The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 October 2013, 01:46 AM   #1
hypnorich

Red Sub - Right twice daily - fix it or sell it?

Hello, I've been lurking for some time. So let me first introduce myself as well, my name is Richard, and I live in southern NJ, near Philly.

My father passed down his circa 1978 or 9? Submariner to me. It was completely water damaged, and is in terrible condition. He was a character and even wore it that way for the last 2 or 3 years of his life. As he liked to joke "it told time exactly right twice a day." It's "bricked" completely.

I took it to a reputable local dealer and they sent it to Rolex to estimate repair, and it will be $2,625 to fix it. But, (and this is kind of a BIG but for me) SO much of it would be replaced, that little original watch would remain. Pretty much everything would be new except the case.

They would replace:
- Case Tube
- Crown
- Bezel Insert
- Crystal
- Movement (complete)
- Dial (trade-in)
- Pair of hands
- Second hand

And they would refinish the case. And they suggested a new bracelet for it too, as this one's pretty twisted up and scratched

It sounds like they would not replace it with a similar dial, but a newer one, which makes sense I think, because that's what they have. I asked if I found a similar aged dial in good shape and sent them it with the watch if they could use that and they said "no."

So at this point, I'm wondering if it is even worth fixing, if so little original watch comes back? Or is it better to sell it as broken as it is and find a similar era Submariner to replace it, that's in better shape?

Or should I just wear it and be happy it's exactly right at 5:10 twice a day (though really only on the 8th of each month)?

Hopefully I can attach a few photos too. Would love to get some opinions. What would you do?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

p.s. I should say the watch is bittersweet to me, as it reminds me of my dad, but also reminds me of his financial failures which he could not overcome later in his life.

hypnorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome..

Do not send this watch to the RSC.. They will ruin the value of it and remove it's soul.

Get in touch with a proper Rolex restoration professional, like Bob Ridley at www.watchmakers.com and have it properly restored..
Old 18 October 2013, 09:30 AM   #3
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Welcome..

Do not send this watch to the RSC.. They will ruin the value of it and remove it's soul.

Get in touch with a proper Rolex restoration professional, like Bob Ridley at www.watchmakers.com and have it properly restored..
X2, thanks for sharing, keep us updated
Old 18 October 2013, 09:39 AM   #4
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I agree with Tools. This watch means a lot to you it seems and it deserves the proper attention. Rik deitel (spelling?)is a member here and you should be able to pm him. I believe his website is timecare.com or bob ridley as mentioned above. Good luck and know that your dad will be smiling down on you as you set about on this journey. Keep us posted.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
No watch in the world can be a credible substitute to your father's watch. This sub looks great and, restored by a safe pair of hands, will regain its past glory. Have it restored by all means, and let us know how it goes.
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 09:49 AM   #6
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
It has a red letter Sub dial so more value anyway. You can usually find a total movement on this forum or others for about 1K so that would be the easiest way to proceed. Then a simple service with seals and perhaps stabilize the hands and wear it with great memories. M
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 10:00 AM   #7
mjk2613
"TRF" Member

I guess there is a few options for you. If the watch has a negative connotation to it due to your fathers financial struggles, you could restore it to new by RSC (symbolically showing that you have over come the struggles by affording it yourself and in essence reinvent his watch) or leave it be and sell it as is (effectively distancing yourself from the situation) or you could restore it using someone who would restore it to its vintage potential (financially helping your dad out) I guess it really comes down to how you perceive yourself and the situation and how you want to over come and close this chapter in your life.
mjk2613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 11:40 AM   #8
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnorich View Post
Hello, I've been lurking for some time. So let me first introduce myself as well, my name is Richard, and I live in southern NJ, near Philly.

My father passed down his circa 1978 or 9? Submariner to me. It was completely water damaged, and is in terrible condition. He was a character and even wore it that way for the last 2 or 3 years of his life. As he liked to joke "it told time exactly right twice a day." It's "bricked" completely.

I took it to a reputable local dealer and they sent it to Rolex to estimate repair, and it will be $2,625 to fix it. But, (and this is kind of a BIG but for me) SO much of it would be replaced, that little original watch would remain. Pretty much everything would be new except the case.

They would replace:
- Case Tube
- Crown
- Bezel Insert
- Crystal
- Movement (complete)
- Dial (trade-in)
- Pair of hands
- Second hand

And they would refinish the case. And they suggested a new bracelet for it too, as this one's pretty twisted up and scratched

It sounds like they would not replace it with a similar dial, but a newer one, which makes sense I think, because that's what they have. I asked if I found a similar aged dial in good shape and sent them it with the watch if they could use that and they said "no."

So at this point, I'm wondering if it is even worth fixing, if so little original watch comes back? Or is it better to sell it as broken as it is and find a similar era Submariner to replace it, that's in better shape?

Or should I just wear it and be happy it's exactly right at 5:10 twice a day (though really only on the 8th of each month)?

Hopefully I can attach a few photos too. Would love to get some opinions. What would you do?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

p.s. I should say the watch is bittersweet to me, as it reminds me of my dad, but also reminds me of his financial failures which he could not overcome later in his life.

Send to Bob Ridley ASAP. Please keep us posted. Ask him to take before and after pics. It's worth the cost to bring back to life!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Beef
"TRF" Member

Definitely send it to Bob or Rikki for a restoration!
Old 18 October 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
It has a red letter Sub dial so more value anyway. You can usually find a total movement on this forum or others for about 1K so that would be the easiest way to proceed. Then a simple service with seals and perhaps stabilize the hands and wear it with great memories. M
x2 well said my friend exactly what i would do.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 12:20 PM   #11
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
i would also restore the watch and do not send to RSC.

man i sure wish my dad had a Red sub to pass down lol Its ok i will make sure i have one to pass down to my son
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 01:03 PM   #12
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
If there has ever been a PRIME EXAMPLE of a watch that needs Bob Ridley.....this is it. Send it there, make payments over time if you must....but don't send to RSC.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 01:50 PM   #13
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

That one will restore just fine. I don't think you'll regret it.
motoikkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 02:28 PM   #14
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Great advice given above. Please keep us posted.
Old 18 October 2013, 04:26 PM   #15
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
amazing watch and amazing heirloom

hope you keep us updated
jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 09:25 PM   #16
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Is the white stuff on the dial or on the plexi? Anyway: whatever you do don't do a Rolex service. Way too expensive and the'll scr.w up your watch
Mark020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 10:01 PM   #17
bridgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
It is better that a man is a failure in business than a failure in the home. It sounds like he was probably not a failure in the home. Just follow your heart.
bridgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 11:01 PM   #18
BaltimoreBrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: iZ
Welcome to the forum and again, as the others have stated, this is a great piece and as it stands is worth even more than the proposed repair bill from RSC.

Bob Ridley and Rikki have both been mentioned as possibilities to do this work and they both come highly recommended.

The value of your watch is in the fact that it is a Red Dial Submariner, with its original hands and case. RSC, would want to make the watch look and function as new, but in this case, it would be like taking a valuable piece of antique piece of furniture, sanding it down, and applying a new finish. The value is in the patina and wear.

While it would be ok for Rolex to service the movement, replace a crystal or tube, you don't want the dial, handset, date wheel replaced and the case polished out. That's where Bob and Rikki come into the picture as individuals who can repair and restore. And they do everything.

And by any chance if your father saved the box and papers to the watch, you have added even some more to its value.

It is so fascinating to the collector how these great watches are still out there, almost untouched. Congrats on a great watch, a great gift from your dad, and a smart decision of your dad to hold onto it and not have sold it.
BaltimoreBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 11:23 PM   #19
hypnorich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Welcome..

This is what I feared would happen if I sent it to them. It would come back a completely different spirit.

It also seems a lot of people seconded your opinion of Bob Ridley, and that's a pretty powerful thing, endorsements like that. I believe I will contact him, on all of your recommendations, and see what he thinks, and recommends.

Thank you everyone for your comments, and opinions. At this point, I would really love to see my dad's watch come back to its former glory. I will report back with steps and progress, and let you know what happens. I very much appreciated your feedback everyone!
Old 18 October 2013, 11:28 PM   #20
hypnorich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Is the white stuff on the dial or on the plexi? Anyway: whatever you do don't do a Rolex service. Way too expensive and the'll scr.w up your watch
The white stuff is on the dial. I am not sure if it would clean up, or if that is some kind of decay. I am going to contact Bob Ridley next I think. Thank you for all your help everyone.
Old 18 October 2013, 11:39 PM   #21
hypnorich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBrian View Post
Welcome to the forum and again, as the others have stated, this is a great piece and as it stands is worth even more than the proposed repair bill from RSC.

Bob Ridley and Rikki have both been mentioned as possibilities to do this work and they both come highly recommended.

The value of your watch is in the fact that it is a Red Dial Submariner, with its original hands and case. RSC, would want to make the watch look and function as new, but in this case, it would be like taking a valuable piece of antique piece of furniture, sanding it down, and applying a new finish. The value is in the patina and wear.

While it would be ok for Rolex to service the movement, replace a crystal or tube, you don't want the dial, handset, date wheel replaced and the case polished out. That's where Bob and Rikki come into the picture as individuals who can repair and restore. And they do everything.

And by any chance if your father saved the box and papers to the watch, you have added even some more to its value.

It is so fascinating to the collector how these great watches are still out there, almost untouched. Congrats on a great watch, a great gift from your dad, and a smart decision of your dad to hold onto it and not have sold it.
Alas, no box nor papers. I certainly can understand collectors valuing such things. The box I'm sure he probably gave to one of us kids, as a trinket to play with and store some tiny little items inside of probably. If he had saved the papers at all, they would have been in his safe, which conveniently had wheels on it, that got quietly rolled out of his house by thiefs (along with the gold and diamonds Presidential Rolex that was inside of it). I had fun ribbing him about how easy he had made it for them to roll out his "safe". Joking how grateful the robbers must have been, for him saving their backs from strain. He didn't like the gold Timex I bought him that year for his birthday.
Old 18 October 2013, 11:43 PM   #22
hypnorich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgs View Post
It is better that a man is a failure in business than a failure in the home. It sounds like he was probably not a failure in the home. Just follow your heart.
Thank you for these kind words, and I totally agree.

He was actually quite successful in business and was very well respected, and also as a father. It was just that later in life he was not in the position he should have been in financially; he had not planned appropriately when he had the resources earlier on in life. But that was his character. Living for today.
Old 18 October 2013, 11:44 PM   #23
flybooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: 7021/0 Tudor Sub
My Dad's Tudor Sub is quite low on the value scale, monetarily speaking anyway.
I dropped 2k on a watch maybe worth 3500....? Bob took a while, almost 7 months but it looks as it should for a watch born in 1970. If i were to have replaced everything it would not be my my Dad's watch anymore.

But I now wear it every day and lays next to me at the head of my bed at night.

Good luck
Dave
flybooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 11:45 PM   #24
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Great watch from your father - indeed you should restore.

The bracelet can be restored by Michael Young in Hong Kong for around 200-300

The Head can be serviced at the Rolex factory vintage service center
we have in Greece for around $900, a few months ago they serviced
my own red Sub for about $680 but it was in a better shape than yours
I would not replace the original dial and hands and insert...request that.

With the Rolex service plus the green card 2 year Rolex international
warranty the value will be around $9,000... so if you ask me (?)...this will be a superb deal...
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 12:04 AM   #25
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
All good advice. If you want this restored to "classic", the Bob Ridley types are the way to go, but if you just want a wearable watch, there are plenty of non-RSC watch tech's who can do nice work. If you aren't ready for the full Bob R. treatment, I suggest doing the minimum-- don't change the bracelet (it might be valuable), don't swap dials, do a very careful polish (or none at all), don't change hands and don't change the bezel insert. To me, this watch looks pretty sharp on the outside, right now. Looks like RSC has given you a price to update this watch to near new condition, rather than a price to preserve the vintage look and condition.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 12:08 AM   #26
hypnorich

Good story Flybooey. I understand what that means. Just holding my dad's watch reminds me of a lot of good times with him.
Old 19 October 2013, 12:10 AM   #27
hypnorich

Thanks TempoKing. I didn't know there was such a factory vintage service place. On mine, as I understand it the complete movement needs removal and replacement. Water corrosion throughout.
Old 19 October 2013, 12:12 AM   #28
hypnorich

I have sent Mr. Ridley an email to begin conversations with him for estimating his services. I'll keep you all in tune. Thanks again everyone.
Old 19 October 2013, 12:26 AM   #29
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Send the watch to Bob and get a full estimate, I think you be presently surprised at the cost and outcome.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 04:02 AM   #30
enhamhale
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariners all
Sub

Your baby would well be worth restoring long term ( they will keep going up ) :c
enhamhale is offline   Reply With Quote