The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4 December 2019, 07:14 PM   #61
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
The DJ36 is void of all the fashion nonsense that now plagues the market. My DJ36 jubilee is an absolutely perfect watch for my 7+in wrist. It can do anything that my Sub can do, but doesn't attract any attention, except from the occasional well informed purest.
Old 4 December 2019, 07:54 PM   #62
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Get the 36 so you can enjoy the bracelet when you look down to see the time. These huge watches on too small of wrists, all you view is the watch case. What happen to enjoying the bracelet when checking the time ?
Old 4 December 2019, 09:54 PM   #63
flametop
"TRF" Member

Honestly i think it looks good on almost every wrist. But it depends what you`re looking for. Its smaller than a sub, and way more comfortable. I can wear it daily without feeling the need to take it off. Thats not the case with bigger watches (for me). I also prefer the look over the big watches. Just more elegant and gentleman like.
Old 4 December 2019, 10:00 PM   #64
CountryRoads
"TRF" Member

If you are planning on wearing it with short sleeves, I think it will continue to bug you. If you have other watches you will wear casual, then I think it will work fine with long sleeves and sweaters. Otherwise, I would get the 41.
Old 4 December 2019, 10:02 PM   #65
CountryRoads
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
Cheers. We've always got room for more

You'll have to forgive the poor indoor lighting (and the carpet of my office ), but I just took a picture of the 126200 on my wrist, which again is right at 7". I tried to take the pic from a bit of a distance, since close-up wrist shots can be deceiving. I don't think it looks too small, I think it looks (and feels) right at home. Hope this helps.

Perfection... love the blue
Old 4 December 2019, 10:04 PM   #66
flametop
"TRF" Member

Dont forget that many people posting here are from the us, and they generally tend to have a more casual style (and thus prefer bigger watches) than europeans, especially spanish (im including you as catalan ;)) and italian. So its perfectly fine to wear a dj36, if youre not super casually dressed most of the time.
Old 4 December 2019, 11:49 PM   #67
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flametop View Post
Dont forget that many people posting here are from the us, and they generally tend to have a more casual style (and thus prefer bigger watches) than europeans, especially spanish (im including you as catalan ;)) and italian. So its perfectly fine to wear a dj36, if youre not super casually dressed most of the time.
I understand what you are saying. I'm English but have lived in Japan, France and Spain for the past 20 years so I see where you are coming from. Outside of August I am quite smartly dressed most of the time.
Old 5 December 2019, 12:02 AM   #68
dane75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16753
You've got the right approach, OP. Patience and investigation until you've firmed up what works for you. I find when I'm torn on something, if I just keep reviewing and looking at the options, letting it marinate, eventually the right choice for me will rise to the top. Half the fun is in the deciding! Although my personal opinion shouldn't change your calculus, I think the smaller size would look great.
Old 5 December 2019, 12:09 AM   #69
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

In the US people love to wear sports shoes, big caps and other sports wear like tracksuits and baggy shorts with bigger more showy watches and other jewellery. European fashion is often more reserved and traditionally smart - leather shoes, classic fitted jeans or trousers and collared shirts. The steel DJ36 matches the later style. People in the US also seem to get hung up on minor variations in wrist size and their previous oversized watches also influence them into having a mental block on more moderate sized cases.
Old 5 December 2019, 02:06 AM   #70
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I go from a 36DJ to a 41 Omega among others in rotation, The DJ36 seems small for a day or so into rotation, but then it does not, if that makes sense. The 36 in DJ and DD are classic sizes, I see no problem unless you have arms like Popeye
Old 5 December 2019, 03:13 AM   #71
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Took a quick shot driving today and figured I'd post here. This is a 36mm DJ on my ~7'' wrist. And yeah I know I have low tire pressure I'm on it lol

Old 5 December 2019, 04:50 AM   #72
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
Took a quick shot driving today and figured I'd post here. This is a 36mm DJ on my ~7'' wrist. And yeah I know I have low tire pressure I'm on it lol

the size looks just fine, really like the blue and great shot by the way. Don't worry about tyre pressure unless you can feel it through the steering, the monitors are like drama queens. I design vehicle electrics.
Old 5 December 2019, 05:01 AM   #73
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg Barcelona View Post
I love the look and design of the DJ36 fluted (not totally decided on bracelet but we shall move on)
My wrist size is 6.8” so not big by any means, however, every time I try a DJ36 they feel too small for
me to pull the trigger. I am sure I will get used to it, I’ve read several comments where people have said that the smaller size became the new normal after a few days on the wrist.

Did anyone just take a leap of faith hoping they would get used to the smaller size? And how did it work out?
Or is my instinct telling me to just leave this one alone?
I've never taken a leap of faith that a watch I considered too small on trying on would become the new normal even when I really wanted to and was prepared to purchase the given watch right then and there. Just too risky a gambit imo. So I would trust your instinct to leave this one alone.
Old 5 December 2019, 05:48 AM   #74
Reachpardeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love the look and design of the DJ36 fluted (not totally decided on bracelet but we shall move on)
My wrist size is 6.8” so not big by any means, however, every time I try a DJ36 they feel too small for
me to pull the trigger. I am sure I will get used to it, I’ve read several comments where people have said that the smaller size became the new normal after a few days on the wrist.

Did anyone just take a leap of faith hoping they would get used to the smaller size? And how did it work out?
Or is my instinct telling me to just leave this one alone?
I went through the same decision few weeks back. I have 6.8 inch wrist and purchased a DJ 36 fluted. It looked small on my wrist ( my other watch is speedmaster racing 40 mm) but not feminine.
Kept it for a weeks or so and eventually sold it at cost as I wasn’t fully content with the watch.
Then after couple of days purchased this DJ41 Wimbledon and it looked perfect ( to me ) , pretty happy with my decision even though I took the long road
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 87840AFA-13B7-44B5-A832-17901006A583.jpeg (291.5 KB, 209 views)
Old 5 December 2019, 05:53 AM   #75
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachpardeep View Post
I went through the same decision few weeks back. I have 6.8 inch wrist and purchased a DJ 36 fluted. It looked small on my wrist ( my other watch is speedmaster racing 40 mm) but not feminine.
Kept it for a weeks or so and eventually sold it at cost as I wasn’t fully content with the watch.
Then after couple of days purchased this DJ41 Wimbledon and it looked perfect ( to me ) , pretty happy with my decision even though I took the long road
valuable feedback, thanks for taking the time to tell your story.
Old 5 December 2019, 05:53 AM   #76
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachpardeep View Post
and by the way the watch look great.
Old 5 December 2019, 06:24 AM   #77
08bonnie
"TRF" Member

36DJ on my 7.5" wrist. Could have chosen the 41 but thought it looked comical for this style of watch. The 36 is no drama and no stress. A buddy with a much larger wrist tried it on and I thought it looked great on him too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2019, 07:10 AM   #78
Reachpardeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
valuable feedback, thanks for taking the time to tell your story.
Quote:
and by the way the watch look great.
Glad I could help, thanks !!
Old 5 December 2019, 07:30 AM   #79
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08bonnie View Post
36DJ on my 7.5" wrist. Could have chosen the 41 but thought it looked comical for this style of watch. The 36 is no drama and no stress. A buddy with a much larger wrist tried it on and I thought it looked great on him too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
this combo is current favourite although I do alternate having tried jubilees and seeing how comfortable they are. Currently, today If I am spending my money this is the one I would choose.
Old 5 December 2019, 07:35 AM   #80
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I'm sorry I can't help you out. The 36 is a great size and was the standard for decades.

Yes 50mm+ is now fashionable but you need to do what you are comfortable with. I personally love the 40mm watches and think that is the perfect size.

I owned a DD36 for a few years but eventually sold it and later acquired a DD40 and I could not be happier.

There are no wrong decisions here. The 36 will fit you fine. BUT if you feel it may be too small then jump to 40 and never look back.
Old 5 December 2019, 07:53 AM   #81
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm sorry I can't help you out. The 36 is a great size and was the standard for decades.

Yes 50mm+ is now fashionable but you need to do what you are comfortable with. I personally love the 40mm watches and think that is the perfect size.

I owned a DD36 for a few years but eventually sold it and later acquired a DD40 and I could not be happier.

There are no wrong decisions here. The 36 will fit you fine. BUT if you feel it may be too small then jump to 40 and never look back.
Thanks Tony, I'm taking in all feedback at the moment from both 36mm people and 41mm people in the Datejusts. I have to say that I have not seen any of them look bad, they all look great. The DD40 people are a lucky bunch. I am confortable with 39mm or 5 digit 40mm, hence the Sub 5 digit, explorer 1 39 and explorer 2 5 digit. I sold my speedmaster as it was too big for my liking.
Old 5 December 2019, 10:12 AM   #82
skyblue12
"TRF" Member

I'd say go 36. I had a 41 and felt it was just to big for me even though l have a 116613 so l sold it and got a 36.
The 36 is the jubilee.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2019, 11:15 AM   #83
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I have 6.25 inch wrist, and I love the DJ36. I think it looks very well proportioned, for a "dress watch", and it's very comfortable. My other watch is a 40mm GMT-II, and it feels a bit big when I switch back, but after a few hours feels "normal" again. Likewise when I go from GMT to DJ, just takes a few hours to adjust.

For my wrist size and taste, I feel any watch bigger than 40mm looks silly. Looks like a little kid wearing his daddy's watch, playing "dress up", lol. I know most people won't agree with this, but I guess they just don't have as good a sense of taste as I do ;-).

-Dan

Edited to add: the only person that has said anything disparaging about my DJ36 was an AD, who asked with a sneer why I didn't get the larger size. He happened to be wearing a 41mm DJ on his very skinny wrist, and I had a hard time not saying "because I didn't want to look ridiculous like you"!
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
Old 5 December 2019, 12:05 PM   #84
Neo_Anderson302
"TRF" Member

tailored pants vs loose fit. you pick
Old 5 December 2019, 12:30 PM   #85
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I think it is a lot of money to take a risk.
Perhaps step back and consider other models.
I have owned the DJ41 and also thought it wore small
Now have the 16570 Expl II and 40mm is perfect.
Look at other styles.
Good luck.
Old 6 December 2019, 07:35 AM   #86
adrianchavez
"TRF" Member

I was able to get a great deal on a DSSD but thought it was too big for my wrist. And was too heavy . Ididn’t think I’d ever get used to it. 3 weeks later I love it. “It’s grown on me “is an understatement !!!
Old 6 December 2019, 07:39 AM   #87
nnigel46
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me do my thing
Go big or go home
Old 6 December 2019, 07:54 AM   #88
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

God these latest 36mm DJ's look great. Can't go wrong with them as far as I'm concerned.
Old 6 December 2019, 09:30 AM   #89
chillwill120
"TRF" Member

People make excuses and say 36mm datejusts wear large etc., but at the end of the day, it is a small watch. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think the 36mm size is very elegant, classy and comfortable. I wear a 36mm datejust at work and it goes great with business casual and/or suits, plus it doesn't feel heavy wearing it all day. However, I used to have a 36mm Explorer. For a sports watch which one wears with short sleeves, the size felt too small. I prefer 40 to 44 for sporty/casual.
Old 6 December 2019, 09:55 AM   #90
Bybybmw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-2
My OP 34 looks just right to me when I wear it. Don't forget that years ago a 36mm was considered man sized and watches I bought then didn't look particularly small to anybody, much less me.
Closed Thread