The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 April 2017, 07:05 AM   #1
gery82
"TRF" Member
 
gery82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dabas, Hungary
Posts: 343
Condition evaluation of 1655

Hello,

It's another thread if those kind where I ask for advice on condition of a watch.

This time it's a 1655 for a great price. Could you guys take a look at if anything apart from the missing lume at 5 o clock and some missing enamel on the bezel is off to you?

I also have a feeling that dial is way off, the coronet is to close to the "L" and the triangle 12hr marker, right?

As always all inputs, comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
G



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gery82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 07:20 AM   #2
saskmh
"TRF" Member
 
saskmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,026
The position of the R in oyster and L in perpetual don't line up right either. T swiss T is wrong too. I would say re-painted dial.
__________________
RCN (Canadian) Tudor Milsub database co-manager
saskmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Mick P
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK / Spain
Watch: 39mm Explorer
Posts: 1,990
That dial is ultra fishy - you do not get that sort of patina on a T swiss T dial.

I also own a 1655 and the value of the watch is tied up in the dial. If you have a suspect dial, expect a low price.

Stay well away is my advice.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:03 AM   #4
swish77
2021 Pledge Member
 
swish77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Real Name: Aaron
Location: NYC
Watch: ing the time!
Posts: 5,024
I think it's worse than a re-dial. Look at the little square tritium markers. They're supposed to be bigger and at the very edge of the dial, unlike these ones in the OP's watch. I've seen a lot of odd (kind word) 1655s like this lately.

Consult this link if you're in the hunt for a 1655. It'll tell you virtually everything you need to know:

http://stefanomazzariol.blogspot.com...freccione.html
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 08:33 AM   #5
JSeb
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 11
I agree. That dial is poorly done. Is this a local sale close to you or from an online source ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 05:20 AM   #6
gery82
"TRF" Member
 
gery82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dabas, Hungary
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeb View Post
I agree. That dial is poorly done. Is this a local sale close to you or from an online source ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It's an online source in Germany, I'm located in Hungary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gery82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 05:32 AM   #7
1675-David
2021 Pledge Member
 
1675-David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,187
ouch, that dial!! Looks very similar to the stuff on e-bay.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 02:46 AM   #8
SeeDweller
2021 Pledge Member
 
SeeDweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Bob
Location: Davis, CA
Watch: 16753-Root Beer
Posts: 495
I AM in the market for a beautiful 1655, and so I looked at the blog as suggested by "swish77". (love the ghost bezel on your name-picture!).
Welllllll, it might be a great blog, "telling me everything I need to know".... IF I could read ITALIAN!!!
Seriously, did I get to the wrong page? I'm pretty concerned about paying $10K++ for something and finding out that its a gorgeous Rail dial - that was repainted...

Thanks, all!
__________________
Bob
'67 5512 (Sub., Matte, meters 1st) ...| '78 1665 (SeaDweller, Great White)
'86 16753 (GMT, RootBeer) .|... '04 16710 (GMT-II, Pepsi)
'72 1655 (Explorer II, Freccione) |..... '10 16570 (Explorer II, Polar)
'01 116520 (Daytona, white dial) ....| '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still can't quite scratch that itch, methinks.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 02:51 AM   #9
SeeDweller
2021 Pledge Member
 
SeeDweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Bob
Location: Davis, CA
Watch: 16753-Root Beer
Posts: 495
Misrepresented 1655 dial?

Oh, . . . and I just found THIS on Bob's Watches:
https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...e-mcqueen.html
They SAY it's a "Mark II" dial, but that doesn't look like a rail dial to me. Am I off base here?

I had a previous issue with Bob's in which I purchased a 1665 "Great White" that they marketed as a Mk1 dial, but when I got it, it was a Mk4 !! I called and discussed ways to deal with the misrepresentation, and all I got was a not-very-apologetic "Send it back within 24 hours, or you've bought it!". (Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth).
__________________
Bob
'67 5512 (Sub., Matte, meters 1st) ...| '78 1665 (SeaDweller, Great White)
'86 16753 (GMT, RootBeer) .|... '04 16710 (GMT-II, Pepsi)
'72 1655 (Explorer II, Freccione) |..... '10 16570 (Explorer II, Polar)
'01 116520 (Daytona, white dial) ....| '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still can't quite scratch that itch, methinks.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 04:21 AM   #10
Sky21
"TRF" Member
 
Sky21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller View Post
Oh, . . . and I just found THIS on Bob's Watches:
https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...e-mcqueen.html
They SAY it's a "Mark II" dial, but that doesn't look like a rail dial to me. Am I off base here?

I had a previous issue with Bob's in which I purchased a 1665 "Great White" that they marketed as a Mk1 dial, but when I got it, it was a Mk4 !! I called and discussed ways to deal with the misrepresentation, and all I got was a not-very-apologetic "Send it back within 24 hours, or you've bought it!". (Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth).
That does look like a nice Mk 2 dial. The radial dial is the Mk 3.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 05:52 PM   #11
SeeDweller
2021 Pledge Member
 
SeeDweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Bob
Location: Davis, CA
Watch: 16753-Root Beer
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky21 View Post
That does look like a nice Mk 2 dial. The radial dial is the Mk 3.
Looks like I need to review that reference from Swish77, and either learn Italian, or find a version in English. I thought the Rail dial was Mk 2, but guess I've got it mixed up with the 1665 (Great White). Mea culpa.

Do you think that the example from Bob's is reasonably priced? I'm also planning on going into San Fran and pay a visit to Jacek to see if he's holding onto any treasures in which I would be interested... (You never know!)
__________________
Bob
'67 5512 (Sub., Matte, meters 1st) ...| '78 1665 (SeaDweller, Great White)
'86 16753 (GMT, RootBeer) .|... '04 16710 (GMT-II, Pepsi)
'72 1655 (Explorer II, Freccione) |..... '10 16570 (Explorer II, Polar)
'01 116520 (Daytona, white dial) ....| '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still can't quite scratch that itch, methinks.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 11:02 PM   #12
swish77
2021 Pledge Member
 
swish77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Real Name: Aaron
Location: NYC
Watch: ing the time!
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller View Post
I AM in the market for a beautiful 1655, and so I looked at the blog as suggested by "swish77". (love the ghost bezel on your name-picture!).
Welllllll, it might be a great blog, "telling me everything I need to know".... IF I could read ITALIAN!!!
Seriously, did I get to the wrong page? I'm pretty concerned about paying $10K++ for something and finding out that its a gorgeous Rail dial - that was repainted...

Thanks, all!
Stefano's blog is in English too. It's translated below the Italian in each section.

The 1655 on the Bob's Watches site looks to be an OK example, but just OK. That case is over-polished, IMHO, and more minor, the date wheel has been replaced. The price reflects the condition. Good luck in your hunt.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 07:12 PM   #13
SeeDweller
2021 Pledge Member
 
SeeDweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Real Name: Bob
Location: Davis, CA
Watch: 16753-Root Beer
Posts: 495
swish77 ??
I still don't seem to be able to view the blog from Stefano, for some reason. It says that I'm "not invited to view this blog" and that I should "request permission from the blogger".
(Wow, . . . I've even bought his giant Submariner book! - or rather, my wife bought it for me!)
Any ideas as to how to see this article? Would you be willing to send me the link to my personal e-mail? rbmiller@ucdavis.edu
I'd be most grateful.
BTW, Jacek (from HQMilton) was his usual honest and straightforward self, and showed me what he had, and recommended that I keep looking for a better 1655 example. Methinks this is going to be a difficult search...
__________________
Bob
'67 5512 (Sub., Matte, meters 1st) ...| '78 1665 (SeaDweller, Great White)
'86 16753 (GMT, RootBeer) .|... '04 16710 (GMT-II, Pepsi)
'72 1655 (Explorer II, Freccione) |..... '10 16570 (Explorer II, Polar)
'01 116520 (Daytona, white dial) ....| '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still can't quite scratch that itch, methinks.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 09:35 PM   #14
roh123
"TRF" Member
 
roh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Real Name: Per
Location: Sweden
Watch: Gilt Rolex
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller View Post
swish77 ??
I still don't seem to be able to view the blog from Stefano, for some reason. It says that I'm "not invited to view this blog" and that I should "request permission from the blogger".
(Wow, . . . I've even bought his giant Submariner book! - or rather, my wife bought it for me!)
Any ideas as to how to see this article? Would you be willing to send me the link to my personal e-mail? rbmiller@ucdavis.edu
I'd be most grateful.
BTW, Jacek (from HQMilton) was his usual honest and straightforward self, and showed me what he had, and recommended that I keep looking for a better 1655 example. Methinks this is going to be a difficult search...
Stefanos blog is pay-only right now.

http://www.mazzariolstefanolibrary.c...lish-language/
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 11:13 PM   #15
swish77
2021 Pledge Member
 
swish77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Real Name: Aaron
Location: NYC
Watch: ing the time!
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller View Post
swish77 ??
I still don't seem to be able to view the blog from Stefano, for some reason. It says that I'm "not invited to view this blog" and that I should "request permission from the blogger".
(Wow, . . . I've even bought his giant Submariner book! - or rather, my wife bought it for me!)
Any ideas as to how to see this article? Would you be willing to send me the link to my personal e-mail? rbmiller@ucdavis.edu
I'd be most grateful.
BTW, Jacek (from HQMilton) was his usual honest and straightforward self, and showed me what he had, and recommended that I keep looking for a better 1655 example. Methinks this is going to be a difficult search...
Yes, that's a recent development. Up until several weeks ago, you could view his blogs for free. Now it's 100 Euros a year. It's a great resource for info on vintage Rolexes, but most of the information is also available elsewhere.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 01:50 AM   #16
btinl
2021 Pledge Member
 
btinl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Golden State
Watch: on my wrist
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Yes, that's a recent development. Up until several weeks ago, you could view his blogs for free. Now it's 100 Euros a year. It's a great resource for info on vintage Rolexes, but most of the information is also available elsewhere.
Are you aware of any other free resources regarding the 1655?
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 03:02 AM   #17
GGGMT
"TRF" Member
 
GGGMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Itinerant
Watch: 16713; 424
Posts: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller View Post
Oh, . . . and I just found THIS on Bob's Watches:

https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...e-mcqueen.html

They SAY it's a "Mark II" dial, but that doesn't look like a rail dial to me. Am I off base here?



I had a previous issue with Bob's in which I purchased a 1665 "Great White" that they marketed as a Mk1 dial, but when I got it, it was a Mk4 !! I called and discussed ways to deal with the misrepresentation, and all I got was a not-very-apologetic "Send it back within 24 hours, or you've bought it!". (Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth).


That is a mark ii dial. FWIW, I've bought several vintage watches from bobs, and each has been meticulously accurately represented (though overpriced, but so is everything vintage).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 08:42 AM   #18
swish77
2021 Pledge Member
 
swish77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Real Name: Aaron
Location: NYC
Watch: ing the time!
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
Are you aware of any other free resources regarding the 1655?
This forum, VRF, and Google! Very easy to research and vet watches nowadays!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.