The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2019, 09:39 PM   #31
DGB
"TRF" Member

Yeah, price reduction from ludicrous overpriced to still overpriced....

WF have always been above price average, I visited them twice, one time for a Daytona Zenith and another time for a Kermit.

They dropped £7000 and they were still £6 to £7k too high. And the watch was far from pristine quality.

Quite disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 09:44 PM   #32
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
You guys just havent read into my replies. I've been the first on here to disprove and tell you guys that this isn't because Dow dropped 5 points or because of X reasons you can come up with.

Prices on the grey market are reflected first in Hong Kong. The rest of the world follows. Since Hong Kong has been experiencing a turmoil of no Chinese money coming in, the prices are no longer getting "fried" (as they would say it), since there is no money to fry with. There is no other explanations. Take it from someone who knows first hand and don't just come up with a (plausible) theory.
If one watches the news from HK, they'd agree with you. I'm watching in disbelief that the ostensibly meek Chinese, even the HongKongers, are capable of standing up to the Beijing meat grinder.
J.P.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 09:45 PM   #33
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
There has been a notable decline in price since I bought my 116710LN a few months ago. It's not earth shattering, maybe a few hundred dollars but it's there. It seems like the climb is over for now.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 09:47 PM   #34
Vamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Its the start of the end. Market has been very very weak already for the past 2-3 months. Some of the prices offered from grays are very very much lowball now and ZERO money to be made on most models maybe except the SS Daytona (but thats been like that for 25 years already).

Gonna get worse and now HK is really in trouble if things dont improve there. Its gotten worse and worse now.

This aint no summer holiday slump as some are suggesting in the US. Its a global reduction in demand. Seeing it in Asia, US, UK and across Europe.

Never ever buy into a mass produced commodity and think it will appreciate forever. LOL

Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 09:51 PM   #35
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Very welcome news, long may it continue!
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:07 PM   #36
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
As posted in the other thread WF wants $11k for a sub date, how this hardly an across the board drop.

Prices drop IMO when = to MSRP or below
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:07 PM   #37
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
I’m hearing from a few people I work with that the have received a Batman recently, more and more hot models turning up

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.Jones View Post
If one watches the news from HK, they'd agree with you. I'm watching in disbelief that the ostensibly meek Chinese, even the HongKongers, are capable of standing up to the Beijing meat grinder.
I live out here. See it first hand. Can even hit up the frontlines if I want to risk my freedom.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:08 PM   #38
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
As posted in the other thread WF wants $11k for a sub date, how this hardly an across the board drop.

Prices drop IMO when = to MSRP or below
It is a drop. WF have always been known to overcharge. Smaller greys will now have to compete.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:13 PM   #39
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
It is a drop. WF have always been known to overcharge. Smaller greys will now have to compete.
Exactly. Its not just about WF. They are well known to be overpriced for everything BUT.....them dropping their prices to more acceptable levels is just 1 sign of a weakening market.

Many many dealers on Instagram/facebook will deal hard at the current time right now if you show them the cash and are a no shit talking buyer.

People are blind because they only look at TRF sales post from David or someone and base all their info on that. David is respected but his prices are also a premium.

Even on TRF - look at the bumps and price drops on individual sellers and observe how long the for sale add is around. I've seen some adds up for months now with continuous price drops and still not sold.

Honestly If I was in the market for a watch right now I wouldnt be buying anything.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:18 PM   #40
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post

I live out here. See it first hand. Can even hit up the frontlines if I want to risk my freedom.
What’s your estimation regarding the outcome of the past 6 months in HK? What’s next for the territory?
J.P.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:14 PM   #41
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Am interested in this as I am looking to buy a Batman in the new year. May even be earlier as am going to Hong Kong over Xmas so if I can grab a bargain...

However will more than likely be that I wait till I get back and assess the cost of the holiday (also other Asian destinations over Xmas / Early Jan).

Current preliminary research up to the last few weeks showing small decrease from c£12.5 to c£12k.
Therefore the WF prices (which tend to be on the high side) of £12.5k is only a marginal decrease.
Hopefully better bargaining may be had once you go into the store with cash.. but on balance I think I’ll leave it till after Xmas when people are historically poor and not looking to make big discretionary purchases and see how I get on then.

LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:27 PM   #42
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Am interested in this as I am looking to buy a Batman in the new year. May even be earlier as am going to Hong Kong over Xmas so if I can grab a bargain...

However will more than likely be that I wait till I get back and assess the cost of the holiday (also other Asian destinations over Xmas / Early Jan).

Current preliminary research up to the last few weeks showing small decrease from c£12.5 to c£12k.
Therefore the WF prices (which tend to be on the high side) of £12.5k is only a marginal decrease.
Hopefully better bargaining may be had once you go into the store with cash.. but on balance I think I’ll leave it till after Xmas when people are historically poor and not looking to make big discretionary purchases and see how I get on then.

They have some at £11.8k now. I’d think in the new year you could throw some offers around and achieve a decent price in London. Can’t see any reason to rush into anything right now though.
Old 19 November 2019, 11:48 PM   #43
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Finally time for me to put ADs on MY waiting list
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:56 PM   #44
djgallo
Banned

Lets back up the those trucks boys....
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:00 AM   #45
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Watchbox uk has BLNR for £10.8k it’s dropping fast
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:14 AM   #46
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

I look on the Watch Club website a lot and they have a lot of BLNR, new and old model and have recently tweaked the prices. I just noticed today that they have reduced a stickered white face Daytona by bout £1,000. I haven't seen them do this before, they're based near Bond Street so hardly a cut price part of town!
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:16 AM   #47
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
Watchbox uk has BLNR for £10.8k it’s dropping fast
They also have a 2018 Hulk for £10.8k. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen in a while I think.
Old 20 November 2019, 12:25 AM   #48
DBlue2018
"TRF" Member

I think with watchbox you need to add vat
DBlue2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:32 AM   #49
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlue2018 View Post
I think with watchbox you need to add vat
That makes as sense. Obviously why they have unusual prices, when the VAT is added it'll be a round number.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:34 AM   #50
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Now we all just have to agree not to buy! Hold out and prices will continue to fall
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:57 AM   #51
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is always the time of year watch prices are the lowest. Hollidays are coming and traditionally prices go up. This has been a cyclical trend for a long time. I agree with others that unless you see anywhere close to msrp, all we are seeing is minor market corrections.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:58 AM   #52
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Cheeky buggers at Watchfinder.

They list every 116710BLNR in the "sale" as reduced from £14950 when the only Oyster BLNR's on their site previously listed at that price were 2018 models - everything older than that was priced cheaper. So they're claiming much bigger reductions on individual watches than is actually the case. Weirdly they still have some other 116710BLNR's listed at £14950, including some watches older than cheaper "sale" watches.

I'm not a consumer lawyer but that's shady to me, morally if not legally. I'll watch their excellent Youtube videos, but sod doing business with them.
Old 20 November 2019, 12:58 AM   #53
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Sorry, chap, but I'll buy if I want and not buy if I want. I don't give in the peer pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
Now we all just have to agree not to buy! Hold out and prices will continue to fall
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:02 AM   #54
stash21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This is always the time of year watch prices are the lowest. Hollidays are coming and traditionally prices go up. This has been a cyclical trend for a long time. I agree with others that unless you see anywhere close to msrp, all we are seeing is minor market corrections.
don't think so this year, if WF expected to pick up in a couple of weeks they wouldn't have hit the discount button that hard on the BLNR.

if they retail price is now discounted to 11-12k then they probably have stopped paying a premium over MSRP meaning that flippers will stop buying at AD. Which hopefully creates a self fulfilling deflation back down to MSRP or a little over for the convenience.
stash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:15 AM   #55
DBlue2018
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash21 View Post
don't think so this year, if WF expected to pick up in a couple of weeks they wouldn't have hit the discount button that hard on the BLNR.

if they retail price is now discounted to 11-12k then they probably have stopped paying a premium over MSRP meaning that flippers will stop buying at AD. Which hopefully creates a self fulfilling deflation back down to MSRP or a little over for the convenience.
Correct

Some dealers I know are not trading in stainless sports Rolex at present as prices falling

The batman is the new common GMT

Pepsi holding up

It certainly will make think people think twice who have to buy a datejust/woman’s watch to get a relationship with a dealer so one day they can buy a batman as it’s not worth all that effort anymore

The thing is those Batman’s aren’t flying off the shelves at Watchfinder either!!! So all these other dealers that have them more than Watchfinder need to think twice

Also what will happen when the sale is over? Will people suddenly start paying WF £14950 for a batman again? I don’t think so

Time will tell
DBlue2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:20 AM   #56
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Sorry, chap, but I'll buy if I want and not buy if I want. I don't give in the peer pressure.
C h a p
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:20 AM   #57
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Opening now? Or they already have? No point opening in HK now and I dont think that is a good move. The amount of grays in HK is eye watering and their stock is even more eye watering.

They should just stick to the UK and sell Europe and UK imho.
They are planning to, they have grown from a fly by night second hand car dealer type to the biggest grey in the world and one of the strongest watch brands now including genuine watchmaking firms, so I'm not surprised they are going global now, timing wise it could be risky but assuming the HK thing is resolved one way or other soon, then it is probably business as usual.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:24 AM   #58
Madman37
"TRF" Member

I am one of the mugs who bought an oyster BLNR from the grey over retail £11k actually. Didn’t buy for investment but will always be like ahhh could I have got it for cheaper if I had waited. I hope though prices do drop badly as their are more watches I want and don’t want to keep paying grey.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:28 AM   #59
MSchu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
There has been a notable decline in price since I bought my 116710LN a few months ago. It's not earth shattering, maybe a few hundred dollars but it's there. It seems like the climb is over for now.
More than subtle on the 116710ln...

the 114060 is a lot more stable even though it is current production... but it still exhibits a downward 'mean'

the two main watches I am looking to add to my collection.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 01:32 AM   #60
Soultime
"TRF" Member

It's about now, that we should all be glad that Rolex didn't listen to all the bleating and whinging over the last 3 years and greatly ramp up production.

This was always going to happen.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote