The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2020, 11:19 PM   #31
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
I am considering the TT version right now and notice that the case and bracelet appear to be the same in design as a Daytona which is my most comfortable watch.

I've also considered a TT Sub or GMT, but the case design of both wears considerably larger.

Having both the Daytona and ym40 I can confirm the ym wears larger than the Daytona. Daytona’s lugs are thinner and shorter. I think the Daytona case size is actually under 40 mm in true measurement.

Nevertheless ym definitely wears smaller than the gmt/sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 11:29 PM   #32
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Okay. So I own both the watches you are considering. If I was asked to make a choice of just one I would go with my yachtmaster TT in rose gold. It's everything a Rolex should be. It has enough presence without being too blingy. The date function is more useful than you may realise. The case size is perfect on every single way. You can set a second timezone with the bezel . It's a sports watch but will work with a suit, with a tuxedo and with a t shirt.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 11:33 PM   #33
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

I own both!

The no date submariner was my first Rolex! Never liked the yachtmaster untill the rhodium version came out, damn that is an awesome watch.

The yachtmaster has the nicer case and wears better but doesnt have the glidelock (not that i care or ever use it) but I wear 95% of the time my submariner and not the yachtmaster. But that is because it is more prone to damage, and i tend to wear it on special occasion. There is also a big price difference.

If it is your first watch, its a no brainer buy the no date sub. Also because i think of the sunburst dial it works better with sunny weather (not a lot in Holland). And the sub is more under the radar, you cant really work your way around the yachtmaster it shines!
Funny is that I also disliked the cyclops before, but now I like it a lot on my second Rolex!

Hope i helped you a little. You can ask me more if you want!
AAVDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:18 AM   #34
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
It’s a great watch. The case is beautiful. The dial in different sunlights looks amazing. It’s a dressy/sporty watch. It can be worn everyday and/or as a dressy piece. So happy I bought it, absolutely love it.

mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:58 AM   #35
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
Also concerned about it being not that legible in certain lights, i’ve seen a pictures where it’s too reflective and i’ve read from other owners who experienced this as well. see pic attached...
I agree and think your picture shows this (although somewhat exaggerated).

I’d go with the blue dial but I understand you don’t like it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:02 AM   #36
Dybala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, ML
I faced a similar choice between the Sub Date and rhodium YM. I picked the YM and I am happy with the choice. I see a a lot of Subs and with good reason but I wanted something less common and a little more versatile (dressing up or down). There are some glare issues in certain lightning but it does not bother me, it may for others. It is very comfortable.

I already had an Omega black dial dive watch so that also factored into my decision. The Sub would have a better resale value/demand but I never sell any of my watches so that did not factor into my decision.
Dybala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:06 AM   #37
ADR1982
"TRF" Member

I think the ym rhodium is gorgeous. I'd pick that. However I'm not a fan of pcl. A problem u wont have with the sub

Sent from my SM-M305F using Tapatalk
ADR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:03 AM   #38
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
when is basel?
April 30th

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:15 AM   #39
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
Okay. So I own both the watches you are considering. If I was asked to make a choice of just one I would go with my yachtmaster TT in rose gold. It's everything a Rolex should be. It has enough presence without being too blingy. The date function is more useful than you may realise. The case size is perfect on every single way. You can set a second timezone with the bezel . It's a sports watch but will work with a suit, with a tuxedo and with a t shirt.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I also have both, the sub 114060 and TT YM 116621 and agree 100% with what’s written here

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:17 AM   #40
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Interesting that so many people preference the YM here, over the sub. Could it be that to a collector, it is that much more interesting/unusual/different that it stands out more than the ubiquitous subs?

Frankly, I think the YM is underrated, and the two-tone version is hot.
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #41
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 07:00 AM   #42
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

thanks. it i’m not into the blue. please stop with the Blue.

it’s either Rhodium YM or Black Sub that’s the question. i haven’t heard from that many people who have both - that’s the point of the post. Can people elaborate.

Anyone have a Yachmtaster Rhodium and get rid of it?
jwalker497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:48 PM   #43
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post
YM. It wears like a 5 digit and is different than may Sub looking watches. I do have a SubC and it never gets any wrist time.

Can confirm about how it wears, and this was my big decision point for buying the 116622.

The slightly thinner profile and sloping of the lugs put much closer to how a Daytona wears. I find the current subs too big,... but I do have smaller wrists.

From the pictures the OP posted, sub looks fine on him, so maybe this isn’t a big part of his decision making process. But for anyone else checking in, they wear very differently!

The rhodium dial is stunning too. I get that every watch looks better in the metal than in a picture, but this one in particular makes a huge leap.

I see a lot of subs. I don’t see many YM. I kind of like that too.

Whatever you decide in the end, they are both incredible watches. There is no bad choice here! Let us know what you end up doing.

A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:52 AM   #44
DannyO
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 14060
I own a YM 116622 Rhodium 40 and a 1991 14060 2 line no date sub. I may not be the perfect person to respond to this because my sub is a 2 line with smaller hour markers. The face is less cluttered than the YM and easier to read. I can wear my sub like I don't give a damn. I have not been able to do that with the Ym. The craftsmanship, the materials used and the fit and finish are something special on the YM while the no date sub is exactly what you need and nothing more. With the YM you could easily rear end someone in traffic by staring at your own watch. The YM is a special watch.
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:00 AM   #45
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I would vote for the rhodium Yacht-Master. The dial is one my favorites.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 08:12 AM   #46
sp006
"TRF" Member

yachtmaster rhodium vs sub ND

Just got my blue dial YM shipped to me this morning and I couldn't be happier with the look and comfort on the wrist.

While I don't own the rhodium dial YM for comparison, I do have a rhodium DJ41 and I agree that it can get washed out in different light settings.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 10:45 AM   #47
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

sub nd...my one and only for 16 years! no regrets!
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 12:01 PM   #48
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
thanks. it i’m not into the blue. please stop with the Blue.

it’s either Rhodium YM or Black Sub that’s the question. i haven’t heard from that many people who have both - that’s the point of the post. Can people elaborate.

Anyone have a Yachmtaster Rhodium and get rid of it?
I know you want people to stop with the Blue. But I can't.
I have to agree with the others. The blue pops.
Old 25 March 2020, 01:00 PM   #49
LDN
"TRF" Member

YM blue dial is one of the better looking piece and very underrated! Not to mention platinum Bezel FTW!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 01:14 PM   #50
Ftech1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622, 126710

Love the YM. I’ve never had a watch that has gotten me more compliments.

Ftech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 01:15 PM   #51
tb06
"TRF" Member

tb06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 02:25 PM   #52
watchshot94
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by edl7 View Post
ym...all day long..

+1
watchshot94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 03:34 PM   #53
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

I own both: an 114060 Submariner No Date and the 116622 Yachtmaster with Dark Rhodium dial. There are trade-offs to both, as I’m sure you’re no doubt aware. The Sub is actually quite uncomfortable on my wrist (which is due to the more bulbous caseback, which causes the watch to “tilt” towards my wrist when my arm is at my side and the “teeth” of the large crown bite into the back of my wrist). I’d recommend trying on a SubC for five to ten minutes (if you’re somehow able). Others love the sub, but it’s just not a match for my wrist.

The YM40 Dk Rhdm is a stunning watch, but has a bit of an identity crisis by being both elegant and sporty at the same time. It’s suuuupppper comfortable on the wrist and does draw a lot of compliments. The platinum bezel is unfortunately prone to showing wear over time (compared to the near undamageable, ha, ceramic bezel). The PCLs also pick up scratches when you just look at them.

If the ND Sub fits and is comfortable for your wrist, I think it’s the better choice. It’ll be much easier to add an 116622 or 126622 in the future. Note: there is some speculation that we’ll see a new Sub for 2021, which could have a more refined case and the new movement.

Of all my watches though, the one that’s the best of everything is the 214270 Explorer 1 MkII dial. It’s comfy, it’s classic, it’s versatile, it’s easy to read, it has everything you need and nothing you don’t.
JPMickB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 03:42 PM   #54
FriendlyTotodial
"TRF" Member

I went rhodium
FriendlyTotodial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 05:10 PM   #55
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Out of those two, I prefer the YM. The no-date is solid but the YM just feels a bit more special.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 01:59 AM   #56
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
YM all day every day
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 02:19 AM   #57
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethiscity View Post
Sorry to hop on the blue bandwagon OP but I’ve had the sub and for me this is a lot more fun to own and wear every single day.. obviously there’s no wrong answer I’ve got my sights on an SD43 next

This is a stunning watch. Love it.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 02:26 AM   #58
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Rodium here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 03E40184-2B17-4796-89DE-E9AEFB141604.jpeg (168.1 KB, 207 views)
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 03:08 AM   #59
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

The Rodium dial is great! However that would be my second choice as I’m a fan of the RG on OF. Once my AD opens back up I’ll be going in.
Old 26 March 2020, 03:42 AM   #60
MilesB
"TRF" Member

I have both watches and like the YM more.

The Sub ND (5 digit) is the classic image of a Rolex I had growing up, which is why I got it. But that's also the problem I have with it, it's nice, it's classic, but it's a bit dull. I think because the image of it has been burnt into my brain through so many adverts it doesn't feel like 'my' watch when I see it on my wrist, it feels like I'm wearing the badge of the Rolex club.

The YM is different. I first saw it at Baselworld a while back and thought, that's a good looking watch. I saw it a few more times in the odd AD window and got the same feeling. When I wear it, it's 'my' Rolex, the one I chose because I liked the way it look and I don't see anyone else with it.

In terms of practicalities, they both wear similar, the YM being slightly bulkier, assuming you're comparing it to a 5 digit sub, but it's definitely smaller than modern subs. The YM looks best in bright natural light, where it really comes alive. I haven't had any problems with legibility.
MilesB is offline   Reply With Quote