The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2014, 12:37 AM   #1
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Hope I made the right choice. Incoming!

In a effort to diversify my watch collection even further, I have decided to add a Panerai 510. I have tried on many models and discovered this is my best choice based on a few things.... I want a open case back, no bigger than 44mm, in house movement and priced under 9k. I looked at the 111 but is too thick and does not have a in house movt. Plus, it is now discontinued. A bonus is that it comes with a strap I really like (a lot of them do not). I have put in an order from my AD for a new 510 in the box (I have found a couple 510's at AD's but they all have scratches on them and some pretty bad. I guess they bang them into other watches while putting them away in the safe every night). Hopefully I am only gonna have to wait another week on no longer.:bang head:

Will upload pics once I get it.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
yld2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 12:41 AM   #2
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
You have some nice watches listed in signature. Nothing wrong with mixing up the collection and changing it up. I do this regularly, there is always another better/different watch out there waiting for you...
Old 23 January 2014, 12:58 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

the 510 is an excellent choice! with the 111 almost (?) gone, it's going to be a bread-and-butter OP model. some do not like the "8 DAYS" text, but, that's not the the case with you.

i'm not really sure what you mean by the 111 being too thick, but the 510 being okay, since the 510 is basically a 111 with an 8-day in-house movement (and the words "8 DAYS" written on the dial).

regarding straps at the AD, a lot of ADs will let you either swap straps of the same value or give you an extra strap or two to sweeten the deal.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 01:05 AM   #4
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

I don't think they have discon the 111 yet...

It's a very popular Marina entry level. Just like the Base 0.

510 is a very nice piece. I much prefer the 564 instead, it being Titanium.

Congrats. looking forward to some wrist shots.

Cheers.
Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 01:10 AM   #5
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
the 510 is an excellent choice! with the 111 almost (?) gone, it's going to be a bread-and-butter OP model. some do not like the "8 DAYS" text, but, that's not the the case with you.

i'm not really sure what you mean by the 111 being too thick, but the 510 being okay, since the 510 is basically a 111 with an 8-day in-house movement (and the words "8 DAYS" written on the dial).

regarding straps at the AD, a lot of ADs will let you either swap straps of the same value or give you an extra strap or two to sweeten the deal.
I do not mind it saying 8 Days. With a new SIHH 2014 560 model release, it won't be called the base model at least. I have been told the 510 is thinner than the 111 due to the p5000 movement. Felt thinner too. I have to look up the specs.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
Old 23 January 2014, 01:11 AM   #6
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor66 View Post
You have some nice watches listed in signature. Nothing wrong with mixing up the collection and changing it up. I do this regularly, there is always another better/different watch out there waiting for you...
Thanks. So true. I am sure Rolex will release another must have watch for me at Basel this year.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
Old 23 January 2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yld2rob View Post
I do not mind it saying 8 Days. With a new SIHH 2014 560 model release, it won't be called the base model at least. I have been told the 510 is thinner than the 111 due to the p5000 movement. Felt thinner too. I have to look up the specs.

in panerai speak, a "base" model is simply one with two hands. if you mean "entry level", the 111 is among those i suppose (along with 000, 005, etc.), but, i don't like to use that term for watches that cost thousands and thousands.

regarding the 510 thickness, that's really interesting. size is obviously part of panerai, but, a little thinner is a good thing, IMHO.

looking forward to pix of your new beauty.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 01:24 AM   #8
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
in panerai speak, a "base" model is simply one with two hands. if you mean "entry level", the 111 is among those i suppose (along with 000, 005, etc.), but, i don't like to use that term for watches that cost thousands and thousands.

regarding the 510 thickness, that's really interesting. size is obviously part of panerai, but, a little thinner is a good thing, IMHO.

looking forward to pix of your new beauty.
Thanks for clearing that up. Still learning about Panerai. I have 6.5 inch wrist and prefer the watch not to be too large or thick. I agree, I little thinner is a good thing IMO.

Hopefully soon!
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
Old 23 January 2014, 01:24 AM   #9
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Well the 560 series are indeed a mix of the Base and the Marinas...

Base are the ones with minute and hour hands.
Marinas are the one with the second hand on top of the minute and hour hands.

Cheers.
Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Leeh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'es are fun
I picked up a 510 very recently and love it. Now just waiting for them to come out with a base logo with that movement.
Leeh is offline   Reply With Quote