The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2019, 02:08 AM   #61
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I actually got down to one watch, but then I decided that I just had to have a Speedmaster Pro.

Then I saw the Other Side of The Moon ceramic Speedmaster Apollo 8 edition, and had to have that as well. I was kind of kicking myself after ordering it and then realized that both Speedys combined cost less new than my (ex-) Daytona sold for used. That helped.

The collection will grow again when I get my new Submariner. But mjb doesn't pay over retail for anything, so it may be a wait.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:09 AM   #62
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsin View Post
I personally don't have a collector's mentality (that goes for my guitars, and bikes too - if I don't play/ride them, I sell them).

I like the simplicity of owning less stuff that would just be sitting around 90% of the time anyways, it has freed up some mental energy and time.
Very well said.
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm into audio & motorcycling and if I find myself not using something, it goes. I also like the simplicity of owning less because for me less gives me more time to enjoy whatever it may be.
Old 7 December 2019, 04:45 AM   #63
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

2-3 for me plus a "beater" panerai for camping and swimming. oh and one dress watch. lol but more than that and it would be too much decision anxiety.
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 04:58 AM   #64
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
I take a more forward-looking approach to watch collecting. There are about 18-20 watches on my "to-do" list, but they span like 6-7 brands and that many different decades. Only one is a modern Rolex watch. Since a handful are rare, my collection is still small and I anticipate it'll grow very gradually.

I'm not one to judge others' tastes (we're all different), but sometimes I look at collections and wonder how people decided to buy the watches they did. If my collection of watches was little more than a string of stainless steel sports Rolexes, then yeah, I'd probably want to sell most of my collection as well.
Old 7 December 2019, 08:39 AM   #65
chillwill120
"TRF" Member

I used to try to limit myself to only watches that served a specific purpose. E.g. my datejust was my dressy watch for work, my Seamaster or Explorer II was my watch for weekend adventures or travelling, my Speedy was my watch for when I wanted to wear a leather strap, etc. Then I would end up with watches that wouldn't fall into one of those categories, or I would end up with two watches in one category and end up flipping. Then I'd miss them and buy them back. I fight the urge to try to fit all my watches into neat categories. Some of them don't get a ton of wear and don't fit into any specific category, but I just enjoy owning them. So long as I don't need the money, I try to just hold onto them.
chillwill120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:51 AM   #66
dooft11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Redsub
Trying to. But failed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dooft11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:54 AM   #67
Mack7
Banned

Went from 7 Rolex at the high down to 3 now and now all non-rolex gone except for one (nice) beater. None get ignored and all are fully enjoyed. Pretty happy this way...
Mack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:56 AM   #68
logix1229
"TRF" Member

hellllllll no. The more i own the better!
logix1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 10:26 AM   #69
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

It's tough to whittle down because i'm equally drawn by vintage and modern -- maybe one day I'll start shedding....
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 10:48 AM   #70
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Cutting down would make me less happy.

My humble collection of 12 watches contains the 3 high end pieces I want: a chrono, a diver, a dressy sports watch. Rest of the collection are affordable and mid-tier models (dress pieces and divers), they get worn with great pleasure, they're worth more to me than the money they could be sold at (10 grand tops in total). No point in downsizing in my case, I really enjoy the variety. I only got rid of the watches I didn't like (bought sight unseen) or got tired of, and that's not very common.

Having said that, if I was to add another high end piece, I would let go of one of the other three. I set myself a limit to the money I'm happy to have tied up in watches.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:00 AM   #71
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
Nope, cut it down to 3 and hated my life lol.

Back up to 7 and things are better now.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:04 AM   #72
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Yes.......43 watches in 2010......2019, 16 watches.
Old 7 December 2019, 12:51 PM   #73
Mtlguy52
"TRF" Member

Smaller is not better.
Mtlguy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 01:52 PM   #74
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon19 "what do i get for twenty dollers..." Ebryting...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
In the last two weeks.....significantly cut down and feeling like relief.

Just getting TIRED OF....

-thinking what I “should have” vs what I actually “want, and am most comfortable wearing” for my lifestyle.
-following the crowd
-FOMO
-Deciding what goes with what (I know..personal issue most don’t worry about)
-worrying about expensive pieces getting banged around (another personal issue, many don’t worry about)

And so on....

Before TRF ...not that I blame this great forum, I absolutely love it!....I had a 16610 for my daily wearer for 12 years, and never worried about a thing.

My goal a few years ago was to try absolutely everything I was remotely interested in....mostly Rolex, but some other brands as well.
I’ve pretty much accomplished that, and find myself wanting to get back to where I was, (as far as thinking about watches), in 1997...proud as hell of my only Rolex.

Not that I’ll be a one watch guy again...but simplicity, a no brainer/goes with everything, anytime, any metal, couple of watches, is on the horizon.
May become a 3 watch max guy sooner than later. Like I said I’ve been busy in the last two weeks, headed this direction.

I can't wait to see how this ends up...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 12:48 AM   #75
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterbunny View Post
2-3 for me plus a "beater" panerai for camping and swimming. oh and one dress watch. lol but more than that and it would be too much decision anxiety.

This is sort of what I’m looking at. Primarily rotate my YM and DJ41, use my 1980s DJ 36 on a black leather strap as a dress watch, and use my Breitling SOH as a beater.

Houston77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 01:07 AM   #76
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston77 View Post
A while back, I decided to whittle down my collection. Now, I’m tempted to just rotate my two favorite pieces — my Dad’s YM and my DJ 41. Anyone have success reducing their collection down to one or two pieces? Did you miss the pieces you sold?

I am still trying. I have a large collection and I am someone that gets bored quickly without variety. So a two watch collection is impossible for me. What I can do is to start with "stop buying". I'm planning another buying moratorium for 2020.
Old 8 December 2019, 01:11 AM   #77
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Not cut down but did sell a few Omegas to find some Rolex. Next year I may whittle it down some to fund a day date. Or maybe swap some Rolex for an FJP or Lange though.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 01:11 AM   #78
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I wear all my watches, so I'm still okay with adding more.
edit: right after typing this response, I remember that I have a few old quartz watches that I NEVER wear. Except for my old LLBean field watch, I don't even keep the batteries going in those watches. I could easily part any or all of them.