The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 May 2018, 12:15 AM   #61
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
Sadly I think 18k for full set isn’t going to get ya there for very long. At least for a nice example. Crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It sure is crazy!

Must be a surge in demand - considering supply has always been limited(or at least consistent). Prices will nose dive when the next GFC hits. If it hits.

Last edited by liljctl; 1 May 2018 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 12:44 AM   #62
Ticked_off
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
It sure is crazy!

Must be a surge in demand - considering supply has always been limited(or at least consistent). Prices will nose dive when the next GFC hits. If it hits.
That's exactly what I think as well.
It will hit, it's just a matter of time and how much of the world it effects.
It almost feels like the luxury watch market (especially Rolex) may be in a bit of a bubble because of its monumental price gains. People see it makes them money so this draws the speculators and the people collecting for all the wrong reasons. Any sign of weakness in the market and they'll all start selling....
Take the 16710 for example. That thing is stupidly expensive for what it is. I've owned a couple and it's a great watch, in great condition, but I've always ended up selling them. There are literally millions of them out there, yet they're hyped as being a future collectible and are now selling in the $10000 range in poorer condition. They'd be one of the watch to take the hardest hit, I believe. But we shall see...
One things for sure; Vintage and reputable second hand dealers are laughing all the way to the bank right now!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Ticked_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 02:29 AM   #63
Timrolexnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Congrats. beautiful
Timrolexnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 02:32 AM   #64
AndyWright
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Do you actually wear it? Unless its gathering dust (and money) in a drawer, I do not understand the obsession. I'd rather have a shiny new toy...
AndyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 01:48 PM   #65
avilhena
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.L.E.X View Post
To each their own but if you buy a watch for 30% of its price you're doing it for your own gain, not to satisfy both parties. Clearly the seller was happy because they had no idea of the value of the watch but in my opinion this is not ethical.
The seller was happy and the buyer is happy! No harm done! I think you did great OP!
Old 1 May 2018, 03:52 PM   #66
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Very nice pick up OP! Condition is stunning and the box is very nice bonus, :)

Good work all around (I think you did the right thing considering the circumstances).
Old 2 May 2018, 03:56 AM   #67
Silvio_86
"TRF" Member

Congrats for your watch.... but.....Am I the only one that believes that all this NOS vintage models with these stunning chamfers are only laser welded old abused watches? the level of the chamfers does not match with the wear of the bracelet imho
Silvio_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 03:57 AM   #68
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Incoming! My best / luckiest purchase ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio_86 View Post
Congrats for your watch.... but.....Am I the only one that believes that all this NOS vintage models with these stunning chamfers are only laser welded old abused watches? the level of the chamfers does not match with the wear of the bracelet imho

Bracelet is not original to the watch. Also RSC and local AD Says condition is all original and hasn’t been touched. This was just a very lucky find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 04:07 AM   #69
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Nice!
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 04:32 AM   #70
Silvio_86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
Bracelet is not original to the watch. Also RSC and local AD Says condition is all original and hasn’t been touched. This was just a very lucky find.

This was what I meant for the bracelet. Anyway I can show pics of laser welded chamfers that cannot be spotted... only chance is to saw cut the case to check for the weld layer... anyway this is not your case, since you want to keep the watch XD
Anyway another clue to the re-done case is the non original bracelet imho... a perfect watch with a replaced bracelet... sounds very strange
Silvio_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 06:21 AM   #71
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
To each their own but if you buy a watch for 30% of its price you're doing it for your own gain, not to satisfy both parties. Clearly the seller was happy because they had no idea of the value of the watch but in my opinion this is not ethical.
I buy stuff from dealers all the time and flip it, most recently a Rolex Pocket watch, paid $225, expected it to bring 6-7, it brought 500. still doubled my money in 8 days. I got a breitling for half of it's market value 2 months ago. some guy just posted about getting a $30-40,000 GMT for 1/3-1/2 it's value. just being in the right place at the right time really. because if he didn't buy it, he would be in the first pawn shop he could find afterward trying to get 3500 and talked down to 2,500. It's only business.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 06:27 AM   #72
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Watch: 79090 & 79180
Quote:
The watch just sold for approx 29k CAD on a Canadian watch forum today. I'm all for the free market, but also can't help but think the original owner got hosed hard on this deal. I guess everyone has their own definition of ethics....
Thegr8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 06:31 AM   #73
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegr8one View Post
The watch just sold for approx 29k CAD on a Canadian watch forum today. I'm all for the free market, but also can't help but think the original owner got hosed hard on this deal. I guess everyone has their own definition of ethics....

I was hard set on keeping this piece. I spoke to many other CWC forum members before buying it and they told me a 5513 value that isn’t metres first goes for 10-12k. This one didn’t have original bracelet or papers so I offered the guy what I thought was a fair deal. And I even offered more than what he asked. Later a couple people offer a large amount of money even though I fully disclosed what I paid. And now knowing it’s actual value (based on condition alone) I probably would never even wear it after putting in much thought. So Why would I say no to that? I’ve seen you comment negatively on my posts before, and being a fellow Canadian that upsets me a little. So quick to pass judgement when you don’t know the whole story. So please, next time you think about making another comment. Don’t

Old 2 May 2018, 06:42 AM   #74
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was hard set on keeping this piece. I spoke to many other CWC forum members before buying it and they told me a 5513 value that isn’t metres first goes for 10-12k. This one didn’t have original bracelet or papers so I offered the guy what I thought was a fair deal. And I even offered more than what he asked. Later a couple people offer a large amount of money even though I fully disclosed what I paid. And now knowing it’s actual value (based on condition alone) I probably would never even wear it after putting in much thought. So Why would I say no to that? I’ve seen you comment negatively on my posts before, and being a fellow Canadian that upsets me a little. So quick to pass judgement when you don’t know the whole story. So please, next time you think about making another comment. Don’t

I'm not allowed to call out a fellow Canadian when I see a shady deal? You're the one on a public forum spouting how you paid 5k for a watch that you just flipped a few days later for 29k. If that's not taking advantage of someone I don't know what is. If you didn't want comments, why are you on a public forum sharing the details?

Here's a suggestion, why don't you take half of your profit and gift it back to the guy? That would be the fair thing to do wouldn't it?

I must say though, it is a gorgeous watch....
Old 2 May 2018, 06:50 AM   #75
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm not allowed to call out a fellow Canadian when I see a shady deal? You're the one on a public forum spouting how you paid 5k for a watch that you just flipped a few days later for 29k. If that's not taking advantage of someone I don't know what is. If you didn't want comments, why are you on a public forum sharing the details?

Here's a suggestion, why don't you take half of your profit and gift it back to the guy? That would be the fair thing to do wouldn't it?

I must say though, it is a gorgeous watch....

And how do you know that I am not planning to do that? Or something similar?. I comment and share information on here because I know fellow enthusiasts appreciate it. Also, the people who offered to buy at that price knew what I paid for t and they didn’t seem to think it was shady. It’s negative, I’ll informed comments like yours that ruin the integrity of this forum and its members. You have no idea what I’m doing with the $ or previous owner. So do yourself and everyone else a favour and stay quiet, only speak when you have something useful to say and you’re not trying to ruin the reputation of others around you

Old 2 May 2018, 07:08 AM   #76
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
What a beauty!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 07:10 AM   #77
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And how do you know that I am not planning to do that? Or something similar?. I comment and share information on here because I know fellow enthusiasts appreciate it. Also, the people who offered to buy at that price knew what I paid for t and they didn’t seem to think it was shady. It’s negative, I’ll informed comments like yours that ruin the integrity of this forum and its members. You have no idea what I’m doing with the $ or previous owner. So do yourself and everyone else a favour and stay quiet, only speak when you have something useful to say and you’re not trying to ruin the reputation of others around you

Andre,

1. Nothing I have said is ill informed. Everything is factually based off of this thread and your sales thread from canwatchco.
2. You are right in the fact that I do not know what your plan is with the profit. All I can go by is your comments that you paid 5k, sold it for 29k and bought the guy a bottle of booze to say thanks. No indication you would split any profits. Maybe you will do the right thing. I hope you do.
3. I am not trying to ruin anyone's reputation. The other thread I called you out on was an explorer that had condensation under the crystal that you originally listed as in perfect working order. You posted info about that watch here on TRF and sold it on canwatch very soon after. You only changed the sales listing after I called you out on it.

I think deep down you wouldn't be so bothered by my comments if there wasn't some truth to them. I think you know deep down you took advantage of the seller but it's up to you alone how you handle it moving forward. You cannot get bent out of shape for taking some negative comments when you are posting on public forums. It's open season my friend so next time think hard about what you decide to tell the watch world.
Old 2 May 2018, 07:16 AM   #78
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Andre,

1. Nothing I have said is ill informed. Everything is factually based off of this thread and your sales thread from canwatchco.

2. You are right in the fact that I do not know what your plan is with the profit. All I can go by is your comments that you paid 5k, sold it for 29k and bought the guy a bottle of booze to say thanks. No indication you would split any profits. Maybe you will do the right thing. I hope you do.

3. I am not trying to ruin anyone's reputation. The other thread I called you out on was an explorer that had condensation under the crystal that you originally listed as in perfect working order. You posted info about that watch here on TRF and sold it on canwatch very soon after. You only changed the sales listing after I called you out on it.

I think deep down you wouldn't be so bothered by my comments if there wasn't some truth to them. I think you know deep down you took advantage of the seller but it's up to you alone how you handle it moving forward. You cannot get bent out of shape for taking some negative comments when you are posting on public forums. It's open season my friend so next time think hard about what you decide to tell the watch world.

Why not message me and talk to me about these things before blasting me publicly? Maybe I can shine some light on your assumptions. I get upset because who in their right might would deliberately go out of their way to make someone look bad based on half of the facts. That sir is unethical, not what I am doing.

I am currently talking to my jeweller who set up this deal and he is telling me he prefers to not disclose the sellers information because the seller does not want to be in direct contact which is why he dropped it to my jeweller in the first place for him to sell it. My jeweller was the middle man for this deal. I also do not want to just hand the jeweller cash in hopes that he gives it to this guy. If I don’t receive his info I will be making a donation to charity. That was my plan all along. But instead of you messaging me and saying “hey man, what’re you gonna do with the $ u made from this watch”!?. You called me out like a prick.

That would offend anyone, not just me

Old 2 May 2018, 07:18 AM   #79
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 16570
Quote:
Andre,

Seems like you can’t let this go for some reason. Different people see things differently; what’s new under the sun? There’s zero reason for you to start judging someone else. Repeatedly. I read this forum for the kind of material in the original post, not for negative comments. My $0.02

mgd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 07:23 AM   #80
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd55 View Post
Seems like you can’t let this go for some reason. Different people see things differently; what’s new under the sun? There’s zero reason for you to start judging someone else. Repeatedly. I read this forum for the kind of material in the original post, not for negative comments. My $0.02

x2 I love hearing of these "barn finds" so to speak.

OP, Go out and enjoy a nice dinner with a good glass of scotch or a fine wine and enjoy the other $23,900 you just pocketed realistically I think it's jealousy that drives half these white knight posters.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 07:23 AM   #81
Ticked_off
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
I buy stuff from dealers all the time and flip it, most recently a Rolex Pocket watch, paid $225, expected it to bring 6-7, it brought 500. still doubled my money in 8 days. I got a breitling for half of it's market value 2 months ago. some guy just posted about getting a $30-40,000 GMT for 1/3-1/2 it's value. just being in the right place at the right time really. because if he didn't buy it, he would be in the first pawn shop he could find afterward trying to get 3500 and talked down to 2,500. It's only business.
This is why I'm getting away from collecting. I'm happy with what I've attained over the past 10 years and I'll be sticking with it. I don't care that my collection is worth 50% more than it was 3 years ago, because in order to replace a piece, I have to spend even more on the next watch. It's all capitalism at this point. Same as our housing market in the better cities. Buy it, flip it for profit, repeat. Over and over. No body does it for passion of the hobby anymore.
It's the whole reason prices have spiked the way they have. "Oh! Look, there's money to be made, let's exploit it!"
It's no fun anymore guys.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Ticked_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 07:25 AM   #82
donsidhu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Sub
In my honest opinion it's the original owners own fault for not taking the time and being proactive to find out what his watch is worth. This is an incredible story and to me illustrates the magic of this great hobby.

donsidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 07:25 AM   #83
saskmh
"TRF" Member

You guys should see the rippings that happen on other forums lol... we see people tear into watches and criticize the hell out of them all the time on here. People have been questioned, arguments have ensued...Isn't that part of being on the forum?
Old 2 May 2018, 07:26 AM   #84
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
You guys should see the rippings that happen on other forums lol... we see people tear into watches and criticize the hell out of them all the time on here. People have been questioned, arguments have ensued...Isn't that part of being on the forum?

Definitely not why I’m on this forum I tell you that

Old 2 May 2018, 07:28 AM   #85
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

I honestly can tell you and everyone following this thread whole heartedly, that I did not buy this watch with the intention to flip. And that’s all I can really say. So I guess judge me, and think what you want

Old 2 May 2018, 07:35 AM   #86
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And this is why my earlier post rings true.

You purchased a highly liquid asset at a significant discount to the market value from a seller who was entirely unaware of it's value. Sure, watch dealers do this for a living but to those with consideration for others and financial literacy it is daylight robbery.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 07:38 AM   #87
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
And this is why my earlier post rings true.

You purchased a highly liquid asset at a significant discount to the market value from a seller who was entirely unaware of it's value. Sure, watch dealers do this for a living but to those with consideration for others and financial literacy it is daylight robbery.

What don’t you understand that at the time of purchase, based on my knowledge, I did not consider it a significant discount..

I’m taking a break from this forum and some of it’s ridiculously judgemental, arrogant members for a while.

Get a life

Old 2 May 2018, 07:38 AM   #88
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What don’t you understand that at the time of purchase, based on my knowledge, I did not consider it a significant discount..

I’m taking a break from this forum and some of it’s ridiculously judgemental, arrogant members for a while.

Get a life

I am sure the seller would of loved to of had more money to pass down to his grand children.
Old 2 May 2018, 07:41 AM   #89
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am sure the seller would of loved to of had more money to pass down to his grand children.

You’re acting like this seller spent his time researching the watches value, made sure that he knew that condition of the watch adds more value (substantially). Spoke to a million collectors before selling. And I just threw him a huge lowball offer and stole it from is hands...

This was OBVIOUSLY not the case

Grow up

Old 2 May 2018, 07:42 AM   #90
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re acting like this seller spent his time researching the watches value, made sure that he knew that condition of the watch adds more value (substantially). Spoke to a million collectors before selling. And I just threw him a huge lowball offer and stole it from is hands...

This was OBVIOUSLY not the case

Grow up

In life, there are values you should follow which go above and beyond what is legally required of you.