The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 February 2016, 05:49 PM   #1
PeterWM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner C 1971
Sunk the Red Sub……

Hi I’m new to the forums ( and everything else you'll think once you've read this note ). It's a fantastic resource for someone like me – who’s just made a whopping blunder.

I took my 1970 Red Sub for a swim – but with the Crown not fully wound down. To make it worse It was a week before I could get the watch to a watchmaker to open and clean.

I’m faced with having to try and salvage as much as I can – I bought the watch for my 21st birthday some 45+ years ago and we are old friends so I’m not about to give up – though I know very little about how to recover.

I guess that’s what I’m looking for – some sensible starters …. I’ve read what others have done in a general sense – but I should describe as well as I can the damage.

The watch was 7 days with salt water in it and I’m told by the guy who opened the watch for me that the movement is unable to be rescued? I would like to know how to check that and are no parts salvageable …and if that path is truly a dead end .

The Dial has also suffered some water damage though not bad – the worst is a lifting of a small amount of surface material on the very edge of the dial.
I guess I would like to also tune into the forum’s restoration sensibilities – how much repair and how much replacement how to maintain the “trueness” of the watch while getting it back on the road. I’ll send pix of the damage once I get a camera that is good enough to give a clear image.

From reading the Forums there seems to be two approaches – repair and accept the visual damage ( If that’s even possible with a movement 7 days under salt water )… or Rebuild .

Rebuilding seems to involve having the Dial re-finished and a replacement movement - 1575 I think from my reading - and put it back together. I’m living in Australia and we have limited choice for Watchmakers with access to Rolex parts (New or Used) so I’m guessing - alot. I’d also like some pointers as to where to find recommendations ( don’t know if you are allowed ) for repairers and where to have the jobs done once direction is established- then how to get replacement movements, parts .....

Please excuse the length of the report – thanks for reading it all – I’m grateful for any suggestions. I'm just trying; amongst the shock of my stupidity - to get my recovery direction.
Regards and thanks again

Peter
Old 10 February 2016, 09:21 PM   #2
28A
"TRF" Member

Paul Watson at Inside Time at Springwood (In Brisbane) is absolutely an incredible watchmaker and will give you some solid information on it. He is pretty snowed under but might make an exception to something like that, with the damage and all to stop it getting any worse..

You should post some pictures so we can see what the damage is exactly.
Old 10 February 2016, 10:03 PM   #3
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Pictures would help us assess the damage and give advice.

Sorry to hear this happened, but most watches are able to be saved after water ingress even after years of sitting around.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 11 February 2016, 03:12 AM   #4
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Ouch, very sorry to hear!! Please post some pictures. Hopefully you can preserve the dial as a lot of the value of the Red 1680 is in the dial.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 11 February 2016, 03:36 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Condolences. Good luck in rescuing your "old friend." It will be worth it in the end. It doesn't sound as if you were ever interested in selling the watch anyway, so getting her back up and running is the most important thing. Would be interested to see some photos.
Old 11 February 2016, 03:46 AM   #6
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Hi ,May I suggest you contact Jedley1 on here he is a expert on vintage Rolex and is always in Australia , He will know who to speak with and I am sure he will gladly help
Old 11 February 2016, 05:37 AM   #7
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Wow. That does not sound salvageable but crazier things have happened. I'd contact the gents suggested and you never know. Very best of luck!
Old 11 February 2016, 06:18 AM   #8
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear! I'm interested though to see it all fixed up again. Good luck.
Old 11 February 2016, 06:52 AM   #9
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Very sorry to hear this. Please get that watch to an expert soon to evaluate. Hard to provide any direction without pictures. Movements can almost always be fixed, but the dial and hands are more difficult to solve.
Old 11 February 2016, 10:48 PM   #10
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

a damn shame...
i would love to see some pics of the whole process....
how did she look
how doe she look now
after the spa

good luck in restoring that baby !
Old 12 February 2016, 01:47 AM   #11
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with the recommendations: save the original dial if it is at all possible. A donor movement will either furnish all the correct parts, or can be swapped in. Salt water is one of the most damaging things that can happen to a fine watch BUT the techniques of repair and refurbishment have become quite advanced. Good luck with your restoration!
Old 12 February 2016, 03:57 AM   #12
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
OUCH! I hope everything works out for the best...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 12 February 2016, 05:36 AM   #13
SearChart
TechXpert

Very sorry to hear, hope you can save the dial and hands.
Old 12 February 2016, 07:32 AM   #14
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Don't loose hope...it can be resurrected, it just comes down to how much you want to spend. A white Sub service dial is always an option, unless you can source an original red Sub dial (ouch!!!).
Please keep us updated and best of luck...we're here for you...
Old 12 February 2016, 07:50 AM   #15
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
Don't worry! Is horrible when happens but can be solve! Sure you will find the person to help you and you will have a new story to add to your watch history!!
Just be patient!
Old 13 February 2016, 01:03 AM   #16
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
good advise above. movements are plentiful for the watch, dials are not. Most other parts are salvageable. good luck
Old 17 February 2016, 09:55 PM   #17
Xantiagib
"TRF" Member

a similar thing happened to my wife and her 70s datejust...

we took it as soon as we could to the AD, who cleaned up the dial as best they could, replacing most of the movent parts as it needed a service anyway....

The lume on the dial went black and the balance staff broke - as the repair was guarranteed they sent it off back to Rolex and it came back new.... they kept the dial (still some slight spots of corrosion remain) but they relumed it and the hands and possible replaced the movement I'm not sure...
Old 18 February 2016, 01:41 AM   #18
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Even with the crown unscrewed and pulled out it should still be sealed so I dont get how water is supposed to have got in!
Old 18 February 2016, 07:37 AM   #19
Paul
"TRF" Member

Welcome Peter ..... and condolences ...

Sorry to hear the sad story Peter but all is not lost. Easy enough to source a replacement movement and fingers crossed that the dial and hands have survived.

As a temporary distraction, I recommend a blast in the Ozzie sunshine in that fine Healey with a couple of ice-cold stubbies waiting when you get home
Old 18 February 2016, 01:23 PM   #20
Mr JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610N
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWM View Post
Hi I’m new to the forums ( and everything else you'll think once you've read this note ). It's a fantastic resource for someone like me – who’s just made a whopping blunder.

I took my 1970 Red Sub for a swim – but with the Crown not fully wound down. To make it worse It was a week before I could get the watch to a watchmaker to open and clean.

I’m faced with having to try and salvage as much as I can – I bought the watch for my 21st birthday some 45+ years ago and we are old friends so I’m not about to give up – though I know very little about how to recover.

I guess that’s what I’m looking for – some sensible starters …. I’ve read what others have done in a general sense – but I should describe as well as I can the damage.

The watch was 7 days with salt water in it and I’m told by the guy who opened the watch for me that the movement is unable to be rescued? I would like to know how to check that and are no parts salvageable …and if that path is truly a dead end .

The Dial has also suffered some water damage though not bad – the worst is a lifting of a small amount of surface material on the very edge of the dial.
I guess I would like to also tune into the forum’s restoration sensibilities – how much repair and how much replacement how to maintain the “trueness” of the watch while getting it back on the road. I’ll send pix of the damage once I get a camera that is good enough to give a clear image.

From reading the Forums there seems to be two approaches – repair and accept the visual damage ( If that’s even possible with a movement 7 days under salt water )… or Rebuild .

Rebuilding seems to involve having the Dial re-finished and a replacement movement - 1575 I think from my reading - and put it back together. I’m living in Australia and we have limited choice for Watchmakers with access to Rolex parts (New or Used) so I’m guessing - alot. I’d also like some pointers as to where to find recommendations ( don’t know if you are allowed ) for repairers and where to have the jobs done once direction is established- then how to get replacement movements, parts .....

Please excuse the length of the report – thanks for reading it all – I’m grateful for any suggestions. I'm just trying; amongst the shock of my stupidity - to get my recovery direction.
Regards and thanks again

Peter
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate damage, what state are you in?
There are two well know and respected watchmakers in Sydney, otherwise I'd bite the bullet and send to Bob Ridley. Keep us posted with how you get on
Old 20 February 2016, 04:47 PM   #21
PeterWM
"TRF" Member

Sunk the red sub - Chapter 2 and images

First I should say how reassuring it is to have a forum to demostrate the blunder to. So thank you very much for all who replied.
In Chapter 2 we recover the watch from interim watch maker ( who was a little offended I think), we take photo's and publish and go on the search for the components of a repair.
First the photo's - I've included a few - and some of them are repeats with natural light, incandescent and flash - they each show different aspects better.
I'd like to know from the group on a scale of 1-10 "How bad is this" 1-OK -10 - Stuffed.

From what I've read the best method is to 1 Find experienced Wath Repair guy
2 Purchase replacement 1570 movement, plus try and sell some of the left over components to defray costs 3 See if the dial can be repaired to maintain authenticity. Would you comment on broad shape of plan?
Special thanks to Kiwi who reccomended drive in the country and a course of stubbies..
Regards Peter and thanks for your interest.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedSub1.jpg (141.6 KB, 1821 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub2.jpg (111.9 KB, 1795 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub3.jpg (134.3 KB, 1817 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub4.jpg (130.0 KB, 1814 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub5.jpg (150.0 KB, 1821 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub6.jpg (122.1 KB, 1834 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub7.jpg (91.6 KB, 1820 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub8.jpg (154.5 KB, 1819 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub9.jpg (140.1 KB, 1819 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub10.jpg (153.5 KB, 1810 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub11.jpg (156.7 KB, 1829 views)
Old 21 February 2016, 04:40 AM   #22
05carbondrz
Banned

Ouch!! To me that dial is Toast,Michael Young may be able to make it halfway presentable but it will still be obviously damaged.
Old 21 February 2016, 05:47 AM   #23
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Ouch!! To me that dial is Toast,Michael Young may be able to make it halfway presentable but it will still be obviously damaged.
ditto Michael Young , I have seen some of his work its very very good
Old 21 February 2016, 06:10 AM   #24
timnik
"TRF" Member

"A course of stubbies" my me chuckle:
Old 21 February 2016, 10:25 AM   #25
PeterWM
"TRF" Member

Sunk teh Red Sub ... More images of Dial

Thanks for comments - We're building a catlogue of possible 'engineers" for the Job . I've managed to get the face free from the winder and out of the case so I can show a clearer view of the extent of damage.
regards

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedSub12.jpg (135.7 KB, 1665 views)
File Type: jpg RedSub13.jpg (116.0 KB, 1650 views)
Old 21 February 2016, 04:37 PM   #26
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

You might not need to replace the entire movement, although if you find good at a fair price, go for it.
But a good watchmaker with a Rolex parts account can decide which parts need replacing and which are still usable....Afterall, during a full service, the entire movement is dis-assembled to all the individual parts and whatever needs replacing is ordered by part number.
Old 21 February 2016, 11:11 PM   #27
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

jesus

why did you go swimming with a red sub..... expensive lesson
Old 21 February 2016, 11:38 PM   #28
UNLVino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15203 & 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
jesus

why did you go swimming with a red sub..... expensive lesson
why not? That's what the thing is made for - the lesson learned is to always check to ensure the crown is down.

Hope OP get's it up and running and looking good again - it will have some character when complete.
Old 22 February 2016, 12:09 AM   #29
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
can someone please explain why a triplock crown unscrewed would let in water whilst swimming? isn't it more likely that all the seals were shot?
Old 22 February 2016, 04:21 AM   #30
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLVino View Post
why not? That's what the thing is made for - the lesson learned is to always check to ensure the crown is down.

Hope OP get's it up and running and looking good again - it will have some character when complete.
This Thread is why not.
Closed Thread