The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2020, 07:14 AM   #31
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Don't see any point in such posts. Okay, so you have $10K cash in hand, so you should be given out of stock item? It is not an item your life depends, it's still a luxury item and they always produce little less quantity than demand to keep the brand alive. If all ADs are selling out all watches all the time, why should Rolex get the blame just coz you didn't get one. It could be attributed to any luxury product, nothing unique with Rolex. Someone just woke after 15 years and think world is still same as it was decades back is just not reasonable. It's more than often such posts are from new users who are away from Rolex or any such hard to get luxury product.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 07:15 AM   #32
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

In-person is best. Based on my time on the forums, last year it would take roughly one month to source a Sub. This year, COVID shutdown Rolex, forced them to defer launching their new models, which just may have included a refreshed Submariner. Unstable sales channels probably led to a bit of a reduction in the number of shipments.

While ADs play games there are a lot of other factors to consider. There are outstanding ADs, and Sales Staff out there - one month, during a global pandemic, Not that bad.

Ask some local TRF members if they have a preferred local AD, drop by in person and you are on your way. If you need it now, F5 + DavidSW.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 07:19 AM   #33
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Yeah, the Rolex buying experience sucks. If you want a watch with the same quality at half the price that is readily available look into Omega SMP300 or Planet Ocean (my preference of the two). You can typically get a nice discount off MSRP at an AD or you can just buy new online for some big discounts. Honestly that would be my recommendation. Tudor is great too, though its association with Rolex makes it difficult for some people to overcome the "poor man's Rolex" garbage.
Old 21 June 2020, 07:34 AM   #34
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
FWIW, Bernard Watch is in Austin and they are a legit Grey Dealer, they probably have the watch you are looking for right now.

But I hear you, I put my feelers out for an Explorer 1 or OP39 this week for a Birthday purchase in October. If I can't locate one from a Grey or AD by then, screw Rolex. I'll buy an Omega.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 07:35 AM   #35
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
90% of Rolex product line is readily available to purchase from an AD. Buy yourself a brand new DJ or OP and you will have a sensational watch that can last you a lifetime
Good advice! I got my watch in one day and I paid less than MSRP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 900000000000000000000000000.jpg (54.6 KB, 527 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 07:41 AM   #36
campfire
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum OP. Hope you get the watch soon. All the best.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:02 AM   #37
kumar75203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrane View Post
I am going to be up in Dallas at the end of July so maybe I can go to a dealer or two then.
Not worth the effort. None of them display anything in stock and you'd have to be a VIP to have a shot at anything. You have a <5% chance of getting lucky in a small(ish) town. Basically 0 chance in a metropolitan area.

There are a handful of extremely trusted grey market sellers. Buy from one of them and you'll have your watch by 10:30 AM the next day.
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:10 AM   #38
kumar75203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Don't see any point in such posts. Okay, so you have $10K cash in hand, so you should be given out of stock item? It is not an item your life depends, it's still a luxury item and they always produce little less quantity than demand to keep the brand alive. If all ADs are selling out all watches all the time, why should Rolex get the blame just coz you didn't get one. It could be attributed to any luxury product, nothing unique with Rolex. Someone just woke after 15 years and think world is still same as it was decades back is just not reasonable. It's more than often such posts are from new users who are away from Rolex or any such hard to get luxury product.
Except the item isn't usually out of stock. They usually keep them in the back for VIP customers or try to bundle them and pawn off undesirable merchandise.

That's their prerogative as a business owner I guess. I find it pretty [insert adjective] when the brand loyalists defend these practices and basically call the consumer not worthy enough. It's a mass produced Rolex dude. They're only hard to get because of shiesty dealers. You're not special because you have a bunch of posts on a watch forum.
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:15 AM   #39
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar75203 View Post
Except the item isn't usually out of stock. They usually keep them in the back for VIP customers or try to bundle them and pawn off undesirable merchandise.

That's their prerogative as a business owner I guess. I find it pretty [insert adjective] when the brand loyalists defend these practices and basically call the consumer not worthy enough. It's a mass produced Rolex dude. They're only hard to get because of shiesty dealers.

If they put them in the display case they would sell out instantly (probably to a flipper), and you still wouldn't be able to buy one. Doesn't matter if they actually don't have it in stock, or if they're hiding it in back.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:15 AM   #40
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
Buy pre-owned. I cannot recommend Crown and Caliber enough.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:22 AM   #41
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I would buy from a grey maybe a vintage sub or a gmt I wouldn’t waste my time with my name on a waiting list.But then again you said it yourself you aren’t really a watch guy why not pick another brand that you can just walk in and buy a new watch if that’s what you want?
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:27 AM   #42
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
sums it up
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:27 AM   #43
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar75203 View Post

That's their prerogative as a business owner I guess. I find it pretty [insert adjective] when the brand loyalists defend these practices and basically call the consumer not worthy enough. It's a mass produced Rolex dude. They're only hard to get because of shiesty dealers. You're not special because you have a bunch of posts on a watch forum.
So, 3.5 years I walked and bought a Hulk in 10 mins from the display case and with discount. The market was easy. If you didn't blame them then why blame now? Now the demand is just higher. You would be so wrong to believe that there's no higher demand. What's VIP customer? Who has history that proves that they buy watches for personal use and not just buy and try to sell for more profit and kept the AD business going for past few years? Why would an AD sell the same watch for same price for a new user if Rolex is cracking down and discouraging grey sales of their high demand watches instead of the customers who supported them even when grey market was cheaper than AD price?
Old 21 June 2020, 08:32 AM   #44
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex has lost control of their market. It’s a mess & shame on them for letting it happen.

You should be sold their watch via an AD & have a great experience.

If they want to limit the number of pieces in circulation to maintain exclusivity then fine. Stick up the price.
This might be what you prefer, but it's not in general how exclusive luxury products work, because that's not what's best for the brand. Rolex hasn't "lost control" -- they've successfully moved their product up a rather heady tier of elite luxury products that have always operated this way.

This isn't costing Rolex money. As noted earlier in this thread, 90% of Rolex products are readily available at dealers (either immediately or after a rather short wait). The ones that aren't available more than pay for the "lost" sales by driving brand prestige and exclusivity.

Whether Rolex wants this situation to be permanent is a separate issue, but the brand is almost certainly not considering this a failure of any kind. This is what the highest level of luxury goods looks like.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:32 AM   #45
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So, 3.5 years I walked and bought a Hulk in 10 mins from the display case and with discount. The market was easy. If you didn't blame them then why blame now? Now the demand is just higher. You would be so wrong to believe that there's no higher demand. What's VIP customer? Who has history that proves that they buy watches for personal use and not just buy and try to sell for more profit and kept the AD business going for past few years? Why would an AD sell the same watch for same price for a new user if Rolex is cracking down and discouraging grey sales of their high demand watches instead of the customers who supported them even when grey market was cheaper than AD price?
people are too entitled, its the same reason people are hating on greys for selling above msrp when these same greys gave huge discounts for everything 4+ yrs ago
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:37 AM   #46
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the whole point of this post is that OP just became "woke" (as the kids like to say), and it was a pretty jarring experience--which is completely reasonable and understandable.

TRF community members tend to forget that we're a tiny minority of Rolex enthusiasts/buyers. Most people don't have their finger on the pulse of the market. Most new buyers assume you can, in fact, walk into an AD and purchase a watch of your choosing. And most people are taken aback when they're told their money isn't good enough, and/or are treated poorly (or even laughed at).

Show some consideration, for goodness sake.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
jfp2476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:37 AM   #47
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Yeah, the Rolex buying experience sucks. If you want a watch with the same quality at half the price that is readily available look into Omega SMP300 or Planet Ocean (my preference of the two). You can typically get a nice discount off MSRP at an AD or you can just buy new online for some big discounts. Honestly that would be my recommendation. Tudor is great too, though its association with Rolex makes it difficult for some people to overcome the "poor man's Rolex" garbage.
Agree, this is an option.

But the heart wants what the heart wants. If it it's going to be the main watch in your collection, wait and buy what you really want. Buy once and buy right.

Only you can decide if you would be happy with an Omega. Omega makes a great watch.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:39 AM   #48
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
I mean just be honest, for new customers to the Rolex brand who want SS sports watches that Rolex markets like there’s no tomorrow...it really does suck. Rolex is a very big part of the reason. Is it the end of the world...no. But for a new customer who walks into an AD, which Rolex preaches ad nauseam is the place to go to get the BLRO, and then get hit with all the AD BS and games is a sad state of affairs.

So the new customer goes home and googles “how do I get a SS sports Rolex” and eventually stumbles across Greys with dozens of like new models of the watch they want for thousands over MSRP. Suddenly they realize there is no “shortage”...just games and AD strong arm tactics

Maybe Rolex should start advertising Greys and telling customers, if you can’t find this watch we are shoving down your throat at an AD, try DavidSW. He is an Authorized Grey Dealer

So lay off the Rolex kool-aid and just acknowledge they have allowed this situation to absolutely get out of hand
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:39 AM   #49
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barters View Post
Rolex has lost control of their market. It’s a mess & shame on them for letting it happen.

You should be sold their watch via an AD & have a great experience.

If they want to limit the number of pieces in circulation to maintain exclusivity then fine. Stick up the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. So many brands did that and had tanked and closed their shops. Rolex is veteran and they know increasing prices is not the solution for this problem. So if 100 people are ready to buy Daytona at $13.4K. If they increase the price to $15K, how many you think will be still ready? Still close to 100 right? Let's assume 90. But all the can produce is still 25 for that 100 and demand will remain same. That's not the solution
Old 21 June 2020, 08:43 AM   #50
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2476 View Post
I'm sorry, but the whole point of this post is that OP just became "woke" (as the kids like to say), and it was a pretty jarring experience--which is completely reasonable and understandable.

TRF community members tend to forget that we're a tiny minority of Rolex enthusiasts/buyers. Most people don't have their finger on the pulse of the market. Most new buyers assume you can, in fact, walk into an AD and purchase a watch of your choosing. And most people are taken aback when they're told their money isn't good enough, and/or are treated poorly (or even laughed at).

Show some consideration, for goodness sake.

Yes I also mentioned that suddenly 'new' users discover this forum to complain, diss and blame Rolex as if this is official Rolex forum and we'll pass on the message. Yes Rolex is as hard to get than as any luxury product in demand out there.
Old 21 June 2020, 08:49 AM   #51
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I mean just be honest, for new customers to the Rolex brand who want SS sports watches that Rolex markets like there’s no tomorrow...it really does suck. Rolex is a very big part of the reason. Is it the end of the world...no. But for a new customer who walks into an AD, which Rolex preaches ad nauseam is the place to go to get the BLRO, and then get hit with all the AD BS and games is a sad state of affairs.

So the new customer goes home and googles “how do I get a SS sports Rolex” and eventually stumbles across Greys with dozens of like new models of the watch they want for thousands over MSRP. Suddenly they realize there is no “shortage”...just games and AD strong arm tactics

Maybe Rolex should start advertising Greys and telling customers, if you can’t find this watch we are shoving down your throat at an AD, try DavidSW. He is an Authorized Grey Dealer

So lay off the Rolex kool-aid and just acknowledge they have allowed this situation to absolutely get out of hand
I want to buy AP at retail price without waiting at an AD. I have never owned one. I know I won't get easily on same day but I'm not going to go find an AP forum and go and diss AP day and night. Why is AP not letting me buy their watch without playing games when I have cash?
Old 21 June 2020, 08:50 AM   #52
watchyoutalkingbout
"TRF" Member

Visit some more ADs like you said.

I'm a first time buyer and gave an AD some target dates when I'll have my $ (mid July). I hit him with a few OP39 (there aint many - just dial colors I prefer) options and DJ 41 considerations. I was expecting him to say it'll be a few months - he was vague abt time lines, but Julyish he said might be doable (no blue dials though). I think if I had the money he would have got me something I wanted. I tried a sweet two tone DJ 41 oyster ... maaaaaan.

I didn't ask abt submariners etc etc. Next time I will though.
I tell ya what though - those IWCs are stunning in person.
watchyoutalkingbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 09:03 AM   #53
F33A
"TRF" Member

They don't call them Trusted Dealers for nothing. Pay what they ask or go and buy the bike.
F33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 09:22 AM   #54
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
You can buy from trusted seller on this site... many do and are very happy...
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 09:22 AM   #55
jfp2476
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I also mentioned that suddenly 'new' users discover this forum to complain, diss and blame Rolex as if this is official Rolex forum and we'll pass on the message. Yes Rolex is as hard to get than as any luxury product in demand out there.
Not sure where you're seeing that in OP's post. He's frustrated. He's not sure if this is a workable strategy for the company. He admits he has no relationship with any dealers, and also acknowledges they can't sell what they don't have. He might spend his money on something else. That's all.

If I were new to this situation, I might come here frustrated, incredulous, and with some gripes. Instead of being welcomed and educated, he's derided.

As far as Rolex being as hard to get as "any luxury product", I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that.

Good day.

jfp2476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 10:01 AM   #56
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2476 View Post
As far as Rolex being as hard to get as "any luxury product", I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that.

I agree that Rolex watches are not "hard to get". 98 out of 100 Rolex models are readily available from an AD.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 10:30 AM   #57
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
It's been like that since what, 2016? ADs are becoming increasingly accustomed to it so it must come as a shock to those who've bought watches over the years when they try to get a Sub now.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 11:33 AM   #58
tpool
"TRF" Member

A black sub is easily found with many reputable resellers for a small markup. DavidSW I’ve personally done business with and he’s excellent. My first Rolex was a black sub from a reputable reseller and it’s grown from there. Good luck and don’t be discouraged!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 11:38 AM   #59
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
If they put them in the display case they would sell out instantly (probably to a flipper), and you still wouldn't be able to buy one. Doesn't matter if they actually don't have it in stock, or if they're hiding it in back.
Is this the most logical and best post I’ve read here?
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 11:41 AM   #60
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyoutalkingbout View Post
Visit some more ADs like you said.

I'm a first time buyer and gave an AD some target dates when I'll have my $ (mid July). I hit him with a few OP39 (there aint many - just dial colors I prefer) options and DJ 41 considerations. I was expecting him to say it'll be a few months - he was vague abt time lines, but Julyish he said might be doable (no blue dials though). I think if I had the money he would have got me something I wanted. I tried a sweet two tone DJ 41 oyster ... maaaaaan.

I didn't ask abt submariners etc etc. Next time I will though.
I tell ya what though - those IWCs are stunning in person.

1/3 of iwc watches are just normal steel cheap cases wrapping a sellita (previously eta) movements
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote