The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2020, 06:13 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
I'm guessing, when you could buy one of these for $9,000-$10,000, not that many years back, you thought they were overhyped and overpriced as well......
Well in the real world I did have a Zenith Daytona on loan as a test watch but not a fan gave it back.So not a fan of the modern day Daytona in any form and its not all about $$$$$$£££££ like many think today.Its about buying and owning the watch you really want to own and wear .And not what the likes of social media and the net hype dictates the watch you must have at any price just to think you have something special on your wrist.Now if they ever made a Daytona like my 6263 with modern auto movement,and simple black aluminium insert then perhaps I might be interested in a Daytona but at retail price or less.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 06:18 PM   #32
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Not in a million years ... but that’s just me
This. They are similar value retail pieces and the 10k juice is, like Padi says, just to wear the hype.

Maybe it's a better investment piece if that's what your looking for but personally, I wouldn't need to give this proposal any thought what so ever.

Good luck either way, only you truly know what your heart desires. Follow your heart not the footfall.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 06:40 PM   #33
challer
"TRF" Member

If you don't plan to time events with the chronograph, I would not. If the SeaD is too big, a Sub is probably the better direction.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 06:54 PM   #34
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
No way!

I find the Daytona too small and barely legible. Also, I'm not keen on vintage or semi-vintage pieces, their cool factor doesn’t make up for their inconvenience (sub-par clasp and hollow link stretchy bracelet for example). This Zenith movement doesn't hack by the way. And adding another 10 grand for the privilege seems crazy to me.

I can't fathom the idea. I understand the SD43 is too big for your wrist, that's fine, but I'd look for something else to replace it.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 08:20 PM   #35
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I wouldn't do it, unless I was hopelessly besotted with that Daytona... and probably not even then...

If you're not wearing the watches you mention, maybe work out a deal for a current Daytona or something else that you will actually wear.
Old 13 July 2020, 08:23 PM   #36
Amanubis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 / 1665 GW
Thanks all for the insightful views. I should provide some context on my reasons for considering the trade.

I have a Hulk by way of a modern sub, and have always had a soft spot for vintage/neo vintage rolexes. Prices however have been crazy recently, and I was fortunate to pick up a 1665 great white just before. Still always had my eye on a 16520 as a first Daytona.

With 16520 prices appearing to have softened, this trade opportunity is difficult to dismiss out of hand - hence this thread!

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
Amanubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 08:41 PM   #37
fai9al
"TRF" Member

I'd trade the GMT and get this, yes.
fai9al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:13 PM   #38
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
That seems like a ton of cash on top of that 126600. If it was for the ceramic daytona I might be tempted, but not for this one. The steel bezel daytonas just don't feel as special to me.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:30 AM   #39
salmanhamid
Banned

I have 126600 and love that watch I personally wouldn't trade it.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
salmanhamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:01 AM   #40
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I find the 126600 not very comfortable of a watch with its case back shape. I like the Zenith a lot myself. Like the 116520s though just as much and they would be my choice and saving a few $ in the process.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:05 AM   #41
salmanhamid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
That seems like a ton of cash on top of that 126600. If it was for the ceramic daytona I might be tempted, but not for this one. The steel bezel daytonas just don't feel as special to me.
I agree.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
salmanhamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:08 AM   #42
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

I own both the 116500 And SD43. If I had to trade my sea dweller I would only move it for the Daytona C, The metal bezel is too much of a scratch magnet. In the end though it would be tough for me to trade either of those for the other. They are both fantastic watches.

I love the SD for its robust wrist presence, and the Daytona for its contrasting panda dial. It would be a tie for me.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:18 AM   #43
Brny11
"TRF" Member

The zenith is not desirable to me. Older build quality, and non-hackable time, for twice the $$$... no thank you. I’d trade for a 116500 if money wasn’t a factor. Since it is, I would never pay the crazy amounts asked. Maybe look into a 116600. I think it is way more special than SD43 and is smaller.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:37 AM   #44
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
White dial 16520 is one of my favorite references. $10K plus the 126600 sounds about right considering market price on each. Current prices for the 16520 compared to where they were a short while ago seem steep to me.

However, if you think you will wear, enjoy, and keep the Daytona long term, do it!
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:48 AM   #45
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

negative
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:55 AM   #46
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

No way.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:55 AM   #47
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well in the real world I did have a Zenith Daytona on loan as a test watch but not a fan gave it back.So not a fan of the modern day Daytona in any form and its not all about $$$$$$£££££ like many think today.Its about buying and owning the watch you really want to own and wear .And not what the likes of social media and the net hype dictates the watch you must have at any price just to think you have something special on your wrist.Now if they ever made a Daytona like my 6263 with modern auto movement,and simple black aluminium insert then perhaps I might be interested in a Daytona but at retail price or less.
I've owned one for years.........I own it because I love it.....the dial layout, the black outline on the subdials of the white face......that's me. I was merely commenting on your statement about it being "overpriced and overpriced"......One could say that about virtually every modern day watch that commands a steep price over its original retail price. At the end of the day, its scoreboard........the numbers tell the story and based on those numbers, its quite frankly the opposite. Everything else about it is subjective and one's opinions......and you know what they say about opinions........
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 09:18 AM   #48
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
I've owned one for years.........I own it because I love it.....the dial layout, the black outline on the subdials of the white face......that's me. I was merely commenting on your statement about it being "overpriced and overpriced"......One could say that about virtually every modern day watch that commands a steep price over its original retail price. At the end of the day, its scoreboard........the numbers tell the story and based on those numbers, its quite frankly the opposite. Everything else about it is subjective and one's opinions......and you know what they say about opinions........
At MSRP, a SS Daytona is one of the best bang for the buck watches out there actually imo. You get a column-wheel chronograph and one that already has the next gen moment and has for 20 years now. Plus a 72 hour power reserve, thick classic inspired sapphire and extreme comfort and tough to beat. Part of the allure of the Daytona is the total package in a classic sizing. Anyone that prefers 5 digits, really needs to look to the Daytona for a 5 digit feel combined with the 6 digit quality feel.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote