The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2020, 07:56 AM   #61
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Maybe you’re right.

We should call it “precision settling time” or something else instead of “break in time.”

Again, because we don’t have to perform several movement services so that the movement breaks in (as we have to do with an engine so that it breaks in)

The dynamics associated with engine break-in are different and can be different for vastly different engines.
Some engines are best handled with an intial break-in of twenty minutes at a set of revs in neutral in the w/shop with lighter valve springs. After that the oil is dropped and the heavier(propper) valve springs fitted.
Then the on road component of the engine break-in is carried out.
Other engines which are designed for different applications are only required to run the factory fill oil until the first scheduled service with no elaborate oil change schelules what so ever, and will indeed perform well for the entire time an owner is likely to own the vehicle.

The engine and watch movement analogy is a very poor comparison really.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 08:03 AM   #62
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
"Filled for life" means drive it until it blows up. Then replace the transmission with a new one and repeat the process.
Absolutely
The diff in my mother in law's 2004 model car is starting to howl at times but she doesn't know it.
To her, it's all normal but it's got nearly 300,000 kms on the factory fill and she drives it around town.
I reckon it'll see her out at this rate though as she's pushing 80
It'll become a problem for one of her Grandkids eventually
Old 24 February 2020, 08:13 AM   #63
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Most mainsprings (made of steel that eventually fatigues) will eventually break long, long before 30 years rendering the movement virtually worthless without a full movement overhaul. Highly doubt the rotor axle and it's pivots would make it that long either.
Agreed.
There would be so much going on with such a neglected movement it would in all likelihood be US anyway.
Perhaps another one of those watches sitting in the back of a drawer somewhere in the house destined to become an heighloom, and replaced twice over with a cheap quartz.
Old 24 February 2020, 09:38 AM   #64
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Worn parts are routinely replaced at a RSC service for the benefit of the longevity and functionality of the movement. You never get to know about it.
I put it to you, the 30 year figure you hold out there is for the most part fantasy. Most watches which are worn daily will have stopped working well before then or been such poor timekeepers the owner would've long moved on to another source of the time. 40 years functioning properly is beyond belief.
I have over 60 year old unopened Omega and some other watches inherited from my grandfather...It will probably be impossible to service such old watches as most movement parts of a watch from 1950s - 1960s would be unavailable.
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:47 AM   #65
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Do Our Rolex Watches "Break In"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The dynamics associated with engine break-in are different and can be different for vastly different engines.
Some engines are best handled with an intial break-in of twenty minutes at a set of revs in neutral in the w/shop with lighter valve springs. After that the oil is dropped and the heavier(propper) valve springs fitted.
Then the on road component of the engine break-in is carried out.
Other engines which are designed for different applications are only required to run the factory fill oil until the first scheduled service with no elaborate oil change schelules what so ever, and will indeed perform well for the entire time an owner is likely to own the vehicle.

The engine and watch movement analogy is a very poor comparison really.

I didn’t know that not all break ins require elaborate oil changes.

That the engine and watch movement analogue is a poor comparison, is part of my point

I ask why engines require elaborate oil changes to break in, and watches don’t

But I think you answered it with your explanation of synthetic oils and transmissions and all

Thanks for the feedback!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:56 AM   #66
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Lots of all this figures in but in the real picture it will only go around so many times before it starts having issues regardless of what we are talking about .. Watches, appliances , or any sort of pump etc.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:44 PM   #67
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Engines have internal combustion happening. Watches don't can't compare both !
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:59 PM   #68
RobW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Are shavings also produced? I wouldn’t think so, because we don’t do oil changes on watches.
According to a Frederico Talking Watches episode on 5 Great Watches Ruined by 5 Flaws, shavings are produced. He was referring to an IWC plagued with what he called "micro-pollution."

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2020, 11:40 PM   #69
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
According to a Frederico Talking Watches episode on 5 Great Watches Ruined by 5 Flaws, shavings are produced. He was referring to an IWC plagued with what he called "micro-pollution."

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

At this point it’s pretty clear to me that they are.

However, it’s also clear that not enough shavings are produced during the break in period to require elaborate services during break in
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:48 AM   #70
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

long before that rolexes will die from lack of oil we will die.

So I dont care. I only care is time keeping overall its watch. If it becomes loosing time I will sent it to repair.

If it will be discontinued bad luck for my son it will be his responsibility to take care of it. I will be long gone.

Engine analogy is wrong, that tiny metal particles will be moving to the sides of the watch. ın my opinion wrist movement and temperature difference effect more.

Again I dont care, I will take it to the service every 10 years and thats it as long as I live.
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:00 AM   #71
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
Engines have internal combustion happening. Watches don't can't compare both !
Quite right.
Also watches are for the most part, hermetically sealed and as a result don't suffer the effects of moisture content in the oil which is made worse by short trips with moisture accumulating because of condensate.
With regard to the internal combustion process. It could be described as being similar to having a small thermal reactor(especially in the ring pack region).
Not to mention varying degrees of the effects of fuel dilution issues or potential coolant/glycol contamination.

Yes. Engines and watch movements are vastly different scenarios and it's impossible to compare operating conditions on any level.
Old 25 February 2020, 09:26 AM   #72
Sulla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,AK,DJ,EX,TTSub
Great topic with great knowledge shared here. Thank you OP for this thread!
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote