The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old Yesterday, 03:42 AM   #1
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Santos - blue dial. Any regrets?

About to pull the trigger on a Santos, large. Can’t decide on dial. Green is a pass.

Blue grabs my attention, but in reading some posts, seems legibility might not be awesome. I didn’t experience this, but store lighting is a lot different that real world.

Anyone here purchase blue and end up swapping for white? Or end up disappointed by legibility once you got home?

Notes:
Already have BB58 and Pelagos with blue dials. No white dials. Would like to get a Tank at some point (white dial). White dial not having lumed hands bugs me to no end. Fine on a Tank. Seems like a miss on the Santos. Blue dial not having Cartier signature at 7 bums me out a bit.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM   #2
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
It’s nothing wrong to have a lot of blue dials in the collection. I would go with medium size blue dial Santos
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #3
116510lv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agriculture&watches View Post
It’s nothing wrong to have a lot of blue dials in the collection. I would go with medium size blue dial Santos
+1

I think the medium is better - is the blue dial the same as the one with the PVD bezel?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
116510lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #4
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Personally don’t like the polished markers on a sunburst dial. Too shiny for me. The regular white is my choice and have the oem
Green croc strap and oem blue rubber strap for it. Such a strap monster.

Feel the blue dial is more limited for strap
Change ups
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #5
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
The blue is my choice and I’ve been wanting it for years just havent pulled the trigger yet
Old Today, 12:19 AM   #6
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
About to pull the trigger on a Santos, large. Can’t decide on dial. Green is a pass.

Blue grabs my attention, but in reading some posts, seems legibility might not be awesome. I didn’t experience this, but store lighting is a lot different that real world.

Anyone here purchase blue and end up swapping for white? Or end up disappointed by legibility once you got home?

Notes:
Already have BB58 and Pelagos with blue dials. No white dials. Would like to get a Tank at some point (white dial). White dial not having lumed hands bugs me to no end. Fine on a Tank. Seems like a miss on the Santos. Blue dial not having Cartier signature at 7 bums me out a bit.
I've had my steel blue dial Santos for nearly 5 years. I find the legibility to be quite good, other than in maybe some low level lighting, but then the hands have lum to help in those situations. I have no regrets about my choice. The white is nice, but I have and prefer the a silver dials of my Tank Louis and new large steel Tank Americaine. I think the blue dial Santos has a more interesting and more beautiful dial than the traditional white. The white is a classic, but to me the blue is truly spectacular and elevates the watch's beauty.

Wishing you lots of fun and good luck with your decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116510lv View Post

is the blue dial the same as the one with the PVD bezel?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
No, the dials are a bit different. The PVD blue dial has horizontal lines in the center of the dial and the date wheel is white. The blue also doesn't seem as graduated to dark as the steel model. The steel graduated blue dial with a sunray brushed finish dial and the date wheel is blue to match the dial.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:22 AM   #7
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post

Feel the blue dial is more limited for strap
Change ups
Not really, I have the standard blue calf, the blue alligator, the oem black rubber strap, and the oem blue rubber strap, and one can easily do the gray, black or brown alligator which look great with it. I think the only colors I wouldn't do with it are green, red, or orange, but I wouldn't do red or orange even if I had the white dial.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #8
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I found the blue difficult to read.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #9
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
Not really, I have the standard blue calf, the blue alligator, the oem black rubber strap, and the oem blue rubber strap, and one can easily do the gray, black or brown alligator which look great with it. I think the only colors I wouldn't do with it are green, red, or orange, but I wouldn't do red or orange even if I had the white dial.
Personally wouldn’t pair many of your colour choices with the blue dial and shiny markers. The bracelet and navy croc are about as far as I’d go. The sunburst just makes it that little bit more dressy that even the enclosed blue calf you get with it looks strange. IMHO
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote