The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 March 2021, 03:04 AM   #61
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soondooboo View Post
I was pissed at this too but this is due to COVID guidelines, so it's understandable.
A couple guys robbed me and beat me with billy clubs this morning as I took a stroll through the city. But they told me it was due to COVID guidelines, so it's understandable.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 03:35 AM   #62
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
A couple guys robbed me and beat me with billy clubs this morning as I took a stroll through the city. But they told me it was due to COVID guidelines, so it's understandable.
Don't. Use. Apple.

Problem solved and angst averted. Join the wonderful world of Android. Nirvana awaits.
Old 9 March 2021, 05:03 AM   #63
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang View Post
Paul: Was this at the UTC store? I went in there a few months ago with an appointment to drop off a phone for a repair. I went back to pick it up (twice because it wasn't ready at the promised time), and the same guard would ask me the same question of Do you have an appointment and check the temperature to see if it had changed in 2 hours. I get it it's their job but still..

Then on another occasion I went to the Apple store in North County to return an item because I couldn't make an appointment. The guard kept repeating that I needed to make an appointment and wouldn't understand that there wasn't an option on line to make an appointment when dealing with that order.. finally a "genius" came out and helped me with the return in two minutes.

Yesterday, we were walking around the Fashion Valley and actually noticed the Apple store there is no longer a regular store but just has a makeshift storefront with a couple of windows to deal with pickups, etc. The guards outside were reprimanding a poor soul for trying to go into the store without an appointment.

I think it's gotten out of hand.

Having said that, the LV and Gucci stores had also lines of people outside and they all needed to be registered or have an appointment.

Many other stores didn't have lines and were empty.

Yes, that’s the one!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:24 AM   #64
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I would like to better understand this logic. Genuinely. What I read is because some are doing one thing all others should do the same.

What if the mall had a policy of appointments, but a mall down the road did not?

It seems like the US is allowing retailers to make their own policies and decisions citing freedom. That door does swing both ways for different people at different times.

It seems this experience made you feel a certain way about your relationship with the Apple store and company, but we are the only ones who control how we feel. Emotions are funny like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, let me try and explain my frustration so you will understand. In short, I think you mentioned about other stores open etc. The mall is very large, gosh I don’t know, but at least 50 stores, maybe a lot more. It is open air, typical of a Southern California mall. There are restrictions of course, you must wear a mask at all times, and there are limits as to how many customers are allowed in the store at one time so as to (try and ) keep the six-foot social distancing rule. Most stores have lines set up outside with an associate to count the number of customers in the store and allow others to enter as ones leave. In my experience at this mall, these associates have been extremely pleasant, courteous, really attempting to make the inconvenience as minor as possible. A couple stores will have more then one associate (basically a gate guard) out and talking to the customers, asking if there is anything in particular they were looking for, showing them tablets of the website and suggesting products etc. The only stores that had actual security guards were the jewelry stores, some of them were armed and of course this makes sense. Even during non-COVID times they are present. None of these stores prevented any customers from entering, even if they said they were “just looking.” I enjoy shopping, (yeah, I know, I’m weird) and browsing in a store is a relaxing and fun experience (we ALL need more of those right now). I have no issue with any of these restrictions, the stores go out of their way to make it as pleasant as possible.

Now, let’s look at the Apple store

There is a huge “line” of rope barriers, I don’t know how to describe except if you have seen lines of people at Disney Land or other parks like that. It snakes back and forth probably 20 yards out. At the end of this line, stand TWO security guards, all dressed up and looking like mercenaries out of an Arnold Schwartzenager film, and with the demeanor to match. First, i walked up on the side (understand the store had just opened and literally I was the only customer) and attempted to speak with the security guards. They pointed towards the EMPTY line, and asked me to please (I will be fair, they did say “Please) STEP in to the rope line. Really? You want me to move a foot under the rope or you won’t speak to me? OK... I actually walked to the entrance and around the maze like a rat, kind of emphasizing the lubriciousness of the request but did what I was told. Then, when I approached the first words were not: “Hello” or “Good Morning” or “How can we help you” It was: “DO YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT?” Me, mis interpreting that they assumed I was there for a genius bar meeting to fix or go over an issue with my phone or something, pointed at my phone and said: “I just want to buy a case for my Iphone” The second guard then chimed in and said: “You have to make a purchase on line and then make an appointment to come pick it up, you aren’t allowed in the store without an appointment.”

Now, maybe to you, this is acceptable behavior from a retailer to a customer. Maybe you, would consider this just part of the adjustments we all have to make during this Pandemic. That is your prerogative. I DO NOT. They were rude, condescending, and plain ridiculous. Every other store allows people inside to actually BUY something, however with the great and almighty Apple you have to make an APPOINTMENT just to have the honor of entering their domain and spending your money!? No... No.... I think not. And the two guards demeanor made me feel more welcome in Iraq during Desert Storm.

Perhaps you feel I am being unreasonable, I won’t try and change your mind. Perhaps you would not have at all been upset if you had this experience, I congratulate you if that is true, you are a far more patient person them me. But as for myself, I found it extremely upsetting, judge me as you will.
Old 9 March 2021, 05:32 AM   #65
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Paul I just talk to Tim and he told me what the problem is. From the Mar 1, 2021 so have all Apple Stores introduced a novelty.

Now there is a facial control at the entrance because they only want beautiful customers in the store. I'm very sorry you failed to get in.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:36 AM   #66
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Paul I just talk to Tim and he told me what the problem is. From the Mar 1, 2021 so have all Apple Stores introduced a novelty.

Now there is a facial control at the entrance because they only want beautiful customers in the store. I'm very sorry you failed to get in.

Baa ha haaaaaa haaa ha ha ~ !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 06:03 AM   #67
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Should have flashed your Tumi wallet and Rolex to let them know you’re special.
Clearly the guards doing their job didn’t get the memo.

Now that Jocke has revealed the truth I won’t be let in an Apple Store again. :)
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 06:38 AM   #68
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
OK, let me try and explain my frustration so you will understand. In short, I think you mentioned about other stores open etc. The mall is very large, gosh I don’t know, but at least 50 stores, maybe a lot more. It is open air, typical of a Southern California mall. There are restrictions of course, you must wear a mask at all times, and there are limits as to how many customers are allowed in the store at one time so as to (try and ) keep the six-foot social distancing rule. Most stores have lines set up outside with an associate to count the number of customers in the store and allow others to enter as ones leave. In my experience at this mall, these associates have been extremely pleasant, courteous, really attempting to make the inconvenience as minor as possible. A couple stores will have more then one associate (basically a gate guard) out and talking to the customers, asking if there is anything in particular they were looking for, showing them tablets of the website and suggesting products etc. The only stores that had actual security guards were the jewelry stores, some of them were armed and of course this makes sense. Even during non-COVID times they are present. None of these stores prevented any customers from entering, even if they said they were “just looking.” I enjoy shopping, (yeah, I know, I’m weird) and browsing in a store is a relaxing and fun experience (we ALL need more of those right now). I have no issue with any of these restrictions, the stores go out of their way to make it as pleasant as possible.

Now, let’s look at the Apple store

There is a huge “line” of rope barriers, I don’t know how to describe except if you have seen lines of people at Disney Land or other parks like that. It snakes back and forth probably 20 yards out. At the end of this line, stand TWO security guards, all dressed up and looking like mercenaries out of an Arnold Schwartzenager film, and with the demeanor to match. First, i walked up on the side (understand the store had just opened and literally I was the only customer) and attempted to speak with the security guards. They pointed towards the EMPTY line, and asked me to please (I will be fair, they did say “Please) STEP in to the rope line. Really? You want me to move a foot under the rope or you won’t speak to me? OK... I actually walked to the entrance and around the maze like a rat, kind of emphasizing the lubriciousness of the request but did what I was told. Then, when I approached the first words were not: “Hello” or “Good Morning” or “How can we help you” It was: “DO YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT?” Me, mis interpreting that they assumed I was there for a genius bar meeting to fix or go over an issue with my phone or something, pointed at my phone and said: “I just want to buy a case for my Iphone” The second guard then chimed in and said: “You have to make a purchase on line and then make an appointment to come pick it up, you aren’t allowed in the store without an appointment.”

Now, maybe to you, this is acceptable behavior from a retailer to a customer. Maybe you, would consider this just part of the adjustments we all have to make during this Pandemic. That is your prerogative. I DO NOT. They were rude, condescending, and plain ridiculous. Every other store allows people inside to actually BUY something, however with the great and almighty Apple you have to make an APPOINTMENT just to have the honor of entering their domain and spending your money!? No... No.... I think not. And the two guards demeanor made me feel more welcome in Iraq during Desert Storm.

Perhaps you feel I am being unreasonable, I won’t try and change your mind. Perhaps you would not have at all been upset if you had this experience, I congratulate you if that is true, you are a far more patient person them me. But as for myself, I found it extremely upsetting, judge me as you will.
Same exact experience to a T!!!
At least they are consistently demeaning guards, right.
Old 9 March 2021, 06:58 AM   #69
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Imagine if Apple made you purchase a bunch of phones and high margin accessories you didn't want before you could get on a list to buy the latest.

Sounds about fifty times more arrogant than simply requiring an appointment during a time that Covid virtue signaling is all the rage.

Be very glad you were not introduced to Rolex as a brand for the first time in 2020. If this was your reaction to Apple, you'd be able to write a BOOK about the Rolex experience these days!!! :)
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 07:15 AM   #70
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

Oh... well that explains it then....
Old 9 March 2021, 09:22 AM   #71
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
They learned from the airline industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6FK2RmVgGE
Old 9 March 2021, 09:37 AM   #72
Boothroyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
They learned from the airline industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6FK2RmVgGE
How are you doing, Jeff?
Old 9 March 2021, 10:21 AM   #73
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

No need for the guards to be rude and they really should also put up a sign but...

https://www.apple.com/retail/utc/

States right on the site what to expect. I stopped going to that specific Apple store years ago. That place is a shit show.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 10:28 AM   #74
etp095
"TRF" Member

I hope you paid in Cash!! Make em real crazy!!
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 01:00 PM   #75
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Prob is people pack apple stores like sardine cans.....only way to stop that is to basically allow for pickups only. I had this same issue when I got my last phone. All they really needed to do was advertise what they were doing better and it would be fine. But I agree, getting jumped by John and Ponch for veering around some bollards annoyed me a bit.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 04:01 PM   #76
BlueRoman
"TRF" Member

If there was no one in the store I would have just asked the manager when the next available appointment was and if there was one at that time (most likely) then just booked myself in and gone into the store.
BlueRoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 05:08 PM   #77
Andad

Watch: A few.
Hi Paul,

You lost me at “Ok, let me try and explain?”

And don’t listen to Jocke, you must have a friend somewhere?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 09:18 PM   #78
Lol-x
Facilitator

There are good Apple iPhone alternatives.
For example the new Xiaomi Mi 11 with Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor for $799.
I've sold both my Apple Macbooks in the last 3 months and gone over to an Acer laptop.
I still have the iMac for the office.
I will get another Macbook Air when they update the design with thin bezels.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 10:05 PM   #79
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
So... I don’t have any other Apple products other then the Iphone, which I find an extremely superior product, so am only subjected to this attitude with my cell phone (thank goodness I don’t have Macbooks and others) but now, I kind of wish Android would come out with a serious contender, I could make the switch...

Does anyone else find this attitude from Apple?
I understood when people said this 5 or 10 years ago but with what Samsung does today I don't think it is true any longer.

A 2nd gen Ipod Nano I got as a doir prize about 15 years ago is the last Apple product I owned and even back then they were getting too full of themselves for my taste.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 10:20 PM   #80
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Ithe last Apple product I owned and even back then they were getting too full of themselves for my taste.

Oh the irony on a Rolex watch forum
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 10:40 PM   #81
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Oh the irony on a Rolex watch forum
Chuckle chuckle!!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 10:55 PM   #82
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Many years ago, I bought an EyePad. I didn't like it, couldn't get the hang of it, prefer the Android interface, and my EyeTunes experience was inconsistent (sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't). So I took it back.

That was two visits (pre-Covid) to the fruit store. Both times, packed. People waiting in line for the genius bar. A huge crowd of people taking a "class" in how to use their device.

This is user-friendly? If it's so great, how come so many people can't use it and need help?

To their credit, the return was quite easy.

Last time I went to the mall (Februrary), there was a line 40-deep of people waiting to get into the store. Kinda-sorta socially distant-ish.

My wife has an EyePhone. I refuse to help her with it. I still think it sucks.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 12:54 AM   #83
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
How are you doing, Jeff?
I’m good. Hope your doing well and staying healthy. Hopefully another Packer game is in our future.
Old 10 March 2021, 01:35 AM   #84
Boothroyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrazor251 View Post
I’m good. Hope your doing well and staying healthy. Hopefully another Packer game is in our future.
Some time soon, I hope! That was fun. Stay well!
Old 10 March 2021, 01:44 AM   #85
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Many years ago, I bought an EyePad. I didn't like it, couldn't get the hang of it, prefer the Android interface, and my EyeTunes experience was inconsistent (sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't). So I took it back.

That was two visits (pre-Covid) to the fruit store. Both times, packed. People waiting in line for the genius bar. A huge crowd of people taking a "class" in how to use their device.

This is user-friendly? If it's so great, how come so many people can't use it and need help?

To their credit, the return was quite easy.

Last time I went to the mall (Februrary), there was a line 40-deep of people waiting to get into the store. Kinda-sorta socially distant-ish.

My wife has an EyePhone. I refuse to help her with it. I still think it sucks.
I enjoyed this post. That is all.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 01:49 AM   #86
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Time to switch to Android Paul
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 05:39 AM   #87
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have all Apple products, Mac book Pro, iPad, wife has an iPhone and my iPhone, I love all of them but I have an iPhone for one reason only, and that is that it integrates with my hearing aids better than any Android phone I have used. If it wasn't for that, I would have the latest Android from Samsung as a phone in a heartbeat. iPad, Mac Book Pro? I wouldn't swap them for the world.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 05:59 AM   #88
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I have all Apple products, Mac book Pro, iPad, wife has an iPhone and my iPhone, I love all of them but I have an iPhone for one reason only, and that is that it integrates with my hearing aids better than any Android phone I have used. If it wasn't for that, I would have the latest Android from Samsung as a phone in a heartbeat. iPad, Mac Book Pro? I wouldn't swap them for the world.
That's how I roll, Dave. All Apple for computers (and wouldn't have it any other way), but I have a Samsung phone and it's fine. Better than fine.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 08:45 AM   #89
dauster
"TRF" Member

honestly I buy my apple products always from the T-mobile store or elsewhere and never at apple directly. I can't stand their stupidity and bad customer service. I had the most ridiculous interaction about replacing my Iphone which was still under apple warranty a few years ago and have not even attempted to go into a store since.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 09:00 AM   #90
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I was never an Apple fan or customer. I don't get the hype on their pricing. When I walk by the store at my mall even before the virus hit I would kind of laugh to myself at all of the Apple customers crowding around. I seems like more of a life style to me kind of like Starbucks double lattes'

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote