The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 November 2014, 01:14 PM   #1
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
Can inform me on this sub?

Hi all. New to vintage and just looking around and doing some research. Saw this sub on eBay and thought these brought way more $$$ then the 9k it's listed at. I know it's a head only and the hands don't look like they are in great shape but to my untrained eyes it looks pretty nice. Is there anything I'm missing or is that a normal price. Not really looking to buy this one more more looking to learn. Thanks!!! Hope this link works http://ebay.to/1vgmNIh
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Something's not right...
Im Lauf der Zeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 01:38 PM   #3
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Oops just re read description and it's refinished dial and aftermarket bezel. Knowing that is that still a good price?
Old 24 November 2014, 02:52 PM   #4
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
id pass
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Nobody.Move
"TRF" Member

Run away...
Nobody.Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 10:44 PM   #6
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Thanks, but like I said I more just want to learn why. I figure the bezel could always be replaced with a sourced genuine one, so is it right that I should stay away from any and all refinished dials? Or is there something else about this watch that would make you run. Thanks
Old 24 November 2014, 11:01 PM   #7
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Not worth the cost.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:05 PM   #8
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelhuntington View Post
Thanks, but like I said I more just want to learn why. I figure the bezel could always be replaced with a sourced genuine one, so is it right that I should stay away from any and all refinished dials? Or is there something else about this watch that would make you run. Thanks
With early vintage sports models there are some examples that bring in big money, but the ones that sell usually have good-great original dials, original bezels and inserts sometimes specific to a certain range in the model run, provenance and good unpolished/lightly polished cases.

These watches get a little crazy as radium was used to luminate the dials back then and often it destroyed the top layer of the dial over years of time. Many people got their dial replaced by Rolex or redone by an independent which makes finding an original dial in good or bad condition like a needle in a haystack.

If you bought that watch for $9k you would NEVER find an original dial in decent shape for it, and the original bezel and insert would likely cost more than the project itself.

To most of us here we find it smarter to buy the best watch in the most original condition for the price range. 9,500 on a franken 5508 that is unlikely to ever be returned to original isn't a very smart watch to buy IMO. However a Meters First 5513 with B&P could be had for the same price which has a much better upside potential down the road. Or any other original Rolex that strikes your fancy.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

nice NATO strap
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2014, 12:05 AM   #10
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
With early vintage sports models there are some examples that bring in big money, but the ones that sell usually have good-great original dials, original bezels and inserts sometimes specific to a certain range in the model run, provenance and good unpolished/lightly polished cases.

These watches get a little crazy as radium was used to luminate the dials back then and often it destroyed the top layer of the dial over years of time. Many people got their dial replaced by Rolex or redone by an independent which makes finding an original dial in good or bad condition like a needle in a haystack.

If you bought that watch for $9k you would NEVER find an original dial in decent shape for it, and the original bezel and insert would likely cost more than the project itself.

To most of us here we find it smarter to buy the best watch in the most original condition for the price range. 9,500 on a franken 5508 that is unlikely to ever be returned to original isn't a very smart watch to buy IMO. However a Meters First 5513 with B&P could be had for the same price which has a much better upside potential down the road. Or any other original Rolex that strikes your fancy.
Great info. Thanks so much!
Old 25 November 2014, 12:39 AM   #11
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
I would pay 5,500 to 6k max for that particular watch. That's all it's worth IMO.. Then the hunt will continue for some time sourcing correct parts, which could take a long time, but have seen dials pop up once in a blue moon on VRF.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2014, 01:06 AM   #12
JerimiahLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Meters 1st
Sumpters is also known for selling refinished dials and often passing them off as genuine until they are called out.

They usually a big selection of vintage often with refinished dials, mismatched parts, etc. Not collector worthy.
JerimiahLee is offline   Reply With Quote