The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 July 2020, 11:35 PM   #1
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Is BMG-Tech here to stay?

Curious what all of you thought about the BMG (bulk metallic glass) material that panerai launched a few years ago, will it be around in 5 or 10 years? Is it a big seller for them?

Looks like Titanium, isn't as light as Titanium, but is supposedly more scratch-resistant than titanium and steel. Also these watches lack the quick change strap system for some reason? Anyone know why?
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:23 AM   #2
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

I guess they don’t have the quick strap system because Panerai is scared of customers screwing with too much torque and may break the case same goes for Carbotech or ceramic
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 05:14 AM   #3
ajsqm2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashblue View Post
I guess they don’t have the quick strap system because Panerai is scared of customers screwing with too much torque and may break the case same goes for Carbotech or ceramic

The quick release strap mechanism isn’t screw-fixed. It’s a “push and pop” mechanism. If worried about over torque, all bmg/ceramic/carbotech would be quick release in lieu of screw fixed.

I love all of panerai’s experimental case materials. I have heard of cracking of the BMG case on a few threads tho. Carbotech seems to be most resilient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajsqm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:14 AM   #4
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Love my BMG even though the bezel cracked. Panerai quickly took care of the repair. It’s a great material, but is very finicky to produce. I think they had some issues with earlier pieces (mine included), but have sorted the production issues. It’s been some time since I’ve heard of a new problem. It’s a really stunning piece.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

The OG Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:52 AM   #5
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsqm2 View Post
The quick release strap mechanism isn’t screw-fixed. It’s a “push and pop” mechanism. If worried about over torque, all bmg/ceramic/carbotech would be quick release in lieu of screw fixed.

I love all of panerai’s experimental case materials. I have heard of cracking of the BMG case on a few threads tho. Carbotech seems to be most resilient.

I guess that is too difficult to produce that’s why the go with the spring bar as soon as the material gets a bit exotic
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:59 AM   #6
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
Love my BMG even though the bezel cracked. Panerai quickly took care of the repair. It’s a great material, but is very finicky to produce. I think they had some issues with earlier pieces (mine included), but have sorted the production issues. It’s been some time since I’ve heard of a new problem. It’s a really stunning piece.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

Thanks! How has it held up to wear regarding scratches
Old 12 July 2020, 07:06 AM   #7
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Diver View Post
Thanks! How has it held up to wear regarding scratches

No scratches at all. Not saying it’s scratch-proof, don’t believe anything is, but it’s certainly resistant.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

The OG Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 07:58 AM   #8
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I was interested until a saw the issues that some were having. Given I was able to find a 1305 for less than half as much and Panerai ti cases seem to be pretty fool proof, I'm happy with my decision. Same movement, same case design, stronger, lighter with a better strap changing system. Was able to get a 1305 and a 375 for roughly the price of a BMG. I like that Panerai experiments with new case materials but the markup on the materials without improving anything else isn't a strong selling point for me. Especially given my positive experience with their ss and ti.
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:48 AM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The BMG Tech is cool, but I'm not sure it's something we really "need" as a pervasive case material. I think innovating with new materials is important, but Panerai really seems to have doubled down on new case materials and making them more and more mainstream so they can charge more for pieces.

Every case material has its drawbacks if we compare it to steel or titanium as the gold standard. I just wish Panerai focused more on cleaning up their collection and making it more coherent rather than just offering essentially the 1312 in as many case materials as possible.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:07 AM   #10
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Icon19

I think the BMG-Tech is a cool idea.
Appearance of steel/Titanium but more scratch-resistant and possibly more corrosion-resistant. Problem is it looks just like the other metals so you're paying for the same look. Now the blue dial is cool, cost to Panerai is the same as black I would guess so they make some money on upcharging for the blue dial.

Like others, I have heard of a few problems earlier on with lugs breaking. I would hope that was remedied but I have never seen Panerai say they've addressed it or corrected anything, maybe they have.

The cost is so much greater for the same look with a different color dial. Now more scratch-resistance is really great but it's hard to quantify.

I think they'd sell more if they brought the price down though, even a couple grand...

Another thing is the screws through the lugs instead of the quick-change strap system the other submersibles have. I actually have had a screw come loose on my panerai buckle, luckily I saw it before the watch fell. I would venture to say the quick-pin system is a better mousetrap, but I'm not an engineer.

Anyway I was curious what y'all thought about it. Thanks for your input
Old 20 August 2021, 02:37 PM   #11
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
No scratches at all. Not saying it’s scratch-proof, don’t believe anything is, but it’s certainly resistant.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

What do you think of it now?
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 04:37 PM   #12
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Its glass... So many have shattered..
Old 6 September 2021, 04:59 AM   #13
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Diver View Post
I think the BMG-Tech is a cool idea.
Appearance of steel/Titanium but more scratch-resistant and possibly more corrosion-resistant. Problem is it looks just like the other metals so you're paying for the same look. Now the blue dial is cool, cost to Panerai is the same as black I would guess so they make some money on upcharging for the blue dial.

Like others, I have heard of a few problems earlier on with lugs breaking. I would hope that was remedied but I have never seen Panerai say they've addressed it or corrected anything, maybe they have.

The cost is so much greater for the same look with a different color dial. Now more scratch-resistance is really great but it's hard to quantify.

I think they'd sell more if they brought the price down though, even a couple grand...

Another thing is the screws through the lugs instead of the quick-change strap system the other submersibles have. I actually have had a screw come loose on my panerai buckle, luckily I saw it before the watch fell. I would venture to say the quick-pin system is a better mousetrap, but I'm not an engineer.

Anyway I was curious what y'all thought about it. Thanks for your input

Agree, its about $3k too expensive, as demonstrated by the secondary market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 04:14 AM   #14
Scott R
"TRF" Member

Anyone have any info if Panerai fixed the Bmg-tech problems? Specifically cracking and chipping?

Shouldn’t cracking and chirping be covered under warranty?
Scott R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 03:16 PM   #15
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
Anyone have any info if Panerai fixed the Bmg-tech problems? Specifically cracking and chipping?

Depends what caused the crack or chip in the first place
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 04:44 AM   #16
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post

Do you have any links to pictures of this happening? I have only heard rumors of it and I'm curious.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 06:58 PM   #17
56Diver
"TRF" Member

From what I have seen on forums, it was mostly the T series serial number that had issues.

It’s easy to Google and find info

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/b...ssues.4855641/
Old 29 October 2021, 04:19 AM   #18
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Thanks!
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote