The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2020, 08:29 AM   #31
ByronB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
This watch in person is drop dead gorgeous. There isn’t bezel that looks as good as that on a watch. The old style hands are much better. Why Rolex put the mercedes hands on it, it was a bad move in my opinion.

I would have to agree that watch really pops with the blue rubber band matching the blue bezel and blue hands. I would not change one thing on that watch because the blues all tie in together so well. That goes in the opposite direction of what I was trying to accomplish with mine. The rubber strap makes it a more casual piece and embraces the blue to the max, whereas I was looking to dress mine up a bit and reduce the amount of blue.

Without the blue band, I personally prefer the white gold Mercedes hands that I had gotten so used to on my previous 40mm YM. I find them easier to tell time at a quick glance, especially at night because there is more luminescence on the Mercedes hands, so the updated 2017+ YM II was definitely the way to go for me.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #32
Flyingz06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Another exclusive example........the "Blue Hands" version....discontinued 2016.....a more and more searched after version........

What band is that? Looks good
Flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:39 AM   #33
bazin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingz06 View Post
What band is that? Looks good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince KSA View Post
Hi is that your watch, and if you don't mind me asking what is the exact make of this strap? As it really pops!

Reply:
Everest strap 21 mm, unfortunately not applicable for the original Rolex clasp.......for which they offer only the 20 mm strap......which possibly could also sufficiently fit.......
bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:47 AM   #34
Heu
"TRF" Member

Nice!
Heu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:20 PM   #35
TheGuvna
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
Perform a search on this forum for Yacht Master II and I bet that you will be surprised at many of the comments. A few have even stooped so low as to resort to grade-level name calling of this watch, which I believe should be beneath the members of this forum.
Thats very interesting, maybe people dislike it because it isn't as classic as other Rolex watches.

Either way I would give a testie for one.
Old 25 January 2020, 12:23 PM   #36
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Congrats
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:39 AM   #37
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Very cool! I love the YM !!, if it were smaller I would have bought one,, it would look way to big on my 6.25 inch wrist...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:52 AM   #38
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuvna View Post
Thats very interesting, maybe people dislike it because it isn't as classic as other Rolex watches.
Thats nuts, it has the very same DNA of any other rolex sports model.... It's just that the design elements have been reinterpreted.
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:17 AM   #39
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Well done!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 06:25 AM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like what you have done there, I like the blue against the RG so the TT is one I like.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:41 PM   #41
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everest strap 21 mm, unfortunately not applicable for the original Rolex clasp.......for which they offer only the 20 mm strap......which possibly could also sufficiently fit.......
Hi. I can't see a strap for YMII on the Everest site but I found another page (out of stock) that shows YMII with Everest 'EH10' strap. The EH10 is listed on Everest's site as being for the Sea Dweller Deepsea 116660 which is 21mm lug width so is a match. Can you remember is EH10 what you fitted?

I prefer the buckle look on a rubber strap and would be a simpler swap too.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:35 PM   #42
bazin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Hi. I can't see a strap for YMII on the Everest site but I found another page (out of stock) that shows YMII with Everest 'EH10' strap. The EH10 is listed on Everest's site as being for the Sea Dweller Deepsea 116660 which is 21mm lug width so is a match. Can you remember is EH10 what you fitted?

I prefer the buckle look on a rubber strap and would be a simpler swap too.
Sorry.....can't remember........
bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:50 PM   #43
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry.....can't remember........
No worries, thanks for reply
Old 26 January 2020, 10:22 PM   #44
drrd
"TRF" Member

Update, found it on Watchstraps ie

It seems to be specific for the YMII and is only available in blue. Looks like the 'EH10' for DSSD 116660 may not be a match even though it's 21mm.

Can't post a link but anyone interested just G00gle the above and search on the site for Yacht Master II.
Old 26 January 2020, 10:57 PM   #45
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Not original...looks like a fake...sorry..!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:20 PM   #46
ByronB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMercedes View Post
Not original...looks like a fake...sorry..!
For clarification, which watch are you referring to? I assume that you are referring to the watch that is not original with the aftermarket blue rubber strap, not my watch which this thread was created for that has only 100% original Rolex parts.
Old 27 January 2020, 03:05 AM   #47
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For clarification, which watch are you referring to? I assume that you are referring to the watch that is not original with the aftermarket blue rubber strap, not my watch which this thread was created for that has only 100% original Rolex parts.
It doesn't matter that they are only original Rolex parts. The watch you assembled does not exist.

If I saw this in real life, I would think it was a fake.
Old 27 January 2020, 04:58 AM   #48
ByronB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMercedes View Post
It doesn't matter that they are only original Rolex parts. The watch you assembled does not exist.

If I saw this in real life, I would think it was a fake.
It most certainly does matter, at least to many Rolex purists, if any changes that are made to a Rolex are with 100% genuine Rolex parts. People have been swapping Rolex bezels for many decades, often not with genuine Rolex parts and sometimes not with bezels from the same watch model. Rolex used this bezel on this exact same model watch in white gold. Should I change the face out for the face that came in the white gold model just to get rid of the blue ring to fool someone like you into thinking that it's a white gold watch? No, I would never do that because I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking my watch is white gold. I made a personal modification because I like the look of this bezel better, that's all. You are correct in that it did not exist but it most certainly does exist now! A fellow forum member even contacted me about the details of how I did it because he felt the same way as I did about the blue bezel and that's not purchased this watch because of it. Now that he saw mine he wants to buy one and do the same thing that I did.

Seeing a tiny picture of a watch on the internet can certainly be misleading, but if you did see this watch in person I honestly don't think that you would think it's a fake simply because I have yet to see any fake that can come anywhere close to replicating the look of the sandblasted and highly polished Platinum bezel of a Yacht-Master or Yacht-Master II. Take a look at some of the fakes with the same bezel and you will see exactly what I mean. You are entitled to your own opinion, but in this case, it would be incorrect.
Old 27 January 2020, 05:02 AM   #49
LawMan
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t matter what other people say about your watch. You like it and gives you pleasure so enjoy it and ignore the haters .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 06:00 AM   #50
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Nice! Love the custom aspect to this.

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 06:04 AM   #51
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Looks great!
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 06:20 AM   #52
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It most certainly does matter, at least to many Rolex purists, if any changes that are made to a Rolex are with 100% genuine Rolex parts. People have been swapping Rolex bezels for many decades, often not with genuine Rolex parts and sometimes not with bezels from the same watch model. Rolex used this bezel on this exact same model watch in white gold. Should I change the face out for the face that came in the white gold model just to get rid of the blue ring to fool someone like you into thinking that it's a white gold watch? No, I would never do that because I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking my watch is white gold. I made a personal modification because I like the look of this bezel better, that's all. You are correct in that it did not exist but it most certainly does exist now! A fellow forum member even contacted me about the details of how I did it because he felt the same way as I did about the blue bezel and that's not purchased this watch because of it. Now that he saw mine he wants to buy one and do the same thing that I did.

Seeing a tiny picture of a watch on the internet can certainly be misleading, but if you did see this watch in person I honestly don't think that you would think it's a fake simply because I have yet to see any fake that can come anywhere close to replicating the look of the sandblasted and highly polished Platinum bezel of a Yacht-Master or Yacht-Master II. Take a look at some of the fakes with the same bezel and you will see exactly what I mean. You are entitled to your own opinion, but in this case, it would be incorrect.

I didn't say the watch didn't look good. She looks great!! But I'm just an advocate of the original. I would never change bracelets either. Just my 2 Cents!!
Old 27 January 2020, 06:31 PM   #53
drrd
"TRF" Member

'Fake' is not quite the word I would use, especially as the component parts are all genuine Rolex. My issue is that it looks too similar to a model two or three rungs up the ladder.

The other-brand strap look is something I'm still in two minds about. I like the idea of saving the PCL bracelet look for special occasions and a rubber strap for every day but non-stock (and non-Rolex) does grate a bit.
Old 27 January 2020, 08:08 PM   #54
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay fellow TRF members, I thought that some of you might appreciate a pic of my new "personalized" 116680. I finally have what is essentially the watch that I have been wanting since the introduction of the Yacht-Master II back in 2010. I fell in love with the white gold version upon first sight. The problem for me was I knew that besides the prohibitively high price of entry, gold watches do not tend to hold up as well to daily use as well as stainless watches in my experience because I had stretched out several two-tone jubilee and oyster bracelets in the late 80's and 90's. When the stainless version came out a few years later, I was excited initially, but the fact is I just never warmed up to the bright blue ceramic bezel. I personally was not a big fan of the blue hands either. When the 2017 refresh came out, I took a second look. I certainly liked it more, but I still felt that if it weren't for that bright blue bezel I would probably have to have that watch.

The last time I had fallen in love with a watch was back in '99 when the original Yacht-Master 16622 came out, and I purchased my first one in 2000. That model has been my daily ever since. I have always been enamored with the look of the sandblasted/polished Platinum bezel. Here we are 20 years later, and I finally upgraded to a watch that fits my 8+ inch wrist much better than the 40mm case, yet still has a similar overall look and the durability of my trusty 16622. I sourced a Platinum bezel from a 116689 and exchanged it with the blue ceramic bezel that came on my new 116680. Voila! I am so excited about the look of this watch!

For what it's worth, I realize that YM II's are not one of the favorites of the majority of the Rolex community. I have no problem with that. To each his own, and I am the only one that really needs to like it. I do feel that one of the most common complaints of the bezel shouting "YACHT-MASTER II" has now been at least partially addressed on this 116680 because in my opinion the bezels on the precious metal versions seem not quite as "loud" as the steel version with the blue ceramic bezel due to the characters being basically the same color as the background. I also am one of the minority in that I find the countdown timer useful for simple daily chores.

I am sure that this pic will not serve to change the mind of any of the haters of this watch, but maybe a few folks will respect the personal touch that I chose to give to mine. It sure works for me!
I'm damn happy for you and appreciate your work. It's also nice to see someone with a big wrist finding a watch in the Rolex line-up that really sings to them. And yes, there are tons of haters of this watch but I've always been a fan. Then of course you have those suggesting it's fake or have a contention that it's somehow misleading as the WG version is a "couple of rungs up the ladder."

Your property and your right to do what you want obviously. It's good to know there's some people so astute that they'd immediately notice the blue ring from a few feet away on a moving limb and the platinum bezel, and immediately realize that something doesn't add up. Clearly the YM II has more diehard aficionados than ever. More than that, no one is trying to confuse the passing Rolex fan into thinking that their YM II is the wg vs. the ss and your intentions (which is all you can go by) were made clear. Kind of pathetic of people to foist mean spirited illogic on someone whose been hunting for a watch like this for some 20 years. Cheers Byron and congratulations.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 10:06 PM   #55
mttb
"TRF" Member

Well done, that’s a prettier version than the original

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 10:33 PM   #56
ByronB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
I'm damn happy for you and appreciate your work. It's also nice to see someone with a big wrist finding a watch in the Rolex line-up that really sings to them. And yes, there are tons of haters of this watch but I've always been a fan. Then of course you have those suggesting it's fake or have a contention that it's somehow misleading as the WG version is a "couple of rungs up the ladder."

Your property and your right to do what you want obviously. It's good to know there's some people so astute that they'd immediately notice the blue ring from a few feet away on a moving limb and the platinum bezel, and immediately realize that something doesn't add up. Clearly the YM II has more diehard aficionados than ever. More than that, no one is trying to confuse the passing Rolex fan into thinking that their YM II is the wg vs. the ss and your intentions (which is all you can go by) were made clear. Kind of pathetic of people to foist mean spirited illogic on someone whose been hunting for a watch like this for some 20 years. Cheers Byron and congratulations.
You, kind Sir, are a true gentleman! You clearly have a full and clear understanding, and you were kind enough to share it here. Thank you for that. Well written.