The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 December 2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Melvin Udall
"TRF" Member

Pleas advice re: 1996 buying Explorer 14270

Hi guys,

Went Xmas shopping today and while in town felt compelled to stop at the watch shop. They have circa 1996 Explorer 14270 in what to the naked eye appears to be a perfect condition. Probably polished as it looks absolutely mint but the satin brushing looks perfect, edges seem sharp, glass is perfect too. Green sticker still attached to the back of the case but no papers. Good price of $4.300
I am on the fence…..should I get it or keep looking?

I have a 39 mm Explorer but somehow I am not in love with it. Bought it last month and wore it only handful of times. It just doesn’t feel right. The 36 mm feels like perfect size on my wrist and my OP36 proves it as I find myself wearing it the most.
What I am afraid of is the unknown. What’s inside, is every part original? Hands, dial etc I know very little; nothing actually; about vintage watches
I can take it to RSC and have it checked and serviced but that will add another +/- $1.000

Wife says don’t get the watch from the grey market store as you never know…..and I tend to agree with her. Particularly that the watch is 20 yo
But inside I want it so much that one person’s voice of reason does not convince me.

What do the knowledgeable men of this forum think?
Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:00 PM   #2
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Depends on the seller/shop. Is it reputable? $4300 with box and papers? If no b/p, that's not a great deal, and you can find that price elsewhere.

Always buy the seller is my suggestion and if you can upload some pictures, experts here will tell you what it's worth. Good luck!
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote