The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 July 2020, 04:05 PM   #1
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
What it took to create a successful AD relationship

This has been a common question on the forum. “What did you have to do to be offered a Pepsi or Daytona?” “How much did you spend?”

I recently met someone who has been offered a Daytona twice, so I have a vague idea of the ANSWERS to the above questions.

This is a true story, zero exaggeration.

Scroll to the bottom if you just want the answers. If you want the story, please read along, as it took me a while to type it.

I’m typing this just to answer your questions and out of respect for this great man that I have been fortunate enough to meet.

I met a man that is about 52 years of age, about 8 months ago. I’ll call him Mr. Watch.

We started talking about watches and that led to us having dinner a few weeks later and just kind of getting closer to each other.

He asked me what watch i was interested in next and I said “maybe a GMT but they are really hard to get”

He then told me he wanted to go to the AD to ask for a yellow gold SkyDweller and asked if I would join.

Of course I said yes.

We walked into the AD, and AD that I have been to several times.

When I have walked in (in the past) I am greeted by a “hi, welcome in.” And I walk around and it takes a few minutes for someone to actually come talk to me and ask me if I need help.

When I walked in with my friend, one of the sales ladies said “Mr. Watch! How are you?! Your sales guy is waiting for you, please wait here while I run and get him.”

She speedwalked to the back of the store and got the sales guy.

He said “Mr. Watch! Such a pleasure to see you again. How is the wife? How are the kids? How was your trip to California?”

After they talked about family and church, they talked about watches, just like watch guys talk about watches.

About movements, new releases, old watches, what has changed in their collections and all....

It was amazing. As I’ve never met a sales person that is into watches.

My friend introduced me to the sales guy, and we talked watches for a bit. He then asked me if I am interested in anything.

I shyly and timidly said “I would be great if you can find me a GMT”

He replied “of course I can find you one. I will put you on the list under Mr. Watch as he is one of our PREFERRED customers, and I hope to get your watch sooner than later.”

He told me about how he found TWO Daytona for Mr. Watch but he wasn’t interested, both times, and he respected that.

He then asked for my cell phone number and gave me his.

My friend ordered a YG SkyD with champagne dial, and we left.

When we left I received a message from the sales guy saying how great it was to meet me and saying that he will get me the watch.

That had never happened to me before.

Will he get me the watch?

I really hope so, but even if he doesn’t, I am very thankful for the experience and for the friendship that I have developed with Mr. Watch. I have learned a ton from him and consider him a friend and mentor.

Now to answer the question about how to build the AD relationship.

In talking to Mr. Watch. I learned a few things about his “relationship” to the AD sales guy.

1. Mr. Watch bought his engagement rings from the sales guy 15 years ago, when his finances weren’t what they are today

2. Mr. Watch has bought several watches and other jewelry from the same sales guy for about 15 years

3. Mr. Watch bought a $70,000 USD ring from the sales guy for a wedding anniversary

4. Mr. Watch was offered a Daytona twice and said no twice. (Any flipper would’ve bought to sell, but he said no because he doesn’t like steel Rolex)

5. Mr. Watch is a watch guy and has been one for years. He knows and owns Breitling, Omega, Tag, Panerai and others. He’s not a guy that is just hooked on “hot” Rolex watches.

I think those 5 answers kind of say a lot.

To me, it was a great experience and now I know what a relationship takes.

Thanks for reading.
Old 9 July 2020, 04:11 PM   #2
schoolboy
Banned

Also, I will add that I typed the above with hesitation.

I know some forum members and maybe even some mods will say my story is a lie, there is no way someone said no to a Daytona twice, and that relationships are non existent or whatever

I just wanted to share a pleasant experience that opened my mind, with the forum, hoping that it will answer the question of “how can I become a VIP”

Will I ever be a VIP? Probably not. But I’m happy I met one and learned from the experience!

Sincerely,

Jesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 July 2020, 04:22 PM   #3
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Also, I will add that I typed the above with hesitation.

I know some forum members and maybe even some mods will say my story is a lie, there is no way someone said no to a Daytona twice, and that relationships are non existent or whatever

I just wanted to share a pleasant experience that opened my mind, with the forum, hoping that it will answer the question of “how can I become a VIP”

Will I ever be a VIP? Probably not. But I’m happy I met one and learned from the experience!

Sincerely,

Jesus

That’s a cool story. It must have been fun to experience that. I think you will get your GMT very soon.
Regarding declining a Daytona, I totally believe this and I think it happens all the time. If I were that wealthy to be that much of a VIP I wouldn’t bother. Think about it, if you could afford solid gold or platinum without batting an eye why on earth would you bother with stainless steel? Maybe it’s just me but there’s no way I would consider stainless steel.

Old 9 July 2020, 04:32 PM   #4
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
That’s a cool story. It must have been fun to experience that. I think you will get your GMT very soon.
Regarding declining a Daytona, I totally believe this and I think it happens all the time. If I were that wealthy to be that much of a VIP I wouldn’t bother. Think about it, if you could afford solid gold or platinum without batting an eye why on earth would you bother with stainless steel? Maybe it’s just me but there’s no way I would consider stainless steel.

Thanks for reading Tom!

You’re right. I am not wealthy and for me SS is a lot more accessible than PM or even two tone.

When he said he wanted a SkyD, I mentioned that the SS blue one seems to be the one everyone is after, and he curiously said something like “really? I like the yellow gold one with champagne dial a lot more.”

So I agree with you.

To someone with that kind of money, maybe SS just isn’t a big deal.

I add that he is very respectful and polite by the way.

Not rude or condescending at all.

Old 9 July 2020, 04:34 PM   #5
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No surprises here. Spend a lot, don’t flip, and actually like watches. I assume the first factor is most important.
Old 9 July 2020, 04:43 PM   #6
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I’ve turned down new SS Daytonas.

In one day about three or four years ago I was offered a white dial watch, I already have one and didn’t want two, and a black dial watch. These were both 116520s and I thing the sub dials on the black dial version is a bit too bright for me. I was offered the watches at different ADs. I had bought a WG Daytona at one of these ADs previously, but nothing at the other. I think the new ceramic version had just come out and everyone wanted one of those.

It’s easy to say that I should have bought both and just sold them for a profit, but I didn’t want to do this for various reasons.
Old 9 July 2020, 04:56 PM   #7
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

I can guarantee you that relationships matter...doesn’t mean you automatically get a Daytona if you are friends with an AD, but it goes so much farther than you think- like a lot in life.
Old 9 July 2020, 05:07 PM   #8
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
No surprises here. Spend a lot, don’t flip, and actually like watches. I assume the first factor is most important.

I think the “actually like watches” factor is overlooked

Also, when people say “spend a lot” I never knew what they meant

Now I feel like it means “spend a ton”

But I guess that’s relative

Old 9 July 2020, 05:08 PM   #9
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I’ve turned down new SS Daytonas.

In one day about three or four years ago I was offered a white dial watch, I already have one and didn’t want two, and a black dial watch. These were both 116520s and I thing the sub dials on the black dial version is a bit too bright for me. I was offered the watches at different ADs. I had bought a WG Daytona at one of these ADs previously, but nothing at the other. I think the new ceramic version had just come out and everyone wanted one of those.

It’s easy to say that I should have bought both and just sold them for a profit, but I didn’t want to do this for various reasons.

I believe you. And yes, you would’ve maybe ruined the relationship.

Old 9 July 2020, 05:09 PM   #10
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPWRPATX21 View Post
I can guarantee you that relationships matter...doesn’t mean you automatically get a Daytona if you are friends with an AD, but it goes so much farther than you think- like a lot in life.

As I near the end of my twenties, one of the most valuable things I’ve learned is the value of relationships (not with ADs but in other things in life)
Old 9 July 2020, 05:11 PM   #11
Jonah10
"TRF" Member

In most cases it takes a spending ton of money to get treatment like that. In my personal experience I have referred many customers, so now I get treatment like that. It also has to do a lot with the fact about how nice I am to everyone there and they like. I never ask for coffee or water, never really ask for anything.

In the end it’s all about sales, you have to bring in money. You can do it by referring or spending, then you will get preferred treatment.

Old 9 July 2020, 05:18 PM   #12
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Bingo

Have been offered a Daytona, Pepsi etc endless times, not for me, been a conservative buyer for 25 years (still have all my watches) they respect that and I respect them, pretty simple really.

Good people and things can be found if you look.
Old 9 July 2020, 05:27 PM   #13
LF1925
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Thank you for sharing this. Love the story woven within about the importance of relationships and how a little courtesy and respect sometimes is one of the best forms of currency someone can have.

Even if you're unable to secure a watch near term, you've got a fantastic intro to a long standing relationship with a AD.
Old 9 July 2020, 05:35 PM   #14
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Story makes sense, if you buy a ring of 70K you are a preferred customer.
Nice that you get to ride along.

It’s not strange to say no to a Daytona.
Old 9 July 2020, 05:35 PM   #15
emtee
"TRF" Member

So moral of the story is spend a lot of money on gold watches and you will be offered the hot SS? I don't think anyone has ever said that on here before.

I do hope you get your GMT soon though.
Old 9 July 2020, 05:48 PM   #16
Manu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 | LVc | SkyD
Thanks for the story Jesus, and good luck on getting your GMT soon.
Old 9 July 2020, 06:12 PM   #17
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah10 View Post
In most cases it takes a spending ton of money to get treatment like that. In my personal experience I have referred many customers, so now I get treatment like that. It also has to do a lot with the fact about how nice I am to everyone there and they like. I never ask for coffee or water, never really ask for anything.

In the end it’s all about sales, you have to bring in money. You can do it by referring or spending, then you will get preferred treatment.

Referring customers that buy a lot and being polite does sound like a great idea to me.

Old 9 July 2020, 06:13 PM   #18
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF1925 View Post
Thank you for sharing this. Love the story woven within about the importance of relationships and how a little courtesy and respect sometimes is one of the best forms of currency someone can have.

Even if you're unable to secure a watch near term, you've got a fantastic intro to a long standing relationship with a AD.

You’re welcome and thank you for reading.

As I mentioned, it was a great experience. We’ll see what happens.

Old 9 July 2020, 06:15 PM   #19
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
So moral of the story is spend a lot of money on gold watches and you will be offered the hot SS? I don't think anyone has ever said that on here before.

I do hope you get your GMT soon though.

Well that’s one of the things yes. But I feel like the other 4 points were great points as well.

Thanks

Old 9 July 2020, 06:17 PM   #20
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu74 View Post
Thanks for the story Jesus, and good luck on getting your GMT soon.

Thank you!

I was on the list for the 116710 BLNR and was promised to get one in October of 2018 and have never even seen one in person

So, I’m excited but trying not to be.

Old 9 July 2020, 06:18 PM   #21
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Have been offered a Daytona, Pepsi etc endless times, not for me, been a conservative buyer for 25 years (still have all my watches) they respect that and I respect them, pretty simple really.

I like what you say about “good people.”

Honestly I’m more excited to learn from my new friend than I am about the watch.

He’s a good guy and I’m glad I met him.

Old 9 July 2020, 06:23 PM   #22
MillyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126710BLNR
Great story, thanks for sharing. I agree, actually being a watch guy and discussing it with the SA makes a huge difference.

When I initially enquired about the Sub this March the SA told me it is the only SS model he will be able to source for me as they don't like to offer multiple SS models to 1 customer (assuming this statement is to weed out flippers). A month later he allocated me the Sub for a post lockdown pick up.

We continued to have conversations over lockdown and discussed watches and collections. I told him the 2 other SS Rolex models and a couple of other non rolexwatches I was after, why and my timescales. SA has confirmed they will get allocated to me during my time frame. Whether it happens we shall see but he seemed very confident.

I think the AD/SA wants to understand you are trying to build a collection and not flip and are genuinely interested in watches. Having a realistic timeframe does help too.
Old 9 July 2020, 06:44 PM   #23
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post

This +100. Thanks for sharing OP. It's easy, drop a ton of cash and of course they will cater to you. Unfortunately money talks in this kind of hobby but good for Mr. Watch and his salesperson that they actually like watches.
Old 9 July 2020, 06:45 PM   #24
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Thanks OP! It's a great and informative story.
I've made a couple of posts that there is an unfortunate coincidence between TRF "best practices" and "signs of a flipper".

These are the TRF recommendations:

1. get only steel professional models. No two-tone, no precious metals.
2. get only the most popular steel professional models, such as daytona, pepsi, hulk.
3. ask to keep the hang tag, all the stickers.
4. never, ever pay above MSRP.

if you're an AD, tell me if these doesn't raise red flags about a potential flipper.

Last edited by horseShu; 9 July 2020 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: remove unnecessary phrase
Old 9 July 2020, 06:51 PM   #25
Mike Barnard
Banned

Spend lots of money. Ground breaking.
Old 9 July 2020, 07:14 PM   #26
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well that’s one of the things yes. But I feel like the other 4 points were great points as well.

Thanks

I don't disagree that those other things don't have some value, i'm sure the SA would much rather deal with someone they get along with but the only thing that really matters is that he's spending a lot of money.

He could be a bit of a dick but if he spends enough he will get the watches he wants.
He could be the coolest guy in the world but if he's not spending enough he's not getting offered a Daytona.

I'm sure there is the odd exception but for the most part that is true and that's fine because at the end of the day they are running a business and are in business to make money not make friends with their customers. But if they do become friends with their customers then that's nice.
Old 9 July 2020, 07:19 PM   #27
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

It’s a business, it survives by making money. All the other stuff may be valid, but spending lots of money is the key. Surely we all know that. I always assume I’m engaged in an entirely commercial transaction, in which we both try to be pleasant.
Old 9 July 2020, 07:26 PM   #28
RWH
"TRF" Member

Doesn't seem to work in New York. I have a decent relationship with my ADs and my SAs are nice but they really don't know the products and one of my SAs have been at the AD for 15 years. He is a good salesman not much of a watch guy ��*♂️. All they care about is you spending the big bucks
Old 9 July 2020, 07:28 PM   #29
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I know some forum members and maybe even some mods will say my story is a lie, there is no way someone said no to a Daytona twice,
If I had been offered a Daytona twice I would have turned it down twice. I don't like it. Why would I buy something I don't like?

Last week I was offered a BLNR out of the safe. I turned it down. I want the BLRO and will wait my turn.

The "spend X to get Y" equation doesn't work once you introduce humans. We're complex and irrational. People form likes, dislikes, have good days and bad days.

I have an excellent relationship with a number of businesses who over the years have given me goods or services in exchange for money. Sometimes they have gone out of their way to help me, or appeared to. Inserting myself into their business operations as someone who is somehow special and needs most favoured status would say more about me than the seller. Businesses are in business to generate business.

People who are good at selling make every customer feel like the most special person who has ever walked in. This generates business.
Old 9 July 2020, 08:08 PM   #30
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Nice story ! Thank you for sharing !
Closed Thread