The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 April 2014, 10:21 AM   #91
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
The original owner kept the set and watch very nice. But he did keep it off his wrist. The watch got plenty of wrist time by the looks of that gorgeous insert.
You are correct, this watch did get worn, and it did get polished; I was confusing this red with another NOS redsub.

I am really enjoying the 1971 year Rolex. !
Old 11 April 2014, 10:44 AM   #92
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor66 View Post
You are correct, this watch did get worn, and it did get polished; I was confusing this red with another NOS redsub.

I am really enjoying the 1971 year Rolex. !
The owner took incredible care of it. The insert looks flawless.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2014, 11:51 AM   #93
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I would keep the 1675 and trade the other two. If you can't do that then don't do it. All the vintage stuff is getting harder to finger in great condition. Even stuff you think is 'common'. I get the obsession, having done it myself. That being said you should curb it a touch. Having a sub and a GMT is good variety. Just one probably won't work and you'll regret it down the road. Good luck!
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2014, 12:20 PM   #94
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

RedSub 3.3 million serial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
...In hindsight, and just for fun, I wonder how feasible this alternative would have been - keep all three of the other watches and then just source a vintage red dial? These dials come up for sale from time to time in various conditions, and since you already owned a pristine white 1680, that would serve as the base.

Whenever you got the itch for the red, have your red dial swapped in and store the white dial in your watchbox or safe until you decide to go back to the white. Obviously it began its life as a white and is still a white, but at least that way you can enjoy the red whenever you want it without having to sacrifice the white. It's a 2-fer.

Personally, I would have done that since you can have two subs out of one base watch. Sort of like swapping dials and hands in the Exp II 16570 to have both black and polar.

Just a thought.
I never considered swapping out dials, that's just not the way I do things when it comes to Rolex. I am being trained by a few serious Rolex collectors and Rolex trained technicians- dial swapping is never part of our conversations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Fantastic!
I agree Karl, thank you for the encouraging worlds which helped me to get to this point of owning a Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
The owner took incredible care of it. The insert looks flawless.
Thanks, The naturally faded grayish bezel gives this watch a unique look. I can't wait to pickup a few leather straps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
I would keep the 1675 and trade the other two. If you can't do that then don't do it. All the vintage stuff is getting harder to finger in great condition. Even stuff you think is 'common'. I get the obsession, having done it myself. That being said you should curb it a touch. Having a sub and a GMT is good variety. Just one probably won't work and you'll regret it down the road. Good luck!
I don't miss the 1969 year pepsi, mostly because I am getting ready to buy back the 1971 year Pepsi I sold last year- this would give me a 1971 pair...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red3.jpg (213.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 13 April 2014, 12:58 PM   #95
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
I'd keep 3 instead of just having 1. But only you can answer that, how do you feel when you look at that red sub? I'm sure getting the 3 watches would be "easier" in the future when you're able to free up some more cash...

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2014, 04:57 PM   #96
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
You have a real dilemma on your hands.
I've never been big on the GMT so I probably would.
The value of full set Reds climb every year and such a set is ever increasingly hard to find, you should be able to find these other 3 watches at a later stage when you can afford it.
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2014, 06:57 PM   #97
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree Karl, thank you for the encouraging worlds which helped me to get to this point of owning a Red.

I don't miss the 1969 year pepsi, mostly because I am getting ready to buy back the 1971 year Pepsi I sold last year- this would give me a 1971 pair...!
You are most welcome my friend, and great news on the '71 dynamic duo! Congrats again
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2014, 12:51 AM   #98
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
I never considered swapping out dials, that's just not the way I do things when it comes to Rolex. I am being trained by a few serious Rolex collectors and Rolex trained technicians- dial swapping is never part of our conversations.
LOL, dude, all you had to say was this is for a collection and you are concerned about the provenance. Done, I totally understand that. The rest isn't impressive to me and is completely irrelevant. "Trained?"
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2014, 01:03 AM   #99
eeh100773
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 T Series '96
Good for you! You obviously wanted the red, & in my estimation, made the right call and went for what you wanted. Enjoy your daily Sub. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 April 2014, 02:26 AM   #100
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL, dude, all you had to say was this is for a collection and you are concerned about the provenance. Done, I totally understand that. The rest isn't impressive to me and is completely irrelevant. "Trained?"

I doubt he was trying to impress u.
Old 15 April 2014, 04:37 AM   #101
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
^ It's all good, Crown. No worries.

Thanks, again, for the PMs, Tudor. I'm definitely coming to you for help when I'm ready to begin my own hunt for the Red.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2014, 04:47 AM   #102
enhamhale
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariners all
Good luck with your decision ,like some say in the thread you will end up with a red sub anyway and they are a good bet at moment with full set
enhamhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2014, 06:29 AM   #103
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
I would keep the GMT and trade the other two. Why not find one without box and papers and do that?
Old 15 April 2014, 06:35 AM   #104
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Not really a dilemma in the bigger scheme of things - Your 1680/1675 combo looks superb - I think you would be crazy to let them go for the red Sub no matter what its condition. Its not every day that you could come across two as nice as those!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2014, 06:39 AM   #105
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The red sub pictured in my original post has been sitting in my safe; yes I bought it recently, but it's a museum piece, and I don't have the desire to devalue it by wearing it...

Stay tuned...

Alright, I'm officially confused. So, you have a feet first 1680 already and want to buy another one?

I don't get it. Wear the one you have and buy a meters first and keep it in your safe instead...

Old 15 April 2014, 06:47 AM   #106
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
I'm with you..Doesn't the red text just mean that it was sold in North America?
It does not. They were not sold only in North America. The transition from red to white was basically sequential with serial numbers with red starting at around serial 2.07 million and white starting at around the 4 million mark (see the below articles for more info).

http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/w.../untitled.html

http://rolexpassionreport.com/174/th...eference-1680/
Old 15 April 2014, 12:51 PM   #107
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

Alright, I'm officially confused. So, you have a feet first 1680 already and want to buy another one?

I don't get it. Wear the one you have and buy a meters first and keep it in your safe instead...

this thread is old. Hes already traded his watches for that Stunning Red set.
Old 15 April 2014, 01:04 PM   #108
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Well, it looks like you made your decision and found a very fine specimen. Nice work! It really is a nice looking red.

In hindsight, and just for fun, I wonder how feasible this alternative would have been - keep all three of the other watches and then just source a vintage red dial? These dials come up for sale from time to time in various conditions, and since you already owned a pristine white 1680, that would serve as the base.

Whenever you got the itch for the red, have your red dial swapped in and store the white dial in your watchbox or safe until you decide to go back to the white. Obviously it began its life as a white and is still a white, but at least that way you can enjoy the red whenever you want it without having to sacrifice the white. It's a 2-fer.

Personally, I would have done that since you can have two subs out of one base watch. Sort of like swapping dials and hands in the Exp II 16570 to have both black and polar.

Just a thought.
Your idea while it does seem like a good one..... In practice, it just isn't terribly feasible. With a red sub, a great deal of the value is in the dial. Every time a watchmaker has to remove / replace or even touch the dial, there is risk of damage.....mostly to the minute hash marks. Once there is damage, there will always be damage, even if expertly repaired. IMHO, the least number of times that someone needs to access the dial/hands on these vintage pieces.....the better

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2014, 03:25 PM   #109
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

time for a new thread...

Yes, this thread has run it's course. Yes, I am wearing the Red 1680 every day, and I sold a few watches, including my 1675 Pepsi. This probably conveys how bad I wanted a good condition full set RedSub without dipping into my cash funds.

Thanks again TRF for introducing me to the Red Submariner 1680.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leather.jpg (141.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 15 April 2014, 03:43 PM   #110
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
YEA, The Red is yours!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2014, 07:26 PM   #111
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, this thread has run it's course. Yes, I am wearing the Red 1680 every day, and I sold a few watches, including my 1675 Pepsi. This probably conveys how bad I wanted a good condition full set RedSub without dipping into my cash funds.

Thanks again TRF for introducing me to the Red Submariner 1680.
A beautiful looking piece. Nice bezel fade! Worth the loss of the other pieces IMO...