The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4 December 2019, 05:22 AM   #1
mg Barcelona
Banned

DJ36 owners feedback please and my dilemma.

I love the look and design of the DJ36 fluted (not totally decided on bracelet but we shall move on)
My wrist size is 6.8” so not big by any means, however, every time I try a DJ36 they feel too small for
me to pull the trigger. I am sure I will get used to it, I’ve read several comments where people have said that the smaller size became the new normal after a few days on the wrist.

Did anyone just take a leap of faith hoping they would get used to the smaller size? And how did it work out?
Or is my instinct telling me to just leave this one alone?
Old 4 December 2019, 05:30 AM   #2
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

I dont have a DJ36 but have been wearing a 37mm watch a lot recently that gets a lot of "that is a woman's watch" commentary on the forums. the more I wear it, the more I love that not every guy I see has a small watch. it still feels small but it feels different and that is what I enjoy so much about it. that being said, it took me about 2 days of wrist time before I was super sold on having a small watch to wear. it looks beautiful with nice shirts or sweaters.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:33 AM   #3
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I switch between DD36mm to DJII and once in a while my SUBc. No problems with the size. Each his own, who cares what others say.....

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 4 December 2019, 05:34 AM   #4
Brew
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't buy a watch that I have to "adjust to."
Old 4 December 2019, 05:35 AM   #5
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

36mm DJ is a great size. Go for it.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:35 AM   #6
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterbunny View Post
I dont have a DJ36 but have been wearing a 37mm watch a lot recently that gets a lot of "that is a woman's watch" commentary on the forums. the more I wear it, the more I love that not every guy I see has a small watch. it still feels small but it feels different and that is what I enjoy so much about it. that being said, it took me about 2 days of wrist time before I was super sold on having a small watch to wear. it looks beautiful with nice shirts or sweaters.
thanks, it's that "2 days" comment that is reassuring, real world feedback.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:37 AM   #7
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I wouldn't buy a watch that I have to "adjust to."
fair play, noted.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:37 AM   #8
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I've tried the DJ36 a couple of times. Both times I just could not get over how small it looked. I'm between 6.5-6.75 and I wore a cheap 36mm watch on a NATO for literally a decade. Even when I was shopping for my first Rolex, before I bought my 214270, I tried one of the 36mm OPs and it just looked tiny on my wrist. I don't know what it is, but it just isn't for me.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:38 AM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
It will bug you forever. Go for the DJ41, which only measures 39.5mm, a much better size for your wrist in my opinion.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:38 AM   #10
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardus View Post
I switch between DD36mm to DJII and once in a while my SUBc. No problems with the size. Each his own, who cares what others say.....
not worried about others, more worried about me and my bank account if its got to go after a while.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:43 AM   #11
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
It will bug you forever. Go for the DJ41, which only measures 39.5mm, a much better size for your wrist in my opinion.
you see it comes up again that 39.5 for the DJ41. I've read this a lot and I have tried the DJ41 and it wasn't bad, maybe a tiny bit big but now I'm not sure about anything anymore. Joking aside, if Rolex had just called it the DJ39.5 I would have bought it.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:47 AM   #12
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
I've tried the DJ36 a couple of times. Both times I just could not get over how small it looked. I'm between 6.5-6.75 and I wore a cheap 36mm watch on a NATO for literally a decade. Even when I was shopping for my first Rolex, before I bought my 214270, I tried one of the 36mm OPs and it just looked tiny on my wrist. I don't know what it is, but it just isn't for me.
I hear ya, my daily is a 214270 or 5 digit sub at the moment. I just wonder if I will get used to it and actually come to appreciate it.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:56 AM   #13
Paul7
Banned

6.5" wrist here, I wear an inherited DJ36 with long sleeves for dress/business only, for casual/short sleeve its a 39mm Steinhart diver. 40mm Subs are too big for my wrist.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:01 AM   #14
adamteague
"TRF" Member

I have a 7.25 inch wrist and have a new DJ36. I think it’s the ideal size for any wrist size.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:02 AM   #15
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
6.5" wrist here, I wear an inherited DJ36 with long sleeves for dress/business only, for casual/short sleeve its a 39mm Steinhart diver. 40mm Subs are too big for my wrist.
Paul, you have opened the debate on which watch to wear with long or short sleeves which is part of my morning dilemma and not often if ever discussed (as far as I know) on forums. It deserves a thread of its own.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:05 AM   #16
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
My wrist is 6.75". I wore a 36mm DJ for about 4 years, thought it was perfect and eventually added a 40mm GMT. It was indeed a bit of an adjustment switching to the DJ on occasion but not a big deal in my opinion. Currently my one and only is a DJ41 and I could could not be happier with the fit and look. In the end it's simply a personal choice of what looks best on you.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:06 AM   #17
shapa
"TRF" Member

"every time I try a DJ36 they feel too small for
me to pull the trigger"

You already have your answer. The only thing that matters is how it looks to YOU.
My wrist is 6.5". The DJ36 looked too small to ME. I bought the DJ41 and have zero regrets.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:07 AM   #18
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
36mm DJ is a great size. Go for it.
cheers for the feedback from a Newcastle native. Close to the border, we know how it works up North.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:13 AM   #19
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa View Post
"every time I try a DJ36 they feel too small for
me to pull the trigger"

You already have your answer. The only thing that matters is how it looks to YOU.
My wrist is 6.5". The DJ36 looked too small to ME. I bought the DJ41 and have zero regrets.
I am aware or the "what do you like" how it looks on YOU feedback. I was looking for real world opinion on how peoples tastes change. Last year I was OK with ceramic Submariners. This year I would not wear one.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:13 AM   #20
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamteague View Post
I have a 7.25 inch wrist and have a new DJ36. I think it’s the ideal size for any wrist size.
True. I have a 8 1/4" wrist and the 36mm Looks great to me . I have a friend with an even larger wrist and he sports a 36mm TT Datejust just fine.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:16 AM   #21
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
My wrist is 6.75". I wore a 36mm DJ for about 4 years, thought it was perfect and eventually added a 40mm GMT. It was indeed a bit of an adjustment switching to the DJ on occasion but not a big deal in my opinion. Currently my one and only is a DJ41 and I could could not be happier with the fit and look. In the end it's simply a personal choice of what looks best on you.
Thanks, important feedback as you have had both.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:20 AM   #22
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg Barcelona View Post
My wrist size is 6.8” so not big by any means, however, every time I try a DJ36 they feel too small for me to pull the trigger.
As it often happens, you answered your own question. You are going to get lots of replies to get this or that. However, listen to your own instincts.

Get a DJ41.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:24 AM   #23
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I've tried a couple of DJ41s, both smooth bezel with jubilee. I thought both looked great and I couldn't tell any discernible difference between them and my 214270. I think the DJ41 has a slightly wider bezel than the Explorer which makes the dial sizes very similar.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:25 AM   #24
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTOSUB View Post
As it often happens, you answered your own question. You are going to get lots of replies to get this or that. However, listen to your own instincts.

Get a DJ41.
you've gone full Yoda but I think you have a point. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:26 AM   #25
Rabidmonk0
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
I have a 6.75" wrist and 3 DJ36s. I also have multiple 40mm Rolexes and a 42mm Pelagos. I enjoy them all and will say sometimes it is nice to go with a smaller, slimmer watch.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:29 AM   #26
lol2552
Banned

Watch: 1675
Love the size of the 36mm. A 41.5mm Omega Aqua Terra 8500 and a 44mm Breitling Colt chronograph are the largest pieces I have, but I always return to comfortable 36mm of my datejust. Very manageable and elegant at the size.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:31 AM   #27
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
I've tried a couple of DJ41s, both smooth bezel with jubilee. I thought both looked great and I couldn't tell any discernible difference between them and my 214270. I think the DJ41 has a slightly wider bezel than the Explorer which makes the dial sizes very similar.
hmmm, probably going to try the 41 again just to make sure on this. It's always a TT in stock so kind of distorts how I see the watch in the AD. First world problems and all that.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:42 AM   #28
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Just this past weekend I bought a new DJ36 (126200) and really love it. My wrist is right at 7" and I find the 36mm case size to be a perfect fit.

If you think the 36mm is too small for your wrist, and it will bother you, I'd suggest passing and getting what you want. As someone said above, don't buy a watch that you're hoping you will "get used to" over time. But what you love. But if you truly love a DJ36 and are wondering if the size will work, I can wholeheartedly say I think a 36mm watch looks right at home on your size wrist. And it's light and very comfortable as well.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:47 AM   #29
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
Just this past weekend I bought a new DJ36 (126200) and really love it. My wrist is right at 7" and I find the 36mm case size to be a perfect fit.

If you think the 36mm is too small for your wrist, and it will bother you, I'd suggest passing and getting what you want. As someone said above, don't buy a watch that you're hoping you will "get used to" over time. But what you love. But if you truly love a DJ36 and are wondering if the size will work, I can wholeheartedly say I think a 36mm watch looks right at home on your size wrist. And it's light and very comfortable as well.
thanks for the feedback. I'm torn and shall think and keep trying the sizes. BTW I do love Texas.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:53 AM   #30
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
every time I try a DJ36 they feel too small for me to pull the trigger
Not sure what the dilemma is here. You answered your own question. Do you think you opinion on it being too small is suddenly going to change on the third, fourth, fifth time you try a DJ36 on??? Of course it isn't. Buy a DJ41 and you won't have to worry about it
Closed Thread