The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2020, 11:47 AM   #61
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I mean just be honest, for new customers to the Rolex brand who want SS sports watches that Rolex markets like there’s no tomorrow...it really does suck. Rolex is a very big part of the reason. Is it the end of the world...no. But for a new customer who walks into an AD, which Rolex preaches ad nauseam is the place to go to get the BLRO, and then get hit with all the AD BS and games is a sad state of affairs.

So the new customer goes home and googles “how do I get a SS sports Rolex” and eventually stumbles across Greys with dozens of like new models of the watch they want for thousands over MSRP. Suddenly they realize there is no “shortage”...just games and AD strong arm tactics

Maybe Rolex should start advertising Greys and telling customers, if you can’t find this watch we are shoving down your throat at an AD, try DavidSW. He is an Authorized Grey Dealer

So lay off the Rolex kool-aid and just acknowledge they have allowed this situation to absolutely get out of hand

Demand is increasingly stronger and that’s The only reason

There see tons of unloved brands where the watches are in displays for years and they might suit you more
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 11:50 AM   #62
amanbra
"TRF" Member

yes it's not the best experience, it's super weird buying a luxury product but having to panda to them... thankfully the models that I actually wanted weren't too hard to get. If the watches didn't fit be so well I'd be happily buying elsewhere but with a 6.5 inch wrist I don't have a tonne of options at this price point... In the end though, first world problems...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 12:21 PM   #63
watchyoutalkingbout
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post
1/3 of iwc watches are just normal steel cheap cases wrapping a sellita (previously eta) movements
"You don't say... we'll I'll be."
watchyoutalkingbout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 12:25 PM   #64
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

After looking for a special Rolex for months, I’m still unclear about Rolex HQ’s sales model. By prohibiting an authorized dealer from selling over RRP, that gives an opening to the grey market. If an AD could command market price for a new piece, they would stop selling to the greys, the grey market would shrink, and there would be more inventory available at the AD’s. The number of watches available would not necessarily be greater, but the economic model would be a bit more transparent, and it would benefit the authorized dealer, who you’d think Rolex would want to support. I defer to smarter TRF members to explain.
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 12:32 PM   #65
cvera
"TRF" Member

I'd like to be able to walk in and buy a specific model if I had the funds. With the current state, I get to visit and be told they still don't have what I'm looking for. I still enjoy browsing though, it's easier on the wallet haha
cvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 12:35 PM   #66
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Texascrane, have you compared the newer Submariner, with its maxi case including bigger lugs, with previous versions? Not dissing the new stuff but, if not, you might want to go for an older, used one anyway?
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 12:37 PM   #67
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Hey OP. I was where you are 2 years ago. The AD experience was a kind of WTF wake up call. I wanted a Sub too.

Googling and educating myself on the whole system led to here among other places. Like you I was initially reticent to go to a reseller (grey) or somewhere else. I was imagining that these watches must be incredibly rare if they were impossible to get at frickin' Rolex store! That all the resellers, Chrono24 and so on must all be fake Rolexes or something.

But the deal is they are not rare at all. It's just the market has a lot of perverse incentives for people who buy at AD's resulting in a massive reseller market. The overwhelming percentage of Rolexes sold at watch specific sites and from individuals here are genuine though.

I ended up buying from a reseller since I just didn't have the patience for the game. And as a one watch buyer it just would have been a lot of hassle to buy from an AD. Your time is worth something too.

Browse the forums for awhile and you will learn a LOT about the market. Then reach out to someone and buy what you like.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 12:37 PM   #68
JonnyBCisco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
After looking for a special Rolex for months, I’m still unclear about Rolex HQ’s sales model. By prohibiting an authorized dealer from selling over RRP, that gives an opening to the grey market. If an AD could command market price for a new piece, they would stop selling to the greys, the grey market would shrink, and there would be more inventory available at the AD’s. The number of watches available would not necessarily be greater, but the economic model would be a bit more transparent, and it would benefit the authorized dealer, who you’d think Rolex would want to support. I defer to smarter TRF members to explain.

Yes! You are exactly right. I’m so glad you pointed this out. It isn’t just a supply/demand issue. In my view a big part of this mess could be avoided if the ADs were allowed to sell these hot watches at the market price. As you point out it would dramatically cut down on incentives for grey dealers and flippers to come in a buy up the whole lot of watches because in order to turn a profit they would have to sell them for more than the vast majority of people would be willing to pay. Sure I understand The SS Daytona C is popular... but if the ADs can charge $26-28K for them I suspect they would last longer in the display cases and they would be available for those who want them badly enough.
JonnyBCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 02:13 PM   #69
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
A few months back I dropped in to the Domain Ben Bridge just to browse. I was wearing my BLRO and by chance it was the manager (sorry can’t remember his name) who greeted me. He was very friendly and we talked about the current Rolex situation, and I tried on a couple of other brand pieces they had in the case. About to leave I posed the question “are you seeking new customers?” and he said of course we are. I’d go talk to him.
I would think a Sub would not be that difficult to get in a reasonable amount of time unless Rolex really is about to drop an updated one. If that’s the case there will be a feeding frenzy for a year or more.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 02:40 PM   #70
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

All this waiting gave me time to think. Do I really want an Explorer Polar? I already got a diver with the same dial so no. Hulk? A little small for me. So I think if I buy another Rolex it will be a Datejust. I'll do it when I feel like it. No games, no bullshit. However it's all Rolex loss, because I thought about all those pieces and more and I would have probably got a few if they had been available when I considered them. Impulsive buying is a big part of the luxury market, and right now Grand Seiko made more money with me than Rolex.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 02:51 PM   #71
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I have almost all my Rolex watches purchased online, wired money and next day on my doorstep. Very good experience and much easier than kissing up some AD.
Old 21 June 2020, 03:06 PM   #72
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

OP, I live in Austin, as well, and I can guess which AD you visited in person (I hope). I'm also in the market for a new Rolex, and have let them know which model I'm interested in. I believe the current situation (as in the last few months vs. the last few years in general) is causing even more of the feeling of getting the run-around than you would otherwise get. Moreover, I think (especially with the watch you are talking about) the AD is likely not extremely concerned with whether or not you are going to flip it, but rather that it goes to the "right" person.

I've seen enough to know that this does not SOLELY mean that it goes to someone who was willing to buy a TT DJ for themselves and their wife a few months earlier, though I'm positive that doesn't hurt at all. If you balance what it will take to get one of these watches (i.e., investment of time and relationship building) vs. how much you like the watch, I think you'll come to a pretty clear conclusion on whether it's worth it to you or not.

My advice (rather than simply buying watches that you don't want/need to build up some "credit" with the AD) is to have a relatively cordial and frank conversation with the AD here about what you're ultimately after, and let them know that you understand that it's a crazy world right now, and that it will likely require some amount of wait time. Again, hopefully this is the local establishment as opposed to the chain. THEN, go to the classifieds here and buy a nice older model sub from a respected watch trader, of which there are PLENTY (I'd go PRE maxi-case), at the best price you can find, and bring it to the AD to check out for you. This will show them that you're not a joker, but committed to the watch you're talking about, as well as value their input on it. Stop in to check things out every few weeks or so and maintain a positive relationship with the same salesperson so they know you really want it, and not just on a whim when the time is convenient for you. When the watch does come in, and you're in line to get it, they might even be interested in the watch you bought to hold you over. Moreover, you might find that you don't like the new version as much anyway...
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 03:36 PM   #73
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
OP, i get the impression that you just wanted a nice Rolex watch, and that it doesn't have to be a Sub.

that's good. that means you have an open mind, and you haven't been brainwashed by watch forums that says sports watches are the only way to go.

in which case, see if you like a steel Oyster Perpetual or DateJust. There are models without fluted bezels so it looks less dressy and more versatile.

good luck in the hunt.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 04:33 PM   #74
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrane View Post

I almost bought one about 15 years ago....

I’ve called several dealers (and gone into one) ...

I’m not sure how to convince a dealer that I’m not a flipper if for no other reason than it wouldn’t be worth my time.

I wonder if there’s a point in time where this approach comes back to bite them.

If one of the dealers calls me back and tells me they have a watch for me, I’ll go buy it, but honestly I’m also sitting here thinking that $10k would pay for a really nice new mountain bike and trip this fall.
List of your mistakes ....

You should have bought one 15 years ago .

They get numerous calls a day from all over the world .You are just another one .You did footwork on one .

Bite who ? The AD cant sell you what he does not have .For one Sub,he has hundreds of buyers .
Rolex ? Been very successful for decades and decades,from before you were born .

The mountain bike at $10k will give you instant gratification ..go for it !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 04:38 PM   #75
barters
"TRF" Member

As I said earlier Rolex has lost control of the market.

They should put their consumer at the heart of what they do. They have lost sight of this.

The set of incentives they have created by mispricing the current market has driven ADs to frankly often offer poor customer service (as I suspect they are frustrated) & created an opportunity for grey dealers to enrich themselves.

Note I am not criticising grey dealers, at least ones like DSW.

Rolex should reprice the market. I’m pretty sure for example the SS Daytona market would look different if they came out & said it’s now MSRP $25k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
barters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:36 PM   #76
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Rolex hasn't lost sight of anything. they're doing exactly what they want to do and it's working. Watches are selling like crazy.

Just a few years ago Rolex stainless steel models would gather dust sitting in AD cases. You could buy virtually any watch you wanted with a discount. That's what Rolex doesn't like because that's bad for the brand.

The only way this changes is if people stop buying Rolex watches. However as we've seen, people will do whatever it takes to get a watch with Rolex on the dial.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 05:44 PM   #77
Librandox
Banned

The Rolex buying experience actually sucks. If you want a watch with the same quality at half the price that is readily available look into Omega SMP300 or Planet Ocean (my preference of the two). You can typically get a nice discount off MSRP at an AD or you can just buy new online for some big discounts. Honestly that would be my recommendation.
Old 21 June 2020, 06:02 PM   #78
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
The harsh truth is they don’t “need” your $10k, they can pick and choose their customers.

As above, newbies have a tough time now, and if you don’t already have the AD relationships, it’ll be a struggle.

There are lists of “random joes” all wanting a black sub at MSRP, what makes you stand out in a sea of them to encourage the AD to want to sell to you? At least some purchase history would put you a step ahead.

Also consider the other great watches out there. Maybe consider a Datejust, an Oyster perpetual, Explorer 1/2 or maybe the new Omega seamaster or planet ocean, as they’re superb watches, and you can still aim for a sub longer term.

If none of the above works for you, call up davidsw and pay to play.

Good luck.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:19 PM   #79
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
yes it's not the best experience, it's super weird buying a luxury product but having to panda to them... thankfully the models that I actually wanted weren't too hard to get. If the watches didn't fit be so well I'd be happily buying elsewhere but with a 6.5 inch wrist I don't have a tonne of options at this price point... In the end though, first world problems...
NPI.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:35 PM   #80
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Think women and luxury handbags. Think Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermes. Have you ever gone shopping with your wife/sister/daughter and gone inside those posh boutique stores? The snobbishness, exclusivity, all that.

Women and their handbags. What a funny thing, right.

Now, change women to men. And handbags to Rolex.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 06:40 PM   #81
Ihatecheese
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
Think women and luxury handbags. Think Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermes. Have you ever gone shopping with your wife/sister/daughter and gone inside those posh boutique stores? The snobbishness, exclusivity, all that.

Women and their handbags. What a funny thing, right.

Now, change women to men. And handbags to Rolex.
Yep exactly the same as if the op decided to get into popular handbags. They don't have the handbag the op wants because it is the ubiquitous model everyone wants. It's the more accessable birken. No chance unfortunately.

Less versed guys are just starting to understand how luxury jewellery and bags are sold. Most women and some men have figured out the more you spend with luxury shops, the more chance u have of getting your pref. The predominantly male WIS community still kid themselves they there is some strategic partnerships or relationship that helps lubricate the sale more so than cash and repeat purchases
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 07:49 PM   #82
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrane View Post
I apologize up front for this mini-rant. I’m sure this topic isn’t new.

I’ll start off by saying that I’m not a big “watch guy”. I’ve owned a few watches over the years, and I’m familiar with a few of the nice watch brands, but I’ve never spent much time on watch forums, sites, blogs, etc.

About a month ago I decided I’d like to get a Submariner with date. I want to buy it from an authorized dealer. I almost bought one about 15 years ago and had no idea how much things have changed. Obviously the pandemic has complicated things, but I didn’t realize how difficult it seems to be to actually walk into a dealer, hand then $10k and walk out with a watch.

I’ve called several dealers (and gone into one) and get everything from we’ll put your name on a “list” with no idea of when they’ll have a watch for me, to “sorry, we don’t have any and our list is really long”. It doesn’t help that I live in Austin which isn’t exactly swimming in dealers. I’ve got to say that the lack of transparency is pretty frustrating. I get that they can’t sell me what they don’t have, but it feels like I should be able to give somebody a deposit and a rough expectation of when to come pick up my watch.

I admittedly don’t have a relationship with any jewelers. My wife doesn’t wear jewelry except for an inexpensive necklace I bought her 20 years ago and her wedding/engagement rings. I quit buying her anything else since she never wears it. I’m not sure how to convince a dealer that I’m not a flipper if for no other reason than it wouldn’t be worth my time.

It honestly feels like I’m trying to play a game where I don’t really understand all the rules. I’m not interested in the grey market because I don’t feel informed enough to ensure I’m buying an authentic watch. I guess this approach is working well for Rolex, but it sure is frustrating - which I can’t imagine is a word that any brand wants associated with their purchase experience. I wonder if there’s a point in time where this approach comes back to bite them.

If one of the dealers calls me back and tells me they have a watch for me, I’ll go buy it, but honestly I’m also sitting here thinking that $10k would pay for a really nice new mountain bike and trip this fall.
I live in Arlington with an 8.5% sales tax. I assume that is the same, or higher in Austin. The price of a Sub Date from a Texas authorized dealer is going to be $9710.75 with sales tax. You can get a like new in box Submariner Date with all papers for 10,400 fairly easily from one of the gray market dealers on this site with overnight shipping included and no sales tax if the seller is out of state. Of course it depends on your budget but if I really wanted the watch, I'd go gray.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 08:34 PM   #83
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you want something badly enough, do what you need to do, however long it takes, to get it. If you want to walk into an AD, pay MSRP and walk out with a Sub or Sub Date, it's not going to happen. That's the reality, as you have discovered.

Complaining about it won't make it happen. The energy could be better spent either buying something that you actually can walk out with, or looking elsewhere for your grail.

Good luck with it. Somewhere out there, a watch is waiting for you.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 09:08 PM   #84
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
OP has not posted past original post. Everyone else is deaf.

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 09:44 PM   #85
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Simply supply and demand. If you are not willing to take the chance of being added to a wait list (many are ficticious) and wait possibly for years then go and buy from the grey market. Yes you will likely pay more than the recommended price but at least you will get the watch you want in a realistic period. If you are buying the watch as a keeper then in a few years (or months) you will have forgotten the additional money you paid.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 09:59 PM   #86
tomallen

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
It is unfortunate that a first time buyer gets shot down at an AD. The days of being treated as customer should be treated wanting to spend 10 grand or more on a Rolex are over for now and may never come back. For some first time buyers it may be a once in a life time event commemorating a special day or time.
Old 21 June 2020, 10:10 PM   #87
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Rolex hasn't lost sight of anything. they're doing exactly what they want to do and it's working. Watches are selling like crazy.

Just a few years ago Rolex stainless steel models would gather dust sitting in AD cases. You could buy virtually any watch you wanted with a discount. That's what Rolex doesn't like because that's bad for the brand.

The only way this changes is if people stop buying Rolex watches. However as we've seen, people will do whatever it takes to get a watch with Rolex on the dial.

yeah at current mrsp price, its selling like hot cakes and only left two tone datejust on the shelves..

rolex is doing almost everything right in terms of selling their watches
Old 21 June 2020, 10:14 PM   #88
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Not sure if OP still following here and if all the comments are helpful or just banter at this point.

I do feel this is a sad and accurate representation of the real world buyer, outside the bubble of the forum. At the end of the day these are luxury items that people do save for with an sense of excitement. Without knowing the climate, there is a big disappointment when it’s time to buy.

I don’t have much constructive advice other than to say I get the OP’s perspective and it does indeed suck.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 10:16 PM   #89
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librandox View Post
The Rolex buying experience actually sucks. If you want a watch with the same quality at half the price that is readily available look into Omega SMP300 or Planet Ocean (my preference of the two). You can typically get a nice discount off MSRP at an AD or you can just buy new online for some big discounts. Honestly that would be my recommendation.

like u said, there are huge depreciation for other brands outside of patek, rolex and maybe AP ro.

so why visit the boutique for watches outside these brands and pay likely over a thousand dollars extra for omega instead of going for grey market. to enjoy the handshake and a pleasant smile in return for a thousand dollars?

rolex pieces are selling like hotcakes. and so AD dont even need to do anything just to push the stocks out.
rather, omega on the other hand are collecting dusts on the shelves. the sales folks have to go exra mile to please their customers so they wont go to grey market to save 30% discounts
Old 22 June 2020, 01:29 AM   #90
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
I often compare Rolex and their ADs as the abusive, 10/10 alpha type boyfriend and we the customers are the low self-esteem girlfriend with a mild case of Stockholm syndrome who is not going anywhere despite all the complaining. Because deep down, we know that if we leave the brand for good, another one will simply take our place in the blink of an eye.
Meanwhile, you have brands like Omega playing Mr. Nice Guy, trying so damn hard to get our attention. well, we all know how this story tends to end up. I guess that's what AD relationships are supposed to mean, with the 80/20 rule in full effect here.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote