The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 October 2014, 11:52 PM   #1
redfred
"TRF" Member

Crown Guard Question.

I am sure that this has been discussed before but thought I would pick the experts brains.-
Generally speaking when a case has had a little too much polishing it is always the Lower Crown Guard that appears visually thinner, but I have also seen examples of cases that have not been polished where the lower guard appears thinner. This would tend to fit in with a report that I read somewhere that it goes back to when the case blanks are initially cut whereby the upper crown guard is given more material due to the way they are ground. Could be totally wrong but nice to hear an expert opinion.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 12:01 AM   #2
Michael M.
Banned

From my experience crown guards were not always cut perfect from the factory, I have had unpolished examples of Submariners and Sea-Dwellers (in some cases watches that had hardly been worn) where the crown guards were not quite even. On the other hand, I have also had unpolished examples were the crown guards were completely even.

I believe John had a post on TRF about the thickness of crown guards, I'll look for it and post the link.

Michael
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 01:03 AM   #3
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

I've seen this unevenness too, even on 'unpolished' and hardly-worn examples. I saw one very recently, but can't remember where, annoyingly. It was a great photo to illustrate this, and appeared to be unpolished. I'm no expert, but perhaps sometimes the case blank was just cut in a way that the notch/space for the crown was not always cut in the dead-centre of the 'protrusion' for the crown's final position... I doubt it was deliberate, or designed to be that way; more of a 'tool-watch, bit of a hit-and-miss' phenomenon. Maybe!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 01:09 AM   #4
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
I've seen this unevenness too, even on 'unpolished' and hardly-worn examples. I saw one very recently, but can't remember where, annoyingly. It was a great photo to illustrate this, and appeared to be unpolished. I'm no expert, but perhaps sometimes the case blank was just cut in a way that the notch/space for the crown was not always cut in the dead-centre of the 'protrusion' for the crown's final position... I doubt it was deliberate, or designed to be that way; more of a 'tool-watch, bit of a hit-and-miss' phenomenon. Maybe!

Here's one at HQMilton - lovely example, which I reckon has hardly ever been polished, if at all (look at those chamfers and edges all around the case). It looks like it left the factory with unequal CGs to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09843_zpsbc94babc.jpg~original.jpg (67.6 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09842_zps35f57d60.jpg~original.jpg (71.0 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09834_zpsb6fc34b5.jpg~original.jpg (47.2 KB, 569 views)
Old 28 October 2014, 01:12 AM   #5
redfred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I find it puzzling that I have never yet seen the Top Guard thinner than the bottom. I also have a 66 GMT which has never been near a polishing wheel yet the lower crown guard is visually thinner, as you say it must be down to the size/shape of the original blank, maybe back in the day they were not geared up to work to the fine tolerances that they now do.
Old 28 October 2014, 01:15 AM   #6
redfred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's one at HQMilton - lovely example, which I reckon has hardly ever been polished, if at all (look at those chamfers and edges all around the case). It looks like it left the factory with unequal CGs to me.
That is an excellent example, the thinning on that is even more pronounced than on my GMT, and would tend to agree it has had hardly any polish.
Old 28 October 2014, 01:18 AM   #7
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Mine are even, however! (1/1970)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cg...jpg (36.2 KB, 563 views)
Old 28 October 2014, 01:36 AM   #8
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1979 Pepsi GMT
Just a thought (not an expert here by a long shot) - All watches were polished at some point (by Rolex originally, that is), so I'd think that would account for the inconsistency. Think that would particularly be the case invintage models where a lot more work was done by hand.
vcnyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 01:41 AM   #9
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Here is my 1680 red that I had serviced a couple years ago. There were no service markings on the case back, and not a scratch on any screw head. It was the feeling by the watchmaker that the watch had never been serviced before.

As you can see the top crown guard is a little smaller than the bottom, yet the case is sharp, lugs are even in thickness, chamfers are original, present and period correct.

Old 28 October 2014, 01:44 AM   #10
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcnyls View Post
Just a thought (not an expert here by a long shot) - All watches were polished at some point (by Rolex originally, that is), so I'd think that would account for the inconsistency. Think that would particularly be the case invintage models where a lot more work was done by hand.
Maybe, yes, but I think in this case (pun intended) the notch for the crown was simply not cut in the middle - the crown guards are so uneven that I don't believe that polishing alone at the factory accounts for it. Just my humble opinion, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09843_zpsbc94babc.jpg~original.jpg (76.2 KB, 560 views)
Old 28 October 2014, 01:55 AM   #11
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont Miller II View Post
Here is my 1680 red that I had serviced a couple years ago. There were no service markings on the case back, and not a scratch on any screw head. It was the feeling by the watchmaker that the watch had never been serviced before.

As you can see the top crown guard is a little smaller than the bottom, yet the case is sharp, lugs are even in thickness, chamfers are original, present and period correct.
Good example, John, and gorgeous watch - mine also had no service markings in the case-back or on the screw-heads, and appeared unpolished.
Old 28 October 2014, 02:59 AM   #12
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Yours as well Karl.
Both are likely virgin examples.
Old 28 October 2014, 03:07 AM   #13
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe, yes, but I think in this case (pun intended) the notch for the crown was simply not cut in the middle - the crown guards are so uneven that I don't believe that polishing alone at the factory accounts for it. Just my humble opinion, of course.
That's another interesting way of looking at it. I didn't think of the notch for the crown being cut out (in my mind I always thought of it as being just an empty space in the mold they use) but that's another good thought.

EDIT: On that idea though, if the notch were cut out after, wouldn't that affect where the rod goes through from the crown to the movement? Wouldn't an off-cut notch (even a tiny bit) screw up the entire watch because the crown wouldn't turn the gears of the movement?
Old 28 October 2014, 03:12 AM   #14
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yours as well Karl.
Both are likely virgin examples.
Yours is about the newest-looking m-first I've ever seen; talk about time capsule!
So hard to find in that condition
Old 28 October 2014, 03:18 AM   #15
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's another interesting way of looking at it. I didn't think of the notch for the crown being cut out (in my mind I always thought of it as being just an empty space in the mold they use) but that's another good thought.

EDIT: On that idea though, if the notch were cut out after, wouldn't that affect where the rod goes through from the crown to the movement? Wouldn't an off-cut notch (even a tiny bit) screw up the entire watch because the crown wouldn't turn the gears of the movement?

I think the 'protrusion' for the crown - when the whole ingot was stamped out - was perhaps a fraction off-centre, so of course the position of the movement within the main middle casing dictated where the notch had to be cut out for the crown, within that protrusion. Just a layman's theory!
Old 28 October 2014, 03:26 AM   #16
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

All this is speculation of course - it may be that the whole case-shape on some of these old blanks, when being stamped out, was marginally off, including the lugs, in relation to the final position of the movement, which might account for it appearing to be very slightly skew-whiff?!
Old 28 October 2014, 03:30 AM   #17
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the kind words. However, To be honest it has the amount of slight surface wear you would expect from a 1680 from 1969 - 1970.
Old 28 October 2014, 04:03 AM   #18
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Crown Guard Question.

Great topic
Love em
Mk 3

Mk 1
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 07:22 AM   #19
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Here is my 1680 red .........

John I to this watch !

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 07:34 AM   #20
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:

The cases are punched out from a solid bar ( that is "cut" out ) and then machined to the final shape. The are not formed by casting with the use of a mould.

There are many videos showing this procedure though one should have some engineering / technical knowledge as to understand the content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UuDJl93Z1g

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 07:43 AM   #21
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Interesting. Never knew that! Very cool! Thanks!
Old 28 October 2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Thanks George.
Old 28 October 2014, 08:53 AM   #23
JerimiahLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Meters 1st
Quote:

As John shared, I have also seen numerous untouched examples in my time that have uneven crowngaurds.

Also of note, I have noticed the same applies for certain lugs (top right). Often times it is smaller (thinner) albeit the watch never seeing a polishing wheel.

My point is that these watches left Rolex with these "imperfections" and is part of the character associated with owning such a great piece of vintage tool watch history.
JerimiahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 09:18 AM   #24
redfred
"TRF" Member

Some really excellent information has been gleaned from this, I am just a 'newbie' in the vintage world but when I was just starting out I was put off buying certain watches after being advised by some well meaning 'experts' that the watch (from pictures) had been over polished based purely on the fact that the lower crown guard was thin! There is obviousely much more to vintage than I originally thought!
Old 28 October 2014, 12:02 PM   #25
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
The cases are punched out from a solid bar ( that is "cut" out ) and then machined to the final shape. The are not formed by casting with the use of a mould.

There are many videos showing this procedure though one should have some engineering / technical knowledge as to understand the content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UuDJl93Z1g
Cool video!

Is this accurate for vintage models as I just assumed they were cast. I can't imagine they had the technology back then to do it any other way.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 12:30 PM   #26
michel33

Official Rolex catalog from 1974, I own the same in italian.

michel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 12:37 PM   #27
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel33 View Post

This pic put it to rest about the issue then. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 01:02 PM   #28
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Great shots & pieces!

I would say 80% of the examples I have seen and looked at, the 4 hour crown guard tends to be the thinner, something I usually look for as a tell ;)

Tudor being the same.
Old 28 October 2014, 01:11 PM   #29
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel33 View Post

Wow that says it all.

See its perfectly normal for one to be bigger then the other
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2014, 07:18 PM   #30
redfred
"TRF" Member

As they say 'A picture tells a thousand words', I think this safetly puts this query to bed with no room for arguement!