The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 June 2017, 03:45 PM   #61
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
It's just not bought, worn or perceived as the tool watch it originally was.

Shame on you Rolex.
Works just fine in the cockpit.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 10:50 PM   #62
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The more I look at this watch the more I think this has no business being a WG model. This model with those colors just belongs on stainless. Red and Blue bezel just seem strange on white gold. I'm sure Rolex was simply thinking there was so much pent up desire for a new Pepsi model that they could just make it PM only and sell the hell out of it. I don't know their numbers but I'm pretty sure they aren't selling nearly as many as they had hoped. A new Pepsi (or Coke) SS GMT would immediately be the highest selling in the GMT line IMO and would probably be one of the best selling in their entire sport watch lineup. But Rolex got greedy...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 11:02 PM   #63
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
It's funny that you say that, because the whole point of the white gold BLRO was to taunt Rolex's old core audience. (You see GMTs on a lot of older travelers and expats.)

The gold BLRO was the kick in the gut.
Good point but imagine owners of the BLRO having thrown down $35K on this watch if in a year or two the same model comes out in stainless and the value of the BLRO plummets. THAT is a kick in the gut - similar to what they just did to white gold sky dweller owners
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 11:09 PM   #64
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
I think the next SS GMT Pepsi we see will be in the form of a completely overhauled GMT Master. (GMT Master III?)
I also don't think Rolex will make the same mistake twice of releasing one of their most iconic tool watch colour combos only in precious metal.
It was done at the time to trumpet their ability to form a bi-colour one piece bezel. A world first.

As beautiful as the current ceramic Pepsi is, Rolex have practically killed off the Pepsi by only offering it in PM. It's just way outside of most people's spending power to purchase, and lost its iconic tool watch credentials in the process by only being offered as a PM piece.
Imagine if the newer ceramic Sub With black bezel had only ever been released in PM and the marketing disaster that would have led to. Well that's what they did with the ceramic Pepsi.

GMT's are every bit tool watches by design and by their nature should primarily be made of SS. I doubt the pilots and astronauts of yesterday-year who wore these watches and made them the objects of desire they've become today would have done so had they been made of gold. They wouldn't have afforded them and neither would the watches been seen as serious tool watches paraded in PM. I also don't think the perceived image such a watch would have conveyed (as it does now being essentially unobtainium due to cost), would have made these particular professionals feel comfortable wearing it and I imagine few of the current ones in the wild now are worn as serious tool watches being exposed to the daily knocks and grinds that cockpits inflict. It's just not bought, worn or perceived as the tool watch it originally was.

Shame on you Rolex.

Personally I hope they discontinue it in WG. Not because it's ugly or offensive, it's not. Discontinuing it will afford current owners to continue to enjoy a rare and unique reference which will become ever more desirable as soon as it's removed from the catalog, and it will give Rolex the opportunity to re-vitalise the GMT line up and get back to offering a desirable tool watch first, and a PM novelty next.

The GMT line up is in desperate need of a complete re-think IMHO with respect to Bezel offerings and the case materials they are mated to.

I'd personally love to see a heritage line come to the market with sapphire bezels overlaid on genuine bakerlite. Waiting lists for those would make the current Daytona shortage pale to insignificance and line the pockets of many a grey dealer no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
The more I look at this watch the more I think this has no business being a WG model. This model with those colors just belongs on stainless. Red and Blue bezel just seem strange on white gold. I'm sure Rolex was simply thinking there was so much pent up desire for a new Pepsi model that they could just make it PM only and sell the hell out of it. I don't know their numbers but I'm pretty sure they aren't selling nearly as many as they had hoped. A new Pepsi (or Coke) SS GMT would immediately be the highest selling in the GMT line IMO and would probably be one of the best selling in their entire sport watch lineup. But Rolex got greedy...

I suspect Rolex is very happy with the GMTc sales as they are. BLNR is still hot 4 years on....

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 11:31 PM   #65
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Show me where I can find a new one for low 20s and I'll buy it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncufunc View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=537882

There are a couple of POs for a bit less
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Congrats (in advance) on your purchase!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=502380

I had very few inquiries and even fewer offers!
OK, I see the problem. I had done a search on "BLRO" and both of those sellers listed it as "116719BLRO" and the lack of a space made my search fail. Lesson learned (for me) to try more variations.

As for others' comments about PM watches: my local AD does not typically stock PM in any model, just because they are slow movers. An AD in the city that I work in is supposedly going to get in a BLRO today and I will see it today or tomorrow because, really, seriously, I gotta look at it before I spend 20+ large on a watch.

Thanks for the links to the for sale threads...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 12:03 AM   #66
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
To answer the original question from the OP...no, I don't think so. Nor do I see this coming out in steel.

But...I guess you never know.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 12:13 AM   #67
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

MJB:

Looks like you have multiple opportunities to buy in the low $20's and another one on Ebay went unsold with an asking price of $22,500 and they were willing to accept offers for even less than that. It's time to get your checkbook out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-GMT-Ma...3D302323431617
montecarlo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 12:30 AM   #68
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Nobody expected Skydwellers to come out in SS either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 12:54 AM   #69
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

There was one on Ebay with a buy it now price of $22,500 and a best offer option and it went unsold.
Old 2 June 2017, 07:21 AM   #70
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Rolex have told ADs the reason was because all the costs of finally making the two primary colour insert would add £2K to the SS version and they did not think the market would stand it, I think it would have and sold very well, but that's their justification. I don't think they expected huge sales in WG and got greedy, in fact the D500 is too cheap and could easily have a 1-2K premium and still be a hot seller for them.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 09:03 PM   #71
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
How is it clear that it isn't selling to Rolex expectations? How do you know it is selling less than the wg sub?
Finally, why would Rolex care if it becomes sought after and exclusive AFTER it is discontinued?
Remember Rolex is a for profit business, they are not collectors.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 10:19 PM   #72
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlo77 View Post
MJB:

Looks like you have multiple opportunities to buy in the low $20's and another one on Ebay went unsold with an asking price of $22,500 and they were willing to accept offers for even less than that. It's time to get your checkbook out!
Huh. It looks like that one and some others on eBay are local pickup only. What's up with that, do people not like to ship things, or are they afraid of insurance costs, liability, accusations of fraud, or what? A TRF seller also seems to have the same issue. Sorry for the hijack. I'm confused...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 3 June 2017, 01:30 AM   #73
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Would make no sense for them to release a SS Pepsi now. That would be a complete kick in the gut to BLRO owners. Would make a ton of sense for them to release a SS Coke however. That would sell like crazy in my opinion and would preserve the Pepsi as a PM watch only
That didn't stop Rolex from releasing the Sky-Dweller in SS this year a model which was only made in PM.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 01:18 PM   #74
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

@Sublovin: I think Rolex cares indirectly about supporting the resale values and creating exclusivity because that will keep new watch demand higher. If they just flood the market with every model (especially high end PM models) then Rolex watches will not hold their value, and will not have the air of exclusivity. If they create classics and exclusivity by ending production on certain models then that will keep demand for other models higher. Just look at demand for the new Daytona, because they have not flooded the market everyone wants one and values are higher than MSRP, that is GREAT for Rolex!

@ M J B: I would not agree to ship a Rolex either, what if a buyer claims they received a fake Rolex in the box? How can you disprove that or not have issues if they make unwarranted claims?
Old 8 June 2017, 10:02 PM   #75
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@ M J B: I would not agree to ship a Rolex either, what if a buyer claims they received a fake Rolex in the box? How can you disprove that or not have issues if they make unwarranted claims?
I hate to hijack the thread, but every Rolex that I've bought and sold (along with many other high-end watches) was done via shipping. Never had a problem.

If you were to sell one and the buyer claimed it was a fake, then they should send it back for a refund. If they make unwarranted claims, well... that could happen in any kind of transaction. If you properly describe and photograph the item, there shouldn't be any issues.

Old 9 June 2017, 01:16 AM   #76
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That's why as a seller you must establish a strong reputation and then accept wire only.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 05:22 AM   #77
montecarlo77
"TRF" Member

MJB: Most transactions probably go fine but if you sell to the wrong person and you ship them a real Rolex but they claim it was fake and ship it back to you then what? Yes, photos will help but it could be a mess.
Old 9 June 2017, 05:28 AM   #78
rabdal897
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Ceramic
I dont think so honestly, or at least a strong part of me is hoping that they don't
rabdal897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 05:43 AM   #79
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
MJB: Most transactions probably go fine but if you sell to the wrong person and you ship them a real Rolex but they claim it was fake and ship it back to you then what? Yes, photos will help but it could be a mess.
At some point you just have to trust people. I don't - or I try not to - worry about every little thing that could happen. It's a lot more likely that some schmuck is going to come up behind me, hit me over the head and and steal my watch off of my wrist than go through a complicated mail fraud.

Besides, any crook doing what you describe is going to have to first come up with 8, 10, 20 thousand dollars and then hope that they can make the con work and get it back.

Old 9 June 2017, 08:16 AM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Your safest bet is to buy/sell to someone who has a lot more to lose than you, ie a trusted seller on this forum who sells many thousand dollars worth of watches a week. One negative review from you could seriously affect them so they will do anything to make it right and they certainly won't scam you for relative peanuts. Research them here and their sales volume, this forum is a buyer's best friend and protection.
Old 11 June 2017, 09:11 AM   #81
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
If they discontinued, it's not like it would make Rolex any more money though
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 06:00 PM   #82
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The inspiration for the BLRO was the 6542

Beautiful shots! Is the 6542 in your collection? It’s lovely. I’ve read enough of your posts to know you are a PM guy. I miss my 116719 and will be adding it back. I appreciate how the BLRO pays homage to the 6542 colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 January 2018, 10:21 PM   #83
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
That didn't stop Rolex from releasing the Sky-Dweller in SS this year a model which was only made in PM.
Exactly, they would have no problem making it in SS and it would be a hit and maybe even surpass the BLNR in sales. People that love Gold and want stealth would still buy the gold version if a SS model came out.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 10:34 PM   #84
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

The ceramic bezel on PM Daytona was eventually passed down to SS Daytona, and the Sky-Dweller is now available in SS. I guess the new generation of GMT with new movement, Pepsi will be re-introduced to the SS GMT.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 01:00 AM   #85
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I would venture this outsells the WG SkyD and YM2. To make more use of the higher cost of the bezel they should release this in RG and YG as well.
Old 13 January 2018, 01:01 AM   #86
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
The ceramic bezel on PM Daytona was eventually passed down to SS Daytona, and the Sky-Dweller is now available in SS. I guess the new generation of GMT with new movement, Pepsi will be re-introduced to the SS GMT.
Would need a white dial to differentiate it enough imho, black dial won't happen. SS CokeC is more likely.
Old 13 January 2018, 01:04 AM   #87
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I think it is doing fine. Doubt they would discontinue it.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 01:17 AM   #88
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Many of you guys are overthinking things like this.
Some people only buy PM watches so it doesn't matter if they release it SS also...
Old 13 January 2018, 10:51 AM   #89
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
No, not do I think it’s a bad seller. Fact is the price has found its level. I would find it very hard to beleive itnwill ever be in SS again either. Unlike the SkyD is an historical iconic model and the WG celebrates that fact
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 10:56 AM   #90
aquatimerfla
Banned

Rolex is going to blow everyones minds when they release a TT Rootbeer on Jubilee @ Basel 18

cant wait
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote