The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2020, 09:07 PM   #61
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on finishing fellowship... based on your initial post and wrist size, between those two I would go w the DJ36 ... if you want it to be a bit sportier then can go w the non-fluted bezel . The subC will no doubt feel much chunkier on your wrist and while you may be able to pull it off at 6.5 inches, it will be more noticeable as you are moving your arms around, changing gloves, etc while scoping .

As you transition into life as an attending and the salary that goes with it, I would suggest being diligent in forming a budget and maximizing your retirement contributions (both qualified and non qualified) to achieve whatever goals you have - after 2-3 years you will get a good idea of what your disposable income is, and then can start visualizing your next rolex . But word of advice if you are going into private practice - plan conservatively- there is a good chance your compensation will remain in flux until the COVID-19 pandemic has fully passed.

Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 09:27 PM   #62
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I'd go a smaller watch with your wrist size. The Sub would look out of place in my opinion. You also don't need the bezel option.
Best of luck with it.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 09:51 PM   #63
08bonnie
"TRF" Member

126234 on my 7.5" wrist. All day comfortable and I enjoy it daily. The Oyster gives it more versatility, imo. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:01 PM   #64
Brny11
"TRF" Member

If you get a DJ, you will still want (and at times need) the sub. If you get the sub, the DJ will be nice to have one day, but by no means a necessity.

I’d 100% go sub. But I am not you. Try them on and get what sings too you.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:36 PM   #65
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

From experience, and going back to my first Rolex in the mid 80’s, a Datejust (they were all 36mm then) and then getting Subs, Explorers, Daytona’s and GMT’s through the years, once you get a sport model the 36 DJ will feel extremely small. You’ll stick it in the safe and forget about it. If you have a smaller wrist I’d go for a 5 digit Sub or a 5513 vintage. You might also consider a Tudor Black Bay 58. Amazing watch, great size for a smaller wrist, and without some of the baggage that can can go with wearing a new Rolex.

If you start down the rabbit hole you’re going to end up with a few or many over time, so look at this as step one and try not to overthink it.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:40 PM   #66
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
This is a great point. I started with a sub and can’t go to the 36 now, feels to small. That is why I got a 41.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:03 AM   #67
Xenon
Banned

I bought my first two Rolexes 25 years ago; a 36mm DJ and a Sub. I wore the DJ so much and it felt so comfortable that the Sub felt clunky and hardly got any wrist time.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:12 AM   #68
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Fellow physician here. The Submariner will probably be the most popular choice here, but I think the Datejust makes the most sense. It's versatile, but still dressy enough that it will look good in the OR suite or in the office. It's all you really need as a daily companion. You'll be able to get your choice of sports models once that GI paycheck starts rolling in. Reward yourself with a DJ!
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:37 AM   #69
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
It's worth repeating that there is no correct watch size for your own wrist. The only thing that matters is how YOU like it.

Tastes changed. Mine did. I used to prefer a large wrist presence in a watch. My Seamasters were always 43mm to 45.5mm. If often felt like my watch entered a room before I did, and that's how I liked it. I wouldn't even consider a watch as "small" as 40mm for fear that it would look like a nickel strapped to my 7 3/4" wrist. Now my sweet spot for watch size is 40-42mm. There is no "future-proofing" with watches and tastes. But you can change the apparent size of a watch by swapping the bracelet or strap. Just something to keep in mind if that DJ36 ever starts to feel too small.
Old 12 July 2020, 12:41 AM   #70
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolashawn View Post
1. Discuss watch dilemma with AD (aka "shared decision making") at new practice location. You'll spot other watch enthusiasts in the med staff lounge who can refer you to their AD if you're moving to a new city for practice.
2. Buy DJ WG/SS on Jubilee (Don't ask for discount)
3. Later thank AD profusely; but acknowledge that you're self conscious about the WG bezel at work (in scrubs) and wonder aloud if you should've gotten the sub...
4. Reach out to AD in SEP if/when new Sub is released - and you'll soon have a dressier DJ watch and a GADA Sub to pass down.
5. FYI: Enjoy along the way. Your first paycheck will make you cry when you see the tax withheld. And after you're blessed with marriage and kids, every dollar will be earmarked for mortgage, loans, car note, private school / 529, 401k, Disney, etc. - and dropping $10k on another watch will feel frivolous... Spoiler Alert: But eventually you'll flourish at work, the kids and 401k will both grow, and the AD (at this point having sourced Valentine's day, Mother's day, Birthday, and/or Xmas Jewelry for you) will conspire with your partner to get you a Grail watch for your mid-life crisis b-day.
This is amazing
NYG1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:47 AM   #71
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
Hi everyone,

I always thought that I would treat myself to my first Rolex when I finished my fellowship (Gastro), but COVID messed things up a bit (I was drafted to take care of COVID patients in my hospital) and it never happened.

I have been dreaming of getting one for probably 10 years. I am looking to start calling around to get one in time for my birthday in September.

I always thought I would get a Submariner. After 10 years of looking at one in pictures, I almost feel like I don't even want it anymore! My tastes, I feel, are evolving as I get older (35 now) and as my needs change.

I have been infatuated with the blue dial/fluted/jubilee DJ36 in white gold/SS for a year or so. I have a very slim 6.5" wrist and am a pretty thin/athletic dude.

I thought I would wear mostly pants and shirts to work, but because we're still post-COVID, everyone including myself is in scrubs. I anticipate I will alternate between the two at some point.

I am so torn. I probably want both watches at some point, but which should I get first?

I worry the sub will ultimately feel too big for me for daily wear although I've tried it on and it seemed ok.

I worry about not having a date function (I don't like the sub date)

I feel like the DJ36 is perfect size for my wrist, but the configuration I love I worry will be too flashy for daily wear.

What would you do in my case?

You can’t go wrong with either references. Your wrist will make a perfect match for the 40mm sub and also the 41mm DJ which in practice is a 39mm due to its slimmer case design.
I would start with the DJ, it’s a renewed reference, it’s one of Rolex’s super timeless models and it is one of the few models that can be dressed up and down without any problem. From shorts to tuxedo and everything in between.
You’ll get the sub later on I’m sure and when that will happen, it’s gonna most probably be the new one that rolex will introduce soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 July 2020, 01:28 AM   #72
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

I don't even have a 6" wrist, lol, (more like 7.5"), and yet I absolutely love the DJ36. I think you will be exceptionally happy with this reference. Imho, it's a handsome, sporty, precision-engineered, go-anywhere watch in a nice compact design. -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 01:30 AM   #73
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
The sub will probably win here because it’s a forum favorite. But the DJ36 is a classic and you definitely can’t go wrong either way. I’d go DJ36 blue dial fluted bezel jubilee bracelet. Classic sizing and style
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 01:38 AM   #74
armen34
"TRF" Member

To be honest, it doesn’t matter which you pick. Get what your heart desires. In a year or two you’ll get the other and you collection will grow as your love for watches grow.
armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:26 AM   #75
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

A classy DJ36 has long been the the first choice of many Rolex owners/collectors. I bet you'll never part with it. Congrats doc.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:52 AM   #76
bkknight369
"TRF" Member

Get a sub. I got it as my first, super happy with it, very easy to wear, shockingly beautiful on the wrist
bkknight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:19 AM   #77
logo
"TRF" Member

As a GI, you may want the sub as you guys kind of “dive deep” as part of the job hehe.

Jokes aside, I’m an MD as well. Scrubs are the norm for me, also a younger guy. I wear a two tone datejust 41mm. It has a date function (which I can’t go without, I use it all the time writing notes and is an extra layer of infection prevention against checking my phone/logging into a computer etc), always looks classy and professional whether in scrubs, a suit or on vacation and ever so subtly it has that extra bit of shine (and gold) to it compared to a submariner, which I like.

So in my view, a datejust (in any styling) is the perfect daily or one-and-only watch, and it’s with good reason the datejust is the best selling Rolex. You won’t be disappointed!

That said, if you buy the datejust, there’s also a good chance you’ll be able to get a submariner easily down the road from your AD. Pace yourself, enjoy your first, and congrats on finishing the fellowship!
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:24 AM   #78
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Sub all the way, I have the same wrists size as you and it fits me just fine and I tend to lean on smaller watches. I love DJ's but I will always opt for the sub. You can't go wrong with either so you should [try] to see them in person before buying one
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:38 AM   #79
G.Costanza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armen34 View Post
To be honest, it doesn’t matter which you pick. Get what your heart desires. In a year or two you’ll get the other and you collection will grow as your love for watches grow.

This. However, if I had to make a choice one way or the other, the DJ may be easier to find before September and that blue dial is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G.Costanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:13 AM   #80
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
My cardiologist and my spine Doctors both have identical DJ TT on jubilees. There is maybe a 30 year age difference between them. That might say something.
Old 12 July 2020, 07:27 AM   #81
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Doc, think about the 5 digit sub if you are concerned about wrist size. I work in the medical field and find almost daily use in my job for timing things. That said, if you don’t think you will have a need, the DJ36 is a fantastic watch.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 07:37 AM   #82
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I would buy the sub for sure surely a dj can be bought at anytime
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 10:09 PM   #83
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
DJ wins every time against the new ceramic sub. Not even close. If we are talking the older 5 digit sub then that’s closer but I’d still go DJ. Never been much of a sub fan. Had a couple but always sold them. Apart from depth rating DJ is just as tough (maybe tougher without the rotating bezel) and will always look good.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 10:20 PM   #84
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

DJ 36 is a great starter Rolex. Offer so much versatility and is subtle on the wrist. A classic.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 11:52 PM   #85
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
My wife is a doc in the same field. Don’t be too blingy. Go with a Sub. Personally, my fav sub are the 16610s. Plus, you can change the inserts if desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
Hi everyone,

I always thought that I would treat myself to my first Rolex when I finished my fellowship (Gastro), but COVID messed things up a bit (I was drafted to take care of COVID patients in my hospital) and it never happened.

I have been dreaming of getting one for probably 10 years. I am looking to start calling around to get one in time for my birthday in September.

I always thought I would get a Submariner. After 10 years of looking at one in pictures, I almost feel like I don't even want it anymore! My tastes, I feel, are evolving as I get older (35 now) and as my needs change.

I have been infatuated with the blue dial/fluted/jubilee DJ36 in white gold/SS for a year or so. I have a very slim 6.5" wrist and am a pretty thin/athletic dude.

I thought I would wear mostly pants and shirts to work, but because we're still post-COVID, everyone including myself is in scrubs. I anticipate I will alternate between the two at some point.

I am so torn. I probably want both watches at some point, but which should I get first?

I worry the sub will ultimately feel too big for me for daily wear although I've tried it on and it seemed ok.

I worry about not having a date function (I don't like the sub date)

I feel like the DJ36 is perfect size for my wrist, but the configuration I love I worry will be too flashy for daily wear.

What would you do in my case?
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:00 AM   #86
mr ling
"TRF" Member

Watch: my P&L
Tastes do change. I myself am a fan of mainly sports models, but I love the Blue 126234, which sounds to be an ideal first Rolex for you. While I can wear bigger watches with a 7" wrist, I would totally wear the 36 over the 41DJ.
mr ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:24 AM   #87
Mick006
"TRF" Member

Is the “Doc” part of the subject line relevant? Or have you acquired a doctor complex at the dawn of your career?
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:36 AM   #88
opaline460
"TRF" Member

The Money Doc makes easily buy both, no need to be torn!
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:23 AM   #89
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
I have a similar size wrist and I think the DJ 36 fits better.

For everyday wear though I prefer the oyster and domed bezel on the DJ. Thats could be a good middle ground option?

If you really want a DJ with fluted and jubilee I would actually go sub first then add the DJ second. Its too dressy for me, but Im not a doctor I work at a tech company with very laid back dress code (tshirt and jeans)
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 03:20 AM   #90
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Congrats on finishing your fellowship! Get the DJ. Enjoy it and it won’t be long until you end up with a sub. Sounds like the DJ is the best fit for you. And it’s great to know what you want.

Best wishes to you and your fellow healthcare professionals. Thank you for your commitment to help.