The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 June 2020, 07:50 AM   #1
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
PAM 1028 - Thoughts?

I have been considering getting a Panerai for a while, but have always held back for a couple of reasons.

First, I really prefer watches on bracelets to watches on straps and it seems that the vast majority of Panerai's offerings have straps.

Second, I don't like "oversized" watches and so many of their watches seem so large.

While out shopping a couple of weeks ago, I saw the PAM 1028 and it checks a few boxes for me - bracelet, 42mm, I love the display case back and the dial color.

So, curious to know the thoughts of the enthusiasts about this model? Thanks in advance for your opinions!
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Following
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 09:45 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds to me like you found your timepiece. It tics all your boxes, including transparent back, and having just installed the bracelet for the PAM01033 I very, very much understand wanting the bracelet. Look forward to wrist shots.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:10 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like it

It sounds like it meets all of your criteria.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Andad

Watch: A few.
To save 250000 members googling Pam 1028 can you put up a pix of the model your are referring to?

if you can't then buy the one you like best.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 11:16 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 24 June 2020, 01:05 PM   #7
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
To save 250000 members googling Pam 1028 can you put up a pix of the model your are referring to?

if you can't then buy the one you like best.
Someone beat me to the punch!

Thanks, enjoythemusic!
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 06:27 AM   #8
djyolky
Banned

I felt like you as well. I usually prefer bracelet, 40-43 mm.

Went into a boutique specifically to try one on and it didn't sing to me at all. I think there's too many angles going on and the bracelet just seemed really bulky. Beautiful dial though.

I'm now contemplating on getting a 683 42mm. submersible. It seems to check off my boxes, I like rubber straps, 42 mm., but I have yet to try it on.

Now I know why the bracelet felt bulky, appears member Enjoythemusic just purchased that same bracelet and it weighs in at 198 grams! Way too much heft for a daily for me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:20 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

DJ, yeah with bracelet she is a beast. Love it personally for that. BTW it is 144 grams with plastic strap.... And yes 198 grams on bracelet.

Old 25 June 2020, 07:40 AM   #10
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
DJ, yeah with bracelet she is a beast. Love it personally for that. BTW it is 144 grams with plastic strap.... And yes 198 grams on bracelet.
Aaah thanks for the correction. Yeah, I remember some serious heft though! Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:10 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

All good

For the PAM 01033 I desired the heft and bold presentation the bracelet offers, and she does not disappoint.

Already have 20 or so straps here as well. Just had steak for dinner, think I'll light up a cigar

Old 25 June 2020, 08:50 AM   #12
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
The pam1028 is the thinnest Panerai you can get, correct? I love the look but they are so bulky for my 6 1/2 inch wrist.
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:21 AM   #13
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
4 different point of views come to mind:

1) the Paneristi (purist) will say that a Pam has to be at least 44mm size and with a strap. So if you talk to this guy he will say that you that Panerai is not for you

2) The practical guy , will say to you buy what you want , and hey better if you buy it on a bracelet because you can add straps. Because if you buy it with strap and then you want the bracelet, the bracelet will cost you more that if you would bought it from the get go.

3) you can make your decision also based on your collection (to an extent). For example , Me : I wouldn’t buy it with bracelet not because I don’t like it, it just that I have Rolexes on my stable and to a degree I would feel that I am duplicating the feel of it, and I want the Pam to represent a completely different choice.

4) or you like to buy all your watches with similar styles , and don’t mind to have all your watches on bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:45 PM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post

1) the Paneristi (purist) will say that a Pam has to be at least 44mm size and with a strap. So if you talk to this guy he will say that you that Panerai is not for you

2) The practical guy , will say to you buy what you want , and hey better if you buy it on a bracelet because you can add straps. Because if you buy it with strap and then you want the bracelet, the bracelet will cost you more that if you would bought it from the get go.

3) you can make your decision also based on your collection (to an extent). For example , Me : I wouldn’t buy it with bracelet not because I don’t like it, it just that I have Rolexes on my stable and to a degree I would feel that I am duplicating the feel of it, and I want the Pam to represent a completely different choice.

4) or you like to buy all your watches with similar styles , and don’t mind to have all your watches on bracelet.

Excellent breakdown.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 08:24 PM   #15
emtee
"TRF" Member

That's a lovely looking Panerai!
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 03:18 AM   #16
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
PAM 1028 - Thoughts?

Quote:

Nice write up!
BTW ...42mm tics the box for me ;) to each his own...

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:38 AM   #17
hark
"TRF" Member

This is my choice for my first Panerai!
hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 05:30 AM   #18
sjap68
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would be the practical guy in this breakdown, I bought the 1058 because I loved the dial rather than because it came on a bracelet, then switched the bracelet to a blue gator strap and adapted an OEM navy rubber Strap I already owned for aquatic and sweaty activity.I have worn it with the bracelet a few times but definitely prefer the look with either the gator or rubber.
sjap68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 12:23 PM   #19
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'm glad I browsed and found this thread before I asked the same question on the 01028. I've never owned a Pam but but been lurking for some time. My largest piece is a Rolex Expll at 42mm and for my 7" wrist i really don't want to go too large. I'm used to the bracelet heft and have a couple heavy ones now. My AD usually only has a few Pams in stock so I've never seen the 1028 so I'm just trying to make sure. I think this one is a Beauty and will be on my hit list as well. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Also considering the 00722 ?
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 12:22 PM   #20
Drew72
"TRF" Member

I just got one and love it. 42mm is as big as I’d want to go (especially since the crown guard adds a lot to its overall wrist presence). Beautiful dial, nice blue contrast on the seconds hand, skeleton back. Checked all the boxes for me. Unfortunately, couldn’t upload photos.

Cheers
Drew
Drew72 is offline   Reply With Quote