The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2021, 06:39 AM   #181
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Since AD's are frequently the source for Grey's, I wouldn't worry about it.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 07:00 AM   #182
xekret
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
What about the 2nd hand market?

If you buy a used watch from a member here you can't wear it into the AD?

LOOOL
As long as its not a current, in demand model.
xekret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 07:25 AM   #183
yukosaturno
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Ad's are usually terrible, buying brand new, today, makes absolutely no sense.
yukosaturno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 07:59 AM   #184
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
"Where did you buy the GMT from?"

"Elsewhere."

"...but where?"

"I'd rather not say, as the grey-market dealer shops here."

See the expression on their faces.

This is great! I'm going to say this as ADs always ask me where i got my GMT.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 08:15 AM   #185
Bort
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystro View Post
they are one step from working at burger king and the fact rolex is streamlining their dealerships and there is little for them to sell should have them nervous and insecure.

They are there to service customers with a retail sale so the fact that they can’t even do that makes them insignificant to you. You wised up and flexed your luxury buying muscle by buying your watch around them. Great move. Next time just tell them “their inventory inadequacies don’t match your lifestyle.”
+1
Good move by walking out without making a purchase for your girlfriend.
I wouldn't have tolerated their fake snobbery either.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 08:18 AM   #186
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Just to see their faces you should have dropped “Im sorry, I really thought you’d be ok with me sharing this since the warranty card is stamped Wempe, NYC”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 08:20 AM   #187
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
They've become a pack of self important piss ants.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 08:28 AM   #188
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
They've become a pack of self important piss ants.

Should get on well with a lot of the folk on here then.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 08:29 AM   #189
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I agree with you and used to do the same in my travels....

But, what I sensed coming...and even wrote a post about it a number of years ago, was that Rolex was too available for the luxury image that the brand was promoting along with the changes that were forming in the lux market.

Rolex was everywhere. Cases full of watches. Dealers in many malls. Watches available through grey market at 15% or higher discounts NIB with stickers. They were ubiquitous.

But a lot has changed since then. As monies started to flow through the digital economy and sources not even imagined a decade earlier, high price alone wasn't enough to build the exclusivity that lux buyers demanded. So brands that adjusted their distribution and possibly production strategy are over the moon right now. Those that haven't are simply ignored by the market.
Lol that is the post that makes me laugh the most in this whole forum. I remember you complaining about how Rolex was to easy and you didn’t want them because it was to easy I think i have the link somewhere. Here it is https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=342567
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 09:14 AM   #190
Bluesy
"TRF" Member

I could not care less about what they say at my ad. I ask them for the watch I want. If they can deliver I buy from them. If they can not I buy it elsewhere. And of course I sometimes wear watches I have bought elsewhere when I visit them.
Bluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 09:17 AM   #191
Loxotime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
“Building a relationship with and AD” is a coercive way to make you buy what you don’t want and they don’t sell in order to get what you want. It’s the most aggressive marketing strategy that I’ve ever seen, this would not last and definitely is hurting the brand and the market. Do yourself a favor, don’t go to that store ever again.
Loxotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 09:19 AM   #192
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
Lol that is the post that makes me laugh the most in this whole forum. I remember you complaining about how Rolex was to easy and you didn’t want them because it was to easy I think i have the link somewhere. Here it is https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=342567

Wow enjoyed reading that thread. How times have changed! IWC scarce and hard to get watches!! Too many SS Rolexes available!! Boring to go to an AD!

Well at least that hasn’t changed. Empty cases are also boring to look at.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 10:18 AM   #193
Dudman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub -116610LN
AD: "where did you get that BLNR?"
Me: " let me get your name and number on my list and I tell you in about 10 months"
Dudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 10:38 AM   #194
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxotime View Post
“Building a relationship with and AD” is a coercive way to make you buy what you don’t want and they don’t sell in order to get what you want. It’s the most aggressive marketing strategy that I’ve ever seen, this would not last and definitely is hurting the brand and the market. Do yourself a favor, don’t go to that store ever again.
Nobody is ever forced to buy a watch he doesn't want. No AD has EVER asked or even hinted I should consider purchasing a watch in which I'm not interested. Never happened. EVER!

The AD wants a customer who will consolidate his purchases with one AD. So, you'll buy a BLNR today, and a Datejust after that, and a YM after that, and a SD43 after that, and a Day-Date after that. They don't want you to split your purchases... and they don't want to poach a customer who already has shown a tendency to purchase from another AD.

Why would WEMPE give someone a BLNR when that customer is likely to go back to their first AD or grey to buy more expensive pieces?

That is what an AD means by building a relationship.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 10:56 AM   #195
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Not much to prove - in Taiwan I have been offered several otherwise unavailable models for MSRP + cash deals at an AD. The SA consulted a handwritten set of notes with the required premium for various models. Declined politely.

They’re not allowed to do that so there’s nothing libellous about naming the AD.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 11:27 AM   #196
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
Almost 7yrs ago. I knew it couldn’t go on like that. There was a total glut of product and luxury isn’t about ubiquity.

I took a beating back then...lol.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 12:05 PM   #197
jhew
"TRF" Member

it's your $$$ and you decide where and what to spend. Period.
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 01:02 PM   #198
justin81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Screw them
justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 01:25 PM   #199
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Walk into that AD store with an Omega to buy Rolex. You might have walked out with your SS Rolex or at least you might have been treated with respect.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 01:43 PM   #200
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsh8432 View Post
Last week I finally broke down from playing the AD game and purchased a BLNR GMT from DavidSW. As you'd expect, it has become my daily wear. Usually when I go into an AD, I wear my Bluesy Sub I purchased new at an AD. Yesterday was different, however. I left my house with my girlfriend for a walk with no intention of other shopping, but decided to pop into an AD to have her try on a few of the smaller OP watches. I was wearing my new BLNR and the salesperson immediately complimented the watch and asked when I got it. I just told them it was a gift for myself that I had received last week. They then asked "from where?" while starting to seem rude and accusatory. I told them, very politely, that after a 2 year hunt from AD's, I decided I couldn't live without the piece, so I purchased it on the secondary market. The vibe immediately changed from casual to feeling like I had stolen the watch. They explained that "some AD screwed up big time" and that they troll Chrono24 searching for flippers from this store to blacklist them. I can't speak for this AD in particular, but flipping is obviously not universally frowned upon, otherwise the grays dealers wouldn't be flooded with this inventory. They went on to say that what I failed to do was establish a buying relationship with that AD, which is where I started to get a little more annoyed. Obviously at this point, I wouldn't buy a thing from this AD, so I entertained their criticism. I explained that I, in fact, did have a relationship with this AD and had purchased a $15k Sub (which is a lot for me) from them and in the wake of that purchase was laughed off about getting myself in a position to purchase a BLNR. To which the salesperson said "Well one watch like that definitely isn't enough to establish a relationship". I brought up the point that this market puts true collectors like myself in a bad position because we have the money for one watch we truly want every so often, but aren't financially equipped to buy our way to a retail GMT. Especially when the terms of "establishing a relationship" are very vague. Their response and facial expression implied that maybe the brand really wasn't for me. At that point my girlfriend passed back the OP's she was trying on and we left.

Anywho, I was hoping to get the communities input on this. Did I do something wrong, was the salesperson out of line? I think I speak for everyone when I say it's a sad market out there for the true collector. I travel for a living and have probably been to 100 AD's minimum. I have never been treated like this.

total jerks enjoy your new watch!
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 02:27 PM   #201
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Screw ‘em as has been said. There are great AD’s and there are shit ones; these guys are the latter.

I would have played it slightly differently. Since you travel a lot, next time you should say that you have a great AD in xxxx city as you travel a lot. That AD came through for you and shipped you the watch. You’re now looking to shift your business local because you’re traveling a lot less, and if they’re happy to have your business then you’d keep that in that view. Starting with the OP your partner was interested in. My 2c.

Old 10 March 2021, 02:28 PM   #202
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Somehow I can’t imagine ever having that conversation
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 02:40 PM   #203
YoyoGift8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhew View Post
it's your $$$ and you decide where and what to spend. Period.
This!
YoyoGift8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 02:41 PM   #204
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsh8432 View Post
Last week I finally broke down from playing the AD game and purchased a BLNR GMT from DavidSW. As you'd expect, it has become my daily wear. Usually when I go into an AD, I wear my Bluesy Sub I purchased new at an AD. Yesterday was different, however. I left my house with my girlfriend for a walk with no intention of other shopping, but decided to pop into an AD to have her try on a few of the smaller OP watches. I was wearing my new BLNR and the salesperson immediately complimented the watch and asked when I got it. I just told them it was a gift for myself that I had received last week. They then asked "from where?" while starting to seem rude and accusatory. I told them, very politely, that after a 2 year hunt from AD's, I decided I couldn't live without the piece, so I purchased it on the secondary market. The vibe immediately changed from casual to feeling like I had stolen the watch. They explained that "some AD screwed up big time" and that they troll Chrono24 searching for flippers from this store to blacklist them. I can't speak for this AD in particular, but flipping is obviously not universally frowned upon, otherwise the grays dealers wouldn't be flooded with this inventory. They went on to say that what I failed to do was establish a buying relationship with that AD, which is where I started to get a little more annoyed. Obviously at this point, I wouldn't buy a thing from this AD, so I entertained their criticism. I explained that I, in fact, did have a relationship with this AD and had purchased a $15k Sub (which is a lot for me) from them and in the wake of that purchase was laughed off about getting myself in a position to purchase a BLNR. To which the salesperson said "Well one watch like that definitely isn't enough to establish a relationship". I brought up the point that this market puts true collectors like myself in a bad position because we have the money for one watch we truly want every so often, but aren't financially equipped to buy our way to a retail GMT. Especially when the terms of "establishing a relationship" are very vague. Their response and facial expression implied that maybe the brand really wasn't for me. At that point my girlfriend passed back the OP's she was trying on and we left.

Anywho, I was hoping to get the communities input on this. Did I do something wrong, was the salesperson out of line? I think I speak for everyone when I say it's a sad market out there for the true collector. I travel for a living and have probably been to 100 AD's minimum. I have never been treated like this.

Anyone got the cliff notes version in this?

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 02:44 PM   #205
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy996 View Post
Love DavidSW and congrats on the new BLNR.

DavidSW is more reliable than an ad

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote