The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 May 2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

Maxi dial in 16610

I have a 2008 M serial 16610, and I am always drawn to the Maxi dial subs, espeically pictures ive seen of 16610LV's with a black bezel swap. Is it considered ridiculous to source a 116610LN maxi dial and put it into my 2008 M serial? Of course I would retain the original dial for my own or if I ever decided to part with it. Would this hurt the resale of the watch ever? and would this be considered a "franken sub"? Not looking to degrade the watch or have it lose any value. I just do really appreciate the maxi dial and think the best sub is a 16610 with maxi dial and black bezel. Thoughts???
Pure_class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 10:22 AM   #2
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi

I think that the 116610 dial has blue lume. It would be a nice contrast with the 16610ln/lv green lume hands.
Old 17 May 2020, 10:39 AM   #3
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
You would need a 16610LV dial for it to work. They are also Maxi.
myc ritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 11:08 AM   #4
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myc ritz View Post
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 12:05 PM   #5
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
it’d be easier to get a 16610lv and swap the bezel with your 16610

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 12:35 PM   #6
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
Definitely swap the hands also. Will look funny imo if you don't. Skinny hands, fate markers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 01:08 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
When I bough my 16610LV in 2008 I also bought a spare bezel with a black insert.

I haven’t bothered to swap it yet.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

Would adding a 116610LN or 16610LV dial and handset make the sub lose value as it has been modded? I would be using genuine rolex dial and hands..
Old 10 July 2020, 10:08 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_class View Post
Would adding a 116610LN or 16610LV dial and handset make the sub lose value as it has been modded? I would be using genuine rolex dial and hands..
As the 16610LV or the 116610 dial were not originally fitted would be considered by many a franken Rolex watch, and yes to many would lose its value, better option sell your 16610 and buy a 116610.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:13 PM   #10
dricig
"TRF" Member

You are creating a Frankenwatch since even with original Rolex parts the 16610 with maxi dial was not made. It's your watch to do what you please, but it will look like a fake.
I personally prefer the smaller plots and hands of the 16610. and why risk opening the watch up, don't fix what ain't broke!
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:15 PM   #11
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

This is what I would be going for look wise. Possibly even adding a glidelock eventually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maxi 1.JPG (93.9 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg Maxi 2.JPG (111.1 KB, 719 views)
Old 10 July 2020, 10:19 PM   #12
Platypus
Banned

That's a frankenwatch. Even a 16610LV with the green bezel swapped to black would technically be considered a franken.

Quote:
This is what I would be going for look wise. Possibly even adding a glidelock eventually.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:45 PM   #13
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricig View Post
You are creating a Frankenwatch since even with original Rolex parts the 16610 with maxi dial was not made. It's your watch to do what you please, but it will look like a fake.
I personally prefer the smaller plots and hands of the 16610. and why risk opening the watch up, don't fix what ain't broke!
I totally agree.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:15 PM   #14
whited3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
I have a 2008 M serial 16610, and I am always drawn to the Maxi dial subs, espeically pictures ive seen of 16610LV's with a black bezel swap. Is it considered ridiculous to source a 116610LN maxi dial and put it into my 2008 M serial? Of course I would retain the original dial for my own or if I ever decided to part with it. Would this hurt the resale of the watch ever? and would this be considered a "franken sub"? Not looking to degrade the watch or have it lose any value. I just do really appreciate the maxi dial and think the best sub is a 16610 with maxi dial and black bezel. Thoughts???
So it's only going to hurt the resale if you leave the maxi dial in there, because as folks have generally stated deviation from factory spec is "franken". People also don't like to buy watches that have been tinkered with.

Swapping back and forth should be trivial for a competent watchmaker and I'd liken this with swapping wheels on a car and saving the originals. Both the watch and the car could get royally messed up, but it's really not a concern if done right.

At this point we could cite reason after reason (after reason..) to decide one way or another. Your tolerance for risk, and the skill and resources available to you should dictate your decision.

Now personally if I had such an itch, I'm the type of guy that would go for it. Luckily I have the SD4k
whited3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:44 PM   #15
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

All great feedback! Yeah I definitely don't like messing with the factory specs or creating a franken watch, especially if it can hurt any value.
Old 11 July 2020, 12:10 AM   #16
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
The 16610 is perhaps one of the most balanced watches out there. I would leave it alone. The bloat in almost their entire line is not a welcome look for me and introduced for the sole purpose of increasing wrist presence.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:53 AM   #17
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks for the input, I was somehow considering the same move but maybe the slightly smaller and less contrasting bezel goes well with the smaller dots. Seeing the photos of the 16610 with Maxi dial is what I thought to obtain, but something in it doesn't work 100%. Hard to say.. the comparison with the wheels of the car is fine, but on the watch a dial swap is a bit more. The wheels of a car could be the bracelet in a better analogy? Who knows..
Old 11 July 2020, 02:37 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you want a maxi-dial, get a watch that comes with one originally.

That said, I would be the first to make a change to my watch if I had access already to the parts and wanted the look. Most folks want to do it cheap, and the parts and labor for many changes do not make much financial sense.

If you need a push, ask Jocke.
Old 11 July 2020, 04:10 AM   #19
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
As someone who got interested with Rolex during the Ceramic era, one of my biggest disappointments with 5 digits is the non maxi dials. Legible, but not as attractive to me, and inferior lume. I would do that swap if the correct parts could be sourced.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 04:32 AM   #20
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Honestly if money was no object? I'd add the maxi-dial and hands, and a red second hand from a Yachtmaster. And a non-cyclops crystal. Why not have something that speaks to your taste?
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 05:02 AM   #21
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

I simply wonder if the maxi dial fits well on the slimmer 5 digit case. Considering that Rolex offered the maxi dial only with the less dark Kermit bezel. I wonder if they didn't simply know very well what they were doing. Maybe we should simply get used to the all-slimmer look of the 5 digit series. I, for example, love the cling of the older bracelet, it's so "tool watch".
Old 11 July 2020, 05:17 AM   #22
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Datejust View Post
I simply wonder if the maxi dial fits well on the slimmer 5 digit case. Considering that Rolex offered the maxi dial only with the less dark Kermit bezel. I wonder if they didn't simply know very well what they were doing. Maybe we should simply get used to the all-slimmer look of the 5 digit series. I, for example, love the cling of the older bracelet, it's so "tool watch".
Sub and DJ and most of th OYsters have the same size at the dial.

Here is something we do a few years back.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 05:45 AM   #23
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
Buy a 16610LV and change the bezel to a black one, be sure to keep the green one as they demand a premium.
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 05:49 AM   #24
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I would leave the 16610 alone, if it were mine.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:02 AM   #25
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette boy 52 View Post
Buy a 16610LV and change the bezel to a black one, be sure to keep the green one as they demand a premium.
Unfortunately the 16610LV is quite expensive nowadays. For what I've understood, with less than1K you can source maxi dial and hands, so this is the easiest way.
Old 11 July 2020, 06:27 AM   #26
Pure_class
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Datejust View Post
Unfortunately the 16610LV is quite expensive nowadays. For what I've understood, with less than1K you can source maxi dial and hands, so this is the easiest way.
Correct Bruno. That is one of the bigger reasons. If i could grab a 16610LV for similar price to a 16610 id do that and just simply swap the bezel for a while, but paying $13k+ just isnt in the cards haha. and yeah I priced out grabbing the dial and hands for under $1k all genuine rolex of course. labor would be a couple hundred i believe. Now adding a glidelock bracelet would def be way less cost effective. Of course all of this is to keep the slimmer 5 digit style but have maxi indices and hands...
Old 11 July 2020, 07:06 AM   #27
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct Bruno. That is one of the bigger reasons. If i could grab a 16610LV for similar price to a 16610 id do that and just simply swap the bezel for a while, but paying $13k+ just isnt in the cards haha. and yeah I priced out grabbing the dial and hands for under $1k all genuine rolex of course. labor would be a couple hundred i believe. Now adding a glidelock bracelet would def be way less cost effective. Of course all of this is to keep the slimmer 5 digit style but have maxi indices and hands...
I understand you. Obviously the money for dial and hands can be considered some kind of money invested, if your watchmaker won't destroy anything (LOL), you should be able to get all your money back when selling the 16610 in its original shape and the spares separately. I personally maybe am getting used to the smaller dots.
Old 11 July 2020, 09:14 AM   #28
dricig
"TRF" Member

The Maxi dial and hands look better on the Maxi case 6 digits.
The availability of the maxi dial and hands are the reason that people are getting ripped of on franken kermits.
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 11:26 PM   #29
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If you want a maxi-dial, get a watch that comes with one originally.

That said, I would be the first to make a change to my watch if I had access already to the parts and wanted the look. Most folks want to do it cheap, and the parts and labor for many changes do not make much financial sense.

If you need a push, ask Jocke.
I made the mistake of asking for advice from Jocke and ended up with a lv with a green date wheel, gold winding crown a/r cyclops crystal and nato strap.
Old 13 July 2020, 02:31 AM   #30
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc ritz View Post
this
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote