got from thanh came from an AD in Pittsburgh with my name on the card. Is that not a thing?

Old 15 January 2019, 02:06 PM   #17
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterGold View Post

I'd go AD if you can get within $1,000 of the trusted seller price. May be difficult without a previous relationship. All AD's ship if you ask, but they won't offer. It's worth going AD though if you want the hard to get pieces. Buying PM from my AD took my relationship from very good to the promised land.

TS may negotiate some but they don't have the margins on PM pieces that the ADs do, and they have a worldwide audience so if you won't pay for the PM model, somebody else will eventually do so.
Old 15 January 2019, 02:56 PM   #18
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Nice. Lucky. I love gold. Like Goldmember.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:51 AM   #19
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

Thanks guys!

You are in CA. Reach out to Tony Geha (JustRolexes) and Patrick Aziz (OCRolexguy). I bought a PM piece from Tony and he was awesome to work with. These guys will likely have a better price on a PM than an AD, especially if you don't have any relationship with one. Closest AD to me only offered 10% discount and I walked out.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:09 AM   #20
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

Do AD margins differ across models, or is it a standard ~40% that they are getting regardless of starting price of the watch?
k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:12 AM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I would take a look at what our Trusted Sellers have and then do a little comparison shopping at the AD.

Since you purchased your sub from Thanh, have you asked him about this?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:38 AM   #22
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
PM is best bought grey
Old 16 January 2019, 02:56 AM   #23
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I think PM is best bought used. But I get the appeal of a new one.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 06:49 AM   #24
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
David sw had me sorted and in hand with un 3 days. My local AD laughed me out of the store. Dsw was also a 15k saving for me.

You can see where my vote goes...
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:05 AM   #25
R!$
Banned

RG gmt or YG?
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:54 AM   #26
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I believe that you could easily get a 20% discount from an AD, no taxes. Few people can afford those pieces.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:58 AM   #27
CarpenterGold
"TRF" Member

We shall see... I was offered "at least 10%" when I asked generally back in the fall. I'm planning to wait until the day I'm ready and see what I can get offered, though as long as it's close to the going gray rate I'll be happy.

It will be my second purchase from the same AD, hoping to get some traction for a more desirable SS sometime later in 2019 or early 2020.
Old 16 January 2019, 09:16 AM   #28
peterpl
Banned

Just buy a new one with a good price from a TS. You wont lose much on resell in todays market.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:01 PM   #29
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Oh, and don’t bother mentioning the grey prices at an AD, they won’t price match, you’ll likely get a lecture about buying online, and they may hesitate to sell you any popular pieces if they know you are aware of the resale market.
Old 16 January 2019, 04:36 PM   #30
supersam80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 26331ST
Funny I just looked at davidsw for a white gold oysterflex Daytona, and once you convert the currency his used one is the same as a new one here at msrp
supersam80 is offline   Reply With Quote