The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 April 2020, 06:25 AM   #1
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

5168g-010 and 5740/1g grey pricing?

Two particular pieces I have wanted to add to my collection are the 5168g-010 and the 5740/1g, however, with such absurd prices on the secondary market over the last couple of years I have been waiting for a correction. Prior to this last year my collection had only been in the vintage world, however I have started developing a relationship with an AD. Between me and my family we've spent a good amount which I think has put us in good standing. For instance, my father wanted a 5990 and was able to receive it in two months.

With that being said, I don't want to ask for too many "hot" models simultaneously (currently, on the waitlist for the 5726/1a). I am still new to buying from ADs and don't know if there is a certain etiquette to follow. I would prefer to buy from my AD but with prices declining I would also be open to purchasing from a reputable grey for the right price. So my question to you all is where do you think these pieces are currently moving at as well as where they could be trading at in the coming months.
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:32 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the 5740 is very hard to get. Prices may soften, but with no stock available, probably not much in the near term. I do not see PP supplying much product until the whole crisis is over to maintain the product name and value.
Tough on their ADs but supportive of the retail owners of their watches.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:37 AM   #3
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

5168g-010 and 5740/1g grey pricing?

My 2 cents is 5740 will be at retail in no time. There is one listed for 150k range... small pool of buyers just got much smaller post corona

Also I would imagine PP will make a decent amount of 5740 seeing how high the msrp is and massive profit margin for them and ADs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 April 2020, 07:39 AM   #4
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
My 2 cents is 5740 will be at retail in no time. There is one listed for 150k range... small pool of buyers just got much smaller post corona

Also I would imagine PP will make a decent amount of 5740 seeing how high the msrp is and massive profit margin for them and ADs

They are trading as low as $135k to $140k and I saw a brand new one "Naked" for $125k.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:50 AM   #5
zahain
"TRF" Member

what is the retail for the 5740, 120k? if it was in platinum id be a buyer but then tbh i would probably still go for the 5711/112p grey-black dial with ruby bezel
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:17 AM   #6
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
They are trading as low as $135k to $140k and I saw a brand new one "Naked" for $125k.
Where are you seeing these? I only see one on HQmilton and after contacting him he would only be willing to come down to $149k

His response was, "this piece was in the $165,000 range 1.5 months ago. I feel like my price is quite fair". Clearly, these greys are trying to hold steady on their prices. They are in for a rude awakening..
Old 6 April 2020, 08:48 AM   #7
Commonproject
Banned

They really need to add the 5740g clasp to the other nautilus models. Such a needed uprade
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:54 AM   #8
Hermann
"TRF" Member

I think you cannot compare a 5740G with a 5711A.... because the 5740G is now 2 years on the market, the 5711 around 10years.....so there are less pieces on the market...
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:37 AM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
I think you cannot compare a 5740G with a 5711A.... because the 5740G is now 2 years on the market, the 5711 around 10years.....so there are less pieces on the market...
Why not? My AD said last year that they see lower demand (vs supply) for the 5740/1G than for the 5712/1A and a lot lower than for the 5711/1A (in each case demand compared to supply). Demand just peters out at prices north of EUR 50k and even more so above 100k...

I would not be surprised if the 5740/1G dropped to MSRP-20% within the next 2 years. I am not as pessimistic for the 5711/1A but it will not be pretty either.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:49 AM   #10
Hermann
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Why not? My AD said last year that they see lower demand (vs supply) for the 5740/1G than for the 5712/1A and a lot lower than for the 5711/1A (in each case demand compared to supply). Demand just peters out at prices north of EUR 50k and even more so above 100k...

I would not be surprised if the 5740/1G dropped to MSRP-20% within the next 2 years. I am not as pessimistic for the 5711/1A but it will not be pretty either.
The price is the one piece.... but the 5740 is the most beautiful Nautilus in the regular production, and hopefully all speculation watch friends will lose enough money so the watch passion will stay for the real watch friends.

Why in the next 2years ? i think it will happen next month
All a lot speculation what will be in the future, you never know.... maybe we can also buy soon the poor man daytona for 10k :-) there are much more pieces on the market...?
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:21 AM   #11
peter_shore
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
The price is the one piece.... but the 5740 is the most beautiful Nautilus in the regular production, and hopefully all speculation watch friends will lose enough money so the watch passion will stay for the real watch friends.

Why in the next 2years ? i think it will happen next month
All a lot speculation what will be in the future, you never know.... maybe we can also buy soon the poor man daytona for 10k :-) there are much more pieces on the market...?
It is a gorgeous watch but I also thinks it will drop below MSRP very soon.
peter_shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:36 PM   #12
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I'm still waiting for my 5740/1G.

That said, supply is low, because demand is also low.

I honestly don't know anyone who actually wants one. Most of the greys I know who've had one took forever to unload theirs.

(That said, I love the 5740/1G.)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 12:16 AM   #13
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_shore View Post
It is a gorgeous watch but I also thinks it will drop below MSRP very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I'm still waiting for my 5740/1G.

That said, supply is low, because demand is also low.

I honestly don't know anyone who actually wants one. Most of the greys I know who've had one took forever to unload theirs.

(That said, I love the 5740/1G.)
Then maybe I should wait it out and see if I can get from my AD. If I were to be put on the list for one and say demand plummets in the interim and I get the call can I negotiate a discount?

Also, any thoughts on the 5168/g-010?
Old 7 April 2020, 12:43 AM   #14
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

5168's are coming down quite a bit and sitting. Good deals if you really want a white gold aqua. I have enough blue dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 12:51 AM   #15
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
Then maybe I should wait it out and see if I can get from my AD. If I were to be put on the list for one and say demand plummets in the interim and I get the call can I negotiate a discount?

Also, any thoughts on the 5168/g-010?
As you may know, there was a very rare khaki 5167A, then people got the khaki strap for their black 5167A from their AD, Patek shut that route towards a poor man's semi-khaki Aquanaut, and the khaki strap went through the roof on the secondary market. In order to milk those who absolutely have to have a khaki Aquanaut Patek finally launched the khaki 5168G.

In my view both the 5165A and 5167A are the better watches, more practical, less oversized, and they will likely stand the test of time.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 01:32 AM   #16
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Wow you guys are even more bearish than I am on 5740 lol

Old 7 April 2020, 01:33 AM   #17
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
5168's are coming down quite a bit and sitting. Good deals if you really want a white gold aqua. I have enough blue dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good deals for the blue imo, but I prefer the khaki.

Quote:
As you may know, there was a very rare khaki 5167A, then people got the khaki strap for their black 5167A from their AD, Patek shut that route towards a poor man's semi-khaki Aquanaut, and the khaki strap went through the roof on the secondary market. In order to milk those who absolutely have to have a khaki Aquanaut Patek finally launched the khaki 5168G.

In my view both the 5165A and 5167A are the better watches, more practical, less oversized, and they will likely stand the test of time.
I wholly agree with you, and would opt for the 5167a khaki given the size and material; however, I do not know where to source a 5167a khaki nor what they go for. One sold at Sothebys in 2015 for $56k but can not find any other results. I presume most trade hands privately.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions...watches-ge1501
Old 7 April 2020, 02:31 AM   #18
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Having owned a number of Nautilus, I would suggest that bar none the 5740G is the nicest of the lot on the wrist.
The price for sure is a limiting factor on demand but Patek also absolutely limits demand to be much lower that the steel 5711/12. In the case of my AD that is about 1:8 compared to both the 5711 and the 5712. The issue with the number of pieces for sale on the secondary market and prices falling, that is I'm afraid a result of flippers thinking there is always a quick buck to be made and suddenly running scared that they are sitting on a very expensive piece in a falling market. This will be happening with lots of pieces that have been selling above list.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 07:32 AM   #19
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

I agree on the 5740 being the nicest to date

Not to hijack the thread, but in light of not creating a new thread - was wondering if there are any 5740 owners that might point me in the right direction on ease of adding or removing a link?

Given where we now pretty much most if not all ADs are closed and wanted to know if it was difficult to remove a link?
jumpmandk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 03:24 PM   #20
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmandk View Post
I agree on the 5740 being the nicest to date

Not to hijack the thread, but in light of not creating a new thread - was wondering if there are any 5740 owners that might point me in the right direction on ease of adding or removing a link?

Given where we now pretty much most if not all ADs are closed and wanted to know if it was difficult to remove a link?
It wasn't any different sizing the 5740g versus my other Nautilus. As usual all you need is a block, small mallet, and pin to knock the pins out of the bracelet links. I actually think it's easier and less risky than screws... Where you can sometimes slip using a driver.

Only couple things I'd mention.... No need to worry which way you knock the pins out for these bracelets as other brands have pins that's only meant to enter the collar from one direction..... Make sure you keep an eye out after you knock the pin out to watch where the collar slides out... You don't want to lose that obviously when you remove/add links.... Sometimes the collar stays tight to the pin hole so it'd stay... But keep an eye out in case it falls onto the ground etc... Very small and hard to find. Other than that I suggest putting a thin microfiber around the bracelet when you put the bracelet on the block as gold is softer to minimize hairlines etc... And go slow. Nothing to it.

You need a set like this.... I just did a quick Amazon search... Tons of companies make a similar set:

https://smile.amazon.com/EsmartD-Rem...236881&sr=8-10

Have fun.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 06:10 AM   #21
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

Interesting..thanks for all the helpful info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It wasn't any different sizing the 5740g versus my other Nautilus. As usual all you need is a block, small mallet, and pin to knock the pins out of the bracelet links. I actually think it's easier and less risky than screws... Where you can sometimes slip using a driver.

Only couple things I'd mention.... No need to worry which way you knock the pins out for these bracelets as other brands have pins that's only meant to enter the collar from one direction..... Make sure you keep an eye out after you knock the pin out to watch where the collar slides out... You don't want to lose that obviously when you remove/add links.... Sometimes the collar stays tight to the pin hole so it'd stay... But keep an eye out in case it falls onto the ground etc... Very small and hard to find. Other than that I suggest putting a thin microfiber around the bracelet when you put the bracelet on the block as gold is softer to minimize hairlines etc... And go slow. Nothing to it.

You need a set like this.... I just did a quick Amazon search... Tons of companies make a similar set:

https://smile.amazon.com/EsmartD-Rem...236881&sr=8-10

Have fun.
jumpmandk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 11:45 AM   #22
Jason36
"TRF" Member

Bearx

Standing by along with others to confirm your statements about 5740 pricing.

Glad to read your messages but back them up or don’t post.

This is community of collectors with many that own that reference or may want to purchase. It would be instructive to me to understand your source if your going to make those comments.
Jason36 is offline   Reply With Quote