The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 February 2015, 06:16 AM   #61
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This is a tough one, as I understand the emotional side.

But, last time I checked, a watchmaker doesn't go after those who paid just before a price hike in order to have them pay a little extra right after a price increase, and no one suggests a buyer should give the AD more money for having bought just before the price increase....

But, but, yeah, I would be a little annoyed, sure.

That is a very different analogy. A business is typically held to a higher standard than a consumer. That is why retailers in other industries offer price protection. That is why there is a better business bureau and consumer protection laws.

I think the nuance in this instance is that the Retailer and the manufacturer are not one in the same. Thus, it's a matter of who should bear the responsibility. In other words, why should the AD pay for the decrease, when it was the manufacturer who dictated the price decrease.
Old 13 February 2015, 07:07 AM   #62
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Just flipping through this and some act like the 7% the AD is shedding from its bottom line is pinching them to the bone. These are still MASSIVE profit makers when the product moves, and when you do right by your customer they will often return to buy another. Just saying, that's customer service...it's not always about what you believe is the right thing, it's about putting a good taste in that person's mouth for when they come back around or tell their friends.

They are still making quite the percentage I am sure even after the 7%.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 12:34 PM   #63
VetteBandit
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
My 2 cents

Couple of small thoughts to stir the pot.

I understand the knee jerk frustration for those who just purchased pieces pre price drop, but:
1) are those folks who just purchased planning to flip their watches soon?
2) are you buying watches as an investment / asset?

I really don't get it. The money I put towards watches is pure disposable income. Sure having a few thousand back would be nice, but honestly if the 7% price drop bothered me that much I would ask myself, "should I have spent that money on a watch in the first place?"

Just my 2 cents.

Instagram: @30threejosh
VetteBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 12:43 PM   #64
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I doubt any buyer of a Patek is genuinely concerned about the few thousand dollars he could have saved, honestly. It's the perception of value, the perception that what you bought into is now less valid. I actually think it's much ado about nothing because hopefully what they say is accurate and it will RAISE resale values in the grey market since it's pinching the grey dealers, but I'm not naive to misunderstand that this isn't about the money, it's entirely about perception of brand value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteBandit View Post
Couple of small thoughts to stir the pot.

I understand the knee jerk frustration for those who just purchased pieces pre price drop, but:
1) are those folks who just purchased planning to flip their watches soon?
2) are you buying watches as an investment / asset?

I really don't get it. The money I put towards watches is pure disposable income. Sure having a few thousand back would be nice, but honestly if the 7% price drop bothered me that much I would ask myself, "should I have spent that money on a watch in the first place?"

Just my 2 cents.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote