The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 March 2021, 03:22 AM   #61
Mij
"TRF" Member

Fleet lord hit it on the money what he said. Sad but true
Mij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 03:29 AM   #62
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mij View Post
Fleet lord hit it on the money what he said. Sad but true
Thanks. It’s a tough pill to swallow and it touches a lot of nerves and bruises egos, but that’s how alotta dealers are managing their sales process.

It will get worse as Rolex will continue to cull smaller independent dealers in favor of large chain dealers.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 03:32 AM   #63
Mij
"TRF" Member

Totally. I been on the side reading TRF for way over 10 years. In a good note you always say it the way it is without sugar coating it
Mij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 03:34 AM   #64
DougFNJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 41 Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebenza View Post
Welcome to the new normal. ADs are in the driver's seat and this is now common behavior.

This is not the new normal, this was an arrogant SA with short sightedness and terrible client skills.

I went to 4 AD’s when I was looking for my Sub. Only 1 had this type of attitude. Actually told me to purchase a “relationship builder” watch to get a chance to purchase the watch I want down the road. The cost of a Rolex is a lot of money to a lot of people for a luxury item, including myself.

To me, the relationship builder is the rapport I build, and the long term value of my business down the road. The bubble WILL pop at some point. There will be a time again when you will be able to walk into an AD and purchase the model you want on the spot. The smart AD’s will know this and will treat you better than this “buy this, then MAYBE down the road I’ll let you buy that”.

Politeness, courtesy, and simple people skills go a long way on both sides of that counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 03:36 AM   #65
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Can you walk into DavidSW with a AD acquired Rolex .... ?

Nahh,just post it .

Love the trusteds ,keep my collection value high !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 03:38 AM   #66
dimag333
"TRF" Member

if I buy grey I actually text with the SA about it and joke about how I couldnt wait anylonger, as a matter of fact I am waiting on a blnr and texted her the blro I purchased grey. She knows the deal, you cant hold people hostage, the pendulum, will swing back on these folks, maybe not in the jewelry business but that frame of mind will start to take over other aspects of these peoples lives. Once you start being a pompous dick its hard to stop

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 03:51 AM   #67
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would never tell the source of my watch to an AD. Where is the upside to that. I cannot see any.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:00 AM   #68
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ve always been treated great the handful of times I’ve visited Wempe, sounds like you just got a bad SA. I don’t think I’ve ever been asked in prying terms where I got a watch I was wearing in any AD. Most just assume you bought it from a different dealer.

And to the people suggesting Wempe is “selling out the back door” you’re obviously not familiar with them. Perhaps the greatest collection of high end watch brands I have ever seen in one place. Not to mention that their Rolex only boutique across 5th Avenue in the Rolex Building is often recognized as the highest volume Rolex dealer in the US.
Yeah sure they’d risk giving that up to make a few extra bucks “selling out the back door.”
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:02 AM   #69
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
This is absolutely ridiculous. I do not go into a retail establishment to get lectured to by some sales person. Why not just yell at me for wearing an Omega while I'm shopping for a Rolex? Same thing, I bought it where they had what I wanted in stock. You didn't.

If it weren't my usual AD (I can't lie to him, he knows me too well) I'd just say "I bought it across the street last year." In the case of Wempe, I guess that would be Tourneau, right?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:21 AM   #70
tirefryer
"TRF" Member

Watch: One on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
The question to ask an AD when this comes up is:

Id really like to buy the watches I want from you. How can we make that a financially viable option...because right now the cost to establish a relationship is much more that the grey premium. Not confrontational, just matter of fact.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Very well stated - just pointing out the facts
tirefryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:21 AM   #71
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sounds ridiculous the way they judged you. Unprofessional in every way. I’m glad you wore your BLNR wherever you acquired it and showed them you don’t play games. Their loss and you ought to be proud of your acquisitions. I wouldn’t take my business back there.

There are good ADs out there. I have worn watches I purchased from other businesses to my AD (they only sell Rolex/Tudor/Breitling) and we burst out into conversation about what we like and dislike about the watch and talk about the brand.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:28 AM   #72
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Answering to a salesperson in the manner you describe is quite bizarre. I'm not sure what to make of it from either side really.
To your point, I always think of my AD first but I do not hesitate to buy elsewhere when it makes sense for any reason. A good partner does not expect or want you to suffer for their benefit and/or vice versa. As with most relationships, the key is honesty and good intentions rather than sly dealings and hidden agendas.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:30 AM   #73
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
"Where did you buy the GMT from?"

"Elsewhere."

"...but where?"

"I'd rather not say, as the grey-market dealer shops here."

See the expression on their faces.
Old 9 March 2021, 04:38 AM   #74
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Weird. I walked in with a white Daytona and got "oh wow!" and "that's the one everyone wants."

They were impressed that I liked it enough to pay $23K for it. They asked if I wanted the black dial and discussed what pieces would get me there.

This AD is rubbish. Run!
Old 9 March 2021, 04:45 AM   #75
karteo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post

"Elsewhere."

"...but where?"

karteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:48 AM   #76
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
OMG you actually held it so well together. I would have probably lost it waaaay earlier and storm out of their store. Can you share which AD that was? We also need to also those guys at the end of our list!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:51 AM   #77
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Thanks. It’s a tough pill to swallow and it touches a lot of nerves and bruises egos, but that’s how alotta dealers are managing their sales process.

It will get worse as Rolex will continue to cull smaller independent dealers in favor of large chain dealers.
Yup, being a “collector” means nothing to them. What matters is how much you spend to build the relationship. I think Wempe in NYC would require a lot to be considered for a SS professional piece.

To OP, you did nothing wrong and I’ve had similar experiences.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:55 AM   #78
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I’m sorry if this comes across harshly, but in the current market, AD such as Wempe have absolutely no interest in “every so often” or “aren’t financially equipped” buyers. They don’t want that business at all.

They want high spend, reoccurring purchases. In order to keep those individuals buying they must have the references that are limited in distribution available. They can’t “waste” the reference on an “every so often” opportunity. Simply cannot happen. They have to manage their scarce inventory and that is how they have chosen to do so.

I’m not condoning these strategies and policies, but that is what is happening with AD in this market.

As for whether you did anything wrong by revealing the source of your Pepsi to the AD, well it’s not “wrong” per se’ but I am curious as to what you expected their reaction to be? You seem surprised that it was negative....
Can't argue with any of this, but he was a customer of the store. Rolex is not so stupid to mandate a minimum spend for hot models, only that they sell to known customers, which he was. As you said, it was the AD that establishes the spend minimum as the barrier to entry for the SS models. I'm glad you rubbed it in their face OP.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:59 AM   #79
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post

"Elsewhere."

"...but where?"

Brilliant

This should be in a Sticky “thread” : How To Interact With An AD
Old 9 March 2021, 05:01 AM   #80
Robert Bruce
Banned

In truth, it was none of the AD's business where you got the watch. He should not have asked.
Robert Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:17 AM   #81
3 Putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
OP...given your answer to the AD, what was your strategy and expected outcome?

Last Fall, I was at a local AD looking for fun and was asked the exact same question as you while wearing my 116710BLNR that I purchased from a Trusted Seller years ago. I told them I use an AD in Chicago or one in OC California (I live in FL) even though I have never bought a Rolex from an AD. I know of dealers there, but have never bought anything. I also shared the other Rolex models I have including five digit and six digit ones to give them "proof" I truly loved watches and knew something about them.

I went on to say that I really want to build a relationship with my local dealers. But unfortunately, it seems impossible. I was offered a 126711CHNR one day later via phone. I had never been in the store. Maybe is was chance/luck. But managing perceptions can go along way in achieving a strategy. I still cannot stand AD's, but I do enjoy the challenge.

Just a suggested approach for the next time.
Old 9 March 2021, 05:20 AM   #82
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I only get a few here and there from my local AD even with a relationship going all the way back to 2012 so when I go I do try to wear one purchased from there. However there have been many many many times when I didnt, see my sig line , and my guy who is one of the managers totally gets it.

Recently when he knew I was coming in ahead of time asked me to wear my Sky-D because he hadnt seen one in a few years. Or at least thats what he told me

He's a watch nut like me. He gets it and so do I. I understand I am not on top of his list to call. I feel I get the "left overs" but they have all been SS Sports models.
Old 9 March 2021, 05:23 AM   #83
Sebenza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
This is not the new normal, this was an arrogant SA with short sightedness and terrible client skills.

I went to 4 AD’s when I was looking for my Sub. Only 1 had this type of attitude. Actually told me to purchase a “relationship builder” watch to get a chance to purchase the watch I want down the road. The cost of a Rolex is a lot of money to a lot of people for a luxury item, including myself.

To me, the relationship builder is the rapport I build, and the long term value of my business down the road. The bubble WILL pop at some point. There will be a time again when you will be able to walk into an AD and purchase the model you want on the spot. The smart AD’s will know this and will treat you better than this “buy this, then MAYBE down the road I’ll let you buy that”.

Politeness, courtesy, and simple people skills go a long way on both sides of that counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would say it's based on personal experiences. I've been buying Rolex, AP, and Patek since 2008. Since 2018, behavior like the OP described is what I'm running into more and more. The SA at a Vegas boutique said she could make a SS BLRO "appear" if I bought the platinum day date I was looking at. They aren't alone.
Sebenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:27 AM   #84
CLTRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Multiple
The entire AD model is obsolete. This isn’t the 70s or 80s anymore. Us younger people could give a **** about establishing a “relationship” just to get something. With the advent of the internet I can get ANYTHING (yes anything) and not have to build a credit worthiness with some mall jewelry store. Oh please let me buy 13 day dates so I can show you I’m a loyal pet and worthy of you “selecting” me to BUY a watch from you..
♕ Daytona - 116520
♕ Explorer II - 16570
CLTRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:28 AM   #85
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
" The list " at my two AD's is some ethereal thing...like an Urban Myth like Bigfoot, dragons, or a magic carpet or something... you've heard stories about them but have never seen one.

Trying to build a relationship with an AD is like catching a mirage in the desert.

But rude salespeople? Those are real.
a man with two watches is never really sure.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:29 AM   #86
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Odd. I talk openly about the grey market with several ADs and they never have an attitude like that. Like us, they seem shocked at where the prices have gone.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:38 AM   #87
Brew
"TRF" Member

This was a conversation that just shouldn't have happened. SA shouldn't have asked, and I would not have responded.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:51 AM   #88
alllexandru

I found this sad and somehow (but not much) amusing
Although I understand how the actual market works, this is not normal.
I would love to buy from AD for my hard work money and as a free market I can also buy if I want from the paralel market, grey.

YOU as a customer and buyer have all the rights and we need to remember that, buying from AD or grey is not going to change that, value yourself and your money.

I'm sure not all AD are like this but plenty are doing this bad behaviour, I think they lost the value of real $ and respect.

I know.,,.. earth is spinning
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:56 AM   #89
Ungucpho
"TRF" Member

not sure how old you are, but i would've just said it was a gift from the in-laws/extended family.....

its none of the AD's business where you get items from
Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:56 AM   #90
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
That manager of that very AD likely sells them out the back door to gray dealers, the sales representative is just unaware !

Borderline slanderous thing to say (even in jest). WEMPE is the gold standard of ADs... and they have operated the NYC Boutique with the highest levels of professionalism and customer service.

This is truly disappointing to hear -- as an SA should NEVER get defensive or make a customer feel uncomfortable. If the OP isn't a WEMPE customer, I can understand it may be difficult to start off with a BLNR -- especially if you purchased your Bluesy from a competitor. WEMPE may legitimately feel you already have an established relationship with another AD... and they don't want to poach you from them.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote