The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2018, 04:42 AM   #1
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Why do so many Panerai GMT’s have 2 GMT hands?

While looking at a number of different Panerai models, I’ve scooped out a handful of GMTs. One thing I noticed is that most of the Panerai GMT models have two GMT hands. One on the main dial and one on the sub dial.

It just sorta puzzles me - especially for a brand who’s core consumers seem to value the simplicity of the Panerai dial/look.

Does anyone know why they do this?
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 04:55 AM   #2
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I know very little about the brand, but could one of the xtra hands be for a 24hr (night/day) register?
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 05:28 AM   #3
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
While looking at a number of different Panerai models, I’ve scooped out a handful of GMTs. One thing I noticed is that most of the Panerai GMT models have two GMT hands. One on the main dial and one on the sub dial.

It just sorta puzzles me - especially for a brand who’s core consumers seem to value the simplicity of the Panerai dial/look.

Does anyone know why they do this?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. The sub-dial is the second hand, the "GMT" hand is on the main stack
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 05:47 AM   #4
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I know very little about the brand, but could one of the xtra hands be for a 24hr (night/day) register?

correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 06:31 AM   #5
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Yes. On the sub dial many models have 2 hands. A second hand and 1 hand which (I believe) circles the sub dial 1x per 24hrs. So when it is facing down (6 o'clock position) it is noon and then starts the 12 hour countdown on th PM side of the sub dial toward midnight.

And then there is the GMT hand on the main dial. On some models (some 233's) they have the dot to indicate am/pm. But I believe I've also seen some 233s with the dot, the hand on the sub dial, and the GMT hand on the main dial.

Just curious.

Last edited by ~Haze~; 6 December 2018 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Damn autocorrect
Old 6 December 2018, 07:26 AM   #6
avidflyer

never liked those personally, I went with the pam 88 gmt. more traditional gmt
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 08:14 AM   #7
synequano
Banned

Keep it simpler by removing the subdial entirely

synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 10:16 PM   #8
KBM

Quote:
Yes. On the sub dial many models have 2 hands. A second hand and 1 hand which (I believe) circles the sub dial 1x per 24hrs. So when it is facing down (6 o'clock position) it is noon and then starts the 12 hour countdown on th PM side of the sub dial toward midnight.

And then there is the GMT hand on the main dial. On some models (some 233's) they have the dot to indicate am/pm. But I believe I've also seen some 233s with the dot, the hand on the sub dial, and the GMT hand on the main dial.

Just curious.
The models which don't have 24h markings on the bezel have that extra subdial hand to indicate the correct (am/pm) time on the second timezone hand in the main dial.

I own a modern (am/pm) 233 and feel it's a good trade off to have the clean bezel, keeping with the traditional cade design.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 12:54 AM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

This is because most Panerai GMT models are not true GMTs. They require an AM/PM indicator.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 08:06 AM   #10
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
This is because most Panerai GMT models are not true GMTs. They require an AM/PM indicator.
Why does that not make it a true GMT? As long as the differentiation can be made between, say, 1100 hours and 2300 hours, then I would have thought that’s all that matters.

I much prefer the Panerai execution of GMT than a Rolex or Omega take on it with a single sweep in 24 hours (that doesn’t make it a true GMT, just my preference, that’s all ).

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 10:00 AM   #11
eonflux
"TRF" Member

On my 275, as on several other models, I came to feel the 24-hour subdial hand linked to the 12-hour main hand is a bit redundant.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 04:55 PM   #12
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
On my 275, as on several other models, I came to feel the 24-hour subdial hand linked to the 12-hour main hand is a bit redundant.

I hear ya. That’s exactly what I’m wondering.

And beautiful watch but what’s with the two diffenrt watch straps?
Old 11 December 2018, 03:34 PM   #13
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear ya. That’s exactly what I’m wondering.

And beautiful watch but what’s with the two diffenrt watch straps?
I was in the process of switching straps, and thought to take the pic to illustrate how differently the watch looks with those straps.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:42 AM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Why does that not make it a true GMT? As long as the differentiation can be made between, say, 1100 hours and 2300 hours, then I would have thought that’s all that matters.

I much prefer the Panerai execution of GMT than a Rolex or Omega take on it with a single sweep in 24 hours (that doesn’t make it a true GMT, just my preference, that’s all ).
I agree in the sense that "true" is subjective. Panerai GMTs function like a GMT.

I just meant in terms of single 24 hour sweep with independently moveable hour hand is what traditionalists would classify as a "classic" GMT complication. Even Breitling has movements where you quickset the GMT hand, but not the hour and for purests this isn't a true "GMT." I certainly am not the one who sets the bar for that. A horological colloquialism at best...
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:15 AM   #15
synequano
Banned

Actually pam have done several variations of GMT through the years

The eta based ones with quick change 24 hr hands (as shown with pam 23,88 et al)
The JLC based with gmt hands that's connected to the main hour hands (pam 184,185 et al)
The in house movts (12/12 gmt) that are increasingly common,they even develop the 12/24 gmt for pam 531

For those who wonders,this is how it's done in pam 184,you use the second crown to adjust the inner gmt bezel

In house 12/12 gmt without day/night or am/pm indicator

synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:05 PM   #16
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I agree in the sense that "true" is subjective. Panerai GMTs function like a GMT.

I just meant in terms of single 24 hour sweep with independently moveable hour hand is what traditionalists would classify as a "classic" GMT complication. Even Breitling has movements where you quickset the GMT hand, but not the hour and for purests this isn't a true "GMT." I certainly am not the one who sets the bar for that. A horological colloquialism at best...
Thank you. I guess I’m proud to be a heathen then

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote