The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 March 2018, 10:42 PM   #1
masterof
"TRF" Member

Help me identify this vintage Rolex

First of, im new to rolex. Please excuse noob.
Found this watch and the dealer wants 1700-1800 Euro.
Thanks for all feedback:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex1.jpg (206.5 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg rolex2.jpg (245.7 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg rolex3.jpg (203.1 KB, 432 views)
masterof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2018, 04:36 AM   #2
Paul
"TRF" Member

What you have there ..

The man from the land of the long white cloud sends greetings to the man from the land of the midnight sun

What you have there is Rolex 6565, a nice watch from an era that greatly appeals to me.

Unequivocally vintage, produced in 1959 (see the date code inside the case-back) and that code should align with a serial number that you'll find between the lugs at the 6 o'clock position (outside of the case). I might expect that serial number to be something like 399,xxx. And, if a stamping of 6565 is found between the lugs at the 12 o'clock position, you have a matching set of case components as they left the factory 60 years ago. The case looks to be in nice condition, see how the lugs look to be quite crisp, not all rounded off from hard wearing or over-polishing. We just have basic pics to study but that's the kinda thing Rolex nutters look for.

Looks to have a nice enough dial and hand set - and the style of those is what I'd expect for a 6565 from 1959. Pics aren't clear enough for me to see if the dial has been refinished but it's possibly AOK original. The black dial dress watches command a higher price but the white dials with the arrow plots and dagger hands (like the watch you've shown) are also rather nice IMHO

That's a Rolex 1030 movement under the hood and it looks to be nice and clean which is a promising start. The 1030 was Rolex'es workhorse automatic movement for many decades. With a bit of maintenance a 1030 movement will tick along forever, but be aware the watch is now too old to be accepted by the Rolex Service Centres so any maintenance work will need to be done by an independent watchmaker, hopefully one who has experience with vintage Rolex and access to parts if ever needed. I see a couple of watchmaker's service inscriptions inside the case-back - any recent service history ?

As declared on the dial, the watch has an OCC movement ('Officially Certified Chronometer') which means that at the time of manufacture, the movement met the timekeeping requirements of whoever certifies these things - read that as very accurate timekeeping and 60 years later, a good watchmaker should still be able to keep the watch running within a few seconds (plus or minus) each day.

You'll see an odd stamping inside the case-back that has been scratched through (looks like it says '6558'). Rolex have always been thrifty and that's an example of them using a case-back that was intended for a different watch. That is quite commonly seen and AOK.

And please check but I think your watch takes a 19mm bracelet which can easily be found. The watch may have been sold originally on a leather strap or perhaps a stainless steel rivet bracelet. Sourcing a 1959 dated bracelet might take a while and cost a bit (quite expensive now for very early bracelets) but a standard (non-rivet) oyster bracelet can be picked up for about $400. I'm thinking a 19mm strap or bracelet fits a 6565 - please check that (20mm bracelets are crazy expensive now, especially early ones).

34mm case (rather small nowadays) or a 36mm case - I've forgotten ? If you are buying on line, check that the size suits your needs anyway.

The price at euro 1700 is probably AOK. You may pick up something cheaper if you try your luck on FleaBay but I'd say the price tag on this watch seems realistic.

Hope that helps
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2018, 05:06 AM   #3
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
The man from the land of the long white cloud sends greetings to the man from the land of the midnight sun

What you have there is Rolex 6565, a nice watch from an era that greatly appeals to me.

Unequivocally vintage, produced in 1959 (see the date code inside the case-back) and that code should align with a serial number that you'll find between the lugs at the 6 o'clock position (outside of the case). I might expect that serial number to be something like 399,xxx. And, if a stamping of 6565 is found between the lugs at the 12 o'clock position, you have a matching set of case components as they left the factory 60 years ago. The case looks to be in nice condition, see how the lugs look to be quite crisp, not all rounded off from hard wearing or over-polishing. We just have basic pics to study but that's the kinda thing Rolex nutters look for.

Looks to have a nice enough dial and hand set - and the style of those is what I'd expect for a 6565 from 1959. Pics aren't clear enough for me to see if the dial has been refinished but it's possibly AOK original. The black dial dress watches command a higher price but the white dials with the arrow plots and dagger hands (like the watch you've shown) are also rather nice IMHO

That's a Rolex 1030 movement under the hood and it looks to be nice and clean which is a promising start. The 1030 was Rolex'es workhorse automatic movement for many decades. With a bit of maintenance a 1030 movement will tick along forever, but be aware the watch is now too old to be accepted by the Rolex Service Centres so any maintenance work will need to be done by an independent watchmaker, hopefully one who has experience with vintage Rolex and access to parts if ever needed. I see a couple of watchmaker's service inscriptions inside the case-back - any recent service history ?

As declared on the dial, the watch has an OCC movement ('Officially Certified Chronometer') which means that at the time of manufacture, the movement met the timekeeping requirements of whoever certifies these things - read that as very accurate timekeeping and 60 years later, a good watchmaker should still be able to keep the watch running within a few seconds (plus or minus) each day.

You'll see an odd stamping inside the case-back that has been scratched through (looks like it says '6558'). Rolex have always been thrifty and that's an example of them using a case-back that was intended for a different watch. That is quite commonly seen and AOK.

And please check but I think your watch takes a 19mm bracelet which can easily be found. The watch may have been sold originally on a leather strap or perhaps a stainless steel rivet bracelet. Sourcing a 1959 dated bracelet might take a while and cost a bit (quite expensive now for very early bracelets) but a standard (non-rivet) oyster bracelet can be picked up for about $400. I'm thinking a 19mm strap or bracelet fits a 6565 - please check that (20mm bracelets are crazy expensive now, especially early ones).

34mm case (rather small nowadays) or a 36mm case - I've forgotten ? If you are buying on line, check that the size suits your needs anyway.

The price at euro 1700 is probably AOK. You may pick up something cheaper if you try your luck on FleaBay but I'd say the price tag on this watch seems realistic.

Hope that helps
Ahoy there
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2018, 06:45 AM   #4
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Good looking watch no!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 01:01 AM   #5
RobW
"TRF" Member

I'd say 1700-1800 Euros for this vintage and condition is a pretty good price. Just factor in the price of the required servicing it will need.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Be aware that a service may end up costly. Parts for this movement are hard to find and hence expensive (ask me how I know).
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 07:01 AM   #7
Paul
"TRF" Member

I saw that coming ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Be aware that a service may end up costly. Parts for this movement are hard to find and hence expensive (ask me how I know).
With a firm commitment to this hobby and a particular penchant for seeing tired old Subs come back to life, I anticipated an ennvironment where parts would become scarce. I bit the bullet and purchased a few good, running Rolex 15xx movements and Tudor 390 movements and have sat on those for a few years now.

I'd note too that IMHO, the craft of watchmaking in its most raw form is almost gone - while many have the skills and a trade certificate declaring they can 'make a watch', a lot less would have the inclination nowadays to turn a new part on a lathe (or similar) .... and most clients would baulk at the cost anyway. Much easier for everyone if the watchmaker, or the collector can turn to a stash of spare parts.

A sad example ... I put a dead Sicura Breitling diver in front of a local watchmaker a couple of years back (an elderly gentleman whose services I had not used before). A cursory glance at the watch and he simply handed it back " ... Nope, can't get parts for that ..."
Old 17 March 2018, 01:01 AM   #8
masterof
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Hope that helps
Hello and greetings from the other side of the globe
Thank for that much cherished answer.
The stamping inside sais 6552 under the 6565. The serial on the case is 437604 and 6552(not 6565). If someone can tell me if this is a bad sign or just as you explained about rolex using different parts, I would highly appreciate it! Im getting this watch tomorrow for the price of 1500 Euros, but i dont want to buy a frankenwatch.
The clock works fine but there is no service history.
masterof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 06:47 AM   #9
Paul
"TRF" Member

Ok ....

So you have a case stamped 6552 ... and a case back double-stamped on the inside, 6565 and 6552.

That's AOK. It means your watch is a reference 6552 with a case-back produced for a similar reference but then used for the watch you've shown. The case serial number 437xxx matches the case-back date code and the '6552' code features on both, so the mix of parts seems to be as it left the factory.

When Rolex used re-stamped case backs (quite a common practice) they usually scratched through the original stamping. If you're not seeing that, it's not an issue for me. Before old Rolexes became collectible the factory and watchmakers were the only people who ever saw the inside of a case back so it wasn't that important.

Looks like a happy mix of case and case-back to me with numbers / codes aligning nicely. I can't give you a definitive nod of approval for the dial (original vs. refinished) from your pics, but it's also quite possibly AOK. I think I can see a T-SWISS-T stamping beneath the 6 o'clock position on the dial - that bodes well for original, rather than refinished.

A quick Google search cos the 6552 is a bit unfamiliar to me. I see it does have a 34mm case - like I said, a bit small for some folks nowadays but very common for Rolex and many other manufacturers through that era
Old 19 March 2018, 11:22 AM   #10
Vlad
"TRF" Member

never learned to like 34mm 1030 cal watches. But the condition of the movement justifies the asking price.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote