The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2020, 12:48 AM   #1
MarineGirl22
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII,Day Date
Rolex authenticity

Hey Everyone!

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong area of the forum (first time poster). Just bought a day date from SDWatches and am curious how to get a certificate of authenticity. I read tons of reviews on Tony on TRF which is why I went ahead and did the transaction, but it still makes me nervous as it was a pretty pricy piece. I'd like to just do my due diligence and make sure everything is authentic. I went to an AD and they wouldn't do the authentication so wondering if this group knows of anywhere I can take it in NJ/NY.

Thanks in advance!
MarineGirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:29 AM   #2
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

Take to an AD and ask for a quote to service. They send it to a RSC and you will find out that way. Put some pics up too lots of knowledge here and can spot things for you.
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:34 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGirl22 View Post
Hey Everyone!

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong area of the forum (first time poster). Just bought a day date from SDWatches and am curious how to get a certificate of authenticity. I read tons of reviews on Tony on TRF which is why I went ahead and did the transaction, but it still makes me nervous as it was a pretty pricy piece. I'd like to just do my due diligence and make sure everything is authentic. I went to an AD and they wouldn't do the authentication so wondering if this group knows of anywhere I can take it in NJ/NY.

Thanks in advance!
Its a bit late now seeing you have bought the watch to get any sort of certificate of authenticity or do you not trust the person you bought it from..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:48 AM   #4
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Due diligence BEFORE purchase is due diligence.

Fortunately, Tony G. is trustworthy. No certificate of authenticity is forthcoming, though. The only thing you could do at this point is send it into a Rolex Service Center for a service (there's one in NJ) and they will issue a Service Certificate that authenticates the watch.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:04 AM   #5
GMT2NYC
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I bought my first Rolex (a Batman) on 47th street just before prices exploded. It was during the time when supply in ADs dried up, but the grey market prices were just starting to increase.

The watch was brand new....fully stickered, box, papers, everything. I trusted the seller and his online reputation was positive.

Even so, I wanted true verification. So here is what I did: I took an afternoon off of work and went to the Rolex USA HQ building on 5th Ave with the watch and warranty card. They will do an insurance appraisal (free with card, small fee without), on company letter head. As part of that process, they take the watch for about two hours and have a watchmaker inspect and verify the watch. Once complete, they provide documentation of what the watch is worth (they will only do retail MSRP). The documentation includes Rolex letterhead, Rolex watermark, and serial number of the watch.

Here is the important part --> they will not provide this if the watch is counterfeit OR if it has more than two non-Rolex parts in the movement. So in essence, they do a relatively thorough review of the watch before issuing the insurance appraisal.

Mind you I did not do this for the insurance appraisal....I did it for peace of mind, to have proof that the watch was 100% legitimate, and so that Rolex now had a record of the serial number being tied to my name (yes, they take your driver's license as well). I have no intention of ever selling the watch, so this was very important to me.
Old 24 February 2020, 02:35 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong area of the forum (first time poster). Just bought a day date from SDWatches and am curious how to get a certificate of authenticity. . . . !
There is no valid Certificate of Authenticity, because there is no authority that can certify that the process to certify is a valid one.

Only an RSC can issue a statement that your watch is authentic, and they take it apart and check every part. It runs about 150 bucks.
Old 24 February 2020, 02:37 AM   #7
GMT2NYC
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is no valid Certificate of Authenticity, because there is no authority that can certify that the process to certify is a valid one.

Only an RSC can issue a statement that your watch is authentic, and they take it apart and check every part. It runs about 150 bucks.
This is what I was trying to say....only Larry did it in a much more succinct, eloquent way.

Old 24 February 2020, 02:40 AM   #8
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT2NYC View Post
I bought my first Rolex (a Batman) on 47th street just before prices exploded. It was during the time when supply in ADs dried up, but the grey market prices were just starting to increase.

The watch was brand new....fully stickered, box, papers, everything. I trusted the seller and his online reputation was positive.

Even so, I wanted true verification. So here is what I did: I took an afternoon off of work and went to the Rolex USA HQ building on 5th Ave with the watch and warranty card. They will do an insurance appraisal (free with card, small fee without), on company letter head. As part of that process, they take the watch for about two hours and have a watchmaker inspect and verify the watch. Once complete, they provide documentation of what the watch is worth (they will only do retail MSRP). The documentation includes Rolex letterhead, Rolex watermark, and serial number of the watch.

Here is the important part --> they will not provide this if the watch is counterfeit OR if it has more than two non-Rolex parts in the movement. So in essence, they do a relatively thorough review of the watch before issuing the insurance appraisal.

Mind you I did not do this for the insurance appraisal....I did it for peace of mind, to have proof that the watch was 100% legitimate, and so that Rolex now had a record of the serial number being tied to my name (yes, they take your driver's license as well). I have no intention of ever selling the watch, so this was very important to me.
Great job giving real information to a first time poster!
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:46 AM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Really nothing to worry from this seller, enjoy it
Old 24 February 2020, 02:57 AM   #10
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Hey Everyone!

Thanks in advance!

The jeweller store who buys 2. hand Rolexes will inspect it better than an AD, because they are always paying money for those pieces...You must sit and wait near the watch during the inspection which is less than 10 minutes and probably free of charge job.

Dont be surprised if they voluntarily offer you to have a look at the dial and movement with a loop, where you will see the mistakeless details...Before going there find pic of your movement online take screenshots, so when you get there you can compare...You can also take a few zoomed photos of your movement for your future records which will be your free authenticity document!

ADs will not give you any authenticity document...Maybe some could give in the US but in that case it wont be a free service. They will just service an authentic Rolex...But it still does not guarantee the authenticity 100%...
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 03:04 AM   #11
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
A trip to RSCNY is the only proper way. For Peace of mind, you can go to any AD the sells used models and see what they would offer you for the watch. If they make an offer, it's legit.
Old 24 February 2020, 03:12 AM   #12
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Hey Everyone!

Thanks in advance!
No worries about your watch with SDwatches. I have personally bought a YG Sub from Tony and he is one of the best there is. Enjoy the watch and post a pic!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 03:14 AM   #13
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP is in Seattle not near NY RSC
Edit. I see OP looking for something in NY/NJ
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 03:17 AM   #14
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex71168 View Post
Take to an AD and ask for a quote to service. They send it to a RSC and you will find out that way. Put some pics up too lots of knowledge here and can spot things for you.

You will find out a huge quote for service when you just send a watch that you have no idea about the condition of the movement....The watch could be authentic but the movement could have been fixed as cheap as possible after a water damage...Or the whole movement could have been replaced with still authentic but very old trashed movement...

If you have no idea whats inside better to get the case back opened, take zoomed pictures when the rotor is in different positions...And know what you have then go to RSC for an overhaul service. Which I believe is safer..

Just in case watch is fake and needs to be returned...The RSC will charge your for inspection...And, if gets a damage at RSC it will also be hard to return it under buyers protection (if there is any)...
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 04:19 AM   #15
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

Thanks in advance!
I purchased prior to joining the forum and there was a steep learning curve in regards to what I'd purchased and fortunately there wasn't anything devastating, as mention before Tony G is a reputable seller and I would advise contacting him if you have any concerns, post some pictures and await some feed back.
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:09 AM   #16
MarineGirl22
"TRF" Member

Thank you!!

Thanks everyone! I do trust the seller as I read multiple reviews of hi
before purchasing. This is really just for my own peace of mind and then an appraisal for insurance. Really appreciate all of the great information!! Attached some pics of the new piece for my collection 😊
MarineGirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:57 AM   #17
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nice DD, love the diamond dial
Mine is a bit older
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DDtotal.JPG (240.6 KB, 554 views)
Old 24 February 2020, 06:03 AM   #18
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
before purchasing. This is really just for my own peace of mind and then an appraisal for insurance. Really appreciate all of the great information!! Attached some pics of the new piece for my collection 😊
Nice and enjoy.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 06:08 AM   #19
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Congratulations!! Beautiful watch. Nicely done!
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 06:14 AM   #20
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Nice! Call around and find a Rolex AD that has an in house jewelry appraiser. The AD near me happened to have one as I needed my YG Sub from Tony appraised in order to insure it through my insurance. Cost me $100 but this can vary from place to place.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:00 PM   #21
MarineGirl22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Nice DD, love the diamond dial
Mine is a bit older
Beautiful watch!! I am LOVING the day date since I got it
Old 24 February 2020, 10:43 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
This is really just for my own peace of mind and then an appraisal for insurance.
Any Rolex AD should be able to provide you with an appraisal for their fee.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:46 PM   #23
MarineGirl22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP is in Seattle not near NY RSC
Edit. I see OP looking for something in NY/NJ
Live in Seattle, work in New Jersey:
Old 24 February 2020, 11:26 PM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Don't have anything to add, except...wow, what a beauty. Congrats!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 11:35 PM   #25
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Did you purchase the watch as a full set, including the original Rolex warranty paperwork/card?
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:53 AM   #26
MarineGirl22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
Did you purchase the watch as a full set, including the original Rolex warranty paperwork/card?
Yep, it has everything with it
Old 25 February 2020, 12:53 AM   #27
MarineGirl22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Don't have anything to add, except...wow, what a beauty. Congrats!
Thank you...I'm still in awe I have it!
Old 25 February 2020, 12:13 PM   #28
r6tanz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Live in Seattle, work in New Jersey:
Thought my commute from NJ to NYC was bad. Lol
r6tanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 09:54 AM   #29
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Yep, it has everything with it
Sounds good. So, if the serial on the watch matches the Rolex paperwork, and you purchased it from a TS (Trusted Seller) I would be content. Enjoy!
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:24 PM   #30
MarineGirl22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6tanz View Post
Thought my commute from NJ to NYC was bad. Lol

Haha, and before this one was 6.5 years Seattle to New York weekly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk