The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 November 2014, 08:43 AM   #31
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghell34 View Post
This it true. The debate among fans of each particular fan has its defenders.

There was a longstanding belief that Dave Scott wore a Waltham Chronograph on the surface of the moon during his EVA when his Speedmaster malfunctioned.

Recently an avid space collector, and friend of Dave Scott, revealed the actual watch that Scott wore on the moon upending convention wisdom.

Here is the watch worn by Scott on his Apollo 15 EVA.

Also, here is the link to the conversation regarding the watch by the collector and how the watch came to light.

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Foru...ML/001199.html

For me, you can't for wrong with either.

I have a 1987 AG7 SPACE PEN by Fisher with a pressurized refill that is supposed to write on every surface, in water and of course in vacuum.

From the net ----> Chrome Plated Astronaut Space Pen. This is the original Fisher Space Pen that was used on the Apollo 7 space mission in 1968 after 2 years of testing by NASA and has been used on all manned space flights since then.
The design and construction of this pen has not changed in 36 years. The pen you buy today is exactly the same as the one taken to the moon in 1969. It is a heavy pen and the weight rests reassuringly in your hand as you write. The AG7 is made from solid brass with an extremely hard Chrome plating. It has a very positive and substantial feeling click mechanism. You press down on the top to extend the refill and press the side button to retract the refill. It's special design assures you that you'll always retract the point before you slide it in your pocket. It's constructed of all brass and steel components of the highest quality and is made in the USA.
All Astronaut Pens are attractively packaged in heavy duty gift boxes with flock lining and come with a pamphlet describing the history of the Fisher Space Pen.

Used on all NASA Apollo and Shuttle missions, ISS International Space Station, Russian Soyuz and MIR space flights, French ARIANE Space Program, Everest North Face Ski Expedition.

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2014, 09:30 AM   #32
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
cool thread. a lot of great info i did not know.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2014, 09:49 AM   #33
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Scott Carpenter used to wear a Bulova Accutron Astronaut.

First pics from net.
Last pics Kibi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scott Carpenter and Bulova.jpg (44.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Bulova.jpg (29.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Match II.jpg (231.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Bulova Accutron Kibi.jpg (63.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg BA Kibi II.jpg (66.0 KB, 95 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2014, 08:49 PM   #34
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
I have a 1987 AG7 SPACE PEN by Fisher with a pressurized refill that is supposed to write on every surface, in water and of course in vacuum.

From the net ----> Chrome Plated Astronaut Space Pen. This is the original Fisher Space Pen that was used on the Apollo 7 space mission in 1968 after 2 years of testing by NASA and has been used on all manned space flights since then.
The design and construction of this pen has not changed in 36 years. The pen you buy today is exactly the same as the one taken to the moon in 1969. It is a heavy pen and the weight rests reassuringly in your hand as you write. The AG7 is made from solid brass with an extremely hard Chrome plating. It has a very positive and substantial feeling click mechanism. You press down on the top to extend the refill and press the side button to retract the refill. It's special design assures you that you'll always retract the point before you slide it in your pocket. It's constructed of all brass and steel components of the highest quality and is made in the USA.
All Astronaut Pens are attractively packaged in heavy duty gift boxes with flock lining and come with a pamphlet describing the history of the Fisher Space Pen.

Used on all NASA Apollo and Shuttle missions, ISS International Space Station, Russian Soyuz and MIR space flights, French ARIANE Space Program, Everest North Face Ski Expedition.
This was one of the first things I received when my Dad went the first to to the USA
Must have been around 1975
Still got it !
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2014, 10:38 PM   #35
flyinghell34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post

What you see in my picture are not pens but the Garland p-35 mechanical pencil that was used starting with Apollo 11 into the shuttle era. The one you see in the image with the gold cord Velcro is a shuttle flown pencil form around early 2000.

The pen are very nice as well. I guess all us space geeks have one or two in our collections.

flyinghell34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2014, 11:38 PM   #36
armypilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1980 Rolex 16750
Love the Garland 35-P, I have two of them. Also have the Fisher AG-7, have used them for years. As a side note NASA began using an upgraded version of the AG-7 during the shuttle missions, this is the Fisher CH-4. Concerning the whole Speedmaster/Rolex on the moon debate, some astronauts during the moon missions did wear there own personal watches like Swigert wearing his GMT-Master but by regulation if he had conducted an EVA he still would have been required to wear his NASA issued Speedmaster Professional on the long Velcro strap on the outside of his pressure suit. Trials were conducted in 1964 and again in 1978 after some manufacturers protested and again the Speedmaster Professional won the competition, Since the moon missions and even to this day with ISS, the Omega Speedmaster Professional is still the only watch authorized by NASA for all EVA's. While inside the vehicle they can wear whatever they want, many wear their NASA issued Omega Speedmaster X-33 but even this Omega is not certified for EVA. I have had both the GMT-Master and Speedmaster for decades and they both have seen me through my whole flying career. Wouldn't part with either one of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrist shot.jpg (87.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Speedmaster Pro with JB Champion Mesh.jpg (87.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 21 November 2014, 11:54 AM   #37
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lauf der Zeit View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight so was just commenting on the prevailing expert opinion that Swigert used his GMT. He's shown suiting up with it pre-launch and as CMP he wouldn't have been scheduled for an EVA on a successful moon mission and may not have even strapped on an issue Speedmaster.

Regardless, for obvious reasons the SMP gets the Moon Watch title.

But most of all wanted to thank you for abbreviating my Forum handle to ILdZ--looks cool and never thought of doing that myself. Thanks.
You're welcome. Attached are photos that pretty well prove that he wore his standard issue (and obligatory) Speedmaster on the mission. And his personal GMT.
Suitup:

Recovery:

Medal of Freedom:
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote